more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (01/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 01, 2019, 07:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Billy's Book Club

Fulham Football Club Foundation, in partnership with the Premier League Charitable Fund, National Literacy Trust, and WH Smith, are gifting books to young Fulham supporters. With a wide variety of stories, and more than 300 books on offer, there's something for everyone.

It takes place on Sunday 3rd March - ahead of our meeting with Chelsea - midway along the Johnny Haynes Stand in the former press lounge, and can be accessed via Stevenage Road from 12.30pm - 2pm, prior to entering via turnstiles for kick-off.

This initiative is an extension of the Foundation's Premier League Primary Stars programme, delivered in more than 45 partner schools across South and South West London, with provision ranging from P.E. to PSHE, Numeracy, Literacy, and School Sport.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/28/billys-book-club

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi pleads with Fulham fans: Don't just blame Claudio Ranieri, players are guilty too!

Battle: Fulham's chances of Premier League survival look bleak   AFP/Getty Images

Denis Odoi has urged Fulham fans to voice their frustrations at the players and not just under-fire manager Claudio Ranieri — with the Italian's job hanging by a thread.

Ranieri came in for abuse from supporters at St Mary's last night as his side were comprehensively beaten again.

The defeat was the eighth in the team's last nine matches in all competitions and Fulham are now 10 points from Premier League safety with 10 games to play.

Ranieri was subjected to chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' from traveling fans, while banners in support of his predecessor, Slavisa Jokanovic, and attacking vice-chairman Tony Khan were unveiled in the second half.

The 67-year-old has won just three of his 17 games in charge, but defender Odoi pleaded with fans to not just vent their anger at the former Chelsea and Leicester boss.

"I know there was a banner but I didn't read it," Odoi told Standard Sport.

"I can understand the fans' frustration, but the frustration shouldn't only be with the coach but with the whole team. We are the ones on the pitch and we haven't done enough. We are [in the relegation places] for a reason, because of what we have done, which isn't enough.

"I think the fans have been supportive of us and we can't expect them to be happy all the time if we keep on losing games. That is just the way it is.

"The coach can say whatever but it is up to the players. It's like I said: it is everybody's fault, the players as well.

"We need to get on that pitch and try to give our best, to grind out results. We start on Sunday against Chelsea and then we will see."

Last night's match was crucial to Fulham's hopes of survival as they took on fellow strugglers Southampton. Victory for Saints lifted them out of the relegation places, while Fulham remain 19th, with the gap to safety looking insurmountable.

"Everybody knew how important this game was," Odoi added. "It was a chance to put ourselves back in there and now we are 10 points away. It is going to make it really hard.

"There is no other option than to just keep pushing on. What else is there to say? We need to look at ourselves, things we have done wrong, things we might have done right and just move on to the next game. There is nothing else we can do."

The worry for Fulham is that their next game is at home to west London rivals Chelsea, while after that they face a trip to Leicester before welcoming League leaders Liverpool and second-placed Manchester City to Craven Cottage.

Asked about his position last night, Ranieri admitted: "My job? I don't know, ask the owner.

"Always in my career I am used to working hard. I know it's very difficult but until it's mathematically impossible we continue to fight, and also after.

"We have to go out on the pitch with our head high. I am used to believing. Something could happen, but if you don't believe it's done, if you don't fight you've already lost."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/denis-odoi-pleads-with-fulham-fans-don-t-just-blame-claudio-ranieri-players-are-guilty-too-a4078941.html

WhiteJC

In-Focus: Newcastle U23s

Fulham Under-23s turn their attention back to PL2 duty against Newcastle after qualifying for the round of 16 in the PL Cup last week. A stream of the game can be found on fulhamfctv from 6:45PM tomorrow evening.

Mark Pembridge's side overcame Reading Under-23s in their final PL Cup game to advance in the competition. The Young Whites go into this game on the back of three league defeats in a row, all by the solitary goal margin.

Newcastle are the visitors on Friday night at Motspur Park who have been a much-improved side since the start of the season under Ben Dawson. The Magpies have won three games on the spin and have been labelled as the most exciting team in the league having scored 39 goals and conceded 27. They currently sit fourth.

Last Time Out:

Newcastle ran out convincing 5-2 winners at the Northumberland FA Ground in October. The hosts strolled to a three-goal lead but Jayden Harris' doubled hauled Fulham back into contention.

Two further goals from The Magpies killed the game off in a tricky evening that Mark Pembridge described as one of the only teams his side have been 'well beaten' by this season.

View From The Gaffer:

Mark Pembridge wants to use the PL Cup qualification as a springboard for an upturn in performances and fortune in the league.

"We were very good against Reading." He told fulhamfc.com. "The game plan we had in place worked very well and it stopped them from playing out. Having said that we could have been a few goals up by half time. However, we did start to chase the game a little bit unnecessarily. We got a goal to kill the game and it was capped off with a clean sheet.

"I think we will take every game as it goes. These boys need to progress and they are learning with every game that goes by."

Having learned from their mistakes last time out in the North East, the Young Whites will approach this one in a fresh frame of mind, according to the boss.

"We've had a look at Newcastle this time around and we've pinpointed where we might be able to exploit that. Hopefully we can work on that and be patient with our build-up play against them.

