more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06/05/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 06, 2019, 08:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sessegnon can become a vital piece of furniture at Spurs

The 2018/19 season was supposed to be the campaign in which Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon established himself as one of the brightest young talents in world football.

The 18-year-old was the driving force behind the Cottagers' promotion to the Premier League; he scored 15 goals and claimed a further six assists to help the club win the Championship play-offs under Slaviša Jokanović.

Offers were made last summer yet Sessegnon stayed loyal to Fulham. The stage was set for him to thrive in the top flight. But things quickly unraveled for club and player alike.

By November Jokanović had been sacked with Fulham in the relegation zone. Sessegnon, meanwhile, struggled to impact games and then lost his place in the side under Claudio Ranieri, Jokanović's successor.

The teenager was restored to the starting XI by Scott Parker, Fulham's third manager of the season. And there have been signs the England Under-21 international is getting to grips with Premier League football.

That upturn in form is encouraging, especially ahead of the summer. With just a year remaining on his contract, Sessegnon is expected to leave Fulham for pastures new. There are no shortage of clubs interested in him, either.

Juventus have been linked. Manchester United, too. His boyhood side, Liverpool, have also been touted as a potential suitor. The versatile wide player, however, wants a move elsewhere: Tottenham Hotspur.

According to reports, Sessegnon favours a switch to north London in order to work under Mauricio Pochettino, who has enhanced the careers of several young English players, including Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Harry Winks.

A potential fee of £35million is not one that would scare off Spurs, who haven't spent a penny on new players in either of the last two transfer windows, and Pochettino has spoken publicly about the need to enhance his squad this summer.

"Everyone says we have an amazing house but we need to put in the furniture," the Spurs boss said on Friday. "We need to be respectful with teams like Manchester City or Liverpool who spend a lot of money.

"We are brave, we are clever, we are creative. Now it's about creating another chapter and to have the clear idea of how we are going to build that new project. We need to rebuild. It's going to be painful."

Sessegnon can be the first piece of that rebuild. The big question would be where he fits into the Tottenham side. The youngster started his career at Fulham at left-back but was shifted forward because of his goal threat.

He has sporadically returned to a defensive role this term but has proven more effective further up the pitch – no 18-year-old in European football's big-five leagues have played more open play key passes than Sessegnon this term.

At Tottenham, Sessegnon would be competing for a starting berth alongside Alli, Son Heung-min, Lucas Moura, Erik Lamela and, if he doesn't depart for Real Madrid, Christian Eriksen.

Regular first-team football would be far from a guarantee. And when given an opportunity, he would need to take it. There are signs, however, Sessegnon can thrive in a side with greater quality.

He has claimed six Premier League assists at a rate of 0.25 per 90 – the seventh highest figure among top-flight midfielders to have played over 1000 minutes this term. From a Spurs perspective, only Eriksen (0.41) can better that output.

There is, of course, the potential for Pochettino to mould Sessegnon into Tottenham's future left-back. Danny Rose turns 29 years old this summer while Ben Davies, still only 26, has never truly convinced against the best sides in Europe and the Premier League.

In a side such as Spurs, who tend to control games, Sessegnon could evolve into a fine attacking full-back. His delivery from wide areas coupled with his ability to break into the penalty box with the ball would complement the creativity of Alli, who is regularly deployed on the left of the attack.

"At younger ages I was more attacking and had a striker role through the middle, but as I progressed they pushed me towards left-back," he told The Telegraph in 2018.

"I think they saw the energy and endurance that I have to get up and down the pitch and they just tried to change my game, more for my physical attributes than how I see the game.

"If you can play a variety of positions quite well it gives the manager the option to play you in that position, for one. And I don't think at a young age you know your position well enough so to have one or two is good."

A move this summer is likely to be a pivotal moment in Sessegnon's young career. He will need to make the right decision as to where his future lies, both on and off the pitch.

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/ryan-sessegnon-tottenham-hotspur?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=news-now

WhiteJC

Wolves and Fulham in the race for €20m defender, officials being sent today

According to a claim in the Turkish media, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham are interested in Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida ahead of the summer transfer window.

Since his performances in the 2018 World Cup, the Croatia international has been linked with a move to the Premier League, with Wolves and Fulham the latest English clubs reported to be tracking the player.

Wolves were also linked with Vida a few weeks ago after reports they made enquiries about the defender.

