more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07/02/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 07, 2019, 07:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

I've improved as a goalkeeper at Brighton - David Button

David Button feels he has improved as a goalkeeper since joining Brighton & Hove Albion from Fulham last summer.

The 29-year-old joined the Seagulls on a three-year deal from the Cottagers and has made six appearances this season, four of them in the Premier League while Mathew Ryan was away with Australia at the Asian Cup.

He is again set to feature in the FA Cup fourth round replay at West Brom tonight.

Button has praised Albion goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts and assistant goalkeeping coach Casper Ankergren for his progress at the club and said: "I feel like I've improved, I've loved working with them every day. The service and the quality and feedback we get from them has helped me.

"There's been little things for me to work on and I've enjoyed it so far.

"I know everyone speaks really highly of Ben and I can't speak highly enough of him myself.

"He's been great for me and he's one of the best there is."

Asked if he feels a better goalkeeper now than when he joined Albion, Button said: "I think I do, to be honest.

"I'm at a good age now and probably the only thing that is missing is that run of games I'd like to get at some point.

"Certainly the way that we work, I feel has helped me massively."

Button also praised his relationship with Albion's other keepers, Mathew Ryan and Jason Steele, and said: "We've got a great relationship, me and Maty, Jason Steele as well. We all get on really well.

"It can be tough at times when you're training all week and there's nothing at the end of it for you but at the same time, I almost knew an opportunity would come (while Ryan was at the Asian Cup) so I had to keep myself right.

"There's other ways to improve in training and stuff like that and that's what I've aimed to do this season.

"Hopefully I can progress and eventually get into the team a little bit more."

Button added he has enjoyed life at Brighton so far and said: "I've loved every minute since I've come in.

"It's a great club to be at and to fulfill the dream of playing in the Premier League was a massive carrot that drew me here. I'm really pleased with my decision and hopefully there will be more to come.

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/albion/i-ve-improved-as-a-goalkeeper-at-brighton-david-button-1-8797222

WhiteJC

Fulham waiting on Ryan Sessegnon to sign new contract as talks drag on

On the clock: Ryan Sessegnon's current contract runs out in 2020

Fulham are still waiting for Ryan Sessegnon to sign a new contract — with less than 18 months left on his deal at Craven Cottage.

The 18-year-old, who has been in talks since last year, has had strong interest from Tottenham and Manchester United but stayed at Fulham last summer to play regularly in the Premier League.

Sessegnon has been one of the few positive performers for the club this season, but with the Cottagers fighting to stave off relegation he has found himself out of the team under Claudio Ranieri in recent weeks.

Ranieri has preferred new signing Ryan Babel on the left wing and Joe Bryan at left wing-back, leaving Sessegnon on the bench for the past three matches.

He is unlikely want to drop back into the Championship if Fulham are relegated, but the club are keen to tie him down to a new long-term contract and boss Ranieri said last month that he was optimistic Sessegnon would sign a new deal.

Speaking at the end of last month, Sessegnon said he will give his all to keep Fulham up.

He said: "I want to do everything in my power for this club to stay in this division. Last season we worked so hard to come up. We do not want to go back down straight away. When we do lose, it hurts. It was a very easy decision for me to stay here [last summer].

"The opportunities to play — I was always going to stay here."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-waiting-on-ryan-sessegnon-to-sign-new-contract-as-talks-drag-on-a4058816.html

WhiteJC

Win A Toolbox, From The Penalty Box!

Three lucky Fulham fans will have the chance to participate in our Teng Tools challenge at half-time in our upcoming fixture against Manchester United on Saturday.

The three selected will enter the field of play at half-time and attempt to hit the Teng Tools targets that will have been set up in the goal at the Hammersmith End. The winner of the challenge will win a special edition Fulham Teng Tools toolbox filled with over £1,000 worth of hand tools!

To enter, tell us where the ball is in the box in this famous picture from our victory over United in 2009.

Fill out the form below to win the chance of gracing the hallowed FFC turf at half time on Saturday!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/06/teng-tools-activation

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

To survive in this league you need to put back to back wins together. It was a great comeback against Brighton and it would have been fantastic to follow that up at Selhurst Park, but sadly it wasn't to be. A result is only as good as your next game, so even if we'd managed to get a point it would have at least carried on that confidence. Palace is never an easy place to go but the lads will be disappointing with the performance. Saying that, I think if Aleksandar Mitrović scores that early header then that changes everything. Matches can hinge on little moments, and if that one had gone our way then I'm sure we would have got something from it. We saw an example of that in our favour last season at home to Leeds when Marcus Bettinelli made a brilliant save to keep the score at 1-0, and then seconds later we scored again. It really is fine margins sometimes.