"We aren't concerned by how they play, we want to concentrate on our game regardless if they are missing their main goal threat. The lads are fully fit and raring to go."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/28/u23s-preview-newcastle

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri sacked as Fulham manager after 16 Premier League games
• Italian departs after three and a half months in the job
• Scott Parker takes charge on caretaker basis

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Fulham after the club's directors and supporters lost confidence in him. The final straw for the manager came in the relegation battle at Southampton on Wednesday, when the team lost 2-0 and the travelling fans chanted "you don't know what you're doing" at him. It was a seventh defeat in eight Premier League games. Scott Parker, the first-team coach, has been placed in caretaker charge.

The vice-chairman, Tony Khan, was at St Mary's for a result that took Ranieri's league record with the club to P16 W3 D3 L10 since he replaced Slavisa Jokanovic in mid-November. Fulham are 10 points off safety with 10 matches to play.

Shahid Khan, the club's chairman and Tony's father, is in the US but he took the lead in the discussions over Ranieri's future on Thursday, which also involved the chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh, and the non-executive director Mark Lamping.

The key decision-makers concluded that Ranieri had been damned by the evidence on the pitch and in the stands, and Shahid Khan released a statement shortly before 5pm to confirm the Italian's departure, along with the temporary appointment of Parker.

"Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone," he said. "No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always. Be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today.

"Claudio walked into a difficult situation, inheriting a side that gained only one point in its prior eight matches, and he provided an immediate boost by leading our club to nine points in his first eight matches. Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort."

Ranieri said: "I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment. I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me."

Shahid Khan sounded resigned to an immediate return to the Championship – Fulham were promoted via the play-offs – and it has certainly been a disastrous season on many levels.

The club spent £110.5m last summer on signings needed to bolster a squad who had been depleted by the loss of many loanees. The conditions were difficult because of the late finish to last season owing to the play-off final and the earlier-than-usual closure of the window on 9 August, plus the fact the World Cup took place.

That said, the majority of the new players have struggled, some because of injury, such as Alfie Mawson, and others because they have failed to find their feet. The most glaring example of that has been André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, who joined for £30m from Marseille. Only Aleksandar Mitrovic, Jean Michaël Seri and possibly Calum Chambers, who is on loan from Arsenal, have shown anything like the required levels.

Ranieri saw his team exit the FA Cup at home to League Two Oldham and his reluctance to trust the 18-year-old wide player Ryan Sessegnon was deeply unpopular with supporters.

There was also the damaging Aboubakar Kamara saga, which came in three parts. First, the striker grabbed a penalty from Mitrovic against Huddersfield, which he missed; second, he fought with him during a squad yoga session; and then, having been banished to train with the under-23s, he was arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm when he visited the training ground seeking to discuss his future with Mackintosh.

What has most upset Fulham fans this season has been the loss of their reputation for entertaining football, which they earned last season. They have routinely been awful to watch.

Shahid Khan said: "Scott Parker's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilise, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club. If Scott can answer that challenge and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead.

"What's most important, however, is to regroup in a smart and deliberate manner that will serve our long-term vision for sustainable success. If we're able to do that and win some matches to make a stand late in the season, all the better."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/28/claudio-ranieri-sack-fulham-premier-league-scott-parker

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri Sacked by Fulham as Abysmal Form Worsens

After another devastating defeat away to Southampton, Fulham have parted company with Claudio Ranieri. The self-styled 'Tinkerman' was appointed on November 14th following the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic.

Claudio Ranieri Sacked
Expensive Mistake

Fulham owner Tony Khan was not at the match against the Saints, but it was a defeat too far as Fulham slipped ten points from safety with ten games of the season remaining. When Ranieri took over, the Cottagers had already shipped 31 goals. They have now shipped a further 33. Ranieri had said he would shore up the leaky defence but he only made things worse with constant team changes, and his 'tinkerman' tag now looks like a curse rather than a compliment.

Fulham handed the Premier League-winning manager a contract until 2021 and sacking him after just over three months in charge could consequently be an expensive mistake. The Italian will forever be remembered for his astonishing success at Leicester City, but the following season he was sacked and, as likeable a man as he is, his tactics leave much to be desired.

At St Mary's, he was subjected to chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' and cries for the return of former boss Jokanovic, the man who led Fulham back to the promised land of the Premier League and was a fan favourite. The Fulham fans also vented at owner Khan, who sanctioned a summer spend of around £100 million. Along with compensation to two managers in one season, running a club this way can lead to financial despair and relegations. Relegation now looks to be a certainty with the likes of Ryan Sessegnon certain to depart in the summer.

Who Will Become Fulham's Third Manager This Season?
The usual suspects are already being touted for the job. Sam Allardyce is an early favourite for the post until the end of the season. His miracle working hands are surely not enough to save Fulham now. Harry Redknapp is looking for a return but whether he would want to drop to the Championship is questionable. Jose Mourinho would be an astonishing appointment but it's fair to say that it won't be him.

Gary Rowett is a young manager out of work; maybe even former boss Jokanovic could return to the club where many feel he has unfinished business.

As for Ranieri,  maybe it is time he walked away before he is remembered as a one-season-wonder. One who 'tinkered' just once too often.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019/02/28/claudio-ranieri-sacked-by-fulham-as-abysmal-form-worsens/

WhiteJC

Parker Appointed Caretaker Manager

Fulham Football Club Chairman Shahid Khan today named Scott Parker as Caretaker Manager, replacing Claudio Ranieri.

