https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (18/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 18, 2019, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Liverpool

James Milner spared Liverpool's blushes against 19th-placed Fulham

Liverpool returned to the top of the Premier League but needed James Milner's late penalty to avoid dropping points at Fulham.

Leading through Sadio Mane's 11th goal in as many games in all competitions, the visitors failed to put a limited Fulham side away, allowing the hosts back into the game.

A dire defensive mix-up between defender Virgil van Dijk and goalkeeper Alisson gifted Ryan Babel an equaliser against his former club on 74 minutes.

But Fulham keeper Sergio Rico then made an equally poor blunder, dropping Mohamed Salah's curling shot and fouling Mane as the Senegal forward went for the ball.

Substitute Milner calmly hit his penalty down the middle as Rico dived right, sending a relieved Liverpool back to the top for the first time since 1 March.

Jurgen Klopp's side are now two points ahead of Manchester City, who have a game in hand.

Relief for the Reds
With Fulham carrying little threat and unable to keep the ball midfield in the first half, this became a test of whether Liverpool could focus and avoid complacency.

They were far from their slick and incisive best - Firmino was poor aside from his assist for Mane's goal and frequently misplaced passes, Adam Lallana was anonymous in midfield and Joel Matip headed well wide when free at a corner.

While Liverpool's defenders were alert enough to cut off Fulham's sporadic forays forward, it seemed that one-goal lead would be enough. But then their concentration lapsed.

They had a let-off when Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's drive from outside the area deflected in off Floyd Ayite but was quickly disallowed, with the Fulham forward clearly offside.

Yet Milner then sliced a clearance with his first touch after coming on and it dropped between Van Dijk and Alisson. The keeper failed to come when beckoned, the Dutch defender's header back was weak and Babel was able to sneak in, the ball deflecting up off him past Alisson for the simplest tap-in.

It would have been an embarrassing way to cede ground in the title race but Liverpool's fervency to make amends at the other end ultimately induced a mistake from Rico to help salvage a vital victory.

For Fulham, they defended well against Liverpool's dangerous front three, with Tim Ream and Joe Bryan making key interceptions to deny Salah, and grew in confidence during a brighter spell in the second half.

But still 13 points from safety with seven games to go and champions Manchester City next up, pride and positivity is perhaps all they look to be playing for now.

Sadio's stellar streak goes on
Mane has been Liverpool's most potent threat over the past two months and from the start his team-mates looked to him to open up Fulham.

He took his goal superbly, shifting inside from the left to find Firmino cutting to the byeline before continuing his run on the diagonal to collect the Brazilian's return pass and fire a first-time strike past the stranded Rico.

Mane could end up this year's Premier League top scorer if this surge continues - this was his ninth goal in as many league games, taking his season tally to 17, level with Salah, Harry Kane and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and one behind Sergio Aguero.

The 26-year-old nearly had a second just before Babel's equaliser, heading a flick-on from a corner onto the top of the crossbar, before putting himself in the right position to beat Rico in winning the penalty.

That contribution was even more important given Firmino's out-of-sorts performance and another quiet day for Salah.

The Egypt winger scuffed an early chance wide, saw a turning strike saved by Rico and now has not scored in seven games in all competitions.

'We lost the rhythm a bit' - reaction

Fulham boss Scott Parker, speaking to BBC Sport: "The back end of the game we came strong and caused Liverpool some problems. It was pleasing, but we have lost [but have] some positives to take from the game.

"These players have been working really well for the two weeks I've been here. But you need to stay in the game against Liverpool. First half we did that. We changed things around a little bit and were in the ascendancy. The goal was what we deserved. We were in a position then to get the right side of it.

"I have seen some massive positives. I stand here two weeks on from being involved and these players are working to a maximum. The attitude and passion that comes with that means this club will be in a better place."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a bit like we are - we started really well, did a lot of good things and lost the rhythm a little bit.

"I'm not the most experienced manager but I've had similar problems after Champions League games - the first half is a bit rusty. We could've finished it off in the second half but if you don't kill the game at 1-0 up it's clear something like that can happen.