We know Roy Hodgson so we know what Crystal Palace are about; they're going to put men behind the ball and try and hit us on the counter with the speedy players they've got. That's something they do so well, especially at home. And when they get that first goal they had a lead to protect, which Roy's sides are usually pretty good at doing. Whenever you watch a Hodgson team, you can see that every player knows his job, every players knows their role in each scenario.

We got the two new lads through the door on Thursday, and hopefully the addition of Håvard Nordtveit and Lazar Marković will freshen up the squad. Sometimes when you get a player in January, it can galvanise a squad midway through the season. I remember when I was at Portsmouth and we signed Andrés D'Alessandro on January deadline day and he just lifted everyone. Fresh blood can do that for a squad, and hopefully it's the same for us now.

Everyone has been impressed with the job Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has done since taking over at Manchester United. He's gone in and got everyone on side, the players all seem to have massive respect for him and what he did there as a player. I hope he ends up getting the job full-time. They're right back in the mix for a Champions League spot, so they're going to be coming into our game high on confidence, but we're the home side and we need to set about them, make it difficult for them. Claudio will have been working on a gameplan that he thinks can stop United.

We showed against Tottenham that we can match the big boys at the Cottage. That's the good thing about the Premier League, anybody can beat anybody on their day. If we'd have taken our chances against Spurs then we would have won the game, so we need to make sure we're clinical and put away any openings we create on Saturday. If you squander chances up top, it then puts more pressure on the defence, so hopefully we'll have learnt our lesson from the Spurs match.

Speaking of Solskjaer, I remember him scoring against us in a fairly eventful game at Loftus Road. It was our second season in the Prem and we drew 1-1, but we should have won. We won a late penalty and Fabien Barthez was doing all his mind games, banging his studs on the posts etcetera as Steed Malbranque was waiting patiently, and after an eternity he ended up saving the kick. I was still surprised that Steed missed, though, because nothing ever seemed to phase him. He was ice cold. I remember his first training session he nutmegged about five players, so everyone wanted to kick him up in the air! His facial expression never changed, he was so damn cool, so I was shocked when he missed that penalty.

Even though we didn't win that game, getting a point against a team like that is why you want to be in the Premier League, testing yourself against the best. All the effort and hard work you put into getting promoted, that's why you do it. You want to produce your best against the best players. That 1-1 draw, I was obviously playing in midfield which meant I was up against Scholes, Veron, Giggs and Beckham, so I'm up for it before a ball has been kicked. I'm sure they weren't as excited to go up against Sean Davis! What I'm trying to say is that the players will be fully motivated on Saturday, because playing against some of the best in the world is why they're in this game. You want to play well and show what you're capable of against the top players.

I was shocked to hear the news on Tuesday that my former teammate Matt Brazier had passed away. I was a kid on the fringes of the First Team when Matt was at the Club. We used to train at the Bank of England, and us youngsters would get a bus from Clapham Junction, and then there was a long road we'd have to walk up to the training ground. Matt would always be the one to stop and give us a lift whenever he drove past. He was a bit younger than the other guys in the squad so he knew what it was like, and he always looked out for us. He was a very nice guy, with a good left foot too. He didn't play loads at Fulham as he was behind Rufus Brevett in the pecking order, but he definitely had quality and never let us down when called upon. I can't believe he's gone, 42 is no age at all, and my thoughts are with his family.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/06/the-sean-davis-column

WhiteJC

Andre Schurrle, Alfie Mawson, Cyrus Christie - latest Fulham injury news & potential return dates

The latest injury news from Motspur Park ahead of the Manchester United tie

Fulham's poor season continued at Crystal Palace on the weekend and Cyrus Christie's injury in the second half meant their injury list grew just that little bit longer.

Despite having just come out of a transfer window, the club currently have six players that are injured/not match fit ahead of a crucial four months that will decide their Premier League status.

That list includes the likes of Alfie Mawson, Andre Schurrle and new signing Håvard Nordtveit, who has arrived in west London not yet ready to play for the first team.