Fotomac today report Wolves and Fulham have sent scouts to Istanbul to watch today's game between Galatasaray and Besiktas with the intention to get a lowdown on Vida.

The Turkish media outlet says, via reports coming out of Croatia, Besiktas are looking to offload Vida this summer and will listen to offers in the region of €20m. The Istanbul club may need to sell players during the next transfer window due to FFP implications.

It's also reported the two Premier League clubs will face competition to sign the central defender with claims AS Roma, Sevilla and Espanyol are all tracking the Croatian.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/wolves-fulham-race-e20m-defender-officials-sent-today/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney: Scott Parker is the right man for the Fulham job

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has called for caretaker boss Scott Parker to get the job permanently.

The midfielder wants Parker to lead the Cottagers despite their relegation to the Sky Bet Championship last month.

Leander Dendoncker's late winner condemned the Cottagers to a 1-0 defeat at Wolves on Saturday, their 25th loss of the Premier League season.

It ended a three-game winning run but Parker has impressed since replacing Claudio Ranieri in February and Cairney wants him to manage the club full-time.

"I've said for a long time that I think Scott has done an incredible job and, in my eyes, I think he is the right man for the job," he told Sky Sports.

"The way he has got us playing in such a short space of time, in the hardest league in the world, is a credit to him. I believe he is the man to take us forward so we'll see."

Parker had also called for clarity with Fulham heading into their final game of the season at home to Newcastle next week.

He said: "Not just for me, as a club ahead of what's going to be a massive year, we need to have a clear idea of what way we are going to go.

"We're seven days away from ending the season and a lot of planning needs to go into next year. I'm sure it'll come in due course."

Dendoncker struck 15 minutes from time, volleying in Matt Doherty's cross having already hit the crossbar with a first-half header.

Diogo Jota also smacked the woodwork late on as Wolves moved closer to clinching seventh spot.

It would bring a Europa League qualifying spot if Watford lose in the FA Cup final to Manchester City.

Boss Nuno Espirito Santo said: "I'm proud of how we played every game. The draws, the games that we lose, the way we lose – even in the FA Cup, I'm proud of that, because it was a big moment for us.

"I'm proud of every minute, even the training sessions, every minute. The achievement is for the players because how we did things here is important. How we did it.

"We started with a squad of 18 – plus goalies, then in December we reduced the squad to 16, and these players made it.

"They made it and committed so much. I'm so proud of them that I can't express it in words. I can't express how proud I am of our team."

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/tom-cairney-scott-parker-right-man-fulham-job#4AobiG3KyfG3UskS.99

WhiteJC

Elliott: Still Sinking In!

Harvey Elliott is still pinching himself after making his Premier League debut for Fulham on Saturday.

On a disappointing afternoon for the team as we were edged out by high-flying Wolverhampton Wanderers, the teenager's introduction was a real positive, and yet another feather in the cap of our Academy.

Elliott enjoyed six minutes on the pitch at the end of the game, with Scott Parker insisting it was to try and influence proceedings rather than sentimentality - true praise indeed.

"It's not sinking in!" Elliott told fulhamfc.com in the Molineux tunnel post-match. "Maybe in the next couple of days.

"I'm over the moon, so happy and proud to be part of this Club, and hopefully we can achieve more things in the future. I was a little nervous but it was a very happy moment and a great experience for me.

"Most of my family was here; Dad, Mum, little brother, little sister, and my Uncle. They were probably more excited than me!

"Unfortunately we lost, but that's life, we've got next week now to go and prove ourselves again and hopefully we can get the win and finish the season on a high."

Elliott has been an unused substitute since the Everton win, but while keen to make his bow, he was just happy to see his teammates churning out win after win.

"Being on the bench, of course I've wanted to get on, but it's all about what's best for the team," he said. "The boys have shown last few weeks how good a team we are with three wins, so I was just happy that we kept winning and happy that we kept three clean sheets.

"The coaching staff are all top class. They're good, hard sessions, and that's showing in the games.

"We're playing better football, and that's thanks to the top class coaching staff and the efforts of all the boys.

"Like I said, it's unfortunate that we couldn't keep that going against Wolves, but we go again next week.

"When I came on Scott just told me to go and enjoy myself, do my thing, be fearless, don't take it for granted, and that I deserved it."

