https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (25/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 25, 2010, 07:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218314

Fulham - Hughes Post-Match Lament!
In his post match press interview, Mark Hughes emphasised that he thought Fulham hadn`t had the luck they perhaps deserved with regards to offside decisions.

Last week, against Spurs, we were blatantly robbed and yesterday (Saturday) he felt West Brom benefited from the rub of the green, remarking,

"We were disappointed with the two decisions that gave West Brom their goals. We thought on both occasions that their players were in offside positions."

"The officials didn`t get key decisions right and the ambiguity of the offside laws gives the officials an excuse to hide behind poor decisions."

Fair enough, but Mark went on to suggest we needed to be braver and we needed to be more physical when he also added,

"Albion have players who put their heads in where it hurts and we didn`t ask enough questions of them."

And as for that monstrosity of a kit,

"As for our kit, it sometimes takes a while to grow fond of anything. It`s quite a nice shade of green."

Like I say, roll on Wigan next time out!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218314#ixzz13LmqGqQH

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218313

West Brom 2 Fulham 1
Any dreams of finally ending that awful run of away games, in the Premier League, were dashed by a West Brom side who are a credit to Roberto Di Matteo.

Mark Hughes, his former Chelsea room-mate on away days, must be wondering when that elusive away win will be coming. After a decent unbeaten run to the season we`ve now lost back-to-back fixtures and the relegation zone is beckoning us.

But, amongst the doom of a second successive Premier League defeat there was one ray of sunshine with Andrew Johnson making a return from injury and getting thirty odd minutes of action.

Perhaps our fate was sealed when the realisation hit home that we`d be without several key midfielders in the shape of Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu, Damien Duff and Simon Davies.

Resplendent in what must be a serious contender for the worst away kit in our history, all green, Fulham started well and an early Dempsey shot, from long range, crept just wide.

With the home side on the back foot, Fulham did take the lead, thereby enhancing our hopes that we could get three points on the road. The goal was somewhat fortunate though with Zoltan Gera unleashing a great thirty yard shot that Scot Carson tipped onto the post only for the ball to rebound back, hit him square in the back, before rolling into the net - not that we were complaining!

But our hosts were to produce the sort of cultured football you`d expect with Di Matteo in charge and our destroyer in chief was the wide-man Chris Brunt. Just eight minutes after we`d taken the lead he carved out an opportunity for Mulumbu to equalise.

Fulham after having the early initiative were now on the back foot and five minutes before half time we were behind when Brunt was instrumental in setting up another goal.

His ball found Thomas who produced a great pull-back fro Fortune to hammer home his first goal in a year, that`s the sort of thing you`re up against when your chasing that elusive first away win in well over a year.

Despite a lot of huffing and puffing in the second forty-five minutes you just have to hold your hands up and admit that West Brom were worth the three points and simply console yourself with the fact we`ve an ideal chance to get three points, at home, next weekend against Wigan Athletic.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218313#ixzz13Ln7HfYP

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/jamies-report-wba-2-1-fulham/?

Jamie's report: WBA 2-1 Fulham
Filed under: Match reports — rich
Immediate fun at the Hawthorns as the Fulham team emerged from the tunnel in our outrageous (in a good way) new Harrods colours. Aesthetically speaking, I think I like it – especially compared with many away kits, including our other one. I did wonder how it would measure up in the visibility stakes, though. How much more difficult does it become for a footballer to glance up quickly and pick out an accurate pass when the intended recipient is wearing camouflage green?

As it turned out, we managed fine for 20 minutes but then struggled to cause any problems for our confident opposition. Roberto Di Matteo seems to have got West Brom playing in the way Hughes would like from Fulham: energetic, positive and dynamic in midfield, they ran out deserved winners and now lie in 4th place in the Premier League. We are clearly more of a work in progress.

The good stuff: on ten minutes Zoltan Gera received possession 25-yards from goal, took one touch to set himself and drove the ball past Carson and on to the post – then on to Carson's back, then into the goal. Minutes later Diomansy Kamara could have made it two, pouncing on a sloppy pass in West Brom's defence, dallying in trademark fashion, and then squeezing in a low shot which clipped the same post and went wide.

But that was pretty much it. We badly missed the pairing of Murphy and Etuhu to hold everything together in central midfield and soon West Brom were carving us open at will. They equalised when Brunt slipped Mulumbu through to slot into Schwarzer's near post (our goalkeeper might have stood up better, I thought) and then took the lead when Thomas got in behind and squared for Fortune to pass into the net. Both goals had a hint of offside – as pointed out by Hughes after the game – but in truth we were all too vulnerable and there was no feeling of injustice at the half time scoreline.