"I have no doubt about my players' nerves. I always want perfection but it's rare that you get it. People will say we should be more convincing in games like this but this is us, we are in the middle of a development, not at the end. How the boys dealt with it was brilliant."

Man of the match - Sadio Mane (Liverpool)

If Milner scores, you win - stats

Liverpool have extended their unbeaten Premier League run to 10 matches (W6 D4 L0) and went back to the top of the Premier League for the first time since 1 March.
Fulham have now lost 25 of their last 26 Premier League matches against the 'big six' (W0 D1 L25), losing all 11 this season.
Liverpool's James Milner extended his Premier League record of never losing a game in which he's scored - it now stands at 51 games (W40 D11 L0).
Sadio Mane has scored nine Premier League goals in 2019 for Liverpool - the joint-most in the competition along with Sergio Aguero.
Scott Parker became the first Fulham manager to lose his first three Premier League games in charge since Roy Hodgson in January 2008.
Mane scored his 17th Premier League goal of the season - the most by a Senegalese player in the history of the competition, overtaking Demba Ba's tally of 16 for Newcastle United in the 2011-12 season.

What's next?

Fulham host Manchester City in the Premier League at 12:30 GMT on Saturday, 30 March.

Liverpool face Tottenham at Anfield on Sunday, 31 March, with the kick-off at 16:30 BST.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47512151

WhiteJC

Parker Reaction

Sunday's defeat to Liverpool was a tough one for Caretaker Manager Scott Parker to take.

Despite the now league leaders going in front in the first half, Fulham stuck at it and drew level through former Red Ryan Babel, before Sergio Rico was beaten from 12 yards after conceding a penalty.

"Obviously reflecting on it now, I'm very disappointed with the result," Parker said. "First half we set up and tried to stay in the game – we worked on that this week.

"And certainly second half, as the game was moving forward we put them under a lot of pressure and got a goal, albeit from a mistake.

"It felt like we were well in the game at that point but then Sergio's made a mistake and we just couldn't hold on to what would have been a massive point for us.

"There were some big positives, and I include the first half. We're playing against a team which is arguably the best counter attacking team in Europe.

"They've got a front three which is pretty deadly and, the position we're in, we understand that we need to try and stay in the game, and certainly I feel like we did that first half.

"And there were some positives second half where the players were really on the front foot. We got back in the game and it's just a shame we couldn't hold on."

André Frank Zambo Anguissa was brought into midfield, and impressed in the Fulham engine room with a powerful performance.

And when asked if he thought it was his best showing in a Whites shirt, Parker replied: "I definitely did. I thought Frank was superb today.

"He's had a difficult time, coming in for a big transfer fee, and getting up to speed with the league has been difficult at times.

"You look at any player in his position, you look at all the top teams, whether it's Fred at Man United or Fabinho at Liverpool, early on in the season they're not playing too much because they're trying to get up to the pace of the Premier League.

"Frank just needed time to settle in and I thought certainly today he was first class, he did really well. I was really pleased for him."

Fulham's next match is equally daunting as we're handed a second chance to have a say in the title race when Manchester City visit Craven Cottage in just under a fortnight.

And Parker is hoping to see a similar effort from his troops when Pep Guardiola's men come to town.

"We'd worked all week on coming up with a gameplan, and the boys have been superb in understanding, and have applied themselves daily," he said. "And we'll do the same for Man City.

"As long as the players have the same focus and the same determination that they've had this week, then for sure I know as a team and as a club we'll be in a better place.

"There were some big positives. Am I gutted about the result? Of course I am, but there were some big positives."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/17/scott-parker-liverpool-reaction

WhiteJC

Mane scores again as Liverpool beat Fulham to go top

(Reuters) - FULHAM 1 LIVERPOOL 2

Liverpool's livewire Sadio Mane scored one goal and played a crucial part in the other as they reclaimed the Premier League's top spot with a scrappy 2-1 win at second bottom Fulham on Sunday.

It had looked like being a frustrating day for Juergen Klopp's side after Mane's opener was cancelled out by Ryan Babel following a mistake by Virgil van Dijk, but substitute James Milner slotted home an 81st-minute penalty to take the points.