Elliott's introduction means that at 16 years and 30 days he is the youngest player to ever appear in the Premier League, breaking the record that's been held for the past 12 years by another Fulham man, Matthew Briggs.

And so the winger was quick to pay tribute to the role played by the Academy in his progress.

"Yeah it's a really good setup," he said. "Obviously it's not just me, the Club have shown with other people like Sess that if you're good enough then they'll give you the chance and you'll play, so you just have to keep performing, keep training hard.

"The Academy is so good, the structure is really good - it's top class."

Elliott's achievement is certainly one to be celebrated, but he will not be dwelling on it for too long. Not with another opportunity potentially awaiting when the curtain comes down on our season against Newcastle United next Sunday.

"Now I've got to get this game out of my mind's focus," Elliott explained. "I have to keep working hard in training.

"There's still one more game left so that's what we'll be thinking about next week."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/05/harvey-elliott-still-sinking-in

WhiteJC

Liverpool scouts impressed by 17-year-old Fulham defender Cody Drameh and prepare to make bid for teenager

Cody Drameh, 17, has played for Mark Pembridge's Under-23 Fulham team
    The England Under-18 international has one year left on his scholarship
    He likes to get forward and his style has been likened to Trent Alexander-Arnold

Liverpool are gearing up to make a move for Fulham's teenage right back Cody Drameh.

Drameh, not 18 until December, has played for Mark Pembridge's Under-23 team this season and Liverpool scouts have been left impressed.

The England Under-18 international has one year left on his scholarship at Craven Cottage and it is believed a fee would be reasonable. Frankfurt are also interested in the youngster.

Liverpool are gearing up to make a move for Fulham's teenage right back Cody Drameh

Pacey, Drameh likes to get forward and his style has been likened to Liverpool's current right back Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Former Ajax trainee Ki-Jana Hoever is operating at right back for the club's Under-23 team but his long-term future is likely to be at centre half.

Hoever has made one appearance for Jurgen Klopp's first team, away at Wolves in the FA Cup, and has the attributes to follow in the footsteps of Holland's latest commanding defender, Matthijs De Ligt.

Drameh, not 18 until December, has played for Mark Pembridge's Under-23 team this season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6994377/Liverpool-scouts-impressed-17-year-old-Fulham-defender-Cody-Drameh.html

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney – Fulham's perfect building block

One of my favourite kind of pieces to write are those with a story, where you have a clear start, middle and end. In football, these are particularly satisfying especially when telling the tale of new signings or a player on excellent form playing at his peak ability. In April of 2017, I did one of these on Fulham captain Tom Cairney and it's crazy to think of how the story has progressed in just a little over two years later. While the playoff attempt for Slavisa's side that season was unsuccessful, Tom Cairney was made full-time captain for the ultimate success, becoming the first Fulham player to score at Wembley and lead the club back to the Premier League.

The return to the big time wasn't quite what any of us had hoped. Tom Cairney, in particular, saw Slavisa Jokanovic, a coach he described as "giving me my best years" was sacked after a horrific start and was replaced by Claudio Ranieri, a coach who had no interests in utilising the strengths of the Fulham captain as Cairney spent a spell in and out of the side. Now under Scott Parker, a former team mate, Cairney has returned to the line up as more of a traditional no.10 in a 4231 and contributed his first goal of the season at home to Everton.

The improved mood around Craven Cottage was boosted further after the influential captain was announced to have signed an extension to his stay at Fulham. Whilst the realist will understand this new deal likely negates any relegation pay cuts and probably will make him one of the highest paid players in the Championship next season, the statement from both the club and player was much needed heading into a summer of uncertainty over the future of so many.

Fulham has become a home for the Scotland international, a club where he has played his best football, a club where he made his international debut, a club that gave him his first real taste at Premier League and a club where he became a father. And for Fulham, Tom Cairney became the identity of a footballing style, he may not be athletically blessed but Cairney is technically wonderful with the ability to thread through a perfect pass, dictate an entire game or bend in a beauty from outside the box. The feeling is very much mutual.

For Scott Parker, or whoever is in charge come July for pre-season, they will know that they will have one of the Championships best in midfield. Sure he's likely being paid handsomely for Championship standards, but the cost to replace the impact of a Cairney would not be cheap and we should welcome the fact that he wants to stay through thick and thin.

