watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are not the only ones who spend big and fail

Started by love4ffc, April 24, 2019, 10:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

I am not defending Fulham for failing this year while spending 100 million on players but, listening to the NBC Commentators after the Man U v City match.  They mentioned how much Man United have spent since Sir Alex Ferguson stepped down as manager.  It got me curious, so I pulled some data together.   

All data via pulled from transfermarket .  All data involves the 6 seasons since Ferguson retired.   
Number of managers since Ferguson = four

Number of player transfers = 21

Money spent in transfer market = £774.53

Food for thought.  That is £29 million more a season on average then we spent last summer, and most commentators seem to think that Man U are in need of a big rebuild meaning more money needs to be spent. 

Shows for me that even the big boys can spend big and still fail and slip as they go into the summer. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

davew

£774-53 seems a lot to spend on 21 players, that's nearly £38 per player, only joking, I know you meant 774.53m?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

The Rational Fan

Has any team ever succeeded without at least half the players being at the club for at least a year before the season?

Fulham Squad Value  (poor) = Player Quality (not the problem) + Squad Stability (the problem)

Statto

Hmmm, by my cacluations they've got about 420 points in that time. So about £1.8m per point. About 2.5x better than the return we got on our £100m. If we'd got their return, we'd be about 7th right now...

Woolly Mammoth

We are the only ones that have TK currently for the moment as head of recruitment though.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Steven Ageroad

It was mentioned on TV during the Brighton game at the weekend that they had spent £66mil on players in the summer but not one of them were in the team playing that day. I expect the equivalent of TK at Brighton is getting abused on a Brighton fans website!
I also believe that they have not scored a goal in eight games!!

grandad

Man City have spent £1.3 billion on their rise.Makes our paltry sum seem like petty cash.
Where there's a will there's a wife

SG

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on April 25, 2019, 10:47:24 AM
It was mentioned on TV during the Brighton game at the weekend that they had spent £66mil on players in the summer but not one of them were in the team playing that day. I expect the equivalent of TK at Brighton is getting abused on a Brighton fans website!

And the forward with the unpronounceable surname from Holland signed in Jan for £13m has yet to score a goal

gang

Quote from: SG on April 25, 2019, 04:13:20 PM
Quote from: Steven Ageroad on April 25, 2019, 10:47:24 AM

And the forward with the unpronounceable surname from Holland signed in Jan for £13m has yet to score a goal

If he scores they will announce a different scorer to save the trouble of trying to pronounce his name.