more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why did we let Oliver Norwood go

Started by The Swan, March 13, 2019, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 14, 2019, 09:09:58 AM
Point of order, Max Le Marchant cost very much more than £3.6m. Between 4 and 5 times that.

I tried to acknowledge that above but it's unconfirmed, isn't it. And as discussed previously it's also a bit misleading because it seems that what's essentially alleged to have happened is Nice said to Fulham, "if you pay us £10m more for MLM than his market value, then we'll let you have Seri for £10m less than his value." 

snarks

I would much rather we had kept and played StefJo in the premier rather than Norwood, Similarly Kalas would have been the better signing as a RCB. Still that's why I'm on the terraces paying to watch rather than in the dugout being paid to watch.

RaySmith

Have we actually sold StefJo to WBA?

I was disappointed that he went, but the few times he played he was generally heavily criticised, but did he get a fair chance. Surely, his commitment, work rate and stamina were worth something to the team?

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on March 14, 2019, 09:48:04 AM
Point of order, Max Le Marchant cost very much more than £3.6m. Between 4 and 5 times that.

I tried to acknowledge that above but it's unconfirmed, isn't it. And as discussed previously it's also a bit misleading because it seems that what's essentially alleged to have happened is Nice said to Fulham, "if you pay us £10m more for MLM than his market value, then we'll let you have Seri for £10m less than his value." 
Leaving aside the exact amount of the adjuster between the two players that is apparently what is alleged to have happened in order to avoid payments due (by Nice?) to Seri's former clubs and it is now subject to intended legal actions by those clubs to recover the amounts due to them.  It calls into question what MLM's and Seri's true transfer prices are and were.

On the subject of Norwood, and indeed most of the loanees from last season, I don't believe any of them would have been inferior to what we have witnessed this season from the team perspective.  As commented by others it is the way the team has failed to gel that has cost us dearly this season and I feel there are a multitude of errors behind that not least the failure to recruit or retain key players from that promotion team.  Kalas for example is now on the radar of both Rangers and Celtic as a likely summer signing unless Bristol City decide to buy him.  Had we started with last season's team with the addition of a decent PL quality goalkeeper, centre half, central defensive midfielder, and back up striker, we may have achieved considerably more points than we have done, not to mention the fact we would have had money in the bank to bolster any deficiencies in the January window.   The team would also have kick started itself rather than needing a long period of introductions and understandings that might never come to a satisfactory conclusion (which is what we have had to endure).  It is always wise to stick with the devil you know unless you know exactly what you are doing. 

toshes mate

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on March 14, 2019, 10:06:52 AM
Have we actually sold StefJo to WBA?

I was disappointed that he went, but the few times he played he was generally heavily criticised, but did he get a fair chance. Surely, his commitment, work rate and stamina were worth something to the team?

StefJo is very a much needed squad player if we have any chance to get promoted. "The Championship" is such a long season we'll need more players than this year, we need 2 players in each position plus an extra utlity players ideally Odoi, Johansen and Kamara. If we have 22 players better than Odoi, StefJo and Kamara, I think we can go up.

filham

Sure that Norewood would have proved useful in this relegation situation, certainly more use than Anuissa has been, He would be a good signing to help stabilise things next season.

RaySmith

Quote from: filham on March 14, 2019, 10:27:41 AM
Sure that Norewood would have proved useful in this relegation situation, certainly more use than Anuissa has been, He would be a good signing to help stabilise things next season.

0001.jpeg

I think he could have done a good job this season - certainly one who would help us in the Championsip.

Milo

the nutflush

Could come back to haunt us in more ways than one as this transfer is being investigated. Fancy paying that much for MLM. What a frickin disaster.

spikey norman

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 14, 2019, 01:01:42 AM
Quote from: Penfold on March 13, 2019, 11:54:09 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 13, 2019, 11:41:29 PM
I cannot see how Slavisa is not to blame for letting Norwood go, he was telling papers early August we need cover for McDonald and Mitro; if he thought Norwood and Piazon were cover he would have said that.

Probably because he had no say over the matter.

TK liked Norwood as a loan which was succesful, but you think that Slavisa couldn't talk TK into buying him as a homegrown player for £2m. Norwood's stats are awesome for that price, plus you may have noticed TK bought Mitrovoic and Markovoic because of recommendations.

We were interested in buying Norwood in the January 18 window but Brighton wanted between £5 and £6 million for him which ended our interest.

Statto

Maybe worth noting that Kalas is probably the best defender in the Championship's 3rd best defence at the moment, and Norwood is playing as DM sitting in front of the 2nd best defence. 

Stoneleigh Loyalist

No one has mentioned Norwood's  brilliant stop at the end of the Wembley game when he threw himself in front of  a goal bound shot.
Match winning at the time and  the sort of spirit which has been missing all season.

ffcne

Quote from: bog on March 13, 2019, 09:03:12 PM
I always rated Oli. Wont forget his block in added time in the penalty area in the closing seconds at Wembley or his pen at Boro 90+5.  :54:

092.gif

Great afternoon at the Boro. 95th winner from the spot .
Oh Happy days.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 14, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
No one has mentioned Norwood's  brilliant stop at the end of the Wembley game when he threw himself in front of  a goal bound shot.
Match winning at the time and  the sort of spirit which has been missing all season.

I shall never forget that moment, something that would not have picked up on Khans stats.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ffcne on March 14, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: bog on March 13, 2019, 09:03:12 PM
I always rated Oli. Wont forget his block in added time in the penalty area in the closing seconds at Wembley or his pen at Boro 90+5.  :54:

092.gif

Great afternoon at the Boro. 95th winner from the spot .
Oh Happy days.

He is worth two of some of the recruits the owners son brought on huge wages last Summer.
Because the Computer said yes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.