watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FourFourTwo article about why it hasn't worked for Fulham this season

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, February 13, 2019, 07:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

With regard to the gesture from the Club I am still waiting for my free pass after sitting through the last knockings of the Magath regime. At that time, whilst we squirmed, ran for cover or simply wept I never thought we would end up in a similar mess again and so soon.

Milo

Actually felt some of the observations were uninformed. It read to me as if it had been written by a non-Fulham fan.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Milo on February 13, 2019, 08:15:42 PM
Actually felt some of the observations were uninformed. It read to me as if it had been written by a non-Fulham fan.

Probably a non Fulham supporter and not a particularly well written and composed account either. But hey it proves that the failings are not just our little secret.

Woolly Mammoth

It's accurate and has identified the obvious, and the reasons why we are a shadow of the team were were and could have been and should have been. There is no getting away from who is responsible, so why muddy the waters.
Our problems will not cease until the wrong people have been replaced by the right people, how long that will be, your guess is as good as mine, and that is another good reason why any thoughts of staging a come  back next season is no more than wishful thinking.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Struck me as being a reasonable summary of where we are and why

YoungsBitter

Its a fair summary of where we are although he does not really come up with any theories as to why it has happened as it has. Implicitly Ranieri is to blame in terms of being an abject failure at the core task at hand, stopping us concede.
Quark, strangeness and charm

itombomb

Quote from: YoungsBitter on February 13, 2019, 11:03:50 PM
Its a fair summary of where we are although he does not really come up with any theories as to why it has happened as it has. Implicitly Ranieri is to blame in terms of being an abject failure at the core task at hand, stopping us concede.
I'm not sure anyone could have done anything with the resource available. You saw in the first few games we really played tight, with an insane amount of positional discipline, and it meant we made it harder for teams, but players would still make errors and we would concede, and the effort we were putting into our defensive shape meant we had nothing going forward.

You look at Liverpool under Klopp. 20 months ago everyone was saying he couldn't coach a team to defend, then they (massively) upgrade in a couple of positions in VVD & Alisson, a couple of young players get a bit more experience (Gomez and TAA) and they suddenly have one of the best defences in football.

alexbishop

Non-Fulham fans are allowed to write about Fulham. The writer is actually a well regarded independent  football journalist writing for BBC, Independent, Premier League and others and also appears on a popular football podcast. Four four two is also a very good football website IMO.

I think the article is a very well written, concise summary of our problems to date and where we are as a club. As mentioned above, important that the wider footballing press is picking up on our issues rather than just FFC fans. More chance of some positive changes happening if the press is all over it.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

toshes mate

Quote from: alexbishop on February 14, 2019, 12:03:42 PM
Non-Fulham fans are allowed to write about Fulham. The writer is actually a well regarded independent  football journalist writing for BBC, Independent, Premier League and others and also appears on a popular football podcast. Four four two is also a very good football website IMO.

I think the article is a very well written, concise summary of our problems to date and where we are as a club. As mentioned above, important that the wider footballing press is picking up on our issues rather than just FFC fans. More chance of some positive changes happening if the press is all over it.
Agree with your comments although the article does contain the commonplace typos/mistakes ever present in our contemporary mediocre media, and is therefore a stretch to say 'very well written' as such articles are sadly too few and far between, no matter where they appear.  I do however wholeheartedly concur with you about the need for wider coverage if only to penetrate the thick skulls that may be at the heart of our present demise.  No matter what has been tried this season to stop the rot it has failed as miserably as any attempts to do the right thing other than in two seasons of wall-to-wall Jokanovic  and a squad that believed in him and, as a consequence, in themselves too.  We may be able to get back to that if lightning ever strikes twice in the same place.   

