more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR City 2 v 2 Spurs

Started by St Eve, April 17, 2019, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut

Quote from: FFC73 on April 17, 2019, 10:15:52 PM
Hoping for a Barca Ajax final now as I don't know what's worse, Liverpool or Spurs crowing & 'entitled' supporters...

Reading another forum here and Liverpool fans really are insufferable. They are the best team in Europe over the past two season apparently. Must have imagined them bottling it in the final last year. Incredible game tonight. I'll be shouting for Ajax. Watched them last night and they were superb.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sgt Fulham

What a shame VAR is to football. No longer can you truly celebrate true drama, checking yourself as you pause to see someone consult a screen for a marginal infringement of the rules (this applies to both Llorente's and Sterling's goal). I just watched the true magic of football, and then I watched it reversed. I am a neutral and that ending left me flat.

VAR is going to raise a generation with trust issues.

bobbo

Well I must be the exception , despite man c being the best team tonight and probably world wide I wanted tottenham to win. I'm a Londoner and they are a London club.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fernhurst

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on April 17, 2019, 10:04:46 PM
Quote from: fcfulham55 on April 17, 2019, 10:01:27 PM
Devasted Man City are out.  By far the superior team.

I can't stand Spurs!!!! Hate them, the fans, chairman, the flipping lot

0001.jpeg
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Dodgin

Great game, nearly as good as that one we had against Juventus

Nero

strange isn't it, we have a goal disallowed becuase it's deflected offa defender so the deflection didnt count as a touch and city have one disallowed when a back pass is deflected by an attacker so it was counted, funny game this football

JoelH5

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on April 17, 2019, 10:22:29 PM
What a shame VAR is to football. No longer can you truly celebrate true drama, checking yourself as you pause to see someone consult a screen for a marginal infringement of the rules (this applies to both Llorente's and Sterling's goal). I just watched the true magic of football, and then I watched it reversed. I am a neutral and that ending left me flat.

Couldn't disagree more. The Var decision (which was the correct decision) ensured the correct team won and it provided massive drama. From pure elation to heart break in seconds. Var made that game a classic
I was there, standing in the Putney end

snarks

I have a soft spot for spurs who haven't "bought" their team by spending vast sums like Liverpool and city. Hoping that some of Poch methods rub off on Parker.

toshes mate

Quote from: Burt on April 17, 2019, 10:09:42 PM
Got to say when you have nothing invested in the game (i.e. neutral) then that was about as good as you will see. It had absolutely everything.

What a game.
Agree.
Even the VAR was drama personified. 

ffcthereligion

Exactly this. Ruined the night.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: JoelH5 on April 18, 2019, 01:14:20 AM

Couldn't disagree more. The Var decision (which was the correct decision) ensured the correct team won and it provided massive drama. From pure elation to heart break in seconds. Var made that game a classic

I respect your opinion. VAR certainly does add drama in a way. However to me VAR is like taking modern construction to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Yes it would make it more constructively rigid but it would take away a lot of its inherent beauty in the process. Let me expand.

The rules of football are imperfect and in many ways subjective. Added to the pace of the game they do not lend themselves to tiny margins. That's simply not what they are designed for. For me a correct decision can be the wrong call. Aguero was a tiny fraction offside, through a deflection, so much so that I bet nobody watching it live would suspect. A beautiful and dramatic goal was erased for this miniscule infringement. Does Aguero REALLY get a measurable advantage in that millisecond? Further, Llorente's goal hit his arm (watch the muscle), and so should not have technically stood through VAR, but it did. Both goals were miniscule infringements of the rules and such scrupulous adherence to them not only breaks up play but reminds me of playing monopoly with that one bossy kid.

Can you imagine if Dempsey's goal had been taken to VAR and disallowed for whatever reason? That's how Man City fans (and Sterling who was world class last night) are feeling right now. A whole fanbase is going to be reluctant to celebrate such moments for the foreseeable future. That is not what football is about. It has always been about those incredible spontaneous moments, slight human error and all. VAR has its moments (violent conduct/red card decisions and goal line decisions) but needs to stay away from the rest. It's robotic input takes away from the perfectly imperfect game. I for one fall slightly more out of love with the game every time it raises its head. What a perfect game this was to highlight what it is doing to football

toshes mate

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on April 18, 2019, 08:42:24 AM

I respect your opinion. VAR certainly does add drama in a way. However to me VAR is like taking modern construction to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Yes it would make it more constructively rigid but it would take away a lot of its inherent beauty in the process. Let me expand.