Khan released this statement following his conversation with Ranieri:

"Following our discussion this afternoon, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone. No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always. Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as Manager in November, but be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today.

"Claudio walked into a difficult situation, inheriting a side that gained only one point in its prior eight matches, and he provided an immediate boost by leading our Club to nine points in his first eight matches as Manager. Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort. Claudio leaves Fulham as our friend and he will undoubtedly experience success again soon.

"I am asking Scott Parker to serve as our Caretaker Manager. Scott's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilize, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club. If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead.

"What's most important at this moment, however, is to regroup in a smart and deliberate manner that will serve our long-term vision for sustainable success. If we're able to do that and win some matches to make a stand late in the season, all the better."

Claudio Ranieri added: "I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment. Finally, I would like to thank the Club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the Club."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/28/scott-parker-appointed-caretaker-manager

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri SACKED as Fulham boss after the club's concerns over his outdated coaching methods... with Scott Parker made caretaker manager

Fulham sacked manager Claudio Ranieri after internal talks on Thursday
    Ranieri was pushed closer to the exit door following defeat by Southampton
    Assistant Scott Parker will now take over from Ranieri on an interim basis

Fulham have sacked Claudio Ranieri amid a backdrop of concerns over his 'outdated' coaching methods.

The Italian was hauled into a meeting with sporting director Tony Khan on Thursday morning where he was informed of the decision.

Scott Parker, who was part of Ranieri's backroom team, will take charge on a caretaker basis.

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Fulham after a poor spell in charge at Craven Cottage

Fulham are 10 points off safety after a run of seven defeats in their last eight league games

The Italian was only appointed as boss of the Premier League strugglers back in November

Sportsmail understands club chiefs discussed sacking Ranieri ahead of the clash against West Ham on February 22, but a decision was made to give 67-year-old games against the Hammers - which they lost - and Wednesday's loss at Southampton to turn the club's fortunes around.

It was decided after the defeat at St Mary's that Ranieri would be sacked, his departure confirmed on Thursday afternoon.

Ranieri arrived at the club's Motspur Park training centre on Thursday to take a recovery session, but following a meeting of the board at the club's Surrey HQ, the veteran boss was informed of the club's decision.

Further meetings then took place with Parker, who was formally offered the role on an interim basis.

Ranieri's dismissal comes amid uncertainty regarding his methods from members of the playing squad.

Sources claim players feel Ranieri's approach is archaic and that there was no clear philosophy from the manager.

They also believe his tactics were too pragmatic, particularly given the club are in such deep relegation danger.

That is not to say they dislike Ranieri. The players warmed to the Italian during his short three month spell in charge.

The squad were particularly impressed with how the former Leicester manager dealt with the disruptive influence of Aboubakar Kamara, who was arrested at the club's training ground after trying to confront chief executive Alistair Mackintosh - a story exclusively revealed by Sportsmail.

Ranieri made clear in no uncertain terms that the striker, who had upset numerous players including Aleksandar Mitrovic, Andre Schurrle and Joe Bryan, had no future at Fulham during a fiery squad meeting.

Ranieri, in front of the rest of the squad, told Kamara he was no longer part of the first-team group - banishing him to the Under 23s - and to inform his advisors to find him a new club as soon as possible. Kamara has since joined Yeni Malatyaspor.

The Italian was well respected by his players and staff, but there was grave concerns his approach hindered the club's attempts to avoid relegation.

Parker accepted the opportunity to replace Ranieri on a caretaker basis, and will face the media for the first time on Friday ahead of Sunday's west London derby against Chelsea.

The former England international could put himself in the running to take the job on a full time basis if he can rally the squad between now and the end of the season.

Nevertheless, Fulham will now start identifying candidates for the role of Ranieri's long-term replacement. Steve Clarke, currently manager at Kilmarnock, is understood to be an early contender.

Whoever gets the job on a full-time basis will likely have to contend with a summer player exodus. Midfielder Jean Seri is ready to consider his future if Fulham are relegated, while Ryan Sessegnon will interest a number of the Premier League's top clubs ahead of next season.

Fulham have inserted relegation pay cuts in players contracts to protect themselves financially if they fail to beat the drop.

In a statement Khan, virtually conceded Fulham will be playing Championship football next season - by indicating Parker's immediate job is to 'stabilise, grow and rediscover' the club - with no mention at all of staying in the division.

'Following our discussion, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone. No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always.

'I am asking Scott Parker to serve as our Caretaker Manager. Scott's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilise, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club. If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead.

'What's most important at this moment, however, is to regroup in a smart and deliberate manner that will serve our long-term vision for sustainable success. If we're able to do that and win some matches to make a stand late in the season, all the better.'

On his dismissal, he Ranieri added: 'I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment.'

Chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' greeted Ranieri's second-half substitutions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6756085/Claudio-Ranieri-SACKED-Fulham-boss-talks-Fulham-chiefs.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri: Fulham sack manager with club 19th in Premier League

Fulham have sacked manager Claudio Ranieri after just 106 days in charge, with first-team coach Scott Parker taking temporary charge.

