watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Let's not make the same mistake as Man Utd

Started by Riversider, April 17, 2019, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

What ever happens in our next two or three games I really hope that we wait until the summer before making a decision on our next manager, it won't hurt to wait 3 weeks before making an announcement,  , those 3 weeks will give the club an opportunity to make a calm and reasoned decision at a time when the pressure is off,
Can't help but feel that Man U have been far to hasty in giving OGS the job full time, why couldn't that decision have been made in the summer , it's starting to look like a costly mistake.

ALG01

Quote from: Riversider on April 17, 2019, 03:28:30 PM
What ever happens in our next two or three games I really hope that we wait until the summer before making a decision on our next manager, it won't hurt to wait 3 weeks before making an announcement,  , those 3 weeks will give the club an opportunity to make a calm and reasoned decision at a time when the pressure is off,
Can't help but feel that Man U have been far to hasty in giving OGS the job full time, why couldn't that decision have been made in the summer , it's starting to look like a costly mistake.

It is absolutely my opinion as well. I think it was an eror to appoint the man so soon and if it is to be Parker give it a few days just to reflect or see if there is a better candidate.

I am not saying yeah or neigh it is rather wait till the season is over (but not too long).

Andy S

I believe Parker is a caretaker and that is all. With the kind of money the Khan's have they can appoint the best. I'm not saying anything against Parker but he does lack experience at the moment. He can then move out of the limelight and learn his trade in the right way

Lighthouse

The difference is that Man Utd had a really successful caretaker boss and decided to give him the job. Fulham have a caretaker boss who hasn't been successful. Although many players have come out to support him. I have mentioned before that we need or would like some cohesion in a season of upheaval. But bringing in an experienced manager is no guarantee of anything anyway. Not sure United made a mistake. In the short term it may have been mixed but in the long term it may well work.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Yeah, moving them from well out of the top four, to fighting for a champions league place is terrible.

Have you seen the squad he has? Smalling is their best defender, and that's not the best thing in the world. They have a player that's on £500k a week, who seems to have forgotten how to play football. And, to be fair to United, they faced probably the best team outside of Man City and Liverpool in Europe, with arguably the best player of all time (according to the media, not to me!!)
If that's a costly mistake, the let's sign him up now.

But, back to the point in question; we definitely need a manager with experience of getting a smaller team out of the lower league, with pittance to spend. Doesn't need to be from England either. Similar to the Ajax bloke. Bring through the youngsters we have at our disposal, instead of wasting millions on Unknown's.
Or, get Scott to do exactly that. We have some serious talent in the academy, why not use it.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

snarks

The improvement in play under SP is clear for anyone to see. The team is more cohesive, better organised and seemingly fitter.

I don't care about experience, everyone has to start somewhere, and why not SP at Fulham? OGS at Man U is a strange one, he did nothing at Cardiff the first time, went to Norway and then back to Man U, he really has no experience worthy of the name, and walks in to a big 6 club, and one of the richest in Europe. He's done OK although the teams shortcomings (which Jose repeated often about CB's) is still the main issue, but then Giggs did OK as caretaker there too.

Riversider

Kenny Jackett at Pompey has really impressed me this season with what he has done at Pompey, you would struggle to find more experience in the game, wouldn't mind seeing him join us in the summer in some capacity to work with Parker and his team, all boxes then ticked for me.

hovewhite

Can you trust the owner to recruit from outside of the club,and will that someone buy into TKs strategy and take whoever comes in.

AnOldBrownie

They couldn't wait because contract dealings and conversations are going on RIGHT NOW.   If a transfer target doesn't know who the manager is going to be what's the likelyhood of that player coming to the team?

It wasn't too soon.  ManU is simply on a run of poor form.   It happened to Spurs a month ago.  It happens.

If United knew who they wanted as manager (they probably had an idea they wanted Oli anyway) why wait?  So they could second guess themselves?   So they could get another big name manager and still only be a top 6 side like they've been the past 5 seasons?

Watching how things play out means you don't have a plan and your guessing/reacting.

davew

Surely the club won't be irresponsible or short sighted enough to appoint any manager before the end of the season, the next couple of games shouldn't in any way influence their decision to appoint SP, not appoint him maybe?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: hovewhite on April 17, 2019, 05:03:57 PM
Can you trust the owner to recruit from outside of the club,and will that someone buy into TKs strategy and take whoever comes in.
Yes but maybe not somebody who is suitable and probably in answer to the 2nd question, easy money for somebody and also a short period of employment! I would do it!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Matt10

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on April 17, 2019, 05:32:21 PM

They couldn't wait because contract dealings and conversations are going on RIGHT NOW.   If a transfer target doesn't know who the manager is going to be what's the likelyhood of that player coming to the team?

It wasn't too soon.  ManU is simply on a run of poor form.   It happened to Spurs a month ago.  It happens.

If United knew who they wanted as manager (they probably had an idea they wanted Oli anyway) why wait?  So they could second guess themselves?   So they could get another big name manager and still only be a top 6 side like they've been the past 5 seasons?

Watching how things play out means you don't have a plan and your guessing/reacting.

Really well said.

I think Parker could attract a decent amount of players, especially considering he has the backing of the current crop, not to mention the likes of Sir AF to name a few.

The Rational Fan

IMO, Scott Parker failed under Jokavoic and failed Raneri, but was a good caretaker manager. For me, that is the profile of someone that deserves another chance at the number two role again under a different manager.

As for getting Sit Alex Ferguson's backing, I consider that a bad thing given Sir Alex backing David Moyes.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 17, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
IMO, Scott Parker failed under Jokavoic and failed Raneri, but was a good caretaker manager. For me, that is the profile of someone that deserves another chance at the number two role again under a different manager.

As for getting Sit Alex Ferguson's backing, I consider that a bad thing given Sir Alex backing David Moyes.

When Fergie backed Moyes as his successor he was doing a good job at Everton,and all the football family supported it that he was the man to take over from Sir Alex,sometimes it doesn't work out does it?
That don't don't make Sir Alex a bad judge.

colinwhite

If Scott can put a run of wins together then he is going to be nailed on. The "same mistake as Man utd " doesnt make any sense to me. OGS has done an incredible job and made UTd a serious team again.

Riversider

Quote from: colinwhite on April 18, 2019, 07:42:00 AM
If Scott can put a run of wins together then he is going to be nailed on. The "same mistake as Man utd " doesnt make any sense to me. OGS has done an incredible job and made UTd a serious team again.

They are currently on their worst run for 18 years ! Hardly doing an "incredible " job.

I Ronic

0001.jpeg

As mentioned before he seems to be getting more from the players. Hopefully that's because of his input. Any delay in appointing a manager puts us back into the same situation as last season where decisions and transfers are delayed. 

Mince n Tatties

True in a sense,but I think a lot of it is down to the players not playing for Jose.

Mickeyboro

Do we really want to start again at Xmas? Parker is the new Kit... Enough said.

snarks

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 17, 2019, 09:55:52 PM

Failed under Jokanovic and failed Raneri - what???

I really don't understand that, there is absolutely no basis for that statement unless you are part of the coaching or playing staff at the club.