The rules of football are imperfect and in many ways subjective. Added to the pace of the game they do not lend themselves to tiny margins. That's simply not what they are designed for. For me a correct decision can be the wrong call. Aguero was a tiny fraction offside, through a deflection, so much so that I bet nobody watching it live would suspect. A beautiful and dramatic goal was erased for this miniscule infringement. Does Aguero REALLY get a measurable advantage in that millisecond? Further, Llorente's goal hit his arm (watch the muscle), and so should not have technically stood through VAR, but it did. Both goals were miniscule infringements of the rules and such scrupulous adherence to them not only breaks up play but reminds me of playing monopoly with that one bossy kid.

Can you imagine if Dempsey's goal had been taken to VAR and disallowed for whatever reason? That's how Man City fans (and Sterling who was world class last night) are feeling right now. A whole fanbase is going to be reluctant to celebrate such moments for the foreseeable future. That is not what football is about. It has always been about those incredible spontaneous moments, slight human error and all. VAR has its moments (violent conduct/red card decisions and goal line decisions) but needs to stay away from the rest. It's robotic input takes away from the perfectly imperfect game. I for one fall slightly more out of love with the game every time it raises its head. What a perfect game this was to highlight what it is doing to football
It is a very worthy explanation of how something like VAR can mess with a game, and you explain the points very ably. 

However, throughout its history, football officials have been the constant among the inconsistency of everybody involved in a game that is so very simple to follow as human beings do brilliant things and then silly things almost to the beat of a good tune whilst trying to always appear to keep to the right side of the person in charge.   For those who succeed to stay 'clean' officialdom has always seemed polite and obliging.  To those who are deemed to have erred officialdom has always seemed officious, biased, inconsistent or plain incompetent.  A two dimensional replay does nothing to change that except by virtue of the 'delayed drama' that follows the official call at the end.  As you say it is pretty easy to see a ball clearly cross a line but everything else becomes a matter of angles, lens distortions, and two dimensional puzzles for a brain to resolve into three dimensions which is not a gift many brains have.  And so with or without it the fundamental flaw is how interpretations are made and the problem remains as to how you make that fairer in principle and practice.  VAR really doesn't change that except to note that a ball did cross a line.

Sting of the North

Well, I for one would have loved it if we have had VAR against Liverpool away so that Mitro's goal would have stood. Or against West Ham so that Chicarito's blatant cheating would have been caught. Or maybe even against Liverpool at home with the penalty (still, after many replays undecided on that one, so may very well have stood). I also don't think the comparison with Dempsey's goal is fair, since yesterday it was the correct decision, whereas had Dempsey's goal been disallowed it would have been incorrect. You can easily reverse that, and argue that what if the goal would have been called offside from the beginning, even though it wasn't. And they didn't have VAR to correct it. I believe the City fans would feel even worse, since they would have known that they were wronged (like we were against Liverpool for example). Now, even though they are surely devastated they also know that they weren't cheated (on that decision). Whether or not the decision on Llorente's goal was correct or not is irrelevant to the principal discussion in my opinion, since that is not a fault with the system but with the decision making (if it was incorrect, haven't watched any more replays).

Burt

For me, it's quite simple.

VAR reduces the risks of erroneous decisions costing teams points (or being knocked out of a competition).

Why should there be a risk that results are determined by mistakes, when we can now address that?

Think of the burning injustice many still feel about Maradona's "hand of God" goal, or Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany...

Nero

wasnt VAR meant to sort out clear and obvious errors, as such if it takes more the 10 secs to sort it cant be clear and obvious, the ref on the pitch should just be told in his ear the decision made by the VAR ref and not have to review it, but VAR is still down to a group of officials opinions you have 2 or 3 looking at the screen in there box then they call on the bloke on the pitch to look at it as they feel an errors been made, surely if they think its wrong the ref doesnt need to look at it and could respect his fellow professional advice 

b+w geezer

VAR certainly does add drama in a way. However to me VAR is like taking modern construction to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Yes it would make it more constructively rigid but it would take away a lot of its inherent beauty in the process.... etc.
That really is a very special post. Outstanding.

filham

Wow, some game and all credit to Spurs for performing wit a lot of players outinjured.
Looking forward to a Liverpool Spurs final.