watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Something to ponder

Started by Beamer, April 05, 2019, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

It could almost be described as a moral dilemma, you have been bought by your newly promoted club at the beginning of a season for a substantial amount of money on a good salary. They have done this knowing that you will not be fit for the start of the season following an operation but are prepared to wait for you to recover.
You are just beginning to get back to full match fitness and sharpness when you suffer a freak injury which effectively rules you out for the rest of the season (at least until it is as good as over), so end up playing barely any games for them.
They get relegated which means you will take a reduction in your wages if you stay.
Assuming they still want you, do you feel a moral obligation to stay and try to help them get back up given the circumstances
or, do you feel no obligation and simply look to move on as fast as possible to hopefully further your career ambitions and earn better money,
or, do you say I'll give it a year as I am still under contract (not that it means much in football) and see where we stand then.
There is no definitive wrong or right answer, just what would you do, honestly.

HV71

He always comes across as a level headed , decent bloke. My feeling would be that I would want to stay if I were him as we showed faith in him. The only caveat would be that I would want to believe that I was in the new manager's plans before I made the decision

WindyCity

Quote from: Beamer on April 05, 2019, 08:43:36 AM
It could almost be described as a moral dilemma, you have been bought by your newly promoted club at the beginning of a season for a substantial amount of money on a good salary. They have done this knowing that you will not be fit for the start of the season following an operation but are prepared to wait for you to recover.
You are just beginning to get back to full match fitness and sharpness when you suffer a freak injury which effectively rules you out for the rest of the season (at least until it is as good as over), so end up playing barely any games for them.
They get relegated which means you will take a reduction in your wages if you stay.
Assuming they still want you, do you feel a moral obligation to stay and try to help them get back up given the circumstances
or, do you feel no obligation and simply look to move on as fast as possible to hopefully further your career ambitions and earn better money,
or, do you say I'll give it a year as I am still under contract (not that it means much in football) and see where we stand then.
There is no definitive wrong or right answer, just what would you do, honestly.

If you're a professional athlete, you do what is best for you and your family financially.  I don't think "moral issue" has anything to do with it.  In most cases, follow the money.  Not many athletes are gonna take a pay cut just to be loyal under the above described scenario.

Statto

Yes he definitely has a moral obligation IMO.

It's all very well saying "follow the money" etc. Yes we can all do that, if we choose to live our lives like John Terry. Why bother showing any loyalty to your employer? Or your wife for that matter? Why bother helping a friend in need from time to time? Why not steal from people if you're likely to get away with it? Why bother recycling? Where does it end?

In any case, I don't think this "moral dilemma" will materialise. I can't see there being any interest from other PL clubs or anyone willing to pay him more money.

filham

Lets be clear about this wage cut, I guess he would still be earning enough to put regular food on the table for his family, in fact well over ten times that of a hard working plumber.

Yes, he  has a moral obligation to stay and pay off some of the sick money he has enjoyed all season.

H4usuallysitting

I'd be surprised if he wasn't in a Fulham shirt next season

Roberty

Given the experience we've had with him this season - will anyone else want to sign him?
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Nero

Wasnt one of the reason he came here as he wanted to be closer to London, so nles West Ham make a bid I cant see him moving unless Brighton move for him.

ALG01

Well assuming we are talking about Alfie.
He came injured, it wasn't a freak as such, it was a follow on.
If the club knew he was injured then he can walk away (if fit enough)
If he was hiding something then he should be hung out to dry.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Unless it was my childhood club, the one I'd played for all my life, and supported, I'd do what's best for me and mine.

Same way I would do it with my current job.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!