watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (30/04/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 30, 2019, 08:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Transfer boost for Tottenham as teenage PL target refuses to commit future to current club

Spurs transfer news: Ryan Sessegnon doesn't commit long-term to Fulham

Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon has failed to commit his long-term future with the Cottagers.

The London side were relegated to the Championship with five games remaining in the season, and Sky Sports claims that several top-flight clubs are interested in the 18-year-old.

The Sun reported that Mauricio Pochettino is a major factor in the race to sign Sessegnon and had given Tottenham the edge.

Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain are also interested in the English youngster, according to the Sun.

Sky Sports adds that Sessegnon's contract runs till the end of next season and Fulham could be interested in selling the 18-year-old.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Sessegnon didn't speak much about his future:

"I'm still a Fulham player, contracted until 2020.

"So I'm still a Fulham player and in terms of that, that's all I can say at the moment."

Fulham get back to winning ways but at the wrong time
Fulham struggled to pick up the points but have won their last three games. The Cottagers are coming into form at the wrong time, and they could have saved themselves from relegation had they played in a similar fashion earlier in the season.

Sessegnon was one of the best players in the Championship last season but has struggled to hit top form in the Premier League.

The English youngster has just two goals and six assists from a largely forgettable Premier League campaign by the Cottagers.

However, Pochettino has done extremely well working with youngsters, and it will be interesting to see which players Tottenham sign after two barren transfer windows.

https://tothelaneandback.com/2019/04/29/transfer-boost-for-tottenham-as-teenage-pl-target-refuses-to-commit-future-to-current-club/

ken 44

I like most supporters of our club want Ryan Sessegnon to stay, but do appreciate it his decision, what I dislike
with a passion is people and news outlets trying to sell him to Spurs before he has made that decision, and every
Fulham supporter knows Levy will not want to pay our price.

WhiteJC

For Scott Parker's Fulham, a season of downward spirals can end looking upwards

The next season promises to be a rollercoaster, Parker is naive, he'll take risks, he'll make mistakes. But at Fulham, finally there is something for fans to be excited about again

As the news funnelled through to a resolutely upbeat Neil Warnock that Newcastle had taken the lead against Brighton, the insuppressible, seemingly immortal manager brushed melancholy aside, clung to the minuscule air of hope, and marched relentlessly onward. "Absolutely, [I'm up for another season in the Championship]," he said. "I'm only a youngster aren't I?"

The typically calm, defiant and unchanging salt of the impermeable 70-year-old manager. For Cardiff, even in relegation, much will remain the same. This was Warnock's 1,455th game as a manager. An astonishing display of endurance.

Even if their relegation is confirmed this weekend, there can be no disputing the wonders Warnock has worked with a side whose fate seemed apparent so early on this season, but have still come almightily close to avoiding its clutches. "If Vincent [Tan] wants me to stay, I'll stay. If he wants me to leave, I'd go without any compensation or anything. It doesn't bother me," Warnock continued ambivalently. "Who would you get better for the job at hand if I'm up for it?"

The flaws in Cardiff and Fulham's approaches to life in the Premier League have dwindled at opposite ends of calamity. Fulham's frantic overhaul, last-gasp panic buys, the succession of managers and general distrust in a team who'd performed so brilliantly in the second half of the Championship season left them jumbled and disjointed. The team Warnock called upon in such a pivotal game, the desperate last launch of their survival bid, featured a starting XI formed entirely of players who'd come from the Championship.

As Scott Parker says, "you know what you're getting with a Neil Warnock team. One of passion, one of desire, all the words that represent him". But fundamentally a Warnock team is one whose desire can ultimately be triumphed by skill. They can roughhouse and hustle anyone, battle, blockade and go blow-for-blow against the very best. But they are always a side who a Premier League club ultimately assumes they can outclass.

That is not to take away from his achievements, or the progress Warnock has made with Cardiff. He took over a side struggling for direction and secured a record-breaking eighth promotion to the top-tier two seasons later. But there always comes that unavoidable case of hitting the wall, that Warnock wall.

One which always confines a side to a similar identity, dragged to new heights by the scruff of the neck, until sheer willpower alone can no longer suffice. They won't conform or adapt, they won't chase the likes of Daniel Farke's technique brought from the Bundesliga or the ball-playing, open-faced approach of Eddie Howe's Bournemouth. It's fish and chips, bread and butter, tea and a bowl of cornflakes. It's a staple, steady and reliable. With Warnock's Cardiff, we always knew what we were getting this season, and it was always an uphill and unlikely struggle to prove it could be enough.