More disappointing was the second period, when you might have expected us to come out firing and put our opponents under pressure. In fact we looked lethargic and barely mustered a chance of note. West Brom could easily have scored more on the break and Schwarzer made one fantastic fingertip save to deny them. Dembele, Dempsey and Gera – on whose shoulders it lay to do our creative work – were all quiet.

As a footnote, two substitutes had contrasting fortunes: Andy Johnson must have been thrilled to be on the pitch again after such a long absence and was predictably eager, even looking (dare I suggest) fairly pacy. On the other hand, Bjorn Helge Riise blew his big chance, not for the first time in his Fulham career – his 20-minute cameo defined by an exasperating sequence of consecutive corners which he failed to lift past the first defender. Expect to see Johnson given a full 90 minutes at home to Wigan next week, and Riise consigned to another long spell on the sidelines.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/striker-return-boost-1109674.html?

Striker return boost

Fulham boss Mark Hughes will be delighted to welcome back striker Andrew Johnson for the clash with West Brom on Saturday.

The England striker has been absent for nine months and his return is a major bonus for the boss who is struggling to fill his midfield because of injury problems.

Simon Davies (ankle), Danny Murphy (abductor strain), Dickson Etuhu (ankle) and Damien Duff (calf) are all out but David Stockdale is fit and available although he will have to wait for a start.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323417/Chris-Brunt-force-West-Bromwichs-rapid-rise.html?

Chris is the Brunt force behind West Bromwich Albion's rapid rise to the top six

You might be wondering how West Bromwich Albion have suddenly turned into a free-flowing attacking force that have taken the Barclays Premier League by storm, earning a shock top-six spot in the process.

The form of Chris Brunt — and Roberto Di Matteo's 4-2-3-1 system — explains why they are up there.

Brunt was a creative livewire throughout Albion's 2-1 home win over Fulham on Saturday.
l
He was the catalyst for both Albion goals and his range of passing — along with his clever deliveries from set-pieces — seriously unsettled Mark Hughes's side.

Although Fulham might contend that both goals were offside, they were out-foxed each time by the Northern Ireland star's passes.

Brunt plays a pivotal role in the clever formation that Di Matteo has moulded (with the two holding midfielders being Youssouf Mulumbu and Paul Scharner).

The holding pair, while allowing the attack to flourish, give Albion a defensive rigidity that was lacking in their previous Premier League campaigns.

Even last season's star man, Graham Dorrans, cannot get in the side.

Interestingly, Brunt plays on the right of Albion's midfield despite being left-footed and Jerome Thomas plays on the left despite being right-footed.

The West Bromwich boss wants a compact midfield that attacks through central areas.

The fact that Brunt and Thomas are always looking to cut inside suits the way Albion play — crowding the middle areas of the field, rather than spreading the play out wide too often.

The mistake that Fulham made was that they allowed the hosts to do this — and teams who come up against them need to learn from that.

Carlos Salcido is an exciting, talented left back but he was exposed against Brunt because he kept allowing him to cut in.

The way to beat Albion is by stretching their narrow midfield and taking them on down the flanks.

Brunt was the man most deserving of credit as Di Matteo's side fought back from 1-0 down.

For the first goal, he showed clever movement to make space for himself, edging in from the right after being teed up by Gabriel Tamas.

Brunt then slid a diagonal ball to the right-hand edge of the six-yard box, where Mulumbu finished.

He came up with another killer pass to put Albion ahead. His through-ball was expertly threaded between Stephen Kelly and Aaron Hughes for Thomas, who pulled the ball back for Marc-Antoine Fortune. The striker tucked in Albion's second.

Brunt's eye for goal was shown in the 15th minute when he beat Jonathan Greening before Mark Schwarzer stopped his 25-yard effort.

It seems a matter of time before he gets among the goals, though.

Keeping him quiet will be vital for Albion's opponents in coming weeks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323417/Chris-Brunt-force-West-Bromwichs-rapid-rise.html?#ixzz13LoQdTcH

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-did-this-happen.html?

Craven Cottagers
Following the 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons at Craven Cottage - recounted by season ticket holders who aren't actually Fulham fans.

How did this happen?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323514/Fulham-ace-Jonathan-Greening-hails-club-West-Bromwich.html?

Fulham ace Jonathan Greening hails former club West Bromwich and tips Baggies to stay up

Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening believes his former club West Bromwich Albion are finally going to end their yo-yo club reputation - by focusing less on attacking.

