watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Scott the man we need to manage us next season

Started by The Swan, March 24, 2019, 10:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I thought that he might do a good job but his team selection against Liverpool surprised me.

I wondered why he played Ayite and brought on Kebano in the second half. They did not improve the teams performance.

They were not good enough to start last year in the Championship.
The Swan

The Rock

I'd rather have SJ back, but Scott has learnt from him and others, and he is a very intelligent footballer.

If our managerial appts are any indication, it's the Khans and recruitment that are the issue, not the gaffer. To stare the obvious.

So sure.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: The Swan on March 24, 2019, 10:25:38 PM
I thought that he might do a good job but his team selection against Liverpool surprised me.

I wondered why he played Ayite and brought on Kebano in the second half. They did not improve the teams performance.

I think the answer is simple, FFC needed to see if Ayite and Kebano are the kind of players that could perform against Liverpool. If Fulham get back into the premier league quickly, the question FFC needs to know, which players to have in the squad as reserves. For Example, IMO, Odoi is not an ideal first team player in the Championship (but good bench player), and he is ideal 3rd team premier league squad player.

Cottage Industry

Scott Parker, I agree was an intelligent footballer and you do not lose that ability overnight. He inherited a difficult squad and so far seems to have the players on his side. The recent performances have been a vast improvement and if he brought in Matt Wells from Spurs they appear to sing from from the same hymn sheet. Both are young and I for one would be happy if the management gave them both a fair crack of the whip. We have seen managers that go from club to club and  never get off the merry go round. Now we have the opportunity to appoint  permanently two decent, young, up and coming intelligent former players to manage our club. Now is the ideal time for Scott to try and bring some stability to the club by giving those players a chance whom he thinks are worth a run in the first team.  He has a vast array of talent in the academy and also a lot of experience in some of the first team. That blend could be vital on both the training field and the matches to come, be it the Premier League or Championship. We appear to have a couple of gems on our books so I hope we do not throw that chance away by at least not giving them a chance to implement their own ideas.

toshes mate

I don't think it is healthy to conflate game to game issues let alone season to season issues.  From December on, last seasons team virtually picked itself, except for injury and availability issues and the signings of Mitro and Targett in positions where we had problems anyway.  That is often the case when teams are on successful runs and makes life easier for the coaching team since outsiders have to try that bit harder to impress.  This season decent performances have been few and far between and, IMO, SP has got one a reasonable display out of the team for around 50% of his time as head coach.  He appears to be relishing the experience and has a chance to emulate some of FFC's finest 'great escape illusionists' with what remains of the season.  I haven't written him off yet and so he is obviously doing most things right and could be in line to give the Khans a headache by the final whistle on the season.   

Sting of the North

I thought Ayite had a good game, and certainly was better than Sess has been overall the last few games. So, I believe he was part of an improved performance. I also disagree that he was not good enough to start last year. He was almost always picked by Joka the last two seasons when healthy, and imo easily good enough to be a started in the Championship.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 25, 2019, 08:57:14 AM

I thought Ayite had a good game, and certainly was better than Sess has been overall the last few games. So, I believe he was part of an improved performance. I also disagree that he was not good enough to start last year. He was almost always picked by Joka the last two seasons when healthy, and imo easily good enough to be a started in the Championship.

He seems fitter than parts of last years season, but i'm sure Fulham know this.

Slaphead in Qatar

Jury's out - doesn't help he started with really difficult fixtures

Holders

Next year will be the place to try him out, if he does a decent-enough job between now and the end of the season. If he and his coaching team get us promoted they'll have earned a go at the PL in my opinion. As ever, so much will depend on suitable recruitment.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Milo

Ayite has earned his place in this squad on performances eg Leicester.

Kebano perhaps was an effort to play the permanent squad members to get a feel for who stays/who goes.