But for Fulham, whose relegation was confirmed long ago and have endured a considerably worse unravelling, their descent to the Championship has taken on an altogether different air under Scott Parker. As the pollen gusted through the back-alleys of Craven Cottage, it was the promise of a new spring. The mystery of a young manager at the helm with hunger and intelligence, who has already brought a feel-good factor back to a club who'd lost hope by Christmas. Fulham spent this entire season taking on risk, now under the 38-year-old caretaker they are bracing themselves for another.

Neil Warnock and Scott Parker met after the game (Reuters)

Victory over Cardiff marked Fulham's third successive victory and a hat-trick of clean sheets - an absurd feat in contrast to their early, endemic defensive woes. It was also only Parker's eighth game as manager. The next season promises to be a rollercoaster, he's naive, he'll take risks, he'll make mistakes. But at Fulham, finally there is something to be excited about again.

"I have got a clear idea, I know how I want my team to play, how to behave, how I want them to look," Parker said. "People say is it because the shackles are off, or because relegation is doomed, is that the reason? My answer to that is to win three games on the bounce in the Premier League is a tough ask, whether you're relegated or not."

Cardiff will rely on the old, steady familiar. Fulham will brave the new. Just as this season, contrasting ideologies could well bring similar results. One a slow and successful grind, a metronomic beat down the nighttime motorway. The other a city street littered with speed bumps and pot-holes, but of unknowing and endless possibility. That is the path Fulham will follow and with it, although they are destined to move down, in many ways their heads have already come up.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-cardiff-results-scott-parker-epl-table-fixtures-championship-a8890941.html

WhiteJC

GW36 Dream Team: Fulham pair impress

Defenders continue new-found resilience as The Scout looks at the Gameweek's top performers in FPL

A third straight clean sheet for Fulham is reflected in the Dream Team for Gameweek 36 of Fantasy Premier League.

Goalkeeper Sergio Rico (£4.4m) and full-back Cyrus Christie (£4.2m) both delivered double-digit returns in the Cottagers' 1-0 win over Cardiff City.

They claim a place in a Dream Team set-up that has five players across the back for the second week running.

The 5-3-2 formation produced 139 points overall.

Sergio Rico (FUL) £4.4m; 11pts

The Fulham goalkeeper made a string of saves to deny Cardiff. His display earned him two save points and the maximum bonus award.
Andrew Robertson (LIV) £6.8m; 14pts

The Liverpool left-back became the first defender in FPL history to reach the 200-point mark in a single season. He did it in style, with a 20th clean sheet and his 11th and 12th Fantasy assists of a brilliant campaign.
Cyrus Christie (FUL) £4.2m; 11pts

His appearance as a first-half substitute was a memorable one. As well as clean sheet and bonus points, Christie got the assist for Fulham's winning goal.
Ricardo Pereira (LEI) £5.3m; 10pts

With attacking full-backs dominating the Dream Team, Leicester City's Pereira produced his eighth FPL assist of the season as the Foxes beat Arsenal 3-0.
Trent Alexander-Arnold (LIV) £5.7m; 10pts

Another Liverpool defender who impressed in the 5-0 win over Huddersfield Town, the right-back provided his ninth assist of the campaign.
Marcos Alonso (CHE) £6.2m; 10pts

The Fantasy favourite marked his first start since Gameweek 32 with the equaliser in Chelsea's 1-1 draw at Manchester United.
Mohamed Salah (LIV) £13.3m; 19pts

The Gameweek's top points scorer is back in top form. His two goals and assist against Huddersfield means he has now delivered attacking returns in five successive fixtures.
Sadio Mane (LIV) £10.1m; 13pts

Salah's team-mate scored a brace for the third time in five home matches, earning an eighth double-figure score of the season.
Diogo Jota (WOL) £6.2m; 12pts

The Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder scored and provided an assist in the 2-1 win at Watford. Seven of his nine goals and five of his eight FPL assists this season have come since Gameweek 23.
Callum Wilson (BOU) £6.7m; 16pts

The AFC Bournemouth forward is finishing the season with a bang. He made the Dream Team for the second time in three Gameweeks after scoring two goals and setting up the other as the Cherries drew 3-3 with Southampton.
Jamie Vardy (LEI) £9.0m; 13pts

Two goals and maximum bonus points brought the Leicester striker his third double-digit haul in seven Gameweeks. Despite that fine form, he has lost nearly 300,000 owners over the past two weeks.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1203965

WhiteJC

Clubs waiting for Fulham's approval before making transfer official

Clubs are still waiting for Fulham's final position on the loan of Luciano Vietto before announcing his new destination, according to the Portuguese press.