The Italian's last game was Wednesday's 2-0 defeat by Southampton, which left the Cottagers 19th in the Premier League, 10 points from safety with 10 games left.

Ranieri took over in November after the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 67-year-old won only three of his 17 games as manager.

It included a 3-2 victory over Southampton in his first game, but 11 defeats have followed including an FA Cup third-round exit at home to League Two side Oldham.

Chairman Shahid Khan said in a statement: "Claudio walked into a difficult situation, inheriting a side that gained only one point in its prior eight matches, and he provided an immediate boost by leading our club to nine points in his first eight matches as manager.

"Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort. Claudio leaves Fulham as our friend and he will undoubtedly experience success again soon.

"Scott's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilise, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club.

"If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead."

Ranieri led Leicester City to a miraculous Premier League title triumph in 2016, but was sacked just nine months later and then had a season in charge at French Ligue 1 side Nantes.

He took over on a "multi-year" contract at Fulham when they were bottom of the table with five points from their opening 12 matches, but failed to oversee an upturn in fortunes.

Ranieri added: "I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment. Finally, I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the club."

Scott Parker is a former Fulham captain

Former midfielder Parker will become Fulham's sixth manager in 56 Premier League games after Martin Jol, Rene Meulensteen, Felix Magath, Jokanovic and Ranieri.

The 38-year-old, capped 18 times by England, has no previous managerial experience but played nearly 600 professional games, mainly in the Premier League for Charlton, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham and Tottenham, before ending his career at Fulham in June 2017.

A year later he returned to the club as first-team coach, having been in charge of Tottenham's Under-18 side.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47401305

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri sacked: Fulham dismiss manager after less than four months in charge

The Italian has paid the price for a dismal run of results that leaves the Cottagers 10 points adrift of safety

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Fulham less than four months after being appointed, with Scott Parker placed in caretaker charge of the struggling London club.

The 19th-placed Cottagers look doomed to be playing Championship football next season with the damaging 2-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Southampton on Wednesday evening seeing them fall 10 points from safety in the Premier League.

That setback on the south coast was a seventh loss from eight top-flight games for Ranieri's side and was greeted with anger and protests from travelling supporters.

Chairman Shad Khan said in a statement: "Following our discussion this afternoon, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone.

"Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as manager in November but, be assured, he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today."

Ranieri won just three games after being appointed to replace Slavisa Jokanovic in November.

"I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment," Ranieri said in a short statement.

"Finally, I would like to thank the Club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the Club."

Parker's first game in charge will be against his former club, Chelsea, on Sunday 3 March at Craven Cottage.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/claudio-ranieri-sacked-next-fulham-fc-manager-fixtures-southampton-result-a8801241.html

WhiteJC

Next Fulham manager odds: The favourites to succeed Claudio Ranieri

Fulham are in the market for their third permanent manager of a wretched 2018-19 season after parting company with Claudio Ranieri.

The Italian departed Craven Cottage following Wednesday night's 2-0 defeat to relegation rivals Southampton, a fourth consecutive loss that left last year's Championship play-off winners 19th in the Premier League and 10 points adrift of safety with only 10 matches left to play this term.

Ranieri won only three and lost 11 of his 17 games at the helm after being named as the successor to Slavisa Jokanovic in mid-November.

With relegation and an instant return to the second tier looking almost certain, Fulham - now under the caretaker guidance of first-team coach Scott Parker - will presumably look to appoint a manager capable of leading them back to the top-flight at the first attempt.

The current bookmakers' favourite is David Moyes, who has been out of work since leaving West Ham last May at the end of his short-term contract.

The former Everton, Manchester United, Real Sociedad and Sunderland manager has not managed in the Championship since leaving Preston for Goodison Park in 2002.

Other prominent contenders according to the odds include David Wagner, who left relegation rivals Huddersfield in January, and Claude Puel, whose 16-month reign at Leicester was brought to an unhappy conclusion last weekend.

Sam Allardyce is a seemingly permanent fixture in these sorts of early lists, while it remains to be seen if Michael O'Neill can be lured away from his role with Northern Ireland.

There was visible support for Jokanovic in the away end at St Mary's and he also features in the betting, but surely a return to west London for the Serbian would be deemed hugely unlikely.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/next-fulham-manager-odds-the-favourites-to-succeed-claudio-ranieri-a4079146.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri leaves Fulham after Southampton defeat
Scott Parker appointed caretaker manager, Stuart Gray assistant

Claudio Ranieri has parted ways with Fulham after less than four months in charge.

Scott Parker has been placed in charge as caretaker manager until the end of the season, with former first-team coach Stuart Gray joining as his assistant.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said in a statement: "Following our discussion (on Thursday afternoon), Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interests of everyone.

"No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always.

"Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as manager in November, but be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today."

The Italian replaced Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage in November but has managed just three wins in 17 matches since taking over.

Following his departure, Ranieri told Fulham's official website: "I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment.

"Finally, I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the club."

Wednesday's 2-0 defeat to Southampton left the club 10 points from safety in the Premier League, with 10 matches to play.

Chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' greeted Ranieri's second-half substitutions at St Mary's, while a banner containing the words 'Risk free? Are you watching Tony Khan?' was unfurled in reference to comments made by the club's vice-chairman following Ranieri's appointment.

