watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cairney, flop of the season?

Started by Facts Not Fiction, March 30, 2019, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

He looked inept yesterday. Could not even be bothered to hold the mascot's hand when the two teams were led out.

092.gif

bill taylors apprentice

I can accept a player being a bit powder puff in the tackle (even a bloke of his size) but his pathetic effort to work for the team (with and without the ball) throughout the majority of his time on the pitch has been very disappointing.

Keep him for the Championship but don't make the same mistake of keeping him as first choice if we return to the PL any time soon.

Artful Dodger

It's tough to single individuals out this season as they have all been poor. We seem to have lost all confidence, shape and ability to pass to each other and when your main asset is trying to retain the ball but there's no-one wanting it, it's difficult. For me, I have been most disappointed with Sess - I really wanted him to prove me wrong but I was worried he would be found out and this last 2 months his confidence seems shot. Hopefully he will stay with us and have another shot at the premier league in 18 months time a wiser and better player.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

The Old Count

It's like Lord of the Flies on here.  Who's piggy this week?

Skatzoffc

Personally I thought Sess's confidence was at an all time low after Ranieri's destruction of him by non picking for starting 11 and bringing on to lost games with 10 mins to go.

Imo Parker has restored his confidence well and it showed in the Citeh game. He was trying hard, making good runs, tracking back and visibly upset when things didn't go his way.

So well done to Parker for that confidence rebuilding. I thought Sess one of the only players trying hard today, so don't agree with him being lumped in with TC who can bail to wet spam for all care if that performance is what we have to look forward to.
Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

The Rational Fan

Quote from: f bloke on March 31, 2019, 09:05:52 AM
All of of our good performances this season had Cairney playing well in a central role. We know he has his weaknesses but Glenn Hoddle did too. I am not saying that TC is the same level as Hoddle but last season he was as important to our success as Hoddle was to Spurs back then. If you played Hoddle you had to pick players around him who would compensate for his shortcomings, workers like Perryman/Pratt.

Key to our success last year was our midfield three. They complemented each other very nicely, it really was a sum of the parts situation. It was said above that KMac and Johansen failed to step up, but how many on pitch minutes did those three have playing together, I suspect less than 100. It is a moot question since we will never know the answer, but would they (as a collective three) really have done any worse than other variations tried this season? My gut feel is that we would be having a conversation at this stage of the season as to whether they would be good enough to take us to the next level but we would not be in a position where relegation would be likely confirmed in the first week of April

TC has his weaknesses but he has been key to our better performances and we have far bigger structural weaknesses than him

I would point out that Glenn Hoddle's defensive weaknesses are grossly exagerated. It maybe worth remembering that he finished his career in his last two premier league seasons as a centre back for Chelsea. I reckon Tom Cairney would struggle to play centre back even in League One.

bobbo

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on March 30, 2019, 11:27:03 PM
Shearer summed it up tonight, No tracking back and no effort off the ball. He went from 1 yard away from his man to 17 yards in about 3 passes.
Crazy times. 
been my thoughts all season , you could see it happening week in week out . I can't believe other clubs playerare fitter , they just have mor desire.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Luka

If TC had come into the club in the summer he would be getting absolutely slaughtered on this site fo being a waste of money. Only because he was from last seasons squad has he been given some slack.
OK so the quality in the PL is so much better than the championship, but based on last seasons standards alone then he has had a very, very poor season.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Nero on March 30, 2019, 11:25:32 PM
made me laugh today for Man City 1st goal TFM was total to blame, at Chelsea it was all Seri thought for Odois poor pass. Strange how some player seem to be uncriticisable

What does that mean ?

@jolslover

Quote from: Luka on March 31, 2019, 04:53:01 PM
If TC had come into the club in the summer he would be getting absolutely slaughtered on this site fo being a waste of money. Only because he was from last seasons squad has he been given some slack.
OK so the quality in the PL is so much better than the championship, but based on last seasons standards alone then he has had a very, very poor season.

Correct. Same with Sessegnon aswell.
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

A lot of the players that were brought in by the keystone recruitment dudes in the Summer have dragged the likes of Cairney and Sess down to their level.
Surely all three of our managers cannot be wrong, yet we have had the same useless recruitment dudes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

What did Cairney do wrong yesterday?

We all know he doesn't tackle. He didn't tackle in the Championship either. Why is this even a discussion? We know what type of player he is. Doesn't make him a flop if we already know what to expect from his defensive capabilities.