Newspaper A Bola says Atletico Madrid and Sporting are ready to make his move to Portugal official, but they must wait until the Cottagers say if they'll be using their buying option.

Loaned to Fulham until the end of the season, Vietto has one goal and one assist for the Whites, and can be signed for a fixed amount.

But the striker has reportedly reached a verbal agreement with Sporting for a five-year deal, and now waits for the clubs to make the move official.

A Bola adds that with Fulham's relegation to the Championship, the possibility of staying at the London side 'is not liked' by the player. Also because he hasn't been much used at the club.

So it looks like just a matter of time until Vietto finally joins Sporting.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/clubs-waiting-fulhams-approval-making-transfer-official/

WhiteJC

Fulham FC's new state-of-the-art training facilities will 'rival any Premier League club'

They will have everything from heated pitches to hydrotherapy pools

(Image: Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Premier League games are won and lost on the finest of margins.

Whether it's using special vacuum cleaners to suck up dust from players' hotel rooms or getting them to run underwater in special hydrotherapy pools, it seems club's need state of the art facilities and equipment to help their players get the edge at the highest level.

So it is with West London's Fulham FC, whose recent relegation to the Championship shows may have been lacking in certain key areas.

But the ambition shown in their plans for brand new training facilities suggests they could be bouncing back into the top flight very soon.

In fact the club has claimed the new facilities will be "comparable with other top flight clubs".

Planning permission has just been granted to start the work.

The new site, close to the existing facility in Motspur Park, will be used by the first team and under-23s - ending the current situation of overcrowding.

Fulham bought the current site while the club was in the third tier of English football.

Craven Cottage is hardly used for anything other than matches, and the club runs all other business from Motspur Park.

The existing site is limited by its size and the age of the buildings, and has left Fulham lagging behind other Premier League clubs.

Not having facilities like a hydrotherapy pool or underwater treadmills, the club argued in documents submitted to Kingston Council, are "essential in top level professional football grounds".

Fulham looked at leaving Motspur Park for a larger site further afield, in Elmbridge or Kingswood, but with the new development - on an old BBC staff sports ground - it will stay in the area and run across two sites.

The new ground will have five irrigated pitches (one with under-pitch heating), two areas for goalkeeping work and three ancillary training areas.

The main building will have gyms for fitness and rehab, medical treatment and physiotherapy rooms, cryotherapy and hydrotherapy, including a pool, hot and cold pools and a jacuzzi.

There will also be rooms for coaching, scouting, video and match analysis as well as security and kitchens.

The site was sold by the BBC in the late 1990s to become a private members club, but this was unsuccessful.

Other failed plans for the site included a crematorium, but the application was withdrawn.

In 2016, the pavilion building had to be demolished for safety reasons after being damaged in an arson attack.

Eventually, the site was bought by Fulham in 2017, who have been using it for training since 2018.

Building work will begin this summer, for the pitches to be used in the 2019/20 season. Other work will begin shortly afterwards.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/fulham-fcs-new-state-art-16197594

WhiteJC

Edventure

There are more than 25,000 seats in Craven Cottage, and Fulham FC's own Ed Vanson will attempt to sit in each and every one of them this bank holiday weekend.

Ed Vanson will complete the challenge, along with Ride London in August, to raise funds for Fulham FC Foundation.     

Ed is no stranger to a fundraising challenge, having previously completed three marathons.

Considering the challenges ahead, Ed said: "I have really pushed myself hard before on other challenges but this is going into the unknown.

I don't really know to train for this – how do you prepare to visit 25,000 seats over a weekend after all? But raising money for a brilliant charity like this is all the motivation I need. I don't give up easily."

A familiar and friendly face around Craven Cottage, Ed is calling on fellow Fulham fans to help him hit his fundraising target. You can support Ed and Fulham FC Foundation by visiting: www.justgiving.com/edventure.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/april/29/edventure

WhiteJC

Scott Parker set for further Fulham talks after boosting case for permanent job with three straight wins

Scott Parker will hold further talks with Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan this week after strengthening his claims for the job at Craven Cottage with a third straight win over Cardiff City.

Three successive victories have put Parker in line to land the manager's role on a permanent basis and he is due for more discussions with Khan about next season.

Khan, the son of Fulham owner Shahid, was in America last week but is due back in London this week to continue planning for the Championship.

Parker guided Fulham to a 1-0 win against Cardiff on Saturday and the Cottagers have now kept three consecutive clean sheets.

