watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Possibly controversial

Started by H4usuallysitting, February 24, 2019, 12:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

And isn't hindsight a wonderful thing - but do you think the club made a mistake in keeping Joka as manager......

He obviously didn't like the transfer regime - along with a lot of new signings, we also changed the first team coach.....

Obviously to many changes (and not the correct changes) - maybe just maybe a new manager at the start of the season would/could of changed our transfer thinking and highlighted our unbalanced first team....it appears money wasn't an issue - so, a more experienced premiership manager possibly could of identified our weaknesses.....either way Mr Khan junior appears on paper to be naive

filham

After that brilliant second half of last season, and the great climax at Wembley , there was no way we could change our head coach, young Khan would have been crucified.

Just possible though that he could now bring him back, I think that may go down well.

Bohemian White

I think the mistake was not strengthening the full back positions. Joka's system puts massive demands on the full backs and it was strange to me, even at the time, that we didn't recruit in these areas. I think I heard on NBC a comment that Watford felt Joka couldn't organise a defence for the premier league and so they didn't renew him. Sounds a bit 20/20 hindsight to me. But no, the mistake wasn't in keeping Joka, it was a recruitment process that didn't understand the system he plays and didn't reinforce appropriately.

Statto

"Possibly controversial"... certainly ridiculous! (IMHO)

Transitioning to a new manager and style would have meant moving on not only the poor players but also those of the decent ones who'd only flourished under Jokanovic (eg Cairney, Mitrovic) so bringing in 20 new players instead of 12. If the bulk of them had still not been signed until August, the new manager would still have struggled just as much as Jokanovic did.

All that for a new style that might have served us better over the next season or two against the big teams (although we'd still have lost the majority of those games anyway) but (A) wouldn't have made any difference in the 6-pointers against Huddersfield, Cardiff, Burnley, Southampton and Brighton, nor (B) would it have been any use over the longer term if our aspiration is to become a decent top 12 side.