This coming season, Cairney will likely become the first Fulham player to play on over 200 appearances since 2014 and could overtake the likes of Chris Coleman, Simon Davies, Damien Duff and Sean Davis en route what will hopefully be a quick return to the Premier League. Cairney stated he hopes to finish his career with Fulham at Craven Cottage and his current contract would take him up to the traditional 10-year testimonial game of which he'll be 34 years old. While football is a business and things change from week-to-week let alone yearly, it's a huge statement for Fulham FC and keeping players and people of this mould at the football club is something we should yearn for.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/05/tom-cairney-fulhams-perfect-building-block/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Tom Cairney insists Scott Parker is the right man to take Cottagers forward

Cairney has been impressed with Parker's impact since taking over from Claudio Ranieri on a caretaker basis

Fulham captain Tom Cairney wants caretaker boss Scott Parker to receive the job permanently.

The midfielder wants Parker to be in charge at Craven Cottage next season in the Championship.

Leander Dendoncker's struck late to condemn Fulham to a 1-0 defeat at Wolves on Saturday, their 25th loss of the Premier League season.

The loss snapped a three-game win streak, but Parker has made a positive impact since replacing Claudio Ranieri in February and Cairney now wants him to keep the job full-time.

"I've said for a long time that I think Scott has done an incredible job and, in my eyes, I think he is the right man for the job," he told Sky Sports.

"The way he has got us playing in such a short space of time, in the hardest league in the world, is a credit to him. I believe he is the man to take us forward so we'll see."

Parker had also called for clarity with Fulham heading into their final game of the season at home to Newcastle next week.

He said: "Not just for me, as a club ahead of what's going to be a massive year, we need to have a clear idea of what way we are going to go.

"We're seven days away from ending the season and a lot of planning needs to go into next year. I'm sure it'll come in due course."

Dendoncker struck 15 minutes from time, volleying in Matt Doherty's cross having already hit the crossbar with a first-half header.

Diogo Jota also smacked the woodwork late on as Wolves moved closer to clinching seventh spot.

Scott Parker applauds the Fulham fans

It would bring a Europa League qualifying spot if Watford lose in the FA Cup final to Manchester City.

Boss Nuno Espirito Santo said: "I'm proud of how we played every game. The draws, the games that we lose, the way we lose – even in the FA Cup, I'm proud of that, because it was a big moment for us.

"I'm proud of every minute, even the training sessions, every minute. The achievement is for the players because how we did things here is important. How we did it.

"We started with a squad of 18 – plus goalies, then in December we reduced the squad to 16, and these players made it.

"They made it and committed so much. I'm so proud of them that I can't express it in words. I can't express how proud I am of our team."

PA Sport also contributed to this report

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-scott-parker-tom-cairney-next-manager-full-time-news-wolves-a8900416.html

WhiteJC

WBA need to sign Johansen

West Bromwich Albion need to do everything they can to keep Stefan Johansen at the Hawthorns as he is a player worth his weight in gold.

The 28-year-old's loan spell from Fulham hasn't been perfect by any means but at times he has wowed West Brom fans by being a class above.

Johansen was once again at his best against Derby on Sunday and while West Brom lost 3-1 to the Rams, the midfielder stood out for all the right reasons.

The midfielder was constantly a threat during the game and he even managed to score a show-stealing goal in the 47th minute that no doubt had Derby squirming about their chances of winning the play-offs.

Johansen's stunning goal didn't go unnoticed by Clinton Morrison, who was watching the game for Sky Sports' Soccer Special, as he labelled it magnificent.

"Yeah build up play on the left, Rodriguez plays the ball in and Johansen takes a touch at the corner of the box and he whips it around a Derby defender into the top corner past Kelle Roos and it's a magnificent finish," said Morrison (Sky Sports News, 13:36, Sunday May 5th).

Morrison may have only drooled over Johansen for his goal but his choice of words are very telling.

It's not often you hear the word magnificent used by a pundit but when Johansen is on top-form, it's really the only word that does him justice.

The 28-year-old is capable of doing the unthinkable as he has the magic ability to make something out of nothing.

Johansen's slow start to life at the Baggies could be put down to rustiness after not playing much for Fulham ahead of arriving but now that he has shown what he can do at top-form, West Brom should view him as must keep.

