more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fan Survey - Home Advantage

Started by shortyboy2112, March 20, 2019, 01:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortyboy2112

Hi everyone,

My name's Tom and I'm currently studying a masters degree in Sports Psychology in Newcastle with the hope in becoming an applied Sports Psychologist in a football setting.

For my thesis I am looking into the home advantage in football and how fans view themselves.

I was hoping that I could post my questionnaire link here to get as many answers as possible? Please feel free to share far and wide as the more answers I get the better results I get and I have the hope of being published!

https://northumbria.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/football-fan-survey

It shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes to do and all the information is in the link before you have to answer any questions.

Thank you!

Tom Short

N_O_W_S

Taken Tom. Be sure to post a follow up down the line.

The Rational Fan

No conversation about home ground advantage is complete without discussing the Nigerian Premier League.

In 2013 Nigerian Premier League, a) Shooting Stars home ground record was 13 wins, 5 draws and 1 loss (they came last in the NPL), ii) Kalo Pillars away records was 2 wins, 2 draws and 15 loss (they came first in the NPL), iii) half the teams were undefeated at home.

None of the 20 teams had a negative goal difference at home or a positive goal differences away from home. In fact, the second last place team scored more than four goals at home for every goal they conceeded at home, but while on the road conceeded three goals for every goal they scored.

ScalleysDad

Done. One thing that would be useful is a box for a general comment at the end especially as some answers could be stadium/fan base specific. At The Cottage you are as likely to hear a suggestion questioning the officials grasp of Law 12 as much as his recent heritage. For many people I know home attendance these days is directly affected by changes to dates and times and not just transport availability and cost.

Good luck with the project.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 20, 2019, 02:01:26 PM
No conversation about home ground advantage is complete without discussing the Nigerian Premier League.

In 2013 Nigerian Premier League, a) Shooting Stars home ground record was 13 wins, 5 draws and 1 loss (they came last in the NPL), ii) Kalo Pillars away records was 2 wins, 2 draws and 15 loss (they came first in the NPL), iii) half the teams were undefeated at home.

None of the 20 teams had a negative goal difference at home or a positive goal differences away from home. In fact, the second last place team scored more than four goals at home for every goal they conceeded at home, but while on the road conceeded three goals for every goal they scored.

I think a degree of that was down to biased refereeeing, violent crowds, tough travelling conditions and political strife. But yea, a bizarre year
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/29/nigeria-toughest-league-win-away

MarryatsChild

Good luck with your study Tom.

Very interesting subject matter.

shortyboy2112

Thank you for all the responses so far! In future I will make sure to add a free option box (it was deemed unnecessary by my tutor when creating it) but it's interesting to hear everyone's opinions.

Also, I hadn't seen that about the Nigerian League before, very bizarre year!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Newry FFC on March 20, 2019, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 20, 2019, 02:01:26 PM

I think a degree of that was down to biased refereeeing, violent crowds, tough travelling conditions and political strife. But yea, a bizarre year
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/29/nigeria-toughest-league-win-away

A home ground advantage due to biased refereeing, i haven't seen that at the cottage but go to Anfield then maybe. All i can say is compared to other countries, the Premier League Referees make much less mistakes but the few mistakes that are made never seem to be in Fulhams favour unless it's another small team at our home. I have difficultly remembering the last mistake made in our favour, maybe i'm biased but we have a normal number of mistake against us and none for us.

Woolly Mammoth

If Fulham were serious about turning the Cottage into a Fortress to give us proper home advantage. To start with, the first thing we have to do is scrap the neutral end, as it's turned into a holiday camp for away fans.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 21, 2019, 04:56:12 AM
If Fulham were serious about turning the Cottage into a Fortress to give us proper home advantage. To start with, the first thing we have to do is scrap the neutral end, as it's turned into a holiday camp for away fans.

I'll let you in on a secret there are no neutral fans at football game, its nothing more than a mixed supporter stand (i.e. whoever pays most).

ScalleysDad

The add on comments were why I thought an additional question or box might be useful. As has been said we are rarely a tinderbox pressuring the officials and the Putney End when full more often than not favours the opposition.

shortyboy2112

Thanks for all the responses people, the support has been amazing.

The feedback is much appreciated as well. As for the mixed stand, it's interesting to hear about that. Is there many more stands like that around?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: shortyboy2112 on March 21, 2019, 12:11:55 PM

The feedback is much appreciated as well. As for the mixed stand, it's interesting to hear about that. Is there many more stands like that around?

No not on this side of the Equator.

Although there was Custer's Last Stand at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, June 25th 1876. That turned out to be a home win for Chief Sitting Bull, and his colleagues and associates.

Quite frankly, we are not going to stand for it, and furthermore, we are not going to take it sitting down either.

Never forget your Roots.

shortyboy2112

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 21, 2019, 12:36:19 PM
Quote from: shortyboy2112 on March 21, 2019, 12:11:55 PM

No not on this side of the Equator.

Although there was Custer's Last Stand at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, June 25th 1876. That turned out to be a home win for Chief Sitting Bull, and his colleagues and associates.

Quite frankly, we are not going to stand for it, and furthermore, we are not going to take it sitting down either.

Made my day haha

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 21, 2019, 06:08:15 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 21, 2019, 04:56:12 AM

I'll let you in on a secret there are no neutral fans at football game, its nothing more than a mixed supporter stand (i.e. whoever pays most).

That's no secret, secrets are what we tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Never forget your Roots.

shortyboy2112

Hi again all

Just want to say thanks again for all the support. Into the final few days of data collecting so one last push for people to complete it.

Got some good data and couldn't have done it without you.

Tom

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: ScalleysDad on March 20, 2019, 02:18:18 PM
Done. One thing that would be useful is a box for a general comment at the end especially as some answers could be stadium/fan base specific. At The Cottage you are as likely to hear a suggestion questioning the officials grasp of Law 12 as much as his recent heritage. For many people I know home attendance these days is directly affected by changes to dates and times and not just transport availability and cost.

Good luck with the project.

I agree, I live abroad and can't get to any games, but I hardly miss any games live on TV or via GJ
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Burt

Done - thanks for sharing Tom, and don't forget to come back some day and share the results!