Klopp was delighted with the outcome and his team's ability to grind out what could be a telling result in their bid to win their first league title since 1990.

"We started really well, and did a lot of good things but lost the rhythm a bit," the German told Sky Sports.

"I am not the most experienced manager and I have similar problems after Champions League games.

"First half a bit rusty. Second half we could have finished it off and then it is clear at 1-0 if you don't kill it off that can happen. They deserved a goal but we deserved three points. A brilliant afternoon I have to say.

"I am not in any doubt about my players' nerves. It is about intensity. We go for perfection but it is rare that you get it."

Liverpool have 76 points from 31 games, two more than champions Manchester City who have a game in hand. Fulham have 17 points and a mountain to climb if they are to avoid almost certain relegation from the top flight.

Mane scored his ninth league goal in as many games when he fired the visitors into a 26th-minute lead with a classy finish which typified Liverpool's attacking mentality under Klopp.

The Senegal forward exchanged a blistering one-two with Roberto Firmino before he buried his shot from seven metres past Fulham keeper Sergio Rico, who then denied Andy Robertson and Van Dijk either side of halftime.

Mane shaved the crossbar with a glancing header before a calamitous Van Dijk error gifted Fulham a 74th-minute equaliser, as his poor header back to keeper Alisson Becker was intercepted by former Liverpool winger Babel.

The Dutchman beat Alisson to the ball and refrained from celebrating against his former club after stroking the ball into an empty net.

"Obviously I respect my old club," Babel said after Fulham set a club record of seven successive Premier League defeats. "I still support them as a fan so of course I showed them respect."

Another howler, this time by Rico, decided the contest as the keeper spilled a tame Mohamed Salah shot and then hauled down Mane who pounced on the rebound, leaving Milner to stroke home the winner from the spot.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-ful-liv-report/mane-scores-again-as-liverpool-beat-fulham-to-go-top-idUKKCN1QY0R1?rpc=401&;

WhiteJC

Reporter Suggests 'Bad Weather' Played Part In Fulham's Goal, Virgil Van Dijk's Response Is Perfect

Liverpool saw their title challenge momentarily threatened this afternoon against Fulham after a comedy of errors by their defence and goalkeeper.

With title rivals Man City playing in the FA Cup quarter-finals against Swansea City yesterday, Jurgen Klopp's men had the opportunity to go into the international break top of the Premier League with a win at Craven Cottage.

They looked on course to do exactly that when Sadio Mane put the Reds in front in the first-half.

But former Liverpool favourite Ryan Babel leveled things on 74 minutes, after, well, some pretty shabby defending all round.

Image: PA

It looked as though both van Dijk and Alisson were most at fault, but after the match James Milner also took his brunt of the blame after blazing the ball into the sky in the build-up.

Van Dijk also responded to the reporter who suggested that the bad weather played a part in the goal, and his response was classy.

"I'm not giving excuses, it is what it is"

With Liverpool now top of the tree by two points with just seven games to play, do you think they'll manage to pip Pep Guardiola's side?

http://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-take-a-bow-reporter-says-bad-weather-played-a-part-in-goal-virgil-van-dijks-res-20190317

WhiteJC

Scott Parker 'gutted' for Fulham players after Liverpool defeat
Fulham have now lost last seven as Premier League status hangs by a thread

Scott Parker admitted he was "gutted" for his Fulham players after they fell to a 2-1 defeat by Premier League leaders Liverpool on Super Sunday.

After Ryan Babel had cancelled out Sadio Mane's equaliser at Craven Cottage, Sergio Rico's late foul on Sadio Mane allowed Liverpool to grab a win via a James Milner penalty, meaning Fulham sit 19th following seven straight defeats.

Their chances of survival are slim with seven games remaining, sitting 13 points from safety, and caretaker manager Parker could not hide his disappointment after a hard-fought second half.

Asked if Fulham had thrown the game away, Parker told Sky Sports: "Yeah probably. Gutted, disappointed, mainly for the players really. I said before the day how hard everyone has been working this week.

