watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When To Appoint The New Manager

Started by filham, March 15, 2019, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

We could always invite SJ to be our new DoF and leave SP to have a fair shot at being head coach..... 

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 12:08:03 AM
Yes everything you say is correct, but according to annual reports we made a huge losses and once Tigana took over, he was begging for more money than the previous five year plan.

You don't turn a club from a league two team to a mid-table PL team in the space of 6 years and make a profit. Each year we needed new investment to take the team to the next level, including for Tigana at the end.

Keegan, as thoroughly illustrated by the other posts above, still got good value for his signings. With this summer's budget and someone who could do that like keegan as DoF, we'd be where wolves are right now.

FWIW I'm still not advocating we bring keegan out of retirement. I can't see him having the drive anymore.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: toshes mate on March 17, 2019, 08:10:55 AM
We could always invite SJ to be our new DoF and leave SP to have a fair shot at being head coach.....

Now then if somebody was to post a comment along the lines of 'based on what consistent and prolonged record of achievements' there could be the makings of a discussion on that proposal.
But alas its match day and our minds are otherwise engaged. Second gutsy home performance on the trot might be the general theme otherwise it's meltdown time again. I would just like it known that Odoi's Mum will still love him to bits around 4.30.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 10:52:24 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 12:08:03 AM
Yes everything you say is correct, but according to annual reports we made a huge losses and once Tigana took over, he was begging for more money than the previous five year plan.

You don't turn a club from a league two team to a mid-table PL team in the space of 6 years and make a profit. Each year we needed new investment to take the team to the next level, including for Tigana at the end.

Keegan, as thoroughly illustrated by the other posts above, still got good value for his signings. With this summer's budget and someone who could do that like keegan as DoF, we'd be where wolves are right now.

FWIW I'm still not advocating we bring keegan out of retirement. I can't see him having the drive anymore.

It depends how you define success, if you define it as spending 50m to get in Premier League and exit the league making no money; then financial speaking its either a hobby (something you spend money on but always expect to get less money back) or it is a financially failure.

I would agree that with Kevin Keegan (of the 90s) it is likely that we would be where Wolves are right now. But, financially Wolves will still be a disaster pouring money into the club year after year, just like FFC was didn't earn MAF any money.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 12:48:51 PM
It depends how you define success, if you define it as spending 50m to get in Premier League and exit the league making no money; then financial speaking its either a hobby (something you spend money on but always expect to get less money back) or it is a financially failure.

I would agree that with Kevin Keegan (of the 90s) it is likely that we would be where Wolves are right now. But, financially Wolves will still be a disaster pouring money into the club year after year, just like FFC was didn't earn MAF any money.

To reiterate, just over a year become Keegan came in, we'd dropped to 91st out of the 92 professional football clubs in England, and lost our match against the team that were 92nd. Six years later we were a mid-table PL club. I don't know what the the actual cost was but if you say it cost £50m to get there then that was an absolute bargain and most definitely within my definition of "success". Keegan's job was just to help get us there, and he left the club in what, 1999? So I'm not going to judge him on how the club was run from 2001 to 2013. I don't know what the TV revenue was back then but I'm guessing in our 13 PL seasons, we earned something like £500m, so plenty more than Keegan had spent.

H4usuallysitting

Parker will be manager....with Gray & the new spuds bloke

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on March 17, 2019, 04:15:33 PM
Parker will be manager....with Gray & the new spuds bloke

Yeah, I think they're sticking with Scott Parker. They're already letting him build a staff. We'll see. Fine by me.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 17, 2019, 12:48:51 PM

To reiterate, just over a year become Keegan came in, we'd dropped to 91st out of the 92 professional football clubs in England, and lost our match against the team that were 92nd. Six years later we were a mid-table PL club. I don't know what the the actual cost was but if you say it cost £50m to get there then that was an absolute bargain and most definitely within my definition of "success". Keegan's job was just to help get us there, and he left the club in what, 1999? So I'm not going to judge him on how the club was run from 2001 to 2013. I don't know what the TV revenue was back then but I'm guessing in our 13 PL seasons, we earned something like £500m, so plenty more than Keegan had spent.

