https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hammersmith Bridge Closed Indefinitely

Started by Southcoastffc, April 11, 2019, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 13, 2019, 10:24:11 AM
Boris wasted money on;
Routemaster buses, that don't work how they should. Scrapping the bendy buses as a result.
Garden bridge.
(Both the above designed by the same company......weird)
Olympic stadium conversation.
Thames estuary airport
Boris bike (initial idea by livingstone admittedly.
The water cannons where bought and looked after by Johnson at a cost of just under £500k. Even though he'd been told he could never use them.

I have attached a small link for your perusal..... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/18/bridge-940m-bill-boris-johnsons-mayora-vanity-projects-garden-bridge-routemaster-bus

And I work for TfL, I know how little money they have.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but several of those (including obviously the garden bridge) are transport projects, ie, TfL projects
So shouldn't your post say 'TfL wasted money on:'

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on April 13, 2019, 10:29:43 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on April 13, 2019, 10:05:38 AM
The rub of the politics is that the cost of maintaining Hammersmith Bridge or entertaining a garden bridge project are roughly equal.  If you cannot have both, which one does a sensible person (no matter what their politics are) choose? 

My last post was a statement of reality, not 'slanted' it all. Your question here on the other hand is 'slanted', because it starts from the assumption that TfL's costs are so constrained they can only afford one of these bridges, not both. For all I (or you) know, they could easily afford both if they operated more efficiently and paid their senior management less.

Even if we assume they did indeed have to choose, well the garden bridge was fundamentally supposed to be a profit-making tourist attraction, so it may have incurred a one-off cost to build but then generated new revenues that would have paid for the maintentance of Hammersmith bridge for years to come. In that case, the garden bridge would of course be the more 'sensible' option.

Again, I'm sure neither of us knows enough to make a proper judgment but clearly you shouldn't just unquestionably swallow what Sadiq Khan and the Guardian tell you.
The key point I made which you did not copy into your response is the cost of maintenance of Hammersmith Bridge was known about in the mid-2000's and a fully budgeted plan was devolved by GLA of which the proposed closure and maintenance schedule this Spring was an essential part.  The question remains as to where the cost of the garden bridge project consultation was supposed to come from and who decided it was a cost effective [sic] proposal.  That is where you may find party politics and personal vanities looming large as life.  It was the cost of the consultation that overran its budget by a considerable amount, leading to its shelving.   It is necessary to look at who made the decisions when they were made and what was their belief about funding for the future and we all know that when one Party has power in London but the other has power in Parliament then things go wrong, horribly wrong.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Statto on April 13, 2019, 10:54:19 AM
Boris wasted money on;
Routemaster buses, that don't work how they should. Scrapping the bendy buses as a result.
Garden bridge.
Thames estuary airport
The water cannons where bought and looked after by Johnson at a cost of just under £500k. Even though he'd been told he could never use them.

I have attached a small link for your perusal..... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/18/bridge-940m-bill-boris-johnsons-mayora-vanity-projects-garden-bridge-routemaster-bus

Maybe I'm missing something here, but several of those (including obviously the garden bridge) are transport projects, ie, TfL projects

So then by that logic, it's not khans fault Hammersmith bridge is closed for repairs, it's TfL's?!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Statto

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 13, 2019, 11:56:06 AM
Boris wasted money on;
Garden bridge.
Thames estuary airport

So then by that logic, it's not khans fault Hammersmith bridge is closed for repairs, it's TfL's?!

To repeat my post from the previous page: To be honest I don't care which of the council, TfL or Khan is responsible, my objection is simply to the bridge being used to score points against the Tory central gov't, austerity etc.

We are going round in circles now so suggest we just draw a line under the issue.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Statto on April 13, 2019, 01:12:30 PM

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 13, 2019, 11:56:06 AM
Boris wasted money on;
Garden bridge.
Thames estuary airport

To repeat my post from the previous page: To be honest I don't care which of the council, TfL or Khan is responsible, my objection is simply to the bridge being used to score points against the Tory central gov't, austerity etc.

We are going round in circles now so suggest we just draw a line under the issue.

Cos it's not like the tories to under fund anything unless they gain financially.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!