watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Exeter hotels

Started by H4usuallysitting, April 17, 2019, 10:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Any recommendations....I won't be driving, so will need to rely on public transport & cabs...many thanks

ScalleysDad

We have the usual suspects with a city centre Premier Inn not far from Central station and the main bus hub. Jury's Inn is just around the corner but I heard it is quite noisy. Opposite St Davids station there is the Great Western Hotel from the Brunel era. It's a bit dated but my Dad likes it there, probably the real ales more than the bed. There are a couple of B&B's in the city centre and the City Gate pub, (Youngs), and The White Harte with its rickety stairs, endless corridors and decent beers although there is a Spoons in a very nice building right opposite.
As with many cities the hotel chains are on the outskirts but that is not so bad as the city is not that big.......yet. Building works all around it will add a third to the population in ten years. There seems to be an endless line of graduation ceremonies these days so prices vary enormously. If I had to choose I'd go Premier Inn, City Centre/Southernhay.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ScalleysDad on April 17, 2019, 10:25:31 AM
We have the usual suspects with a city centre Premier Inn not far from Central station and the main bus hub. Jury's Inn is just around the corner but I heard it is quite noisy. Opposite St Davids station there is the Great Western Hotel from the Brunel era. It's a bit dated but my Dad likes it there, probably the real ales more than the bed. There are a couple of B&B's in the city centre and the City Gate pub, (Youngs), and The White Harte with its rickety stairs, endless corridors and decent beers although there is a Spoons in a very nice building right opposite.
As with many cities the hotel chains are on the outskirts but that is not so bad as the city is not that big.......yet. Building works all around it will add a third to the population in ten years. There seems to be an endless line of graduation ceremonies these days so prices vary enormously. If I had to choose I'd go Premier Inn, City Centre/Southernhay.

Fantastic...many thanks....is that the premier Inn st David's?

DevonFFC

What's your budget? We have plenty of variety. As Scally said you have the premier inn smack opposite St David's, you have the Mecure opposite Central station.

snarks

Quote from: DevonFFC on April 17, 2019, 12:40:10 PM
What's your budget? We have plenty of variety. As Scally said you have the premier inn smack opposite St David's, you have the Mecure opposite Central station.

If the Mercure is the Rougemont, then I've stayed there a couple of times, and that a good hotel and pretty central

Holders

Good beer at the Great Western by St David's. Dunno what it's like to stay there but that'd be my choice. It's not that far to walk into town.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

I'm a poor cab driver.... it's more location - as we'll have no transport with us....like the look of the city gate...but the premier Inn st David's looks good for transport.... I'm assuming there's a taxi rank at the station

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 17, 2019, 03:00:04 PM

I'm a poor cab driver.... it's more location - as we'll have no transport with us....like the look of the city gate...but the premier Inn st David's looks good for transport.... I'm assuming there's a taxi rank at the station

Yes.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Holders on April 17, 2019, 03:41:13 PM

Yes.

Cheers...thanks everyone

DevonFFC

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 17, 2019, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 17, 2019, 03:41:13 PM

Yes.

Cheers...thanks everyone

There is also a premier inn Southernhay which is a little closer to the city centre and bang next door to cost club which is a good place for a beer and food

H4usuallysitting

Cheers.... I picked somebody up at Waterloo that owned/s Harry's.... Is it worth a visit?

murphy

We will be staying in Exeter on the 7th as we are attending the races booked into the Mercure as just fall out of the station and can get a bus to the races. We were informed hotel reasonable place to stay, cost ok but there are cheaper options.

davew

When are we playing Exeter City, have I been in a time warp?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

DevonFFC

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 17, 2019, 08:08:25 PM
Cheers.... I picked somebody up at Waterloo that owned/s Harry's.... Is it worth a visit?

Harry's bar is nice, decent food and nice setting. Little walk from the city centre

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: davew on April 17, 2019, 09:16:19 PM
When are we playing Exeter City, have I been in a time warp?

Many thanks everyone

Haven't you heard - rather than muck about in the championship... we're heading straight for league 2.... Proper footie

bobbo

poor cab driver ?

Just fell off the sofa laughing.

There's no such thing ---- and I know a few .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

Probably too late if you've booked the Premier but I've just noticed that the Great Western Hotel gives 10% discount when you book on line and use promo code GWH.

Just a thought! They boast 9 real ales...