Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 18, 2019, 05:08:37 PM
Quote from: Wingnut on July 18, 2019, 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on July 18, 2019, 04:20:00 PM
Must say that Cardiff & Brentford's recruitment of proven centre halves, who are leadership types at reasonable prices appear to be good business

Cardiff are going to do really well this season. Had a really good Championship standard squad already and they've added to it. Automatic promotion for anyone who finishes ahead of them.

I'm not entirely convinced by Cardiff, but they won't be far off playoffs at a minimum. I don't see them challenging top 2.

Agreed. We are much better on paper and "should" finish well above them. Although that has been the case for the last two seasons and we still finished below them both years.

JoelH5

Unless we sign someone in the next 7 days (giving a minimum of 2 weeks preseason), we have again failed to strengthen the defence in time. I'm actually normally quite positive with TK especially after Mitro et al but this is really starting to p*ss me off now. Sign a flipping defender mate!!!
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 18, 2019, 05:58:53 PM
Unless we sign someone in the next 7 days (giving a minimum of 2 weeks preseason), we have again failed to strengthen the defence in time. I'm actually normally quite positive with TK especially after Mitro et al but this is really starting to p*ss me off now. Sign a flipping defender mate!!!

Agree 100%, we've had since April (arguably January) to identify and sign defenders yet still nothing. Our defence has been our Achilles heel for a long time and if we don't get a CB (RB too I think) with at least a friendly match to spare then we have failed to adequately prepare once again. I'm sure the transfer market has it complexities but it seems to me that more should have been done sooner.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

JoelH5

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 18, 2019, 06:17:37 PM

Agree 100%, we've had since April (arguably January) to identify and sign defenders yet still nothing. Our defence has been our Achilles heel for a long time and if we don't get a CB (RB too I think) with at least a friendly match to spare then we have failed to adequately prepare once again. I'm sure the transfer market has it complexities but it seems to me that more should have been done sooner.

And how comes plenty of other clubs have managed to get defenders in? Huddersfield, Cardiff, Brentford to name a few
I was there, standing in the Putney end

grandad

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 18, 2019, 06:19:26 PM

And how comes plenty of other clubs have managed to get defenders in? Huddersfield, Cardiff, Brentford to name a few
But are they better than who we have now? We are in the market to get better players not more of the same. Better CB´s are hard to find.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: grandad on July 18, 2019, 06:37:16 PM

But are they better than who we have now? We are in the market to get better players not more of the same. Better CB´s are hard to find.

You got 2 up the road in Hector & Tomori, both player of the year at their loan clubs

AnOldBrownie

We wont know if he's available for loan for another few weeks... But Tuanzebe from United would be a good get. Not sure if Villa still want him and United might be more keen to deal with a championship side rather than an epl side. If they get Maguire Axel would be their 6th in line Cb behind Mag, Jones, Lindelof, Billy and Smalling. I'm not even including Rojo.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

junior white

Jones is available apparently, rumoured to have been offered to West Ham when they wanted to do a PX for someone

70sPimlico

I happen to think we'll have the best centre back and  the best/one of the best left full backs in the league. Its only my opinion but with a full pre season and fully fit, Alfie will be a beast in this league.

I think we have a great spine. I cant get Barnsley tickets until Monday (general sale) but I think some on here may get a bit of a shock at how good we are.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 18, 2019, 07:32:35 PM
Quote from: grandad on July 18, 2019, 06:37:16 PM

You got 2 up the road in Hector & Tomori, both player of the year at their loan clubs

Exactly the type of players we should be looking at and now that Seri has gone it should free up wages and we've probably got a small loan fee that can go towards other deals. We need good quality defender(s) in ASAP so they can hit the ground running.

(Apologies if this sounds like a moan - it's wasnt intended that way)
@LeeWarner19

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 18, 2019, 08:30:34 PM
I happen to think we'll have the best centre back and  the best/one of the best left full backs in the league. Its only my opinion but with a full pre season and fully fit, Alfie will be a beast in this league.

I think we have a great spine. I cant get Barnsley tickets until Monday (general sale) but I think some on here may get a bit of a shock at how good we are.

I'm going to say this.

Alfie Mawson, even if he can stay healthy, will only be as good as his partnered right sided CB.   Alfie is vocal, can play the ball in the air...and is physical.    He needs a VERY good partner to bring out the best of him.   

And again, that's a big IF as far as him staying healthy.

wheelerdeeler

We'd have to have been patient even with Tony Khan's slow negotiating speed on Tomori and Hector. Hector had the Gold Cup with Jamaica, and will probably only be available to start his Pre-Season on Monday anyway. For Tomori, Chelsea had to sort out appointing Lampard and then Lampard needs to decide if Tomori's worth keeping around for Chelsea given their transfer ban. Tomori's always been my #1 choice for Centre-Back, just because I think he'd partner Mawson perfectly.

A potentially "under the radar" one for Centre-Back could be Daniel Ayala. In the last year of his contract, so I doubt he'd be excessively expensive. Think we've been in for him before as well, so he'd fit our recruitment profile in the sense in that we go back for a decent number of players e.g. McDonald, Cisse, Cyriac, Cavaleiro and probably a few more.

Tabby

Doubt Boro would let Ayala go after selling Flint.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Tabby on July 18, 2019, 09:11:25 PM

From speaking to a Boro fan it seems like their plan for the season is Dael Fry + someone else. And they already have Shotton and apparently George Friend is being tried out as a LCB in Pre-Season. I think they'd sell for the right price given he's in the last year of his deal.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 18, 2019, 09:14:57 PM
Quote from: Tabby on July 18, 2019, 09:11:25 PM

From speaking to a Boro fan it seems like their plan for the season is Dael Fry + someone else. And they already have Shotton and apparently George Friend is being tried out as a LCB in Pre-Season. I think they'd sell for the right price given he's in the last year of his deal.

Can Middlesborough not afford to extend Ayala's contract?  He's a good CB.  Why wouldn't they retain him to be that "someone else"?   He's in his prime for a CB.

The Rational Fan

After we sell R.Sess, do we really think defense is our main weakness?

Six Best Defenders - Christie, Odoi, Mawson, Ream, MLM and Bryan
Six Best Midfieldes - Cisse, McDonald, Anguissa, Johasen, Cairney, De La Torre
Six Best Forwards - Calverio, Kamara, Fonte, Mitro, Atiye, Kebano

Including subs most games in 17/18 we played 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 5 forwards

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 19, 2019, 12:18:31 AM

If we sell R.Sess near deadline day as expected and but no one, do you really think our defense is our biggest weakness

Including subs most games in 17/18 we played 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 5 forwards

Of course our defence is our biggest weakness! It has been for 2 seasons!
@LeeWarner19

..FOF..

Yes, I am too expecting a couple of proven "pedigree" defenders to be signed to challenge our current batch.

And a World Class goalkeeper, probably slightly aging, as a bonus.... you know, since some fans here said that we have bottomless wealth and budget at Fulham and that seems to be main factor for success... hahaha

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 19, 2019, 12:21:11 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 19, 2019, 12:18:31 AM

If we sell R.Sess near deadline day as expected and but no one, do you really think our defense is our biggest weakness

Of course our defence is our biggest weakness! It has been for 2 seasons!

Hey without Sess, Babel, Piazon, Schullre and Vietto things maybe different from last two seasons, but the bigger issue is we overelied on Mitrovoic anyway for those two seasons.

SG

Any ideas on what is happening with Cisse and Fabri. Neither are featuring but both still here, I think