"Even as slow as we were in the first half in the attacking third, I saw things which were part of what we want, and then certainly second half."

Parker was easy on his goalkeeper Rico for the late penalty, which came after the goalkeeper had spilled a simple Mo Salah shot before grabbing at Mane.

"You see it every week, when a player makes a mistake, his first action is to try and put it right, and nine times out of 10 the first thing they do when they've made a mistake is take out everyone in front of them because they want to make amends.

"Sergio has pulled off some great saves today but he's obviously made a little error there."

Parker's job interview for the full-time managerial position has consisted of three straight defeats so far, but the former Fulham midfielder is confident the club are moving in the right direction.

"This is a process, it's something that will take time, but I see some evidence to suggest we're moving in the right direction.

"Listen, I said it two weeks ago, I said it after the last games, my message is the same, and to the players, this group have quality. What we have lacked at times this year is fight. I'm extremely proud of what they've done today. I'm proud of everyone, staff and players.

"If there's one thing I'm not it's a kidder. It's there in black and white for us all to see [the Premier League table].

"We know the mountain is bigger, we understand the challenge ahead of us, seven games left, if we can have that spirit we had today, and at times that play we had which I know will only improve, certainly I know us as a team and as a football club will be in a better place."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11668283/scott-parker-gutted-for-fulham-players-after-liverpool-defeat

WhiteJC

Scott Parker transcript: Every word on defeat to Liverpool, Anguissa's best performance & more

The caretaker manager has been speaking to the press after 2-1 defeat to Liverpool this afternoon

Make of that performance?

Now reflecting on it we're really disappointed in the result. First half we set off a bit and tried to stay in the game and we worked on that this week and the second half as the game moved forward we put them under pressure and got a goal, albeit from a mistake.

It felt like we were well in the game and then Sergio made a mistake and we couldn't hold onto what would've been a massive point for us.

Positives to take from that?

There were big positives. We played against the best counter attacking team in Europe, a front three which are pretty deadly. We need to stay in the game and we did that first half and there was some massive positives in the second half where the players took the front foot and we got back into the game but it's a shame we couldn't hold on.

Was it a penalty?

Yeah, I think so. Seeing it back, you often see it, individuals make mistakes, when it happens that quick in a football match nine times out of ten you don't think rationally, it's milliseconds, you make a mistake and want to make amends, Sergio wanted to make amends and nine times out of ten you end up committing a foul.

Was that's Anguissa's best performance in a Fulham shirt?

Yeah I do. He was superb today, he's had a difficult time coming in with a big transfer fee, getting up to speed with the league has been difficult at times and I think anyone in his position, you look at all the teams, United with Fred or Liverpool with Fabinho early on in the season they aren't playing too much because they're trying to get up to speed of the Premier League.

Us as a club need Frank straight away, he needed time to settle in and today he was first class, really pleased with him.

Third game now, want the job permanently, need to win some games between now and then to get it?

I understand that in my position my main focus is seeing improvements in the team. I also understand it's about results so I want them more than anyone.

Do I see an improvement? For sure I do, but the reality is we need to get some results.

What can you take from this performance to use against City?

We worked all week on a game plan, the boys have been superb in understanding and applying themselves daily and they've been first class. We'll do the same for Man City. So long as the players have the same focus and determination like they did this week and the following week then I know as a team we'll be in a batter place.

There were some big positives, am I gutted? Of course, but there was some big positives.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-transcript-every-word-15988608

WhiteJC

A TRUE RED Fulham 1-2 Liverpool: Ryan Babel scores equaliser for Premier League strugglers... but refuses to celebrate against his former club

The Dutchman spent four seasons at Anfield before leaving in 2011

Ryan Babel scored an equalising goal against Liverpool – but refused to celebrate the strike against his former side.

Babel, who joined Fulham in the January transfer window from Turkish club Besitkas, capitalised on an uncharacteristic error in defence from Virgil van Dijk.

Rather than revel in the moment and enjoy the goal with team-mates and fans, Babel appeared subdued as he collected the ball, before raising his hands in apologetic fashion in what has become the norm for footballers to do when they net against an old club.