Right back has been a problem slot for Fulham this season and now with Christie looking to be out injured as a result of that injury he suffered at Selhurst Park it provides yet more problems for Claudio Ranieri.

Here's the latest injury news from Motspur Park.

Andre Schurrle

Type of injury: Knock

Date of injury: January 29 2019

Potential return date: February 2019

Comments: Schurrle suffered the injury in the win over Brighton and Hove Albion as a result of a nasty challenge from Dale Stephens.

He missed the game with Palace but could be in contention for the visit of Manchester United this weekend.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa

Type of injury: Ankle injury

Date of injury: January 14 2018

Comments: Anguissa has returned to first team training after his injury but has missed the past two squads as he looks to get back to match fitness.

He could be in contention to reclaim his spot against Manchester United.

Marcus Bettinelli

Type of injury: Knee

Date of injury: February 2019

Potential return date: Unknown

Comments: Bettinelli has been managing a knee injury all season long and the decision has been made after a consultation to undergo surgery to sort out the problem.

There's no timeframe on his return but he's likely to miss the rest of the season.

Alfie Mawson

Type of injury: Knee

Date of injury: December 29 2018

Potential return date: April 2019

Comments: Mawson underwent surgery after injuring his knee in bizarre circumstances when he changed his boots at half time in the win over Huddersfield Town.

Ranieri hopes to have him back for the final month of the season but more will be known about a timeframe on his return next month when he has a check up on the injury.

Håvard Nordtveit

Type of injury: Ankle injury

Date of injury: January 2019

Comments: Nordtveit suffered a fracture to his ankle at the end of November in a game against Shakhtar and hasn't played since, but has recovered from the injury.

However, he is lacking match fitness at the moment and is managing his return to fitness carefully, meaning it's unlikely we'll see him against Manchester United.

Cyrus Christie

Type of injury: Thigh injury

Date of injury: February 2 2019

Potential return date: Unknown

Comments: Christie was forced off with a thigh injury in the defeat at Palace last weekend, although he was able to walk on it unaided after the game.

It looks unlikely that he'll be back fit for the game with United this weekend.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/andre-schurrle-alfie-mawson-cyrus-15787829

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon's Fulham contract talks aren't going well

Ryan Sessegnon & Fulham

It's been a difficult few weeks for Ryan Sessegnon at Fulham.

The 18-year-old has been dropped for Fulham's last three matches.

Those games have included defeats to Tottenham and Crystal Palace, plus Fulham's win over Brighton.

Sessegnon came off the bench in the Spurs and Brighton games.

The teenager appears to have dropped down Claudio Ranieri's pecking order with the arrival of Ryan Babel.

Sessegnon's Fulham contract talks

Sessegnon is out of contract in 2020, and according to the Evening Standard the player's contract talks are dragging on.

Moreover, the Standard signal a warning to Fulham about Sessegnon's intention should they go down:

He is unlikely want to drop back into the Championship if Fulham are relegated, but the club are keen to tie him down to a new long-term contract and boss Ranieri said last month that he was optimistic Sessegnon would sign a new deal.

The Standard stop short of saying that Sessegnon will leave Craven Cottage this summer, however that feels like the subtext.

Sessegnon has scored twice in the Premier League this season.

Andre Schurrle's Fulham future

There have been mixed reports concerning Andre Schurrle's Fulham future this week.

Schurrle agreed a two-year loan deal with Fulham from Borussia Dortmund last summer.

In recent days German magazine Kicker attributed quotes to Schurrle claiming he'd leave Fulham if they went down.

However, as reported by the BBC, Schurrle has since posted updated quotes:

It is not even close to what I said. Just very bad translating.

(Those quotes were taken) out of context (by a newspaper) trying to produce a false headline.

Let's stick together and fight 'til the end.

Fulham are second bottom of the league on 17 points. They are seven points from safety.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/ryan-sessegnons-fulham-contract-talks-arent-going-well/

WhiteJC

West Ham and Fulham monitor player, €50m asking price in summer, other clubs interested

Real Sociedad have conceded 25 goals in 22 league appearances this season, out of which 10 goals were conceded when Diego Llorente has started in the heart of the back four.

The defender has started in only 11 matches and since he became a regular from the start of November, he's cemented his place in the side and at the same time drawn attention from other clubs.

Wednesday's edition of Mundo Deportivo explains in detail that AS Roma sporting director Monchi was watched the 25-year-old in action, while three clubs from the Premier League also get a mention.