Albion were applauded under former manager Tony Mowbray for their focus on pretty football - but Greening has praised new gaffer Roberto Di Matteo for adding steel to the squad.

Greening, a former Albion captain, returned to the Hawthorns on Saturday and his new team Fulham suffered a 2-1 defeat. The result temporarily moved Albion up to fourth place in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday night. They are now sixth.

Former Manchester United midfielder Greening is fondly remembered by Baggies fans after captaining the side to promotion from the Championship - and he is one of a number of former Albion players who are now at Fulham.

That made Saturday's win even sweeter for the Midlands club as the likes of Diomansy Kamara and Zoltan Gera ended up on the losing side.

Greening said: 'It wasn't the result I wanted, coming back here, but I thought West Brom did well - even if both goals were offside! We went ahead and probably should have kept the lead a bit longer but we were a bit sloppy.

'West Brom did well to get a couple of goals back and then it's hard when they have five across the midfield to break them down. They are looking really strong at the moment and doing really well.

'It's good times for them. I'm not surprised at how high they are in the table. The players have always had the ability.

They have got a better team shape than they have ever had. The players are well groomed in training. Everyone knows what they are doing.

'When I was here we probably worked more on attacking stuff. Roberto is the opposite -it's half and half.  I hope they can finally end the yo-yo thing and stay up. They are flying at the moment and have a hell of a chance. We have to be careful ourselves.

'They're not in a false position. Their position in the league is well deserved. I've watched them a few times this season and they look strong.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323514/Fulham-ace-Jonathan-Greening-hails-club-West-Bromwich.html?#ixzz13MiJjkh5

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6467772/Hughes-takes-time-to-praise-Baggies?

Hughes takes time to praise Baggies

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is full of praise for what West Brom have achieved under his old Chelsea team-mate Roberto Di Matteo.

Albion extended their unbeaten run to seven games in all competitions by coming from behind to seal all three points against the Cottagers at the Hawthorns on Saturday.

The visitors went ahead early on when Scott Carson pushed Zoltan Gera's shot on to the post, only for it to bounce back against the goalkeeper and over the line.

But the Baggies were soon level through Youssouf Mulumbu before Marc-Antoine Fortune's strike turned things around in the 40th minute.

Hughes felt there had been players in offside positions for both of West Brom's goals, but was gracious in defeat.

"They are a good side," Hughes said.

"With the calendar of fixtures they had at the beginning of the season, they have played all the so-called top five and taken points from most of them, so credit to them.

"They have had a fantastic start, although I thought we were a match for them for decent periods.

"Goals change games and in the end we didn't ask enough questions of them to overcome them in the last period, when we needed a bit of momentum to try and get back on level terms.

"But a lot of teams will struggle here I am sure."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.loughboroughecho.net/goaltastic/2010/10/mark-hughes-watch-your-back.html?

Mark Hughes, watch your back

THREE months late, Fulham FC have kindly informed me I did not get the manager's job.

After Roy Hodgson left Craven Cottage after hearing Liverpool's streets were paved with gold, the hotseat at Fulham was vacant for some time - so I kindly offered my services...

And although Mark Hughes may be gaffer at present, he should be warned that Fulham are keeping my CV on file, just in case.

A spokesman for the club said: "Thank you for submitting your CV in regard to suitable vacancies at Fulham Football Club.
"Unfortunately we are not recruiting for any vacancies which are suited to your skills and experience at present; however we would like to keep your CV on our files for the next six months so that we may contact you should a suitable vacancy arise in this time.

"I would also like to make you aware that we advertise all of our vacancies on our website; our website address is www.fulhamfc.com and vacancies can be found under the Club tab.

"Thank you for your interest in Fulham Football Club."
Watch out, Sparky.

WhiteJC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8472988.Hughes_hit_out_at_Premier_League_refs/?

Hughes hit out at Premier League refs

Mark Hughes has accused Premier League officials of having it in for his side after the Cottagers crashed to defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The 2-1 loss at the Hawthorns came on the back of a controversial home defeat to Tottenham a week ago.

And after seeing his side slump to 16th in the table, Hughes was in an angry mood.

He said: "It is exceptionally disappointing.

"We were hurt last week by the officials and we feel exactly the same this week.

"Both of West Brom's goals were offside in our opinion and should not have stood.

"It is all a bit hard to take.

"All you want in this game is a level playing field and we really feel we are not getting that at the moment.

"People talk about first phase and second phase but to me that is where the law becomes an ass."

