watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

On the pitch before the game tomorrow

Started by Ara's bacon crisps, April 12, 2019, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ara's bacon crisps

Apologies if this has appeared on here elsewhere, but for those who are interested, Robert Wilson has tweeted that he will be receiving an award from the club on the pitch before tomorrow's game.

To me, a true Fulham legend for his part in the 82-84 team and the only former player I can think of who actively supports us and is regularly amongst us at away games. A thoroughly nice bloke (despite what Leroy says about him in his book) and surely deserving of a very warm welcome back from all those who can get there a bit early tomorrow.

Also, in a season where they have got a lot wrong, well done to the club for honouring a former player of whom many of us will have fond memories, even if he wasn't quite the same force second time around.

And just to make us all feel properly old, he will apparently have his son and grandson with him.....

The Rational Fan

I liked Robert Wilson what midfield position did he play? We had Sean Odsicoll, Ray Houghton and Ray Lewingtonin that period in midfield, but id love to know who played where?

Ara's bacon crisps

Bit of an enforcer, as I remember it, and there to create a platform for the likes of Ray Houghton to do their thing, but also very skilful on his day despite that and chipped in with useful goals.

Always my favourite kind of player and others who immediately spring to mind in that mould would include John Beck, Peter Scott, Richard Carpenter, Lee Clark and, of course, the legend that is KMac.

Penfold

Was great in his first spell and did well to come back from a horrific accident. Was one of the exodus in 1985. Wasn't as good when he returned but overall, a good player.

bog

After the last game at the Cottage before the revamp I bumped into him and his wife walking along Fulham Palace Road. A genuinely lovely couple who survived a near death experience. In that midfield 4 in the '80's Robert never missed a header. Great player for us.   :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

Mince n Tatties

Jims Dentist

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 12, 2019, 12:58:11 PM
I liked Robert Wilson what midfield position did he play? We had Sean Odsicoll, Ray Houghton and Ray Lewingtonin that period in midfield, but id love to know who played where?
Sean O, Rmf, Ray H Lmf, Lewy and RW Cmf.
In his 1st spell Wilson scored a good few, he seemed to arrive in the box without having been picked up.

filham

The lineup was , as I remember it:-
                                                             Peyton
                                Hopkins      Brown              Gale          Lock

O'Driscol         Wilson           Lewington          Houghton

Ivor    Coney

What a team that came so close to promotion to the top flight. We would have been able to use anyone of those players in this season's team take all eleven and we would not have suffered as we have.

ffcne

Always amongst the fans at away games.
Had a chat with him at that great game at Huddersfield 2 years ago

The Rational Fan

Quote from: filham on April 13, 2019, 11:41:17 AM
The lineup was , as I remember it:-
                                                             Peyton
                                Hopkins      Brown              Gale          Lock

O'Driscol         Wilson           Lewington          Houghton

Ivor    Coney

What a team that came so close to promotion to the top flight. We would have been able to use anyone of those players in this season's team take all eleven and we would not have suffered as we have.

Thanks so much that's what i thought but that meant Fulham's Numbering was

2 5 6 3
4 8 11 10
   7 9

which is very strange. Why was the numbering that way?

If we had Jeff Hopkins and Roger Brown (or even reserve Paul Parker) on the right side of defensive things would be very very good.

SP

Shook his hand as he passed by, lovely fella.  He looks like a bank manager now.

Ara's bacon crisps

Quote from: SP on April 13, 2019, 06:53:22 PM
Shook his hand as he passed by, lovely fella.  He looks like a bank manager now.
0001.jpeg