The Dutchman's 74th minute leveller mattered little at the end, as James Milner stepped up to convert the winning penalty with just nine minutes remaining.

Babel had spent four seasons at Anfield from 2007-2011, before departing for 1899 Hoffenheim.

During his time with Liverpool, he made 146 appearances and scored 22 times.

https://talksport.com/football/512935/fulham-liverpool-ryan-babel-no-celebration/

WhiteJC

Opinion: This Fulham star needs to ensure he moves away from Craven Cottage this summer

Fulham's season back in the Premier League has been a disappointing one to say the least, and the Cottagers are firm favourites to come back down to the Championship.

Changes in manager and inconsistent squad selection has done nothing to help the Londoners throughout the campaign, and interim boss Scott Parker knows there is a lot of rebuilding to do come the summer to ensure the club picks itself back up.

And we here in the Tavern think a summer clearout could be on the way, and we feel that winger Ryan Sessegnon is one man who needs to ensure he gets away from Craven Cottage this time around.

The youngster was touted with a move away from Fulham for much of the last summer, and this time around he will no doubt be keen to secure a move to a top club, with his potential still there despite not having the most impressive campaign in the top flight.

Sessegnon is a flying left sided player who can bring plenty to a whole host of clubs in the Premier League, and there's bound to be plenty of interest in him if he is made available.

His finishing is excellent, and his versatility make him an ideal buy for some of the top clubs in the upper tier.

Quick, with bags of potential too, Sessegnon would be silly to stay in the Championship and should be doing all he can to ensure he gets his move to the Premier League this summer.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/opinion-this-fulham-star-needs-to-ensure-he-moves-away-from-craven-cottage-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Fulham 1, Liverpool 2
We At Least Know How A Scott Parker Game Looks

Again, Fulham gave it another go. And again, it wasn't good enough.

In some ways, it was unpredictable in that Fulham, of all teams, were level with Liverpool. Otherwise, it was predictable that the best defense in the Premier League limited Fulham to nothing except one of the bigger calamities you'll see all season. It was also predictable that Liverpool would basically run Fulham out of the building with their athleticism. If it wasn't for a midfield that isn't at their best and a front three that isn't converting their usual rate of chances, this game would have been put to bed tens of minutes earlier. Instead, and predictably, Sergio Rico had to do Sergio Rico things to cost Fulham the victory. Because predictably, Fulham just don't have a clue how to hold on to leads or draws after being behind early.

But before the game got started, Scott Parker put out quite an interesting starting XI. He had Calum Chambers return to his more familiar center back role and gave Timothy Fosu-Mensah a tenth chance to prove his worth at right back. He also put out the three most expensive midfield in the club with Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa playing at the number six role even though he's a number eight. And Jean Michael Seri playing at number eight next to Tom Cairney even though he's a number 10. Every Fulham supporter has known this issue for months. It's too bad Tony Kahn didn't.

However, Fulham started the first ten minutes of the game quite well. It only resulted in a long range curler from Seri, but 54.9% possession against one of the best attacking teams in Europe isn't all that bad. Then both teams reverted to type and didn't look back. Surely enough, Liverpool generated so much pressure down the left-hand channel that it resulted in the first goal of the game. After Andrew Robertson gave it a go a few times, it was Sadio Mané's turn to see if he can do some damage from there in the 25th minute. The result was springing Roberto Firminho to beat the offside trap and pass it back to Sadio Mané less then 10 yards away from goal to make it 1-0. It was too easy of a passage of play as, once again, no Fulham defender bothered to disrupt the dribbler and just allowed him to walk into the penalty area.

From there, Liverpool kept generating chances, but none of them were coming off with the best of quality. But once halftime past, with no changes made by Fulham (shocking, I know!), Trent Alexander-Arnold started whipping in crosses like we knew he could. A corner by Andrew Robertson was perfect for Mané to head it home, but it was only good enough to put it on the top of the crossbar. Another set piece play saw Virgil Van Dijk almost score only for Sergio Rico to make an acrobatic save.

