watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Mitroglu

Started by bog, February 11, 2019, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

There are some very good historical accounts of the football manager series and how it lead to the advent of interactive sports data as a commercial proposition.  The roots of the game predate the Windows95 platform which was to give a powerful boost to computer speed with improved graphics.  This a link to one such example which explains, within its account, how such legends about the use of the data access may have lead to actual events where it was a feature in a real life transfer.  And don't forget this was a very long time before 'Moneyball' (2003) was even a thought in  Michael Lewis's head, perhaps.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-history-of-championship-manager-and-football-manager/

I Ronic

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2019, 10:35:23 AM
Quote from: I Ronic on February 12, 2019, 10:16:02 PM
I might be completely wrong but wasn't the rumour at the time, that Mitroglu  was recommended to SK by TK after looking at his stats on Football Manager?

I can of course don't know if this is true, but it sounds every bit a made up rumor. I cannot recall ever hearing it mentioned before. I think people are just so happy to credit everything bad to TK that they are happy to make stuff up.

It is not as Mitroglou was some completely unknown player that no-one had heard of. He was scoring lots of goals and I believe he had been rumored to bigger clubs than Fulham. The problem was primarily of course that he was not fit. A fit Mitroglou would likely have been a good acquisition at the time.

Regardless of who came up with the idea in the first place, it is extremely unlikely that it was TK that decided to go through with the transfer seeing that he held no such official position. So the blame for signing an injured player in 2014 should likely not be directed at TK.

I wasn't having a pop at TK. I thought I'd read something to that effect on here around the time we signed him. I've just done a search through old posts (Which maybe I should of done before I posted).