The Fulham hierarchy have been impressed with the work Parker has done since replacing Claudio Ranieri and senior staff at the club are working with the 38-year-old to put plans in place for next season.

Parker has already discussed potential transfer targets and helped put together plans for a pre-season programme which is likely to include games in Portugal.

The core of the Fulham squad, including Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, want Parker to land the job on a permanent basis and Khan is likely to speak to the players before making a final decision on whether to appoint him.

"It is out of my control," Parker said after a superb goal from Ryan Babel gave Fulham victory over Cardiff.

"All I can control is trying to put out a team with the traits that the fans want and that I want. And certainly over the last couple of weeks we have got that."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/scott-parker-set-for-further-fulham-talks-after-boosting-case-for-permanent-job-with-three-straight-a4129356.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Cardiff City 0 | Talking Points

Fulham continued their good run to claim a 1-0 win against Cardiff City which all but confirmed the Bluebirds' relegation.

Even though Fulham's relegation is confirmed, Cardiff's fate currently hangs in the balance. The Bluebirds were three points adrift of safety, and they had a chance to make up the gap on Brighton. But Fulham had different ideas, and they won their third straight game to beat Cardiff.

Ryan Babel got the only goal in the second half, a stunning effort from outside the box. He latched on to Cyrus Christie's pass and placed a powerful curling shot into the top corner. Cardiff did have chances to snatch a draw, and Junior Hoilett hit the bar in the dying stages.

Clinical Fulham dominate the game

The pattern of the game was constant, as Fulham were the side who dominated the ball. They had a whopping 73% possession in the game. Fulham completed 623 passes in the game, compared to just 220 from Cardiff. The Bluebirds did not press, and Fulham circulated the ball efficiently.

Despite their dominance on the ball, they failed to carve out many chances. Fulham had just two efforts on target and managed to score with one of them. It was a clinical display from the home side, something we have not seen from them this season. The likes of Tom Cairney and Calum Chambers played well, helping to maintain possession.

Cardiff fail to seize the advantage in vital tie

Simply put, this game was a huge one for Cardiff. They were three points behind Brighton going into the tie, and Neil Warnock had the opportunity to put the pressure on the Seagulls. Three points would have been a huge boost, but Cardiff failed to seize the game as they would have wanted.

Warnock's team selection was doubtful, and he admitted later on that it might have hindered his side's chances of winning the game. Cardiff failed to assert themselves on the game, and Fulham looked the better side for large parts of the contest. The combative Harry Arter was missed in midfield.

Next week Cardiff will play Crystal Palace at home. If they play similarly in front of their fans, relegation could be confirmed as soon as next week.  Warnock will want a better response from his players, otherwise, his debut Premier League season would have a sore ending.

Sergio Rico stars to deny Cardiff

Despite Fulham's possession dominance, Cardiff had 8 shots on goal in the game. They concentrated on set pieces, and Fulham goalkeeper Sergio Rico had to be alert to the danger. He impressed, and it allowed his side to keep their third clean sheet in a row.

Fulham 1 Cardiff City 0 | Talking Points
By Parth AthaleCardiff CityFulhamMatch Report | 29 April, 2019

Fulham continued their good run to claim a 1-0 win against Cardiff City which all but confirmed the Bluebirds' relegation.
Embed from Getty Images

Even though Fulham's relegation is confirmed, Cardiff's fate currently hangs in the balance. The Bluebirds were three points adrift of safety, and they had a chance to make up the gap on Brighton. But Fulham had different ideas, and they won their third straight game to beat Cardiff.

Ryan Babel got the only goal in the second half, a stunning effort from outside the box. He latched on to Cyrus Christie's pass and placed a powerful curling shot into the top corner. Cardiff did have chances to snatch a draw, and Junior Hoilett hit the bar in the dying stages.

Clinical Fulham dominate the game

The pattern of the game was constant, as Fulham were the side who dominated the ball. They had a whopping 73% possession in the game. Fulham completed 623 passes in the game, compared to just 220 from Cardiff. The Bluebirds did not press, and Fulham circulated the ball efficiently.
Embed from Getty Images

Despite their dominance on the ball, they failed to carve out many chances. Fulham had just two efforts on target and managed to score with one of them. It was a clinical display from the home side, something we have not seen from them this season. The likes of Tom Cairney and Calum Chambers played well, helping to maintain possession.

Cardiff fail to seize the advantage in vital tie

Simply put, this game was a huge one for Cardiff. They were three points behind Brighton going into the tie, and Neil Warnock had the opportunity to put the pressure on the Seagulls. Three points would have been a huge boost, but Cardiff failed to seize the game as they would have wanted.