Parker's first game in charge will be against his former club Chelsea on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, before fixtures against Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11650659/claudio-ranieri-sacked-by-fulham-after-southampton-defeat

WhiteJC

Fulham sack Claudio Ranieri and name Scott Parker as caretaker manager

Shahid Khan made the decision after the side's 2-0 loss to Southampton on Wednesday night

Fulham have sacked Claudio Ranieri as manager and have replaced him with Scott Parker who has been named as caretaker boss.

The club announced the sacking after the side's 2-0 defeat to Southampton in the Premier League that saw them fall ten points adrift of safety with relegation now looking a certainty.

This is the third managerial change for the side this season who sacked Slavisa Jokanovic in November, replacing him with the Italian who only managed to win three games during his short tenure at the club.

Parker was appointed as first team coach at the start of the season having been the U18 manager at Tottenham Hotspur last season and was heavily relied upon by Ranieri since arriving at Fulham.

In a statement, Shahid Khan said: "I am asking Scott Parker to serve as our Caretaker Manager.

"Scott's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilize, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club. If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead."

Parker's first game in charge will be against his former club Chelsea in a west London derby on Sunday at Craven Cottage, with his first three home games all coming against the top six with Liverpool and Manchester City to come.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-sack-claudio-ranieri-name-15903225

WhiteJC

Fulham sack Claudio Ranieri after 16 games in charge

Fulham have announced the departure of first team coach Claudio Ranieri after just 17 games in charge at the club.

Ranieri leaves Craven Cottage with Fulham 19th in the table and seemingly heading back down into the Championship after one season in the top flight.

Fulham were beaten 2-0 by fellow relegation battlers Southampton on Wednesday and are ten points from safety with ten games remaining.

'I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment,' Ranieri said in a statement.

'Finally, I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the club.'

Ranieri, 67, was brought into replace the axed Slavisa Jokanovic in November, but has only won three league games in his time at Fulham.

Fulham confirmed Scott Parker would take temporary charge for the rest of the season, with a home tie against Chelsea on Sunday next on the agenda for the London side.

A statement from club chairman Shahid Khan read: 'Following our discussion this afternoon, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone. 'No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always.

'Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as Manager in November, but be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/28/fulham-sack-claudio-ranieri-16-games-charge-8785693/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri SACKED by Fulham: Scott Parker steps in for Premier League survival fight

The Londoners are 10 points off safety with just 10 games left to play in the top flight this season

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Fulham with the Cottagers staring down the barrel of relegation from the Premier League.

Wednesday's defeat at Southampton left the Londoners 10 points off safety and almost certain of an immediate return to the Championship.

Since the turn of the year, Ranieri has overseen eight defeats in nine matches in all competitions and has now been relieved of his duties.

As reported by Mirror Football earlier on Thursday, first-team coach Scott Parker will take caretaker charge.

Fulham chairman Shahid Khan said: "Following our discussion this afternoon, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone.

"No surprise to me, Claudio was a perfect gentleman, as always. Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as Manager in November, but be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today.

"Claudio walked into a difficult situation, inheriting a side that gained only one point in its prior eight matches, and he provided an immediate boost by leading our club to nine points in his first eight matches as Manager.

"Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort. Claudio leaves Fulham as our friend and he will undoubtedly experience success again soon.

"I am asking Scott Parker to serve as caretaker manager. Scott's immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilize, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club.

"If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead.

"What's most important at this moment, however, is to regroup in a smart and deliberate manner that will serve our long-term vision for sustainable success. If we're able to do that and win some matches to make a stand late in the season, all the better." 

Bristol City's Lee Johnson and Steve Clarke of Scottish top flight side Kilmarnock will be contenders for the permanent job in the summer.

Ranieri said: "I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment.

"Finally, I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the Club."

Fulham's fight for survival

Mar 3: Chelsea (H)
    Mar 9: Leicester (A)
    Mar 17: Liverpool (H)
    Mar 30: Manchester City (H)
    Apr 6: Watford (A)
    Apr 13: Everton (H)
    Apr 20: Bournemouth (A)
    Apr 27: Cardiff (H)
    May 4: Wolves (A)
    May 12: Newcastle (H)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-claudio-ranieri-sacked-fulham-14069061

WhiteJC

Scott Parker faces baptism of fire in charge of floundering Fulham as new boss takes on giants Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool in his first four games

Scott Parker was named Fulham caretaker after the sacking of Claudio Ranieri
    He faces London rivals Chelsea in his first game in charge on Sunday afternoon
    Struggling Cottagers then take on Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City
    Fulham are 19th in the table and 10 points from safety with just 10 games left

Scott Parker is facing up to a nightmare start as Fulham's caretaker manager after taking over from Claudio Ranieri.

The former Tottenham midfielder has been asked to stabilise the club by owner Shahid Khan after Ranieri was sacked following a run of four straight defeats.

But that may be easier said than done, with Parker now preparing for arguably the Cottagers' toughest run of Premier League fixtures all season. 

Scott Parker faces a tough start as Fulham caretaker with games against Chelsea and Liverpool

The Cottagers are 19th in the Premier League after Wednesday's 2-0 defeat at Southampton

The 38-year-old's first game in charge will be against west London rivals Chelsea, who beat Tottenham on Wednesday night, at Craven Cottage this weekend.

