watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Let's not make the same mistake as Man Utd

Started by Riversider, April 17, 2019, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

This time next year OGS will have been replaced. On the way home Saturday there was some well informed clown who rang in Rad 5 to tell the world that OGS is the best manager in that pl;ace....right.  :doh:

092.gif

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bog on April 18, 2019, 08:49:28 AM
This time next year OGS will have been replaced. On the way home Saturday there was some well informed clown who rang in Rad 5 to tell the world that OGS is the best manager in that pl;ace....right.  :doh:

092.gif

Yes being hyped up by all and sundry,as I've already said the players had downed tools for Jose,as soon as he left they started playing...

Sting of the North

Quote from: snarks on April 18, 2019, 08:42:29 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 17, 2019, 09:55:52 PM
IMO, Scott Parker failed under Jokavoic and failed Raneri, but was a good caretaker manager. For me, that is the profile of someone that deserves another chance at the number two role again under a different manager.

As for getting Sit Alex Ferguson's backing, I consider that a bad thing given Sir Alex backing David Moyes.

Failed under Jokanovic and failed Raneri - what???

I really don't understand that, there is absolutely no basis for that statement unless you are part of the coaching or playing staff at the club.

This is basically the same as every other discussion on here though, like about Kamara, or the two (three?) tick system, or the attitude of certain players, or if Schürrle actually had a virus etc. We don't know unless we have more inside information, which at least the very majority of us don't. So, it is almost always a level of uncertainty in our assessments, which is why they are opinions with a various level facts and/or additional information to back up said opinion.

In the case at hand, if you mean that we cannot properly assess the causation between the results of the team and Parker's involvement, then I agree. If you look at the correlation however, we have a very, very poor record overall with Parker as part of the coaching team. So, there could be said to be a basis for the statement that Parker has so far failed in the sense that we have been ever unsuccessful with him involved. That is not the same as stating that this is without a doubt because of Parker, since there can be many other explanations as well.

I don't however understand the Rational Fans' reasoning why two consecutive failings as an assistant, followed by being a "good caretaker manager" should lead to the conclusion that he should go back to what he failed at instead of staying on in his alleged more successful role.

Riversider

Quote from: colinwhite on April 18, 2019, 07:42:00 AM
If Scott can put a run of wins together then he is going to be nailed on. The "same mistake as Man utd " doesnt make any sense to me. OGS has done an incredible job and made UTd a serious team again.

If they lose to City in midweek he will be lucky to still be in charge come August, starting to look very much out of his depth.

Lyle from Hangeland

There are probably more than a dozen managers or potential managers (available or willing to come to Fulham) who could guide Fulham back up next year. Scott Parker is probably one of them, so might as well stick with him. I think they've already decided this as they let him hire away the Tottenham youth coach. That said, not a single one of them (Scott included) is a guarantee FFC will go back up. It is what it is, but chopping and changing just makes FFC like any other yo-yo club

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Riversider on April 21, 2019, 04:41:30 PM
If Scott can put a run of wins together then he is going to be nailed on. The "same mistake as Man utd " doesnt make any sense to me. OGS has done an incredible job and made UTd a serious team again.

If they lose to City in midweek he will be lucky to still be in charge come August, starting to look very much out of his depth.

They've had a lot of games, missed two of their players in most their recent losses (Herrera, Luke Shaw) and have a striker that can't play Olley's brand of football.

Yet they are still better off right now than they were when Jose Mourinho, one of the best, most experienced managers in the world was running the team.

All the negativity and United are still only 3 points off 3rd place and 2 points off 4th.

Olly will be manager next season and he'll have a chance to replace at least two dead wood players in the side over the summer.

Let's talk about the Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal managers who have way more experience yet in the same window as Olly's hiring they haven't done better than that caretaker manager.    Let's just selectively overlook that.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on April 21, 2019, 06:24:58 PM
Yet they are still better off right now than they were when Jose Mourinho, one of the best, most experienced managers in the world was running the team.

All the negativity and United are still only 3 points off 3rd place and 2 points off 4th.

Mourinho was sacked, so irrespective of his experience, Solskjaer's objective was to do a lot better. As it stands they're in the the same position, further from the top two and out of both cups, and in terrible form. Any improvement has been short-lived, and at the end of the season the overall change will likely look marginal or even non-existent.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on April 21, 2019, 07:05:09 PM

Mourinho was sacked, so irrespective of his experience, Solskjaer's objective was to do a lot better. As it stands they're in the the same position, further from the top two and out of both cups, and in terrible form. Any improvement has been short-lived, and at the end of the season the overall change will likely look marginal or even non-existent.

They were 8th...they currently sit at 6th...much better goal differential even though they gave up 4 today...cover more ground than they did under Jose by a LOT...and at least try to play attractive football.

Again...the league was the goal...but the players are the same players that covered the least amount of yardage in the EPL last season.  The same players that didn't press last season even against poorer sides, and the team that lost to HUDDERSFIELD.

Regardless of the next three matches, LONG TERM...United are better off with Olly.

Week 17 of this season.

United were
13 points behind Spurs
11 points behind Chelsea
8 points behind Arsenal
with an asshole for a manager

They are better off today even though they're form is shite.  Anyone expecting a huge turnaround with the same group of players would have been naive.

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on April 21, 2019, 07:27:24 PM
Quote from: Statto on April 21, 2019, 07:05:09 PM

They were 8th...they currently sit at 6th...much better goal differential even though they gave up 4 today...cover more ground than they did under Jose by a LOT...and at least try to play attractive football.

Again...the league was the goal...but the players are the same players that covered the least amount of yardage in the EPL last season.  The same players that didn't press last season even against poorer sides, and the team that lost to HUDDERSFIELD.

Regardless of the next three matches, LONG TERM...United are better off with Olly.

Week 17 of this season.

United were
13 points behind Spurs
11 points behind Chelsea
8 points behind Arsenal
with an asshole for a manager

They are better off today even though they're form is shite.  Anyone expecting a huge turnaround with the same group of players would have been naive.

No, they were 6th when he was sacked.

The rest of your post is largely subjective ("an asshole for a manager") and conjecture ("LONG TERM...") so whilst I don't agree, I don't see that arguing any further will resolve much.

Bracken White

A lot of unnecessary overthinking here. Blessed by some great football last season & we've seen a return of it under SP, Stuart Gray & Matt Wells. I really don't hold with this 'experienced Championshjp Manager' myth - if our results & performances continue, it's a no brainer, for me.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Riversider

Oh dear, that "incredible job" not looking so incredible now is it ? 32 points behind City, will he still be there in August ?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Riversider on May 12, 2019, 05:39:04 PM

Oh dear, that "incredible job" not looking so incredible now is it ? 32 points behind City, will he still be there in August ?

Hindsight.

It came crashing down in Manchester.   Let's pray, as Fulham fans, that it doesn't happen to Scott.

Different circumstances...MUCH different teams.