This means WBA, whether in the Premier League or the Championship next season, need to attempt to sign the midfielder permanently because as it stands he is set to return to Craven Cottage in the summer once his loan spell ends.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/05/blogs/championship/wba-need-to-sign-johansen/

WhiteJC

'This is my team, my club' - Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson responds to West Brom, Fulham and Brighton links

The Robins head coach wants to finish the job he's started at Ashton Gate

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson signs autographs for fans

Lee Johnson remains committed to driving Bristol City forward and isn't entertaining any speculation linking him with jobs beyond BS3.

Bristol City concluded a hugely impressive Championship season with a 1-1 draw at Hull City to finish eighth, their highest league position since finishing fourth in 2007/08 when Johnson was a player at Ashton Gate.

However, on the morning of the game, a report in the Daily Star on Sunday had claimed West Brom, Fulham and Premier League Brighton are all interested in the 37-year-old who has delivered season-on-season development for the Robins.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

West Brom have reached the Championship play-offs but are yet to appoint a long-term successor to Darren Moore who was dimissed in March. Fulham are still to decide on the future of caretaker Scott Parker following the relegation to the Championship while Brighton's top-flight status under Chris Hughton was secured on Saturday.

It is understandable that any club would be interested in Johnson who has turned City into a consistent and credible Championship promotion challenger with a modest budget through clever scouting, coaching, tactical work and excellent in-game management.

However, when asked about the report, Johnson said: "Bristol City s a fantastic club; this is my team, my club, if you like, and I'm focused on driving it forward and it's as simple as that.

"There's been ear on year progression, I enjoy going to work everyday and trying to drive the club on and leave the day with the club in a better position than what it was in the morning.

"And I believe we've done that throughout the tenure because of a lot of hard work from the staff and the players that we've been working with."

There does remain an element of uncertainty surrounding Johnson's long-term future at BS3 as the head coach has only 12 months remaining on his contract.

With the Championship season now concluded, and all the pressure and focus on reaching the play-offs subsiding, there is a clear and considerable window between now and the start of pre-season for the club and Johnson to enter talks.

Majority shareholder Steve Lansdown delivered a short address to fans on Saturday, ahead of the season finale, and on Johnson said: "The guys have performed really well this year and Lee has performed well as a manager this year."

When asked over if there were any signs of discussions on the horizon, Johnson said: "I don't know. You're asking the wrong man, to be honest, because it hasn't been mentioned at this point.

"Understandably, because all focus wants to be on this [the season] not negotiations, but I'm sorry, you're asking the wrong guy."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/this-team-club-bristol-city-2836150

WhiteJC

Liverpool Plotting A Move For This Fulham Teenager (Not Sessegnon): One For The Future?

According to a recent report by the Daily Mail, Liverpool are ready to make a move to secure the signature of Fulham teenager Cody Drameh this summer. The same source has revealed that the Reds sent out scouts who were left impressed by the youngster's performances for the Cottagers' Under-23 side during this campaign.

The 17-year-old had come through the youth ranks of Fulham and is currently on the verge of breaking into their first-team. Maybe the upcoming campaign in the EFL Championship could serve as an ideal opportunity for him to stake a claim for a regular starting berth at Craven Cottage.

Drameh's Success At The Youth Level

Drameh has enjoyed a solid season thus far and has transformed himself into an integral member of Mark Pembridge's Under-23 team. He is taking all the right steps towards fulfiling his potential. However, if an elite club like Liverpool comes calling for him next summer, then the chance to join them might be too good to turn down for the young right-back.

The English wonderkid has featured in 24 matches for the Cottagers' Under-18 and Under-23 sides this term, scoring one goal while grabbing two assists across all competitions. There is no doubt that Drameh has massive potential which is why he could turn out to be a shrewd acquisition for Liverpool in the long-run.

Will Liverpool Be An Ideal Destination For The Teenager?

At the tender age of 17, the London born talent still has a lot of time to improve his game and transform himself into a world-class full-back. However, Drameh is quite a raw talent at the moment, so he is not yet ready to fight for a place in Jurgen Klopp's first XI.

Moving to Liverpool could help the youngster as he would be able to work on his game under the expert guidance of Klopp. Furthermore, both Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez could serve as the perfect mentors for him which will enable him to work hard, learn from his seniors and fulfil his true potential.

Acquiring Drameh: An Investment For The Future?