Things don't get much easier on March 9 when Fulham travel to Leicester for Brendan Rodgers' first home game as Foxes manager.

On March 17, Parker and his under-performing players face the daunting prospect of a home game against title-chasing Liverpool.

And 13 days later Manchester City, who are attempting to chase down Jurgen Klopp's league leaders, visit the Cottage.

Fulham took just one point in the corresponding fixtures this season and will be big underdogs again as they desperately try to avoid relegation.

Wednesday night's 2-0 defeat at Southampton left the London club 19th in the table and 10 points from safety with just 10 games left to play.

It proved to be the final straw for Ranieri, who was sacked by Khan on Thursday just three months after replacing Slavisa Jokanovic in the hotseat.

The move up to caretaker will be Parker's first senior role in management, although it is not yet known how long he will remain in the job.

The former England midfielder began his coaching career with Tottenham's Under 18s in 2017 before joining Fulham as part of Jokanovic's staff last summer.

Parker stayed on after Ranieri arrived in November and now steps up to take full control as Khan weighs up his next move.

Sergio Aguero and Manchester City make the trip to London at the end of this month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6757271/Fulham-caretaker-Scott-Parker-faces-tough-start-upcoming-fixtures.html

WhiteJC

Parker takes over at Fulham after Ranieri shown the door

LONDON (Reuters) - Relegation-threatened Fulham sacked Claudio Ranieri as manager on Thursday and appointed Scott Parker as his caretaker replacement.

Ranieri, who guided Leicester City to an extraordinary 2016 Premier League title, was appointed in November after the dismissal of Slavisa Jokanovic but failed to work another miracle and lasted only 16 league games, winning three.

"I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment," said the 67-year-old.

"I would like to thank the Club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the Club."

The Italian's departure came as no surprise, with Fulham 19th in the table and 10 points adrift of 17th placed Southampton in the final safety spot with only 10 games remaining.

Ranieri had recognised his future at the West London side was uncertain after Wednesday's stinging 2-0 defeat at Southampton.

"Following our discussion this afternoon, Claudio Ranieri agreed to my decision that a change was in the best interest of everyone," chairman Shahid Khan said in a statement on the Fulham website.

Khan said the Italian had been "a perfect gentleman, as always," but it had not worked out and he left Craven Cottage as a friend.

"Claudio's tenure at Fulham didn't produce the outcome we anticipated and needed when I appointed him as manager in November, but be assured he is not solely to blame for the position we are in today," added the chairman.

Khan acknowledged Ranieri had inherited a difficult situation, taking over with Fulham bottom of the league after just one win.

"He provided an immediate boost by leading our club to nine points in his first eight matches as manager. Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort."

Parker's brief was to "stabilise, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club," said Khan.

"If Scott can answer that challenge, and our players respond to the opportunity, perhaps victories will follow in the months ahead.

"What's most important at this moment, however, is to regroup in a smart and deliberate manner that will serve our long-term vision for sustainable success."

Former England midfielder Parker's first game in charge will be against local rivals Chelsea, another of his and Ranieri's former clubs, on Sunday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-ful/parker-takes-over-at-fulham-after-ranieri-shown-the-door-idUKKCN1QH2AE?rpc=401&;

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri's Fulham were a mix of the disinterested & discarded, true victims of the Premier League

Fulham best embody the seductive and poisonous allure of the Premier League, having spent lavishly without any of the stability or the structures one would associate with a semi-functional club

There was a moment early in the second half of Fulham's game at Southampton on Wednesday night that seemed to encapsulate the futility, the fury and the self-defeating ineptitude that together are about to condemn them to another indefinite stay in the Championship.

Tom Cairney scrapped to win a corner on the left wing, and a little swell of noise began to build among the parcel of travelling Fulham fans in the Northam Stand. Up stepped Joe Bryan to take it, and promptly put it straight out of play for a goal-kick. Fulham lost 2-0, and such was their absence of attacking threat that you'd have to put that corner down as one of their highlights.

Indeed, it's been a season with precious few highlights, one that - barring a miracle that would outstrip even Leicester's stunning escape in 2014-15 - appears doomed to end in embarrassing failure. One manager in Slavisa Jokanovic has already gone, another in Claudio Ranieri has just followed, and if the Jol/Meulensteen/Magath debacle of six years ago still feels like a nadir, then it is a measure of their catastrophic campaign that this one is certainly running it close.

So how have we reached this point? In many ways, Fulham best embody the seductive and poisonous allure of the Premier League, having spent lavishly to get there in the first place, spent lavishly to stay there, and spent lavishly to get back, yet without any of the stability or the structures one would associate with a semi-functional club. The impression is of a team run on whims and impulses, plastering over the gaping holes in its long-term strategy with floods of banknotes. Around £100 million in transfer fees alone was paid out over the summer, and with the exception of Aleksandar Mitrovic, whose loan deal was made permanent, you'd struggle to pinpoint a single success.

Meanwhile, a squad that played such bright entertaining football during the promotion season was dismembered. A remarkable measure of the turnover in personnel is that just four of the 16 players who started more than a third of Fulham's league games last season - Denis Odoi, Tim Ream, Ryan Sessegnon and Cairney - have done so again this season. The pathway from the club's much-trumpeted academy to the first team has slowed to a trickle. This wasn't just strengthening. This wasn't just natural renewal.

