News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reason why building our new small riverside stand will take so long?

Started by fcfulham55, March 16, 2019, 11:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcfulham55

Our new stand, which will seat less than the Hammersmith stand will take 2 years.

But how did spurs get a schedule for 2 years to demolish and build  a huge stadium? Albeit they are well behind schedule. 

I understand the River poses a problem, but been involved in projects much more complex.   The River would infact have many advantages as you can use Barges for example to transport materials to site.

2 years for a relatively small stand and structure is perhaps just playing timescales safe?
Sent from my Nokia 3310

The Rational Fan

I imagine we will have pulled the old Riverside Stand down and ready to build the new one by the time, we know if promotion is feasible. I wonder if there is a Go / No Go decision then.

guru_matt

It is possible there is some dark conspiracy.

More likely it's is a complex build on a notoriously difficult environment. There is going to be a lot more weight bearing down on the muddy river bank. What you see on top can be very different from what is happening underneath.

The sooner it's complete, the sooner the owners can start revenue generating activities there. There is clear motivation to get it done. The more money the ground can make, the more money there is to buy players.

It may take even longer as digging in that spot there is good chance of uncovering some archeological issues, and possibly a left over from WWII. I was working in Canary Wharf when this happened => http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6920474.stm

Roberty

The spuds schedule was not two years  - they started in 2015 and it isn't finished yet !

They'd already built most of the new stadium before they went to Wembley - the two years your talking about was to finish it and the plan was to spend just one season at Wembley - so that part has actually taken them twice as long as planned
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

H4usuallysitting

Talking of building.... Brentford &  the London Irish new home is rapidly coming out of the ground...looks like 3 stands now have roofs on....

One Martin Thomas

Spurs were known to be paying a fortune for overtime and weekend work etc.... we don't need to in this case. That's certainly one reason.

Lack of space including the river will not help the build.

Asbestos will possibly be present which slows down any build.

toshes mate

No matter where you construct or demolish and rebuild there will be problems, some foreseen and others not.  The timescales provided at planning and contracts stages are essential to keeping a project organised and not subject to avoidable delays. But once you start it is anybody's guess when you'll finish.   

HillingdonFFC

Not sure what complex projects you've been involved in ? I've got no knowledge of the building game myself but according to a pal of mine in the construction industry what Fulham are planning(if it ever happens) is far from straightforward.
Theyre having to reclaim land from the river, the basement levels are occupying an area that would've been in the Thames, apparently issues with putting piles in & having stable foundations in the river are a problem
The capacity of the stand is relatively small but extra capacity wasn't the main driver for its construction, more about better hospitality & corporate facilities .The whole structure is huge, there are 7 levels, shops, cafes, bars, restaurants plus apartments. Its nearly twice the size of the existing stand.