As for the Reds, the Merseyside club has shown in the past that they are not afraid to invest in the youth to ensure sustained success at Anfield in the coming years.

https://the4thofficial.net/2019/05/liverpool-plotting-a-move-for-this-fulham-teenager-not-sessegnon-one-for-the-future/

WhiteJC

Fulham beating Celtic to land this 25-year-old Iranian star would be a good step forward by Scott Parker

Fulham opinion: The Cottagers should sign Milad Mohammadi

According to a report from the Scotsman, Fulham are interested in Akhmat Grozny left-back Milad Mohammadi, but face competition from Celtic and Bristol City.

The Iran international, 25, will be out of contract at Akhmat Grozny, where he has been a regular fixture in the team this season with 24 Russian Premier League starts. He has been a consistent in the Russian Premier League ever since joining from his hometown club Rah Ahan in 2016.

Milad Mohammadi's availability on a free transfer at the end of the season has alerted some clubs, including Fulham, who are preparing for life in the Championship.

The Cottagers have endured a dismal season in the Premier League after winning promotion last year. After sacking two managers – Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri, Fulham hired Scott Parker as the caretaker manager of the club until the end of the season.

Parker has managed to earn some positive results of late but that has proven to be too little, too late.

If Parker ends the season on a high, there is every chance of the 38-year-old getting appointed as Fulham's permanent manager. Should that happen, Parker should prioritise strengthening his team's defence over the summer.

Fulham have the worst defensive record in the Premier League, having conceded a staggering 76 goals with two games still to be played.

To make the squad efficient enough to return to the Premier League as quickly as possible, Parker has to bring in at least a couple of central defenders. Also, he needs to sign a left-back to replace Ryan Sessegnon if he leaves Craven Cottage.

Sessegnon, one of the hottest properties of Championship football last campaign, has been linked with a move away to a host of European clubs. It is very unlikely to see the teenage sensation stay put at Fulham for another year, especially with the west Londoners suffering relegation.

Joe Bryan has played as Fulham's first-choice left-back this season, but if Sessegnon departs, Scott Parker will need depth in the squad to challenge for the Championship title. That's when the signing of Milad Mohammadi would make utmost sense for the Cottagers.

Mohammadi is perhaps best known for his failed athletic throw-in during Iran's World Cup match against Spain. But beyond that, he is a well-rounded, dependable and versatile defender to have in the squad.

The Iranian is defensively diligent and a very good reader of the game. He is no slouch going forward either, often interested in making marauding runs down the left and whipping in crosses into the box.

The 25-year-old is also a clean tackler and rarely commits unnecessary fouls or picks up bookings. All in all, Mohammadi is exactly the player Fulham need to shore up their defence next season.

Verdict
Hence, signing Mohammadi stands as a no-brainer for the Cottagers and due to his availability on a free transfer, the deal would represent a massive coup for the west Londoners.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/05/06/fulham-beating-celtic-to-land-this-25-year-old-iranian-star-would-be-a-good-step-forward-by-scott-parker/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney praises Fulham's 16-year-old starlet Harvey Elliott and his 'frightening' self-belief

Elliott came on against Wolves on Saturday to become the Premier League's youngest-ever player - and Cairney believes he's got what it takes to be a success Credit:  Getty Images

Things that make you go 'wow'. He is just 16 years and 30 days old but when Harvey Elliott ran on to the Molineux pitch to become the Premier League's youngest-ever player, his team-mates were already reaching for the superlatives.

Having joined the action in the 88th-minute, with Wolves closing out their narrow victory, the London-born winger, who sits his GCSEs in a few weeks, had little opportunity to display his prodigious talents.

As Fulham prepare for a campaign back in the Championship, however, there should be ample opportunity to see what all the fuss is about.

Tom Cairney, the Fulham captain who has just signed a five-year contract extension, is already prepared to be amazed.

He said: "He's been sensation since he joined in training a few months ago. We see him maybe twice a week. He doesn't look out of place and does some bits of magic that everyone says 'wow.' His attitude and his belief in himself at such a young age is frightening."

The Premier League's previous youngest performer was another Fulham prodigy, Matthew Briggs, who made his debut aged 16 years and 65 days 12 years ago.

Such early promise is not always fulfilled – Briggs now turns out for Bostik Leaguers Maldon and Tiptree – but Cairney is confident Elliott has what it takes.