Warnock's team selection was doubtful, and he admitted later on that it might have hindered his side's chances of winning the game. Cardiff failed to assert themselves on the game, and Fulham looked the better side for large parts of the contest. The combative Harry Arter was missed in midfield.

Next week Cardiff will play Crystal Palace at home. If they play similarly in front of their fans, relegation could be confirmed as soon as next week.  Warnock will want a better response from his players, otherwise, his debut Premier League season would have a sore ending.

Sergio Rico stars to deny Cardiff

Despite Fulham's possession dominance, Cardiff had 8 shots on goal in the game. They concentrated on set pieces, and Fulham goalkeeper Sergio Rico had to be alert to the danger. He impressed, and it allowed his side to keep their third clean sheet in a row.
Embed from Getty Images

Fulham have conceded 76 goals this season, a tally which is the worst in the division. Their defence has been atrocious at times. The lack of organisation has been obvious, and changing personnel has severely affected their backline.

But they have improved of late. Rico made eight saves in the game, and some of them were impressive. He was a key performer as Fulham kept up their impressive run.

Too little too late for Fulham and Scott Parker

Fulham were relegated three weeks ago when Watford inflicted a 4-1 defeat upon them. That game mathematically confirmed the drop for the London side. It was inevitable, and Fulham had been resigned to dropping out for quite some time now. Despite having no motivation, the side has responded brilliantly.

They have won three consecutive Premier League games, compared to the four they had won before that in the season. Fulham and Everton were dispatched impressively and Fulham kept a clean sheet in both the games. Another clean sheet was in store for Cardiff, and interim boss Scott Parker must be delighted.

Parker has made a case for getting the job permanently by this run. The fans would have wished for these performances earlier in the season, as both Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri failed to impress. Parker looks favourite to be Fulham manager next season, and hopefully, he can replicate this form.

The Championship is beckoning for both sides

Both these sides were promoted this season, but a swift return to the Championship seems likely. Fulham spent a lot in the summer, but most of it did not materialise into points. A lot of it was wayward, and the signings failed to impress. Jokanovic was unable to implement his philosophy in the Premier League, and he was a bit too naive at times.

Cardiff were favourites before the season started to go out, and with good reason. They spent very little in the transfer window. Neil Warnock's side is limited in nature, and they have stuck to their plan admirably. In the end, the lack of quality has shown, and despite their grit and determination that will prove to be the major factor.

Cardiff still have a fighting chance to stay up, but it is highly improbable. Wolves have impressed upon their promotion, but Fulham and Cardiff will delve into the lower division again. The experience could make them stronger, but for now, they will have to bid goodbye to the Premier League in all likelihood.

https://90maat.com/fulham-1-cardiff-city-0-talking-points/

WhiteJC

KINGSTON: Fulham FC training ground

Fulham FC's new training facilities will be "comparable with other top flight clubs", claims the club as permission has been granted to begin work.

The new site, close to the existing facility in Motspur Park, will be used by the first team and under-23s – ending the current situation of overcrowding.

Fulham, set for relegation back down to the Championship at the end of this season, bought the current site while the club was in the third tier of English football.

Craven Cottage is hardly used for anything other than matches, and the club runs all other business from Motspur Park.

The existing site is limited by its size and the age of the buildings, and has left Fulham lagging behind other Premier League clubs.

Not having facilities like a hydrotherapy pool or underwater treadmills, the club argued in documents submitted to Kingston Council, are "essential in top level professional football grounds".

Fulham looked at leaving Motspur Park for a larger site further afield, in Elmbridge or Kingswood, but with the new development – on an old BBC staff sports ground – it will stay in the area and run across two sites.

The new ground will have five irrigated pitches (one with under-pitch heating), two areas for goalkeeping work and three ancillary training areas.

The main building will have gyms for fitness and rehab, medical treatment and physiotherapy rooms, cryotherapy and hydrotherapy, including a pool, hot and cold pools and a jacuzzi.

There will also be rooms for coaching, scouting, video and match analysis as well as security and kitchens.

The site was sold by the BBC in the late 1990s to become a private members club, but this was unsuccessful.

Other failed plans for the site included a crematorium, but the application was withdrawn.

In 2016, the pavilion building had to be demolished for safety reasons after being damaged in an arson attack.

Eventually, the site was bought by Fulham in 2017, who have been using it for training since 2018.

Building work will begin this summer, for the pitches to be used in the 2019/20 season. Other work will begin shortly afterwards.

https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/17605944.kingston-fulham-fc-training-ground/