watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Favourite Fulham book

Started by bog, March 19, 2019, 10:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

As an aside for all the current heartache what is your favourite Fulham book? I have about 30, but my much preferred one is The Compete Record 1879-1987 by Dennis Turner and Alex white. This is now 32 years out of date but it was the one that introduced me to all the history, pre-war players. (I don't get out much) How may hours I have poured over the haunting black and white (appropriate) pen pictures and words about players long gone.* And I still do. It is the book I always go to to check on something between those dates. I have only found one misprint. 1960-61 the wonderful home defeat of 1-6 by Sheff Weds (I was there Mullers og 10 seconds) is shown as v Sheff United. If I was ever on Desert Island Discs that book would be close to being my one want.

*One of the saddest is that of Jimmy Tompkins.

Thank you and good night     049:gif

092.gif   

SG

They did bring out an updated edition taking the record up to 1998 but sadly nothing since. My favourite is Ken's 'Fulham's Golden Years'. Always worth a delve into. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia

Penfold

Quote from: SG on March 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM
They did bring out an updated edition taking the record up to 1998 but sadly nothing since. My favourite is Ken's 'Fulham's Golden Years'. Always worth a delve into. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia

They have another one up to end of 2006/07. However, it doesn't include stuff like Autoglass Trophy. Quite a few caption errors as well.

A revised one would be a good idea.

Jamie88

'Fulham FC: The Early Years (1879-1907)' by Alex White

It's the only Fulham book that I know of that has as much detail in it regarding the formative years, and also comprehensive detail of the earliest players.

toshes mate

There is an update of The Complete Record to 2006/2007* published by Breedon Books (which has bog's as above correction included) who appear to be no longer trading.  Seems it may be sometime before we have a later version of the same what with internet records etc., unless FFC and a fanatical fan base could organise something similar.

*available online (search Dennis Turner, The Complete Record of FFC to 2006/7) in paperback from £25.00 or hard cover from £37.54, although you can sometimes pick a cheaper copy up second hand on well known sites like Gumtree, ebay etc.

kiwian

Cottage Chronicles-I have had it fro 25 years, reread it every 2 years or so and never get bored. I love the format, and reading of the continuous struggles on and off the pitch. Would love an update as it predates MAF.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

cookieg

I have always tried to buy every book that has come out since I first bought "The Golden Years". Many years later I discovered a picture of myself in The Golden Years and was fortunate enough to get a colour copy from Ken Coton.

I have to say though I don't think I have actually read any of them, the occasional dip in dip out but never read cover to cover. Maybe when I retire I will have time to work my way through them.