Zoltan Gera gave Fulham an early lead, and the only other bright spot for Fulham was a return to action for Andy Johnson after nine months out injured.

Hughes added: "Having Andy back is a big positive.

"He has worked extremely hard to get back to fitness and he will be a very important player for us moving forward.

"All he needs now is games and we will make sure he gets them."

Fulham's next three games: Oct 30 Wigan (h), Nov 6 Aston Villa (h), 10 Chelsea (a)

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-admits-harrods-shirt-did-not-work-1202701?

Fulham boss Hughes admits Harrods shirt did not work

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admits their Harrods green shirt didn't help in defeat to West Bromwich Albion.

The third strip, worn by Diomansy Kamara and Co, celebrates club supremo Mohammed Fayed's years as Harrods owner and was designed before he sold the luxury department store.

It did not help to improve the Cottagers' awful record on the road - that is now 23 games without a victory.

Boss Mark Hughes said: "We have to give ourselves a better chance to win away from home because it has gone on for too long.

"As for the kit, it sometimes takes a while to grow fond of anything."

Baggies boss Roberto Di Matteo joked: "I know about fashion as I've spent a few quid on clothes at Harrods. I'd describe the strip as 'different'."

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/45751/Hughes_happy_with_Johnsons_return.aspx?

Hughes happy with Johnson's return

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was delighted to have striker Andy Johnson fit and available for selection for the 2-1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion.

The 29-year-old England international had been sidelined since January, but featured as a second-half substitute at The Hawthorns.

Hughes told his club's official website: "Having Andy back is a big positive.

"He has worked extremely hard to get back to fitness and he will be a very important player for us moving forward. All he needs now is games and we will make sure he gets them."

Meanwhile, the Welshman was disappointed by his side's display in the Black Country, with the Cottagers now only outside the relegation zone on goal difference.

Hughes added: "I felt at 1-0 we were good value. We had to make changes in terms of our shape because we had a lot of personnel missing, but we started well.

"West Brom are a good side. They've played all the so-called top five and taken points off them.

"We were a match for them for decent periods, but goals change games and we didn't ask enough questions in the end."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/more-bad-defending/

More bad defending
Filed under: Analysis — rich

We were insanely good at defending under Roy Hodgson.   Now he's gone and the team get more license to attack, but this has caused us problems defensively all season.    I don't know where the balance is, but if the front six players are going to be so forward thinking, don't we need someone in a sort of Sergio Busquets role, sitting in front of the back four and picking up players in that dangerous area between the lines.

Here's why we need this player:

First, look at the red dots in the frame here.    These are WBA players in between the lines, and this is really dangerous.    Roy's teams really worked hard to avoid this situation (although this cost us some attacking fluency; it's a trade-off).

It's forcing our defenders into difficult decisions.  Here, Brede Hangeland, with the orange dot, steps out and opens up a giant hole behind him.    Salcido and Hughes aren't in a position to cover, and WBA score.    The answer?   Someone in front to cover, so Hangeland can stay in the four, or better cover by someone (Salcido – see below).

You can see how it all plays out anyway.... Hangeland's in no-man's land and that's that.   Horrible goal.

Further down you can see the goal from the side.   There are arguably five blue dots attacking four yellow dots, and when one of those defenders steps out (Hangeland) and another's in a slightly iffy position (Salcido), well it's asking for trouble.

All of which might be fine if we were a flowing attacking force, but as the bottom chart shows (shots by either side) our chances were all from poorish positions, while WBA were getting in shots from all angles (and good angles).

The mitigating circumstance is the absence of our best forward and our entire midfield, but at the moment it feels like we are getting all of the disadvantages of playing more open football without gaining any advantages in so doing.    Better for the fans, no doubt, but we're not playing well.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/25/fitness-key-to-kagisho-dikgacoi-s-fulham-future-82029-27539098/?

Fitness key to Kagisho Dikgacoi's Fulham future

KAGISHO Dikgacoi has been told to stay fit if he stands any chance of earning a new deal at Fulham.

The South African international has struggled with injuries since moving to Craven Cottage last year, making just 15 appearances for the Whites.

But a thigh tear has meant he's failed to feature under Mark Hughes.

And the new Fulham boss has told the 25-year-old midfielder, who is out of contract in the summer, he needs to keep out of the treatment room.

Hughes said: "It's been frustrating for KG in all fairness. Soon as I walked through the door he was injured with a thigh muscle tear – and it's taken him a while to get back.

"But he played well midweek (friendly against Southampton), and did well for us. I think it's important from this point on he steers clear of injuries – certainly along with others we'll give him a chance to stake a claim.

