watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham and the Offside rules.

Started by The Swan, March 18, 2019, 10:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I don't think our team understand the offside rules.

Mitro gets caught offside ( as he did a couple of time on Sunday) when he should know better.

Has anyone explained to him that there must be  two defender between him and the goal when the ball is played forward.

When we had the goal disallowed on Sunday there were four Fulham players offside.

As for our defenders they seem to run towards our goal with opposition instead of letting them run offside.

I know that the offside rule has changed in the past few years but I am sure that our coaches should be able to get our defenders and attackers to understand the offside rules.
The Swan

Andy S

You are speaking as somebody who has never played football. The speed that everything  happened was so fast players didn't have time to react. It is a fine line.

Nero

But your forgetting there a different offside rule for the top six and the rest of the teams

WindyCity

Oh, they know the rules.  It's laziness.

Lack of hustle to get back on sides when a quick or unexpected turnover occurs.  It's all about laziness.

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on March 19, 2019, 03:02:50 PM

Lack of hustle to get back on sides when a quick or unexpected turnover occurs.  It's all about laziness.

I believe the term "laziness" is extremely overused by many posters. I believe it is very rarely that players at this level are actually lazy. It is in my opinion much more likely to be down to a lack of concentration, or a case of not being used to the situation or not reading the situation well enough. Mitro immediately understood that there could be another chance and he also tried to get onside. I don't believe the other players were lazy, but they didn't read the situation as well as they should have. 

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 19, 2019, 03:26:46 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on March 19, 2019, 03:02:50 PM

I believe the term "laziness" is extremely overused by many posters. I believe it is very rarely that players at this level are actually lazy. It is in my opinion much more likely to be down to a lack of concentration, or a case of not being used to the situation or not reading the situation well enough. Mitro immediately understood that there could be another chance and he also tried to get onside. I don't believe the other players were lazy, but they didn't read the situation as well as they should have.

With all due respect, I have seen any number of instances this season where players, including Mitro, have been slow (lazy) to get themselves back on side when a sudden turnover occurs and a scoring chance presents itself.  I know at times it might be difficult to be enthusiastic and energetic to hustle back when you're almost always fighting from behind and getting your backside whipped, but I still expect to see more hustle and determination.  Players can have and go into slumps, but one thing that should never slump is hustle.  (I might also consider lack of concentration a result of laziness?). It is also one thing we see all the time from the top clubs.  Not only are they usually much more talented just from the physical and capability standpoint, but they are also always giving 100% on the pitch, in both directions.  They don't take their given talent for granted, and know that success also comes from busting it all the time.

The Swan

Andy S.
             As a matter of fact I did play football in the Fulham and Hammersmith Sunday sportsman League from 1963 until 1973 for a youth club team.

I then played in the North Bucks league from 1973 until 1985.

Ok the standard was not as good as the Premier League but I was a good solid centre half. I knew the offside rule and caught many a forward running through on goal because he ran too soon. I acted as a sweeper which worked very well in the Sunday leagues.

Another thing I could head the ball ,could tackle , and could pass to a team mate. What more do you need.
The Swan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Andy S on March 18, 2019, 10:45:36 PM
You are speaking as somebody who has never played football. The speed that everything  happened was so fast players didn't have time to react. It is a fine line.

Yes, it very fast and when it comes to winning a challenge Mitrovoic's reactions are lighting fast. But, when it comes to getting onside Mitrovoic's reaction time seems to be more Sunday League than Premier League.

elgreenio

Quote from: The Swan on March 21, 2019, 01:00:51 PM

who for out of interest?

On Mitro, it's hardly like he has the pace to give himself an extra yard is it
touch my camera through the fence

St Eve

Andy S.
             As a matter of fact I did play football in the Fulham and Hammersmith Sunday sportsman League from 1963 until 1973 for a youth club team.

Ok the standard was not as good as the Premier League but I was a good solid centre half. I knew the offside rule and caught many a forward running through on goal because he ran too soon. I acted as a sweeper which worked very well in the Sunday leagues.

Another thing I could head the ball ,could tackle , and could pass to a team mate. What more do you need.
Impressive to me. Are you available for the City game?

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Nero on March 19, 2019, 01:45:59 PM
But your forgetting there a different offside rule for the top six and the rest of the teams
0001.jpeg
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

bobbo

Andy S.

get yer boots on Saturday week mate
1975 just leaving home full of hope