watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will we tear up the Championship?

Started by Southcoastffc, February 13, 2019, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Two of our old boys helping Sheffield Utd to 3rd place in the championship, 2pts off the automatic places.

"Richard Stearman headed in Oliver Norwood's curling free-kick to give the Blades the lead a minute after top scorer Billy Sharp had a goal disallowed for offside."

With the talent on our books, and allowing for a number of 'high profile' departures we SHOULD/COULD storm it, but will our management team, coaching and otherwise, take it seriously enough?  Whatever happens, the Championship is a far more entertaining, anyone can beat anyone, league.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

I very much doubt it, while this club is run the way it is, if we are going to rely on the judgement of naive unqualified amateurs unable to learn from their past mistakes. We will have very little chance of a quick return, unless the situation changes rapidly.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 13, 2019, 10:25:02 PM
Two of our old boys helping Sheffield Utd to 3rd place in the championship, 2pts off the automatic places.

"Richard Stearman headed in Oliver Norwood's curling free-kick to give the Blades the lead a minute after top scorer Billy Sharp had a goal disallowed for offside."

With the talent on our books, and allowing for a number of 'high profile' departures we SHOULD/COULD storm it, but will our management team, coaching and otherwise, take it seriously enough?  Whatever happens, the Championship is a far more entertaining, anyone can beat anyone, league.

Lots of clubs who have gone down in recent years thought they'd storm back up,too many of them to mention... Hard old league with unpredictable results.
Sat Birmingham went to QPR and hit 4,then on Tuesday they lose at home to bottom side Bolton.

MrFFC

No it's a very tough league & we won't be as good as we were last season. Wasted opportunity from the club this summer as we came up in style. I'm not usually negative but could be a long time before we get ourselves back in the Premier League it's such a tough league the Championship.
Come on you Whites!! :)

SuffolkWhite

Storm it no, but there is no telling what will happen good or bad as the squad personnel will change.

If the squad does not change then some payers will struggle in the Champ as they will be rushed when on the ball and will not be able to take their time on the ball, the league is more robust.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Facts Not Fiction

We went for absolute diatribe to play off contenders in the space of 1 year.

The Championship may be competitive, but the quality can be shocking. Get a decent manager in, and you'll go up.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 14, 2019, 08:10:19 AM

The Championship may be competitive, but the quality can be shocking. Get a decent manager in, and you'll go up.
[/quote

Quality shocking?
Any of the top 6 at the moment would stuff us.

Sting of the North

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on February 14, 2019, 08:08:56 AM
Storm it no, but there is no telling what will happen good or bad as the squad personnel will change.

If the squad does not change then some payers will struggle in the Champ as they will be rushed when on the ball and will not be able to take their time on the ball, the league is more robust.

I don't think you will have less time on the ball in the championship, I believe that is just a myth. It might look like it because the general player is less talented, but if you can handle the pace of the PL then you'll handle the pace of the championship. My worry would be more on the mental side. Would the players be up for a season of non top flight football?

itombomb

The problem is that our squad will be decimated.

We're not 'too good to go down', mainly because of how horrendous our defence is, but compared to most teams that have gone down over the last few years we have quite a lot of player assets. Similarly all the loans will go.

I don't expect any of Mitrovic, Sessegnon, Cairney, Seri, Schurlle*, Vietto, Babel, Rico and Chambers to be around.

On one hand, we should have quite a warchest from sales and parachute payments, and most of the high earners will be off the books, so that gives us a chance to rebuild sensibly. But there is also the risk that we don't reinvest or it all goes badly again.

itombomb

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 14, 2019, 09:00:44 AM
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on February 14, 2019, 08:08:56 AM

I don't think you will have less time on the ball in the championship, I believe that is just a myth. It might look like it because the general player is less talented, but if you can handle the pace of the PL then you'll handle the pace of the championship. My worry would be more on the mental side. Would the players be up for a season of non top flight football?
Yeah, you're more likely to be kicked in the Championship because the refs are so bad, but the speed of the PL is next level. Players are almost all athletically better as well as technically better.

