watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Seri, Anguissa, What DM?, Cairney, and Chambers

Started by Porthogs FC, February 09, 2019, 07:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthogs FC

Signed two very capable GK. Only needed one. Overspent.

We did not bring in a straight up, no nonsense, shield for a back 4, nor did we bring in an RB or LB capable of starting in the PL. On paper, bringing in Mawson, MLM and Chambers WAS, and frankly is, an upgrade on Ream and Odoi. But, only if you have capable RB and LB to track back, are strong on their man and the ball, and a pure, out and out DM to shield them. Missed three key starting 11. Underspent

We spent about $50MM on two players, Anguissa and Seri, that both play best in a system with three midfielders, where they are both neither the DM nor the AM. It should have been one or the other, not both. We overspent on two starters that rely on the same types of surrounding players, but can't play together in the same system. Overspent, and put Cairney, Mcdonald and Johansson on the bench.

Front three, we signed an RW that has a low work rate and is well past his best. Loaned in a CF, Vietto, that hardly scored last season. Have three in Kebano and Ayite and Kamara, one of which could likely have been starting 18. Brought in Mitro (smartest move of the summer). R. Sess was good enough for starting 18, perhaps even starting 11.

In my calculations, we oversigned at GK, undersigned at LB/RB, oversigned at CM, didn't sign a DM, didn't sign starting 11 RW/LW. Additionally, could have sold one of Ream/Odoi, two of Kebano/Ayite/Kamara, shouldn't have signed Vietto/Schurlle.

Could have used the money from NOT signing Fabri, Anguissa, Bryan; NOT loaning in TFM, Vietto, Schurlle. Selling Ream, Ayite, Kebano?; All to sign/loan in STARTING RB, LB, DM, RW, LW.

It's surprising to see just how far off we were. Only possible starting 11 from last year should have been Mitro, Sess, Cairney. This club tapes over holes, rather than actually filling them.

This is all on the recruitment staff. And obviously, Tony Kahn.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Porthogs FC on February 09, 2019, 07:11:24 PM

We did not bring in a straight up, no nonsense, shield for a back 4, nor did we bring in an RB or LB capable of starting in the PL. On paper, bringing in Mawson, MLM and Chambers WAS, and frankly is, an upgrade on Ream and Odoi. But, only if you have capable RB and LB to track back, are strong on their man and the ball, and a pure, out and out DM to shield them. Missed three key starting 11. Underspent

We spent about $50MM on two players, Anguissa and Seri, that both play best in a system with three midfielders, where they are both neither the DM nor the AM. It should have been one or the other, not both. We overspent on two starters that rely on the same types of surrounding players, but can't play together in the same system. Overspent, and put Cairney, Mcdonald and Johansson on the bench.

Front three, we signed an RW that has a low work rate and is well past his best. Loaned in a CF, Vietto, that hardly scored last season. Have three in Kebano and Ayite and Kamara, one of which could likely have been starting 18. Brought in Mitro (smartest move of the summer). R. Sess was good enough for starting 18, perhaps even starting 11.

In my calculations, we oversigned at GK, undersigned at LB/RB, oversigned at CM, didn't sign a DM, didn't sign starting 11 RW/LW. Additionally, could have sold one of Ream/Odoi, two of Kebano/Ayite/Kamara, shouldn't have signed Vietto/Schurlle.

Could have used the money from NOT signing Fabri, Anguissa, Bryan; NOT loaning in TFM, Vietto, Schurlle. Selling Ream, Ayite, Kebano?; All to sign/loan in STARTING RB, LB, DM, RW, LW.

It's surprising to see just how far off we were. Only possible starting 11 from last year should have been Mitro, Sess, Cairney. This club tapes over holes, rather than actually filling them.

And hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Did you make all this known at the end of the summer transfer window or were you wrapped up like the rest of us that our owners had spent big bucks?

I saw very few complain on that transfer deadline day

Porthogs FC

Heeck no, had no clue. Hindsight is wonderful, just looking at, in a business, where we could have improved.assive undertaking this transfer window thing, especially after being promoted.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: DevonFFC on February 09, 2019, 07:18:15 PM

Did you make all this known at the end of the summer transfer window or were you wrapped up like the rest of us that our owners had spent big bucks?

[/b]

You are probably right about the lack of concern at the start of the season but the euphoria of promotion, the stress of not signing enough players soon enough and then the amazement in how much we did spend put any real evaluation on hold.

You may not agree but I believe the late rush in signings stopped any major criticism and we hoped for the best once the dust had settled.

Maybe some are using hindsight but it doesn't alter the facts and under the circumstances your comment means nothing because even if we all bought into TK's recruitment its still a disaster!

Milo

To be fair I did say repeatedly about the lack of full backs and how important that is to Jokanovic's system.

However, I thought we would hold on until January. We didn't.. we were pretty much down by then.

ScalleysDad

I have to say that as pre season passed by I spoke to a couple of old boys who thought the transfer business was unlikely to work. That made three of us and there were many similar conversations over the first couple of weeks of August. Untried, untested and no support network for the new players was only ever going to go one way so yes there is plenty of hindsight but there were also doubters back at the beginning of this journey. I have to add that I was slightly interested in the Mawson signing and I may have commented on that but that has not turned out very well either. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 09, 2019, 07:41:20 PM

[/b]

You are probably right about the lack of concern at the start of the season but the euphoria of promotion, the stress of not signing enough players soon enough and then the amazement in how much we did spend put any real evaluation on hold.

You may not agree but I believe the late rush in signings stopped any major criticism and we hoped for the best once the dust had settled.

Maybe some are using hindsight but it doesn't alter the facts and under the circumstances your comment means nothing because even if we all bought into TK's recruitment its still a disaster!

Absolutely BTA. Nobody should try and defend the indefensible, which is the incompetence of the owners son, which we have known for a very long time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Nothing to do with hindsight, it was obvious that TK was buying a pig in a poke over and over again, and sold a pup over every season. I wouldn't rely on him to feed my goldfish.
It was a terrible preseason on and off the pitch. He just tried to muddy the waters over his incompetence by throwing money line confetti at a flurry of late panic signings.
It was just a matter of time to watch the poo hit the fan.
But even I did not envisage it would be as bad as this. But then again I am not surprised.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.