Yes, thats about correct we spent about £50m to get and stay up, but then we spent another £150m spent more than TV Money to stay up. Offical losses were already £200m by the time the Khans took over and continues to rise.

ken 44

The usual rubbish talked after a defeat, and no mention of the improvement since Scott Parker has been in charge, some of you were forecasting a six nil defeat, and are sad you did'nt get it. numpties. Ken44

Woolly Mammoth

I hope Scott Parker and his coaching staff stay at Fulham. Overall we have been playing more like a team since he has taken over. Far more commitment from players, far more effort.
Today was never ever going to be easy, he can only use the players he has in front of him.
But I am impressed with his game management.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 17, 2019, 05:02:26 PM
I hope Scott Parker and his coaching staff stay at Fulham. Overall we have been playing more like a team since he has taken over. Far more commitment from players, far more effort.
Today was never ever going to be easy, he can only use the players he has in front of him.

Regards the two home defeats I agree. Wasn't impressed by our efforts at Leicester though.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on March 17, 2019, 05:16:05 PM

Regards the two home defeats I agree. Wasn't impressed by our efforts at Leicester though.

I have to agree with you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Our esteemed owner needs to think long and hard what he wants to do with his club.

Wolves are super ambitious and effectively purchased a Champions League team while in The Championship.
Watch for their signings this summer under their DOF Super Agent Mendez. Coupled with the extension of the ground to take 50,000.
Our owner is tasked with following loosely that template (with a fabulous tactical manager) or hope Scot can squeeze enough out of the remaining bits of our squad to get us in position to be a yo yo club.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

johnny too bad

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 10:52:24 AM
Bedford Jezzard would have a bit more spark (and he's been dead for 14 years).

..FOF..

If it is Parker, then hopefully it can be made official before the end of April.

Then we have to focus on Tony who will chart Fulham's fate until August.

Dixie

+1

I was advocating Scotty P to my mate at the game and his quibble was the 'lack of experience'. I can kind of understand this argument, but look at what happens when you bring in a 'proven' manager like Ranieri, Magath, Jol...
What Fulham needs is someone who gets what it is to be Fulhamish, that's why i still love Coleman, Woy, Joka. There was just a fit there. I am feeling the same about Scot so far and his management career has to start somewhere... where better than the club he ended his playing career at?
I never felt good about Ranieri, despite what he achieved at Leicester, same with Jol and to a degree Symons (although i desperately wanted him to do well!) but i'm feeling good about Parker.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Dixie on March 18, 2019, 10:35:12 PM
+1

I was advocating Scotty P to my mate at the game and his quibble was the 'lack of experience'. I can kind of understand this argument, but look at what happens when you bring in a 'proven' manager like Ranieri, Magath, Jol...
What Fulham needs is someone who gets what it is to be Fulhamish, that's why i still love Coleman, Woy, Joka. There was just a fit there. I am feeling the same about Scot so far and his management career has to start somewhere... where better than the club he ended his playing career at?
I never felt good about Ranieri, despite what he achieved at Leicester, same with Jol and to a degree Symons (although i desperately wanted him to do well!) but i'm feeling good about Parker.

The FFC Financials for this Club under Chris Coleman were a disaster from 2003 to 2007, no owner would be interested in a formula of repeating those years, interesting a yo-yo club West Brom did much better than FFC financial during that period.

Sunderland had an owner with the money to invest, but he was convinced all managers outside the Top Six fail financially. Chris Coleman was the manager and he failed to convince the owner to spend money so Sunderland were relegated to League One.

I doubt you'll find an owner that would ever support "old business model that didn't work" (i.e. trust the manager with sanity checks), so we are better to accept the owners investment into an "untried business models that may never work" (i.e. trust the statistics with sanity checks), and after a while of buying duds players, the recruitment may improve with new model being better and may work after losing heaps of money.

toshes mate

filham

Parker has done very well in three very tough matches, another good performance against City followed by a point from Watford and a home win against Everton should be sufficient to enable him to be appointed permanent manager. This would take away the pressure on him to win matches and he could then think about blooding youngsters with a view to having them ready for next season.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: toshes mate on March 19, 2019, 08:48:06 AM
Is our DoF even paying attention?

No Attention from Tony Khan is Best, he gave us a Good Championship Squad.

Here is the squad, if he does absolutely nothing.

Betts/Fabri

Christie/S.Sess   Mawson/Odoi   Ream/MLM    Bryan/T.Edun

Anguissa/Cisse          Seri/McDonald

Cairney/Johasen

R.Sess/Kamara          Mitro/Fonte            Atiye/Kebano

Squad Players 23-28: Rodak (GK), Djaló (CB), Riley(CM), Elliot(RW), Torres(LW) 

Not much to do just
i) if Kamara or Sess is sold, then add Markovoic
ii) if Mawson has fitness issues, then add Norveidt or Kalas
iii) if spare cash add Markovoic, Norveidt or Kalas