This includes Fulham and West Ham United, and the report claims the London outfits have been monitoring the player.

In the recently concluded winter market, Sociedad never received a bid for Llorente, who arrived at the club from Real Madrid in 2017. His current deal runs down in 2022 and has a release clause of €50m in the contract.

Mundo claims Llorente will only leave the La Liga outfit if there is a proposal that 'exceeds the achievable expectations' of Sociedad.

Real Madrid are also keeping an eye on the Spain international and they have an option to re-sign Llorente for €25m.

That sounds a better deal that West Ham or Fulham paying €50m.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-fulham-monitor-player-e50m-asking-price-summer-clubs-interested/

WhiteJC

The worst teams away from home in Premier League history

With just two points from a possible 39, Fulham have been quite simply terrible away from home this season.

The Cottagers have leaked an eye-watering 32 goals in 13 games on their travels, scoring just eight in reply and have looked more like the Keystone Cops than a squad with a market value of £228.6m.

Claudio Ranieri's side are in serious danger of finishing the season with the worst away record in Premier League history, but the west Londoners are by no means the first to flounder away from their home comforts, nor will they be the last.

Here at Squawka, we've listed the six worst Premier League away records since 38-game seasons began to see which group of players suffered from the greatest bout of homesickness.

6. Aston Villa (2015/16)
Away wins: 1

Away points: 6

Final league position: 20th

After years of decline and close shaves, the curtain finally came down on Aston Villa's time in the Premier League as they finished rock bottom of the table in 2015/16.

Although they only finished with a total of 17 points, their pathetic six-point haul away from Villa Park undoubtedly dented their confidence and was a massive factor in their fall from grace.

A record of 13 goals in 19 away games was symbolic of Villa's lack of firepower that season and the Midlands club are yet to return to the top flight since.

5. Hull City (2016/17)

Final league position: 18th

A 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the 2015/16 play-off final saw Hull make an unlikely return to the Premier League, only for the Yorkshire side to drop straight back down at the first attempt.

A solitary away win at Swansea City on matchday two left the Tigers top of the table on six points, although that proved to be a false dawn as Mike Phelan and, later, Marco Silva could only manage another 28 points from their next 36 games, as they ultimately finished the season with just six points away from home.

4. Hull City (2009/10)
Away wins: 0

Final league position: 19th

After their miraculous survival in their first-ever Premier League season in 2008/09, many Hull fans were filled with optimism heading into the 2009/10 campaign.

That optimism was soon replaced with anguish, though, as the Tigers finished 19th without a single away win and just six points on the road.

The only positive for the brave Hull fans that travelled up and down the country that season was avoiding a repeat of Phil Brown's famous on-the-pitch team talk at the Etihad stadium.

Then again, that could have provided more entertainment than the 12 goals Hull scored in their 19 away games.

3. Watford (1999/00)

Away points: 5

A 1-0 win at Anfield in their third game of the season suggested Watford could defy all the odds and hold on to their Premier League status in 1999/00.

Unfortunately, that was one of the few high points for the late Graham Taylor as the Hornets finished bottom of the league with a grand total of 24 points, with only five of those coming away from Vicarage Road.

2. Burnley (2009/10)

Away points: 4

Final league position: 18th

In 2009/10, Burnley became the first newly promoted club to chalk up four successive home victories at the start of a Premier League season. Their away form, however, was far less impressive as the Clarets failed to score a single goal in their first four away games, losing all of them.

The Lancashire outfit finished the campaign with just four points on the road, with a late-season victory at relegation buddies Hull and a draw at the Etihad the only points secured away from Turf Moor.

Luckily for them, there was already an even more embarrassing away record in the Premier League, which meant they were safe from setting a very unwanted record.

1. Derby County (2007-08)
Away wins: 0

Away points: 3

Here it is, the worst ever Premier League away record, brought to you by the worst Premier League team of all time.

The Rams finished the season with a pitiful 11 points, while Newcastle United, Birmingham City and Fulham should each be given a medal for donating an away point to the beleaguered Midlanders as they were relegated with just eight goals away from Pride Park.