It was, in essence, a revulsion of the players and the principles that got them into the Premier League in the first place. Small wonder Fulham have looked so ill at ease this season: they're a mixture of the disinterested and the discarded, a two-paced squad playing one-paced football.

After three years of patient building, Jokanovic was given just 12 games to fit these wildly divergent constituent parts together before he was dismissed. In came Ranieri - "risk-free", in the now-infamous words of sporting director Tony Khan - and his sacking to make way for Scott Parker is Fulham's sixth in as many years. Rather drolly, the page on Fulham's club page listing all of its former managers hasn't been updated since the departure of Kit Symons in 2015. Fulham are literally getting through managers quicker than they can upload their profiles to the website.

What links all of this is a sort of infantile impatience, an almost theistic belief in quick fixes and magic bullets, almost a kind of intellectual laziness. From the tourists packing the neutral stand at Craven Cottage, to the carousel of managers and backroom staff, to the bored-looking star players on enormous salaries, this is a club where everyone is simply passing through on the way to their next big payday. Even owner Shahid Khan seems to regard the club as an adjunct, a foothold in his wider strategy of plundering the lucrative UK NFL market, most recently exhibited in his bid to buy Wembley Stadium from the FA.

A fool and his money are soon departed. And while the bigger picture will work itself out in the fullness of time, in the meantime a litany of smaller problems will need to be fixed. Hiring a new permanent manager. Retooling a bloated, unbalanced squad for a Championship promotion campaign. Trimming the soaring wage bill. Mending the broken relationship between boardroom and fanbase. And finding someone better than Bryan to take the corners. Perhaps along the way, the Khans will reach some understanding of what sort of club they want this to be, of how cash and hubris are nothing without a underpinning vision. For too long Fulham have been relying on shortcuts. Now, they seem to be taking the shortest possible route out of the division.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-claudio-ranieri-sacked-manager-scott-parker-next-vs-southampton-championship-a8802086.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri sacked at Fulham over 'strange' selection policy, says Tony Gale

Claudio Ranieri's selection policy and tactics led to him being sacked as Fulham manager, according to former Fulham defender Tony Gale.

Ranieri was dismissed on Thursday afternoon after less than four months in charge at Craven Cottage having managed just three wins in 17 matches in all competitions.

The Italian was sacked after Wednesday's 2-0 defeat at Southampton that saw Fulham's away fans chant 'you don't know what you're doing' following his second-half substitutions and Gale believes it was such tactical decisions that cost the 67-year-old his job.

"I'm not surprised really [about his sacking]," said Gale, who played for Fulham for seven years from 1977.

"I was at Southampton on Wednesday night and we saw a crazy system that was set up that saw some of his better players played out of position.

"I've found that really strange over the past four or five weeks so I am not surprised at all.

"He wasn't playing his best players - the likes of Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney simply have to start in your team.

"They were the success of the previous season and whilst you have to be good defensively, you have to set up a pattern of play which caters for your better players in the team to create and take chances.

"But it never happened, and he seemed to be fighting his better players, and when you're doing that it's always going to end in tears because they haven't looked like being able to win games."

Scott Parker has been placed in charge as Fulham caretaker manager until the end of the season with the club second bottom of the Premier League, 10 points from safety.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11651142/claudio-ranieri-sacked-at-fulham-over-strange-selection-policy-says-tony-gale

WhiteJC

Revealing stat underlines Fulham's instability in the Premier League under Shahid Khan

The likes of Rene Meulensteen and Felix Magath have held the baton since Khan's arrival in 2013

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Fulham and the Italian is just the latest in a long line of coaches to be hired and fired by club owner Shahid Khan.

When caretaker boss Scott Parker takes charge against Chelsea on Sunday, he will become the sixth manager in 67 Premier League games that Khan has overseen.

That is a new manager every 11 matches for a club who finished 19th in the American's first season at the helm, clocking up just 32 points in 2013/14, and currently occupy the same position in the table.

Martin Jol was in the hotseat when Khan bought Fulham in July 2013 and he departed after losing nine of his opening 13 league games under his new boss. Subsequently, both Rene Meulensteen and Felix Magath failed to rescue the Cottagers from the drop.

When returning via the play-offs last summer, there was hope that Slavisa Jokanovic would develop a young, attacking team and provide long-term stability, but he lasted until only November before getting the sack after a summer which saw the club destabilise a side that had taken the Championship by storm with more than 10 new signings.

The Serb's faults were put in perspective, however, by Ranieri winning just three times in 17 attempts.

That leads to Fulham and Khan giving Parker his first role in management, charged with pushing back against a dismal run of results to close the ten-point gap between themselves and safety with ten games remaining.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/fulham-instability-premier-league-shahid-kahn-221615

WhiteJC

Football news - Claudio Ranieri sacked: Where did it go wrong for the Italian at Fulham?

From a porous defence to confusing team selections, Claudio Ranieri's departure from Fulham after just 17 games has not come as a surprise, writes Ben Grounds.

When Claudio Ranieri was appointed as Slavisa Jokanovic's successor at Fulham, the club's owner Shahid Khan as "risk free", but the Italian has left Craven Cottage after just 17 games in charge.