But there were some positives out of Fulham's defense for a change. Sergio Rico did stop a good chunk of chances by Liverpool. Along with that, none of Mo Salah's chances were of such quality that they were able to help the visitors increase their winning margin. Tim Ream and Joe Bryan had high character games to keep Liverpool's front three in check for the extreme majority of the contest. Even Fosu-Mensah wasn't too bad either.

So when Ryan Sessegnon came on for Seri, Fulham moved from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 and it asked Liverpool questions. What came of it was a subtle barrage from Fulham where they were able to counter Liverpool's counter-attack and be able to springboard their forwards in the process. Among those waves included a Floyd Ayite goal that was waved off for being among the four Fulham forwards for being offside (can this season's squad ever figure out that rule?!). Along with that, Anguissa gave it a go from long range that was able to sting the hands of Alisson. Lastly, the mistake to end all mistakes happened as Van Dijk couldn't put enough touch to a header back towards his goalkeeper. As a result, Ryan Babel bit the hand that used to feed him and put it past Alisson to tie up the contest out of nowhere.

For a moment, it was as if the Steven Gerrard slip happened all over again for Liverpool. I mean, Virgil Van Dijk and Alisson are the best in the world at their respective positions and are so well known for being so tidy with the ball. For them to mess up like this at this point in the title race had to have been so devastating.

Now note that I said "for a moment" previously. That is because with less then ten minutes to go, Sergio Rico decided to one-up Alisson in doing something even dumber. In one of Mo Salah's five not-so-great shots, one of them hit the hands of Rico, but instead of catching it, the Spaniard dropped it towards a streaking Mané in hopes to get his second goal of the contest. What happened was Rico holding onto Mané for too long and referee Craig Pawson had no choice but to award a penalty. Up stepped replacement James Milner and the veteran restored order and gave Liverpool the eventual win. I would like to say other things happened, but Liverpool did what they needed to do in ball retention as the did for most of the match to put a bow on this fixture.

Again, Fulham gave it a go. Again, it just wasn't good enough at all.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/3/18/18269876/fulham-1-liverpool-2

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney says Fulham 'unlikely' to stay in Premier League after Liverpool loss

Fulham's defeat to Liverpool means Premier League survival is 'unlikely', according to midfielder Tom Cairney.

The Cottagers 2-1 loss at Craven Cottage was their seventh consecutive defeat which leaves the side 13 points from safety with just seven games to play.

The woeful run of results saw Claudio Ranieri sacked earlier in the month with Scott Parker taking temporary charge until the end of the season.

And although Cairney admits the atmosphere around the club is much improved under the caretaker manager, it's now a case of rebuilding the club for next season.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, Tom Cairney said: "There's definitely a better atmosphere and vibe around the training ground and among the fans.

"But it's looking unlikely we are going to stay up, the point difference is massive and we're running out of games.

"It's not the season we dreamed of and I think it's about a bigger picture now of rebuilding the club.

"We lost a little bit of what we had last season and for a number of reasons it didn't go right."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11669042/tom-cairney-says-fulham-unlikely-to-stay-in-premier-league-after-liverpool-loss

WhiteJC

Bad for Fulham: Man City's quadruple injury boost

Fulham vs Man City

When the Premier League restarts at the end of the month, Fulham return to action against Man City.

Fulham appear dead-certs for the drop to the Championship.

The Cottagers are second bottom of the division on just 17 points from 31 matches.

On Sunday Fulham were beaten 2-1 at home by Liverpool.

That result lifted Liverpool above Man City into first place in the league. City are two points behind the Reds, but the Sky Blues have a gave in hand.

Man City's quadruple injury boost

By the time the Fulham game comes around in under two weeks, Man City should be boosted on the injury front.

As reported in the Times on Monday, the Sky Blues hope to have four key players back for the Fulham match:

By the time the players return, Guardiola's attempts to add the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup to the Carabao Cup they won last month will be aided by the return of Kevin De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Benjamin Mendy and John Stones, who are injured at present.

The quartet are on course to be fit for City's first match after the international break, away to Fulham a week on Saturday.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/bad-for-fulham-manchester-citys-quadruple-injury-boost/