I think keep Ayite next year but let Kebano go. Ayite won't be here when we go back up but he will be handy off the bench.

filham

I am prepared for a thrashing at the Cottage against City but after that I think the real test starts for Scott, we will be expecting him  to pick up a few points to give a degree of respectability to our relegation.
If we can pick up ten points from the last six games I would want to see Scot given a 2 year contract immediately and then to see him actively involved in the rebuild for next season.

snarks

No longer prepared for a thrashing by City, a defeat yes, but if the players play as they did against Liverpool and Chelsea we shouldn't get thrashed.

The next games after this will define whether Scott stays or goes. I really hope all the Steve Clarke rumors are false though.

Statto

Disgaree with the OP's points (Ayite was our first choice RW last year and I liked the Liverpool line-up) but certainly think there's a debate to be had about Parker.

I'd be very interested to know if, in the event that (as expected) he loses all of his first 6 games in charge, will fans still be supportive?

I know they're tough games but has there ever been a caretaker manager who has started with a run like that and still had the support of the fans?

Woolly Mammoth

I do not expect us to get thrashed by City or by anyone else up to the end of the season. I reckon we will stand our ground, fight our corner, and go toe to toe with every opponent from now on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

Sorry I would not keep parker as manager next season. He is still learning his trade. I believe he would go the same was as kit symonds. Get a far more experienced manager in and leave Scott as no 2. Then if. It all tips up you can sack him and bring in Scott. He will be another year experienced then

AnOldBrownie

Doubt anyone knows.

Squad is good enough as currently put together to be a top six championship side regardless of who the coach is.

I guess my answer is..why not? 

I'm Scott in until given a reason not to be.   In the past 5 years I've seen experienced managers get fired because they don't fit the team.  Scott will have EPL experience when this season is over.  Hypothetically it should be enough.  Plus, he's seen Claudio and Slav manage...

Scott appears to fit the team, but can he win against level competition (sorry, Manchester City and Liverpool are not level to Fulham) is the question.

I believe in giving him the chance to prove himself.   

..FOF..

At this point, the coach and players are not the criteria WE NEED to consider.

We can have any coach but if management messed it up horribly and then pushed the Panic Button too early, we will go back to square one.

I am happy to have Scott holding the fort.

By the end of April I hope we will have a lot of words from the Khans of How Are They Going To Improve Their Own Management?

Everything can be improved right?.... You cannot expect to do the same things over and over again and then expect a different result.

Once the Khans addresses all the improvements to be made on their top level side, can we then take a look at the coach.

The coach will then have a clear indication of what he will have to deal with.

It have to be around April.

This will give Scott or our new coach time to think deeply of their strategies in working with the management.

During the break, the coach can start to negotiate their contract and plan ahead.

If we delay this process by even 1 month, we could be disrupted and instead see another new coach in October.

hovewhite

Quote from: Cottage Industry on March 25, 2019, 07:25:32 AM
Scott Parker, I agree was an intelligent footballer and you do not lose that ability overnight. He inherited a difficult squad and so far seems to have the players on his side. The recent performances have been a vast improvement and if he brought in Matt Wells from Spurs they appear to sing from from the same hymn sheet. Both are young and I for one would be happy if the management gave them both a fair crack of the whip. We have seen managers that go from club to club and  never get off the merry go round. Now we have the opportunity to appoint  permanently two decent, young, up and coming intelligent former players to manage our club. Now is the ideal time for Scott to try and bring some stability to the club by giving those players a chance whom he thinks are worth a run in the first team.  He has a vast array of talent in the academy and also a lot of experience in some of the first team. That blend could be vital on both the training field and the matches to come, be it the Premier League or Championship. We appear to have a couple of gems on our books so I hope we do not throw that chance away by at least not giving them a chance to implement their own ideas.
I think they are a good fit at Fulham so would give them a season in the championship as the man to lead us should be slavisa,but it ain't going to happen!

FulForce

Seriously, what other team in England is asking this question?

Joe Cole as Sporting Director? Marlon Harewood as Technical Director?

We needed to sack Ranieri during his probation period and Parker is the cheapest option.

Expect a whole new starting 11 on the first day of the Championship.