MJG

Don't think anyone really storms the championship that often. Top team usually gets 90 plus and getting sixth is getting progressively harder by a point or two over last half dozen years.

We will have a very decent championship defence but beyond that is where the questions get asked. Personally would look at a full two year rebuild and sell at least three of the main assets this summer.
Just the views of a long term fan

Fernhurst

The thought of losing Sess makes me feel queasy, but lose him we will.

We will be stuck with our unflinching support for our team and some good luck and steady steering will be required to prevent us falling straight through.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 14, 2019, 08:29:28 AM

Quality shocking?

Have you seen the level of defending in that league?

Mitrovic, Babel and Sessegnon would rip them apart.

Fulham76

We'll barely have a squad to put out by the time the likes of Sess, Mitrovic, Cairney, Seri etc.. have been snapped up. Schurlle & Rico will be gone as well. Yet another big rebuild will be required in the summer unfortunately.

Add to that our new manager will need to find his feet, as I don't imagine Ranieri will still be here.

I actaully see us being in big trouble again next season & if I could take mid-table safety now, I would.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 14, 2019, 10:47:13 AM

Quality shocking?

With our squad as it is we would win the championship no doubt. Mitro, Sess, TC all done it once and the new players would be insane in the Championship. However, realistically we are going to lose all 3 mentioned and a lot of the good new players. TK is going to have to get a hole in one if we want to get promoted in a season, and I fear that won't happen. What I'm most worried about is who our manager is going to be.

ScalleysDad

I would hope somebody is going to lock TK into a room and forcibly tell him how the next three to four years is going to have to go. Deep foundations will be required so a Norwich/WBA style, (steady as she goes),would be infinitely better than the Villa one where tons of money thrown at it clearly is'nt working. The Bristol City model is also quite good. Play good football, be as one with the fan base and put faith in youth across the whole set up. Leeds need to go up but an implosion is always likely and they must be on an average of a manager a season. Another model to avoid.
If we look at who we came up with the success at Wolves is down to some savvy recruitment but also the players buying into the project and respecting the coach. That would be a nice change. Some knock Cardiff but if their squad and ours were competing in one of those corporate team building exercises I know which team would storm it.
Examples of good governance are all around us so I hope the Board members man up or SK is that somebody in the locked room. To avoid the current debacle repeating itself for a third time, lest we forget Magath, I would settle into a four year rebuild and take the Championship by the goolies with a defence, a midfield and a strike force worthy of the name................. and the badge.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on February 14, 2019, 10:47:13 AM

Quality shocking?

But the question is, will Mitro Sess and Babel still be registered Fulham players. Plus have you seen the level of defending at Fulham recently.
Lots of hard work to be done to repair the damage inflicted and self inflicted on our team and club, and of course a lot will depend on who is the Manager.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Horsfield_No9

My concern will be not getting dragged in to a relegation battle. It seems clubs coming down from the Prem are more likely to get relegated again than trouble to top of the league. Consolidation I think is a reasonable ask, we need a 2-3 year plan to get back. Would never put money on us going straight back up.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Twig

We won't have half our current talent on the books. Who knows what we will tear up!

Milo

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 14, 2019, 11:27:16 AM
I would hope somebody is going to lock TK into a room and forcibly tell him how the next three to four years is going to have to go. Deep foundations will be required so a Norwich/WBA style, (steady as she goes),would be infinitely better than the Villa one where tons of money thrown at it clearly is'nt working. The Bristol City model is also quite good. Play good football, be as one with the fan base and put faith in youth across the whole set up. Leeds need to go up but an implosion is always likely and they must be on an average of a manager a season. Another model to avoid.
If we look at who we came up with the success at Wolves is down to some savvy recruitment but also the players buying into the project and respecting the coach. That would be a nice change. Some knock Cardiff but if their squad and ours were competing in one of those corporate team building exercises I know which team would storm it.
Examples of good governance are all around us so I hope the Board members man up or SK is that somebody in the locked room. To avoid the current debacle repeating itself for a third time, lest we forget Magath, I would settle into a four year rebuild and take the Championship by the goolies with a defence, a midfield and a strike force worthy of the name................. and the badge.

Good post!