The sight of Dean Leacock and Co. pretending to be Premier League footballers is surely overdue an Oscar for 'best comedy performance'.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/en/news/the-worst-teams-away-from-home-in-premier-league-history/1080341#dGYm8t9CQ7ktLMaA.99

WhiteJC

Premier League clubs make 'positive decision' about away ticket prices

The Premier League placed a cap on the amount away fans are forced to pay for away games in 2016

Tickets for away fans at Premier League matches will be frozen at £30 for the next three years.

The price cap is set to remain with the league's official ready to strongly recommend the measure stays in place at a shareholders meeting on Thursday.

Fans called for a maximum price to be placed on travelling supporters with the cap brought in ahead of the 2016/17 season.

And the cap has worked with clubs seeing a rise in away fans at top flight matches.

The initiative immediately halved the amount visiting fans had to pay to watch their team at the Emirates.

Before the rule came in, the most expensive adult away tickets in the Premier League were: Arsenal at £64, Liverpool at £52, Everton at £48, Manchester United at £46 and West Ham at £45.   

A Football Supporters' Federation spokesperson said: "We have always argued that away supporter attendance needs to be encouraged if the atmosphere and spectacle of a live match is to be sustained.

"There had been a rapid rise in away ticket costs for many supporters and the cap put a halt on that.

"However, we still believe more can be done and we call on the Premier League to look at ways to further reduce concessionary ticket costs and subsidise travel costs when games are moved for TV."

In the first 25 fixtures of this season, there has been an average of 2,300 away supporters attending each match - although there has been an almost 10 per cent rise in no-shows at Premier League games.

Figures show that one club has an 18.4 per cent average figure of punters who don't take their seats for fixtures.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-make-good-13961039

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon, Tom Cairney? Who should be starting in Fulham's strongest Premier League XI

We've taken a look at the questions surrounding Claudio Ranieri's team selections at Craven Cottage

Claudio Ranieri's team choices in the past couple weeks have come in for questioning from fans, with the biggest question being why Ryan Sessegnon isn't playing.

He's started six of Claudio Ranieri's games in charge of Fulham but hasn't been named in the starting XI since the defeat at Burnley earlier in the year, starting just two of the five games in 2019.

The 18-year-old wasn't used at all at Crystal Palace on Saturday as the side were beaten 2-0, with Ranieri instead opting to use January signing Ryan Babel and Tom Cairney as the wide players, with Floyd Ayite and Luciano Vietto getting on instead during the match.

But Sessegnon's omission from the starting line ups isn't the only talking point hanging over Ranieri's team choices - Cairney's positioning, the insistence of playing three centre backs instead of a back four and the complete removal of youth from the squads are all issues to have arose from his 11 games in charge so far.

We've taken a look at those major team selection talking points ahead of a massive couple of months for Ranieri and Fulham.

Should Ryan Sessegnon be starting?

From looking at fan opinion on social media and from talking to fans at games, this is the biggest issue for them.

Last season it would have been unfathomable that Sessegnon, the man who scored 16 goals as Fulham were promoted to the Premier League, wouldn't be starting games for the side.

He has struggled to replicate that form in the top flight having scored just twice, although he has put on the most assists for Fulham this season with five.

But it doesn't seem to be because of that reason that Sessegnon isn't starting, rather that Ranieri prefers the Premier League experience that Andre Schurrle and Babel have.

He's mentioned experience in every press conference since he's started and it's clear how much Ranieri values that, and unfortunately it's not something Sessegnon has.

Of course, the only way to get experience is to play and while Sessegnon hasn't scored, it's clear that he has the ability to play at this level and add a dimension to the team that perhaps Schurrle and Babel don't.

Babel has come in and done well since his signing from Besiktas, but Schurrle has been hit and miss and it's there where fans feel Sessegnon should be starting instead.

Should Fulham play three centre backs or four at the back?

Ranieri has preferred playing three centre backs with wing backs on either side during his time at Fulham, but making the switch to a back four at half time against Brighton inspired a comeback victory with four goals.

Ranieri reverted back to the three against Crystal Palace and then changed again at half time to the back four, but it had the opposite impact with Fulham looking like they lacked any ideas in that last 45.

It's a tough one for Ranieri - five at the back offers greater defensive protection in a side that clearly needs it, but four defenders means there's an extra space in the middle for a midfielder.

However, Ranieri wants width in his team to get crosses into Aleksandar Mitrovic, and having wing backs allows the side to do that.

Whether or not the players are more comfortable with the four at the back or with three is up for debate, but I don't see Ranieri switching from his preferred position any time soon.

