watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - EV Charging

Started by H4usuallysitting, April 20, 2019, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Is it true - there is free electric chargers for motor's?..... Again many thanks for any replies

Logicalman

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 20, 2019, 09:46:20 PM
Is it true - there is free electric chargers for motor's?..... Again many thanks for any replies

you mean this: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46386858

Tesco, in partnership with Volkswagen, plans to install almost 2,500 charging bays at up to 600 stores by 2020.

A standard 7kW charger will be available for free, but drivers will have to pay for a faster service.

Customers will be able to leave their cars to charge while doing their shopping, which should give time for a "substantial" free charge, VW said.

How long it will take to fully replenish the battery will depend on the type of car. A company called Podpoint will build the charging facilities for VW and Tesco.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

fulhamben

Magic, so if you spend about an hour in Tesco, you should just have about enough charge to get out of the car park making you someone else's problem when you break down
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Logicalman

Quote from: fulhamben on April 20, 2019, 10:11:12 PM
Magic, so if you spend about an hour in Tesco, you should just have about enough charge to get out of the car park making you someone else's problem when you break down

:012:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

.. or you could move into a San Diego  apartment and get it free! https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/new-program-will-offer-free-electric-car-charging-stations-san-diego-residents-living/

San Diego, Calif. Today, ChargePoint – the company that built the world's largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network – along with City of San Diego, the California Energy Commission, and other local groups, announced a new program to install electric vehicle charging stations at multi-family units throughout San Diego.

The ChargePoint MultiCharge program allows condo and apartment property owners to apply for free electric vehicle chargers – giving San Diego residents the opportunity to own and conveniently charge an electric vehicle at their home. Applicants will only be responsible for the installation costs.

fulhamben

Quote from: Logicalman on April 20, 2019, 10:15:36 PM
.. or you could move into a San Diego  apartment and get it free! https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/new-program-will-offer-free-electric-car-charging-stations-san-diego-residents-living/

San Diego, Calif. Today, ChargePoint – the company that built the world's largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network – along with City of San Diego, the California Energy Commission, and other local groups, announced a new program to install electric vehicle charging stations at multi-family units throughout San Diego.

The ChargePoint MultiCharge program allows condo and apartment property owners to apply for free electric vehicle chargers – giving San Diego residents the opportunity to own and conveniently charge an electric vehicle at their home. Applicants will only be responsible for the installation costs.

and that's basically a plug socket. They will not give you a fast charge unit as they cost about 30 thousand pounds, and tricle charges are just done off the mains. So as great as that sounds, you could achieve the same thing with an extension lead. Plus it's for multi family residents, so if your neighbour gets in first, and they take half a day to fully charge, you will be getting a bus to work. Electric cars sound great, until you fully realise the pain in having to charge one.

Logicalman

Quote from: fulhamben on April 20, 2019, 10:23:56 PM

and that's basically a plug socket. They will not give you a fast charge unit as they cost about 30 thousand pounds, and tricle charges are just done off the mains. So as great as that sounds, you could achieve the same thing with an extension lead. Plus it's for multi family residents, so if your neighbour gets in first, and they take half a day to fully charge, you will be getting a bus to work. Electric cars sound great, until you fully realise the pain in having to charge one.

.. and there, as you have pointed out so eloquently, is the catch.

Whilst there is no law that bans me from owning a dirty, gas burning, vehicle, I  will happily do so.   :dft012:

Twig

I have two cars, a 5l supercharged Jag Xkr and a BMW 335d.  At some stage I guess I will go electric but not before they replicate some of the fun of being a petrol head.

fulhamben

Quote from: Logicalman on April 20, 2019, 10:29:15 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on April 20, 2019, 10:23:56 PM

.. and there, as you have pointed out so eloquently, is the catch.

Whilst there is no law that bans me from owning a dirty, gas burning, vehicle, I  will happily do so.   :dft012:
yep, exactly that. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get one, one day. But forgetting the fact that the batteries are so disastrous for the environment as they can't do anything with them once they are knackered, my biggest problem is that live in a typical terrace road in London. Some times I end up 3 streets away just looking for a spot to park my car. I honestly believe that the hydrogen engine will be the future once the tech is there to use it for fuel cells as opposed to burning it. Probably not in my life time though

H4usuallysitting

Interesting.... I'm being persuaded to purchase a new cab (at an extraordinary cost)....and the infrastructure could be a problem....think I'll stick with diesel to see me out to my retirement....in the manufacturers blurb it says I could save £110/week in diesel fuel bills....most week's my diesel spend is £90/week........I remember BMW pushing hydrogen cell vehicles in the eighties - maybe the oil companies persuaded them to stop

fulhamben

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 20, 2019, 11:22:33 PM
Interesting.... I'm being persuaded to purchase a new cab (at an extraordinary cost)....and the infrastructure could be a problem....think I'll stick with diesel to see me out to my retirement....in the manufacturers blurb it says I could save £110/week in diesel fuel bills....most week's my diesel spend is £90/week........I remember BMW pushing hydrogen cell vehicles in the eighties - maybe the oil companies persuaded them to stop
Yes spot on about oil company, I read sometime ago that they snapped up all the patents. Although not 100% on that. And the new cabs can do about just under 400 miles on a full charge. Which is quite good compare to most electric cars. Do taxis have to pay charges around central London or are you exempt, as is imagine the new electric ones will be exempt from khans taxes. So could be some savings there if central is your area

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: fulhamben on April 21, 2019, 12:16:17 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 20, 2019, 11:22:33 PM
Yes spot on about oil company, I read sometime ago that they snapped up all the patents. Although not 100% on that. And the new cabs can do about just under 400 miles on a full charge. Which is quite good compare to most electric cars. Do taxis have to pay charges around central London or are you exempt, as is imagine the new electric ones will be exempt from khans taxes. So could be some savings there if central is your area

The new cabs do a max of 50 miles on full EV.....with a full tank of petrol that generates electricity (the drive train is full EV only) that goes up to around 320 miles.....as a public and wheelchair accessible vehicle were exempt from cc & ulez.....but the cost of the cab with finance is £70k, plus there is an insurance premium of 50%+ because its unknown......Think I'm to old - as I'm planning to retire in near future.....I work all over the place.....ended up in Guildford last week....had a little walk down the Wey - very nice

filham

I guess an electric car for most people would mean a daily recharge. Tesco see away of keeping car owners on their site for a few hours regularly buying goods or drinking coffee and eating cakes, think I will continue paying thier price for a 5 minute fortnightly visit for petrol