He said: "He's a tricky winger who plays in the hole. He's got a great football brain, an eye for goal and is a very entertaining player. Hopefully he will have a long and successful career."

Fulham have long since been relegated but have re-organised under caretaker manager Scott Parker and gave a good account of themselves against a Wolves side unbeaten at home for four months.

Had Aleksandar Mitrovic not blazed over with the Wolves goal at his mercy just after the hour mark, the match could have taken a very different turn.

As it was, Wolves stepped up a gear and 12 minutes later Leander Dendoncker drove home the winner following incisive build-up play from Joao Moutinho and Matt Doherty.

Doherty has provided eight goals and eight assists in Wolves magnificent return to the top-flight and the wing-back is dreaming they can crown their season by winning a Europa League place.

"Considering where we were two years ago it is pretty unbelievable how quick the change has happened. Some of the lads have played in Europe but a lot of us haven't so it would be a new experience," he said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/05/tom-cairney-praises-fulhams-16-year-old-starletharvey-elliott/

WhiteJC

Schwarzer's son signs for English club

The son of Socceroo great Mark Schwarzer has signed for English non-league club Harlow Town.

Julian Schwarzer spent two years in the academy of Fulham.

He was released by the Cottagers in June last year after playing for the club's Under-18s and Under-23s.

The 19-year-old then signed for German fourth side FC Pipinsried.

But the goalkeeper, like his famous father, left FC Pipinsried without playing a first-team match and has now joined Harlow Town.

The Hawks play in the Isthmian League Premier League, which is the seventh tier of the English football league system.

In March Schwarzer was involved in a training camp in Bangkok for the Philippines national team.

The keeper, who was born in the UK, has Filipino heritage through his mother.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/schwarzers-son-signs-for-english-club-524672?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ftbl+rss

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Shwarzer is not tall enough for higher grade football.

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 06, 2019, 08:42:34 AM

Liverpool Plotting A Move For This Fulham Teenager (Not Sessegnon): One For The Future?

According to a recent report by the Daily Mail, Liverpool are ready to make a move to secure the signature of Fulham teenager Cody Drameh this summer. The same source has revealed that the Reds sent out scouts who were left impressed by the youngster's performances for the Cottagers' Under-23 side during this campaign.

The 17-year-old had come through the youth ranks of Fulham and is currently on the verge of breaking into their first-team. Maybe the upcoming campaign in the EFL Championship could serve as an ideal opportunity for him to stake a claim for a regular starting berth at Craven Cottage.

Drameh's Success At The Youth Level

Drameh has enjoyed a solid season thus far and has transformed himself into an integral member of Mark Pembridge's Under-23 team. He is taking all the right steps towards fulfiling his potential. However, if an elite club like Liverpool comes calling for him next summer, then the chance to join them might be too good to turn down for the young right-back.

The English wonderkid has featured in 24 matches for the Cottagers' Under-18 and Under-23 sides this term, scoring one goal while grabbing two assists across all competitions. There is no doubt that Drameh has massive potential which is why he could turn out to be a shrewd acquisition for Liverpool in the long-run.

Will Liverpool Be An Ideal Destination For The Teenager?

At the tender age of 17, the London born talent still has a lot of time to improve his game and transform himself into a world-class full-back. However, Drameh is quite a raw talent at the moment, so he is not yet ready to fight for a place in Jurgen Klopp's first XI.

Moving to Liverpool could help the youngster as he would be able to work on his game under the expert guidance of Klopp. Furthermore, both Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez could serve as the perfect mentors for him which will enable him to work hard, learn from his seniors and fulfil his true potential.

Acquiring Drameh: An Investment For The Future?

As for the Reds, the Merseyside club has shown in the past that they are not afraid to invest in the youth to ensure sustained success at Anfield in the coming years.

https://the4thofficial.net/2019/05/liverpool-plotting-a-move-for-this-fulham-teenager-not-sessegnon-one-for-the-future/
No doubt Liverpool would want to pay peanuts and take all the credit when he turns into a top player. If he goes we need to be suitable reimbursed with future sell on/international call up add ons. If we get nothing for him what is the point in having an academy when all the good prospects get taken by the bigger clubs.

Woolly Mammoth

Best move is to reject all offers and keep Cody, allowing him the chance to turn out to be an England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 International playing for Fulham FC.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.