Wednesday night's 2-0 defeat at relegation rivals Southampton proved the final straw, and Ranieri has been dismissed following showdown talks with the club's hierarchy - CEO Alistair Mackintosh and vice-chairman Tony Khan.

So where did it all go wrong for the man who took Leicester to the Premier League title in 2016?

1. Porous defence continued to leak goals
Ranieri was viewed by the club's hierarchy as a shrewd appointment given his tactical acumen and reputation for building a solid defence. He was not about to turn down this opportunity to work so close to his London home, but he will have been only too aware of the size of the task facing him in seeking clean sheets.

His predecessor Jokanovic had overseen a side that had conceded 31 goals in the opening 12 games, the worst defensive record in the division.

Having famously promised pizza for his Leicester players at the start of that title-winning season if they recorded shut-outs in matches, Ranieri was quoted in December saying, "I need a clean sheet like I need pasta".

A shortage of goals and an over-reliance on Aleksandar Mitrovic hasn't gone away despite the arrivals of Ryan Babel and Lazar Markovic in January.

Fulham have had to score at least three goals to win Premier League matches this season, with the club paying the price for lacking a recognised centre-half pairing.

Alfie Mawson was brought in from Swansea as part of Khan's money-ball strategy, while 'having a Tim Ream' has become a byword at the expense of the maligned American. The arrival of Havard Nordtveit - who had failed at this level with both Arsenal and West Ham - hardly set the pulses racing.

2. Transfer turnover left him with hands tied
Fulham were the highest spenders as a promoted team ever to grace the Premier League with £105.3m spent last summer - and it has proven to have a highly unsettling influence.

Their scatter-gun approach was highlighted by a frantic final day of transfer business when the club broke their transfer record with the signing of Marseille's André Frank Zambo Anguissa for £30m.

It brought their total number of signings to 12 and Fulham made another two in January.

Yes, the Italian inherited a mess but there were few signs that he knew how to deal with a bloated squad.

He enjoyed a better win percentage and accrued more points per game than Jokanovic, but with a minus goal difference of -37 - the worst in the division - it was clear which area was critically undermining results.

Having spent so much money with the need for immediate results, this was never going to click. Everything that was good about this Fulham squad from last season was ripped apart, and supporters were already irked by the steep hike in season ticket prices.

Ranieri found himself at the centre of a storm which has had echoes of the shambolic season experienced by QPR in 2014/15, but the 67-year-old was ill-equipped to deal with it.

3. Kamara the bad apple
Things started to turn for Ranieri at the same time that Aboubakar Kamara decided to wrestle the ball from Mitrovic to take a penalty against Huddersfield at the end of December.

Kamara duly missed but the lack of camaraderie was revealed in that show of insubordination towards Ranieri's choice of Mitrovic as the designated penalty taker.

Mitrovic ultimately won Fulham the match, but it was a reflection on the club's dearth of attacking options that the Frenchman was back in the side and scoring in the next match in the 4-1 defeat at Arsenal.

Following another spat with Mitrovic during a subsequent yoga session, Kamara was suspended and put under investigation by the club after an incident at the Motspur Park training ground.

While he was shipped out on loan to Turkish side Yeni Malatyaspor at the end of January, the spate of incidents involving the 23-year-old would surely not have happened under a manager with greater authority.

Ranieri's great charm and popularity among the English press had clearly not registered with some members of the squad, and he was unable to wrestle back that control.

4. Confusing team selections and treatment of fans' favourites
Any side who had fielded three different goalkeepers in their opening nine matches represents something of a poisoned chalice, but Ranieri didn't help himself.

Last May, the future looked very bright under Jokanovic, with the 1-0 victory over Aston Villa at Wembley seeing the club's young and impressionable captain Tom Cairney taking Ryan Sessegnon's pass to score the all-important goal. Such a promising double-act has not been able to flourish.

Sessegnon was viewed as the jewel in Fulham's crown when they returned to the top flight, and while a lot of business was done last summer in bringing new faces to the club, it was the retention of the England Under-21 international that was viewed as their best piece of transfer news.

But the youngster has been moved around from full-back to left wing, a forlorn and failed experiment in a wasted season, with the sense of relegation becoming an increasing inevitability.

The sight of the 18-year-old named on the substitutes' bench against Southampton with Kevin McDonald named in the side for the first time in two months, Ranieri clearly had run out of ideas.

5. Disaffected fans triggered sacking
Fulham fans vented their anger towards Ranieri and Tony Khan on Wednesday night with cries of "you don't know what you're doing" as well as a banner which read "Risk free? Are you watching Tony Khan?"

In what proved Ranieri's final defeat, the Italian knew the writing was on the wall.

Supporters who made the trip to the south coast were left scratching their heads at the final team selection, with key players not in their natural positions before the withdrawal of Cairney with 21 minutes remaining brought those jeers from the away section.

Defeat to a direct relegation rival who have experienced a managerial bounce under Ralph Hasenhuttl was always likely to end in this manner, but it revealed a performance that was identical to the non-existent showing at Huddersfield which finally did for Jokanovic.

Scott Parker was touted as his replacement back at the start of winter, but as the season enters spring, he will take on his former club Chelsea in a west London derby on Sunday. The chances are that it has come too late to prevent relegation, but it is at least an appointment that gets supporters back on side.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2018-2019/_sto7165194/story.shtml