Where is Tom Cairney's best position?

Another big talking point is where Cairney fits into a Ranieri side.

He's been used as the number ten and as a right winger, but not in the role that saw him do so well under Slavisa Jokanovic for the past two years.

Recently he's also been in and out of the side, but with Schurrle injured last week came in at right wing once more.

Personally, I can't help but feel he's wasted out wide and that the team aren't getting his best attributes by forcing him to play out wide when he is so clearly suited to a more central role.

Cairney is one of the most influential players Fulham have on the ball, but it just doesn't seem like he fits into the defensive style of football that Ranieri wants his team to play.

It's yet another question mark hanging over Ranieri and his team selections.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/ryan-sessegnon-tom-cairney-who-15789565

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 09/02
So this weekend we welcome Man Utd to the Cottage.
After yet another tepid performance against Palace this week end sees an "in form" Man Utd come to the Cottage, what odds on an upset? very, very long if we play like the 2nd half against Palace, optimistic is we play like the 2nd half against Brighton.
I really can't understand why we can't play well for 90 minutes, or why we can't continue the standard against Brighton?

Remember that its a 12:30 kick-off and if you can't make it to the Cottage you'll be able to see the game live on Sky TV.

Games of Interest...
Saturday 9th
Fulham v Manchester Utd
Palace v West Ham
Huddersfield v Arsenal
Southampton v Cardiff
Brighton v Burnley

Monday 11th
Wolves v Newcastle

come on over to the forum and join in the conversation...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=597

WhiteJC

Look No Further Than Supporting Fulham For The Real Reason

It's that period in the week whereby, in a week where there is no midweek fixture, we're at the midpoint between the last game and the next game.

After losing away to Crystal Palace we welcome Manchester United, to Craven Cottage, for a Premier League game.

But, in all honesty, it's probably a little too early to start delving into our pre-match coverage.

Therefore, a little stuck at what to pontificate about today, I stumbled upon something that caught my eye.

Seemingly, last month was known as 'Dry January' where the population were expected to abstain from drinking alcohol.

Now, as somebody that admits he likes a drink or two, each evening, to wind down after a hard day at the office, it was never my intention to participate.

However, I do admire those that did, but just how deep did that participation go?

The reason I ask is that the newspapers are reporting that far from sales of alcohol decreasing in January, they actually increased by 10%.

Now the official reason being given that the increase was due to those who had abstained from drinking in public houses and bars were drinking at home.

Or, perhaps another reason could be it was down to us Fulham supporters taking to drink to drown our sorrows after the miserable season we've had!

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/look-no-further-than-supporting-fulham-for-the-real-reason/

WhiteJC

David Ornstein: Arsenal looked into recalling Calum Chambers in January

Arsenal looked into recalling Calum Chambers in January, according to David Ornstein in a recent appearance on the Arseblog podcast.

Going into the January transfer window, it seemed like Arsenal might make a defensive signing. Unai Emery confirmed the club were looking for reinforcements in the centre-back position, as well as out wide, but then the focus shifted solely towards wingers by the end of the window.

Denis Suarez, Christopher Nkunku, Yannick Carrasco and Ivan Perisic all had transfer sagas going on into the final days of January, but the only defender even worthy of a gossip piece linking him to Arsenal was Gary Cahill.

Speaking in the Arseblog podcast, which you can listen to in full by following the link, David Ornstein confirmed that Arsenal never came close to making a defensive signing. In fact, the only option they seriously investigated was recalling Calum Chambers from his loan, before eventually deciding against it.

"The only name who really cropped up on [the defensive] front was Calum Chambers and that Arsenal had vaguely explored the possibility of bringing him back from his loan deal at Fulham," Ornstein revealed.

"However, that would've incurred a fee, because he'd played a certain number of games that would've triggered a recall fee. So that was pretty quickly shelved, given that Arsenal's priority with this small amount of money was to perhaps bring in some reinforcements that could really help them in a more attacking sense."

Presumably, Ornstein means to say that Arsenal put clauses in their loan deals, allowing them to recall players who aren't getting any games. As Chambers has become a key part of the Fulham team under Claudio Ranieri, he must have surpassed that minimum-appearance target pretty easily.

You might be wondering why Arsenal wouldn't go for another defender when their Chambers investigations didn't work out. Ornstein explains that there was a worry about filling the club with vast numbers of defenders they'd then struggle to move on in the summer.

