watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vic Buckingham

Started by filham, March 21, 2019, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

A good article on the back page of Telegraph Sport this morning on Vic Buckingham.

France Football magazine has published a list of the world's best ever football managers and Vic Buckingham is one of only five Englishman included.
The article relates how in the 65/66 season we were well adrift in the old 1st division and were facing Liverpool with only 13 matches to go. A smiling Vic entered the dressing room and said" lads I have worked it out that we only have to win 10 of our remaining games to stay up" We had managed only5 wins in our previous 29.

We avoided the drop that season. It really was a Great Escape.

bog

I may be wrong but I think Dave Sexton coming in as coach had a lot to do with that. Mind you I may have got me seasons mixed up.  :022: 

092.gif

Tonywa

Quote from: bog on March 21, 2019, 10:13:42 AM
I may be wrong but I think Dave Sexton coming in as coach had a lot to do with that. Mind you I may have got me seasons mixed up.  :022: 

092.gif

The appointment of Sexton was crucial.  He totally re-vamped the playing system and given the dramatic improvement in results had a lot more to do with the turnaround than Buckingham.

Andy S

He did eventually get us relegated though when I first started watching the whites. I don't even think he was one of the best managers at Fulham. Sexton yes, Buckingham no.

bog

He sold Graham Leggat, I never forgave him for that.  Rodney Marsh could not stand Buckingham.

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Dave Sexton was the Architect in the improvement of our results.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

My understanding was sexton was kety and Buckingham was loathed by the playing staff.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I have frequently told younger fans that the 65/66 Great Escape was one of the highlights of my 68 years of watching Fulham.
Who can forget Fulham 4 Northampton 2 if you were around at that time and it was down to Dave Sexton and not Buckingham.

deadcowboys

Sexton's coaching & the introduction of the youngsters Barrett & Earle + the arrival of Alan Clarke made all the difference.

Stevie Earle's handball goals to beat Liverpool a joy. We seem to have been paying for that ever since.

My 1st season of watching the boys, great way to start.

bog

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 22, 2019, 11:55:19 AM
I have frequently told younger fans that the 65/66 Great Escape was one of the highlights of my 68 years of watching Fulham.
Who can forget Fulham 4 Northampton 2 if you were around at that time and it was down to Dave Sexton and not Buckingham.

I was there.  049:gif Never forget that day. What a drive home that was!

filham

Who can forget Fulham 4 Northampton 2 if you were around at that time and it was down to Dave Sexton and not Buckingha
Yes that was a great performance and at a time when we were breaking away from the old formations and we were trying to play with only three up front, it seemed to work well for Steve Earl and he had a great game that afternoon at Northampton.