ScalleysDad

As mentioned by Toshes Mate my point is about the style and not the content. I should have made that clearer. Any article I read these days, any piece of punditry or the threads on here are saying the same thing. It is a hopefully constructive period in our season whereby SK cannot possibly avoid the consensus that the project is a very long way off the rails

Two Ton Ted

I agree entirely, and it's eluded to the real issue, 14 new players, no obvious transfer strategy, and the inevitable result.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

alexbishop

Fair comment on style etc. Think there is huge pressure to bash out lots of content to tight deadlines and so quality of the final product in journalism isn't what it used to be.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

filham

Well nothing to quarrel with in that article, all so accurate but it makes no attempt to lay blame or to suggest solutions to our problems

Looking back it is unbelievable that  after two transfer windows and millions of pounds spent  we are playing with substandard full backs and centre backs.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: itombomb on February 14, 2019, 09:08:46 AM
I'm not sure anyone could have done anything with the resource available. You saw in the first few games we really played tight, with an insane amount of positional discipline, and it meant we made it harder for teams, but players would still make errors and we would concede, and the effort we were putting into our defensive shape meant we had nothing going forward.

You look at Liverpool under Klopp. 20 months ago everyone was saying he couldn't coach a team to defend, then they (massively) upgrade in a couple of positions in VVD & Alisson, a couple of young players get a bit more experience (Gomez and TAA) and they suddenly have one of the best defences in football.
I take your point and no-one could suggest with a straight face that Ream and Odoi is a starting premiership CB combination. My frustration has been that Ranieri's approach has been to just play more of our crappy defenders ( 4 vs 5) and not addressed the obvious issue in the midfield. The defenders are trying their best but we suffer more crosses and more balls in the box than any other team as there is no midfield screen. If I see Shurrle pointing and gesticulating at where he should be, instead of actually tracking back I will throw something at the TV. How many goals have we seen with balls whipped in from the wings about 20-25 yards out? not because they skinned our full backs and got to the line but because the fullback (and Bryan and Christie are Championship players, for sure) is facing two players, opposition winger and midfield/overlapping back on his own. How many times do we see the despairing back 5 and maybe Chambers trying to block the ball where the opposition has just passed their way through the middle of the park? Its in Midfield we are getting killed and its obvious that having only 2 in midfield does not work and has not worked. Seri is always slightly too late on the press and gets passed around and Chambers is doing his best but gets caught forward too often. Rainieri is too rigid and the opposition suss him out and our weaknesses are exposed for all to see every week. The only time we took the game to someone was 2nd half vs Brighton and for once we had enough midfield cover to not only defend but set up consistent forward movement as we had options to work the ball forward, other than kick and hope.
I know its conjecture but it seems the tactical change was made by the players not CR and he tried to prove his point by switching back to 523 again at Palace and we know how that ended.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Statto

Quote from: YoungsBitter on February 14, 2019, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: itombomb on February 14, 2019, 09:08:46 AM

I take your point and no-one could suggest with a straight face that Ream and Odoi is a starting premiership CB combination. My frustration has been that Ranieri's approach has been to just play more of our crappy defenders ( 4 vs 5) and not addressed the obvious issue in the midfield. The defenders are trying their best but we suffer more crosses and more balls in the box than any other team as there is no midfield screen. If I see Shurrle pointing and gesticulating at where he should be, instead of actually tracking back I will throw something at the TV. How many goals have we seen with balls whipped in from the wings about 20-25 yards out? not because they skinned our full backs and got to the line but because the fullback (and Bryan and Christie are Championship players, for sure) is facing two players, opposition winger and midfield/overlapping back on his own. How many times do we see the despairing back 5 and maybe Chambers trying to block the ball where the opposition has just passed their way through the middle of the park? Its in Midfield we are getting killed and its obvious that having only 2 in midfield does not work and has not worked. Seri is always slightly too late on the press and gets passed around and Chambers is doing his best but gets caught forward too often. Rainieri is too rigid and the opposition suss him out and our weaknesses are exposed for all to see every week. The only time we took the game to someone was 2nd half vs Brighton and for once we had enough midfield cover to not only defend but set up consistent forward movement as we had options to work the ball forward, other than kick and hope.
I know its conjecture but it seems the tactical change was made by the players not CR and he tried to prove his point by switching back to 523 again at Palace and we know how that ended.
great post, agree with all that

cottage expat

+1