"If the opportunities present themselves he'll get his chance"

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/25/fitness-key-to-kagisho-dikgacoi-s-fulham-future-82029-27539098/?#ixzz13Ms6K2KY

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/9124509.stm

Wigan's James McCarthy sidelined by ankle injury

Wigan midfielder James McCarthy is expected to be out of action for up to 10 weeks with the ankle injury he sustained against Bolton on Saturday.

McCarthy, 19, was hurt after a tackle by Trotters midfielder Fabrice Muamba during the 1-1 draw.

"It was an unnecessary challenge, it was not malicious but it was reckless," said Latics manager Roberto Martinez.

"One of the most creative young players in the League is going to be out for up to 10 weeks. That is a football crime."

McCarthy has made 11 appearances for Wigan so far this season but was carried off after 30 minutes against Bolton.

"It is a little bit better than we thought at first but it is obviously ligament damage in the right ankle," added Martinez.

"When it is swollen it is sometimes difficult to assess but there is no fracture, we hope."

The Scot joined the club from Hamilton in July 2009, with the Latics seeing off competition from several English clubs, including Wolves, to sign the player.

"He has been sensational," stated Martinez. "Sometimes it is hard to understand the age of James.

"He plays with a great maturity and understanding and the level of performance has been so consistent for a young man it shows you the quality he has got.

"When he comes back he will be stronger and ready to make a real impact in the rest of the season."

Wigan are also set to be without defender Emmerson Boyce for up to three weeks as the 31-year-old recovers from a pulled hamstring.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218471

Fulham - Midfield Problems!
The trip to play West Bromwich Albion saw Mark Hughes having to field a makeshift midfield.

An argument could be made that his first choice quartet of Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu, Simon Davies and Damien Duff were all sidelined with various injuries, thereby giving the fringe players in our side a chance to show what they can do.

Unfortunately, it proved to be our undoing with Jonathan Greening and Chris Baird not being able to stem the flow of West Brom attacks.

In fact one wag next to me implied that things must have reached the desperate stage as Dikgacoi was on the bench.

With the squad stretched bare a case could be made that the midfield is an area that needs to be bolstered come the opening of the January transfer window.

Therefore, perhaps it`s now time to start putting forward names of suitable contenders.

Towards the end of Roy Hodgson`s reign, it was suggested that Fulham were interested in the young Southampton midfielder, Adam Lallana. Which is interesting because Lallana`s name is now being mentioned as a possible £3 million target for Stoke and Birmingham, could he be a possible January recruit to add a bit of youth to an area that might be described as a bit creaky age wise?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218471#ixzz13O5R2300

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218470

Fulham - That Kit (Again)!
It comes to something when even the opposition manager has something to say about your kit!

Trotting out at the Hawthorns on Saturday, our far from fetching new away kit, dubbed as Harrod`s green, met with universal disapproval.

Having already covered what Mark Hughes thought of it, we thought we`d also let you all know what the opposition boss, Roberto Di Matteo, thought about it.

The Swiss born Italian has always struck me as something of a fashion icon, right back to his playing days when he played with his socks covering his knees, and he quipped,

"I know about fashion as I`ve spent a few quid on clothes at Harrods. I`d describe it as different."

I`d put it on a par with those dodgy jumpers you used to get for Christmas from relatives that hardly knew you!

It`s that bad!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218470#ixzz13O5lVZSm

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218468

Fulham - Cut the Back-Slapping Out!
It`s all very well being remarkably chummy after the affair but a second defeat on the trot, has left us looking a little sorry when it comes to our Premier League position.

Okay, I know that the managers of both sides were once bosom buddies at Chelsea and used to room together when that lot from down the road played away but when the tabloid press contains the following mutual appreciation society comments, from Mark,

"He`s a good lad Robbie, and we had some great times in that Chelsea team."

"We won trophies and I`m pleased he`s doing well as a manager because he`s a good guy, a good character."

"Robbie says I was the untidiest room-mate he ever had, which is possibly true, but then he was the worst tea maker, so there you go."

"At that stage, I don`t think you could say he was definitely going to be a manager because he always had a lot of ideas and a lot of things he wanted to pursue. At one stage he had a restaurant, but this is clearly what he wants to do now and he`s making a cracking job of it."

I feel like screaming front he roof-tops 'sod your chit-chat and back slapping I want to know how you intend halting this slide down the Premier League table we`re currently witnessing` or am I just being unreasonable?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=218468#ixzz13O60dhBd