I think judging any player throughout 3 managers is tough as it is. It's entirely skewed because of what the manager requires of the player. For practically 12 matches, Cairney was played out of position under Ranieri for example.

Statto

Quote from: Matt10 on March 31, 2019, 08:37:57 PM
What did Cairney do wrong yesterday?

We all know he doesn't tackle. He didn't tackle in the Championship either. Why is this even a discussion? We know what type of player he is. Doesn't make him a flop if we already know what to expect from his defensive capabilities.

I think judging any player throughout 3 managers is tough as it is. It's entirely skewed because of what the manager requires of the player. For practically 12 matches, Cairney was played out of position under Ranieri for example.
0001.jpeg

Woolly Mammoth

A lot of this issue is down to the way this club is being run, the culture of the club has changed for the worst, and clearly it is being reflected on the pitch and off it.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

By adding Chambers to the back four yesterday we were missing Cairny's minder in midfield and Cairny was simply lost and our midfield was overrun.

Cairny has had a bad season, I think he will leave in the summer but I suspect there will not be too many clubs willing to pay 20million or so for him.

simplyfulham

Quote from: filham on March 31, 2019, 09:07:51 PM
By adding Chambers to the back four yesterday we were missing Cairny's minder in midfield and Cairny was simply lost and our midfield was overrun.

Cairny has had a bad season, I think he will leave in the summer but I suspect there will not be too many clubs willing to pay 20million or so for him.

Or was it just that we had two midfielders against City's 5 in midfield maybe?

The Rational Fan

I wonder if people realise that Fulham has the 3rd to 4th cheapest squads in the premier league (player inflation adjusted). Only Huddersfield and Cardiff has clearly spent a less than us. It's debatable whether Brighton have spent more or less. Burnley have spent about the same, but their team is too old if they get relegated and need a refresh at the same time. While Watford has spent about the same in transfers, its wages bill is much higher. And, Wolves have spent the same on players but given millions and millions more to agents and scouts too.

Financially, Huddersfield plus two of Fulham, Cardiff, Brighton and Burnley should go down. Our away record gave these four teams lost us 11 points and gave most of them 3 points extra; plus they all have better organised defenses and long ball play against top 10 teams.

Our goal needs to focus on automatic promotion and then coming 17th in premier league etc etc. We don't have the money under FFP rules to achieve much more than that quickly. In the end, our real advantage over other clubs is youth spending, training facilities and if we get established in premier league we can refresh our squad one or two players more per year.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 01, 2019, 12:44:17 AM
I wonder if people realise that Fulham has the 3rd to 4th cheapest squads in the premier league (player inflation adjusted). Only Huddersfield and Cardiff has clearly spent a less than us. It's debatable whether Brighton have spent more or less. Burnley have spent about the same, but their team is too old if they get relegated and need a refresh at the same time. While Watford has spent about the same in transfers, its wages bill is much higher. And, Wolves have spent the same on players but given millions and millions more to agents and scouts too.

Financially, Huddersfield plus two of Fulham, Cardiff, Brighton and Burnley should go down. Our away record gave these four teams lost us 11 points and gave most of them 3 points extra; plus they all have better organised defenses and long ball play against top 10 teams.

Our goal needs to focus on automatic promotion and then coming 17th in premier league etc etc. We don't have the money under FFP rules to achieve much more than that quickly. In the end, our real advantage over other clubs is youth spending, training facilities and if we get established in premier league we can refresh our squad one or two players more per year.

I cannot see where you get this idea we are going to achieve automatic promotion next season, have you forgotten who is running the show, or should I say circus.
They will have to remove the current culture which is toxic and self defeating, a complete own goal, and that's just for starters.

Never forget your Roots.

Riverside

TC for me

- Premier League Class in a team with 3 in the midfield playing possession and 2 workers around him ( as Macdonald and Johanson did last season )
- League 1 class as Right Wing ( note Mr Ranieri - though it took Joka a looooooog time to work that out as well  )
- Lower championship is a 2 man midfield ( note Mr Parker )

So could be good at West Ham , would struggle at Newcastle

MikeW

What did Cairney do wrong on Saturday you ask?  Well what did he do right?

A comic moment was in front of the JH stand when he went around three times with the ball on his left foot because the City defender only gave him the option to use his right.  Straight in the crowd.  His body language is dreadful: can't / won't track back; can't / won't tackle; cant use his right foot.  Should have off loaded him before he got sussed.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."