"There was no real talk of a defensive piece of recruitment and I think that's mainly based on numbers rather than quality," Ornstein continued. "Arsenal aren't stupid, they know there are defensive issues, but they also have a vast number of players, some of whom will be returning from injury.

"It was seen that a January signing would leave them with a difficult problem come the summer of having to shift a number of players. Perhaps this (a defensive signing) is one they're looking to sort out in the summer and a department they'll be focusing on then."

It's a fair point, as Arsenal are really lacking in defensive quality, not quantity. Come the summer window, the club may well have Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Laurent Koscielny, Shkodran Mustafi, Rob Holding, Calum Chambers, Konstantinos Mavropanos, Krystian Bielik, Julio Pleguezuelo (if he extends his deal as reported) plus youth prospects like Zech Medley, Daniel Ballard and Joseph Olowu.

That's before we even get into players who have filled in at centre-back before, like Nacho Monreal, Mohamed Elneny, Stephan Lichtsteiner, Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Granit Xhaka.

The problem is that most of those 16 options are either ageing, inexperienced, injury-prone or just not good enough. It's a problem the club really do need to work on solving this summer.

http://dailycannon.com/2019/02/david-ornstein-arsenal-looked-into-recalling-calum-chambers-in-january/

WhiteJC

Fulham signing this experienced Swiss star on a free transfer could probably save their season

Johan Djourou

Why Fulham should sign Johan Djourou, who is a free agent

Fulham should consider signing free agent Johan Djourou to solve their defensive crisis. They are desperately fighting for survival this season after a poor first six months back in the top-flight. Claudio Ranieri's team sit 19th in the table, seven points off of 17th placed Burnley.

The Cottagers have the worst defence in the Premier League so far this season, conceding 55 goals, at least nine more than next worst.  The West London side needs to tighten up at the back if they want to keep any hopes of playing top-flight football next season.

Fulham under Ranieri have moved into a back three system with Maxime Le Marchand, Denis Odoi and Tim Ream being the three centre-backs. Arsenal loanee Callum Chambers has been moved into central midfield. The Belgian Odoi is a right-back by trade and is being played slightly out of position by the manager. Nevertheless, he has done a decent job.

Alfie Mawson has been injured since the festive period and isn't close to returning and January recruit Havard Nordveit should be preferred in midfield. Hence, Fulham need an experienced centre-back to help shut up shop at the back. And former Arsenal defender Johan Djourou should be considered by the club.

Johan Djourou is currently a free agent after having his contract with Serie A side S.P.A.L terminated by mutual consent. The Swiss international made 144 senior appearances for Arsenal before moving to Hannover on a season-long loan. The 32-year-old is calm and authoritative on the ball. He is a tall imposing figure who possesses pace, power and wholehearted commitment in addition to his versatility.

He spent the following season at Hamburg on loan at the end of which, he signed for the Bundesliga side on a permanent deal. After four seasons, Djourou moved to Turkey and signed a deal with Antalyaspor. He signed for S.P.A.L a year later before leaving in January in 2019. He also has 75 senior international caps for Switzerland.

Currently a free agent, Djourou would bring in huge amounts of experience and leadership to the Fulham defence. In his short stint in Turkey, he made 17 starts for the club averaging 1.9 interceptions and a brilliant 4.3 clearances.

The Swiss international has always boasted brilliant numbers when it comes to clearances with an impressive career average of 5.4 per game over a span of 193 games. (WhoScored)

Ranieri has to find a way to get past the line this season and the signing of an experienced defender will only bring positives to the club. With 13 games left in the season, each game needs to be treated as a cup final and the addition of Johan Djourou could prove to be a massive factor in those results.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/02/07/fulham-signing-this-experienced-swiss-star-on-a-free-transfer-could-probably-save-their-season/

Neil D

I can't belive we signed another crocked player (Nordtveidt).  After all, with Mawson out until April, we are still awash with centre backs so there's no rush.   Even when he has recovered from the injury, how long before he is match fit?  There is no method in our madness.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Neil D on February 07, 2019, 08:48:46 AM
I can't belive we signed another crocked player (Nordtveidt).  After all, with Mawson out until April, we are still awash with centre backs so there's no rush.   Even when he has recovered from the injury, how long before he is match fit?  There is no method in our madness.

It 'beggar's belief .............
But then again it fits the recruitment pattern!