1 - 1 Huddersfield
Spurs
2 - 2 Everton
Watford
1 - 4 West Ham

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-4 Newcastle United

Jonjo Shelvey scored his first goal for Newcastle in more than a year

Jonjo Shelvey's fabulous strike helped Newcastle earn a comfortable victory at Fulham who said farewell to the Premier League with their 26th defeat of the season.

It was a yet another tale of good application by the Cottagers without much bite in attack, and a defence that underlined why they were the worst in the league this season.

The Magpies barely broke sweat for this 4-0 win.

Rafael Benitez's side were two goals up in a two-minute spell early in the match. Shelvey ended his year-long run without a goal with a thunderous half-volley from just inside the area before Ayoze Perez grabbed his 13th of the season when he tucked home after keeper Sergio Rico failed to adequately deal with Christian Atsu's shot.

Defender Fabian Schar nodded in the Magpies' third just after the hour mark before Salomon Rondon capped off his own brilliant display with angled strike which produced the loudest cheer of the afternoon.

The Magpies finish in 13th with 45 points, one more than they managed last season, and Scott Parker's side end their campaign in 19th and with 26 points.

Fulham's fragile defence suffers again
A penny for Scott Parker' thoughts as he stood in deep contemplation during the final stages of the match.

The former assistant was handed the top job permanently this week and with it the task of reinvigorating an expensively-assembled outfit that many expected to do well, but in the end failed to meet acceptable standards.

He said after his appointment that "success comes from a foundation, that foundation comes from a culture and setting standards on a daily basis".

In the first few minutes of the match, his side set high standards as they tested the visiting defence with balls flung in from both wings - Aleksandar Mitrovic went close with a header that drifted a foot wide of Martin Dubravka's post.

The ex-Newcastle striker also had a chance with another header that should have found the target but aside from that, and a good strike by 16-year-old substitute Harvey Elliott, the Slovak keeper had a fairly quiet day at the office.

It has been at the defence which has been been Fulham's Achilles heel. Every time Newcastle attacked, they looked liable to concede. Rondon's late strike was the 81st conceded in the league this season - five more than bottom club Huddersfield.

Top of Parker's summer shopping list must be a new backline.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48165990

WhiteJC

Parker Reaction

Fulham ended their Premier League campaign with a 4-0 defeat to Newcastle United at Craven Cottage, a result which disappointed new Head Coach Scott Parker.

The Whites were undone early on as two goals in two minutes from Jonjo Shelvey and Ayoze Perez saw them behind before second-half goals from Fabian Schar and Salomon Rondon secured a victory for the visitors.

Parker said: "The two early goals took the sting right out of us straight away, the world class strike firstly and I'm not sure the result reflects the game.

"We were lacklustre, and lacked a real conviction in the final third. Ultimately we were vulnerable on the break and struggled in that sense.

"There were some real pleasing things on my behalf in terms of the performance but some glaring things which stands out which we need to work on.

"Today gives us a clear idea of what needs to be done at the football club, I've said it before in this position. The Club needs a culture, it needs an identity and it needs foundations for us to be successful and that's what we're going to do.

"There is a big challenge ahead of us next season. Ultimately as a football club we drive standards and with the culture I suspect we'll have a very successful season and seasons after."

After signing a contract on Friday as the permanent Head Coach, Parker was full of praise for the owners and looks forward to working with them.

"The owners here are vitally committed to this team, they have spent and invested a lot of money into this team, I have no doubt they will be doing everything in their powers to keep the best talent and the best players so it gives us every opportunity next season," he said.

Parker now looks to bounce back with Fulham in the Championship but having spent time there as a player he will be under no illusions over how difficult the challenge will be.

"The league we're going in to is a tough league, it's a very, very difficult league which you see now has got teams in it which were established Premier League teams and struggling mid-table in the division.

"I think you understand the demands of it and how it's going to be, but my foundations are all about culture and I realise that's the only way we will be successful in that league is if we establish the culture so it's a big if for us but I'm really looking forward to it," said Parker.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/12/scott-parker-newcastle-text

WhiteJC

Fulham 'Till I Die

We are Fulham Football Club. London's Original football club. Together, we will rise again. #FULHAMTILIDIE

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/12/fulham-till-i-die

WhiteJC

Fulham press conference: Parker on Sessegnon's future, using the academy & the Championship

The Whites boss faced the press following a comprehensive defeat to Newcastle

Frustrating game, possession in the first half before their two goals

"It took the sting right out of us really. Obviously a world class strike first, I thought the whole game - I'm not sure the result reflects the game. In saying that we were lacklustre and lacked a real final third, lacked that conviction at times. We were vulnerable on the break and struggled in that sense.

"Some really pleasing things on my behalf in terms of the performance but some glaring things which stand out for everyone to see what we need to work on."

What do you take away from this season going into the summer?

"It has gave us some clear idea of what needs to be done in the football club. I've said it before I'm in this position, this club needs a culture, an identity and ultimately that needs to be our foundation for us to be successful.

"That's what we're going to do. Is there a big challenge ahead? Of course there is but ultimately as a football club we drive standards, we build a culture and I'll suspect we'll have a very successful season and seasons after."

Is the worry you will lose a lot of players?

"Yeah definitely. That is always going to be the case when you're relegated. You're always vulnerable to losing your best players and probably we'll be no different.

"In saying that, owners here who are vitally committed to this team and have invested a lot of money into this team. I have no doubt they will do everything in their power to keep the best talent and the best players so it gives us every opportunity for next year."

Harvey Elliott is coming through, will you rely on the academy next season?

"Yeah definitely, it's certainly something I believe in. Harvey is one of them players who obviously come into the frame and trains with us and at times when he comes on, you see today, the talent the boy has got, he's a 16-year-old boy who is doing his GCSEs next week, playing in the game today showed real confidence at times."

What changes do you need to make this summer?

"Standards. The standards need to go up at the football club. Standards need to rise in every department and every place. If the standards rise and me and my coaching staff are driving a culture here, I know we will be successful."

Are you already seeing that change?

"Yeah defintiely. You can win or lose football matches in this league definitely. Today we're on the wrong side of a 4-0 defeat and it's bitterly disappointing of course it is.

"Over the course of the eight to 10 weeks I've been in here there's been a real change. We lose 4-0 today not through a lack of effort, a lack of desire, a lack of passion. That's not the reason we lose 4-0, we lose 4-0 because there's certain elements we don't understand the situation of games and when the game becomes a basketball match for this team we're always going to be the ones on the end of it.

"We've worked on that over the last few weeks on game nous, about understanding moments in games and controlling those moments. Today at times we didn't control them well enough and ultimately that's why you're on the end of 4-0."

Do you expect Ryan Sessegnon to still be here, do you want him to be?

"Of course I would love Ryan Sessegnon to be at this football club. Ryan fits into the bracket of a few others and like I said it's going to be a busy summer in the sense of rebuilding and us keeping hold of players."

Is it practical or possible that you get promotion with this rebuilding?

"I think it's possible, I think taking away all the stuff we've talked about, the league we're going into is a tough league, it is a very, very difficult league that you see now has teams in it that were established Premier League teams and struggling in midtable in the division. I think we understand the demands and how difficult it's going to be but my foundations and the culture I talk about are the only way we will be successful.

"It's a big year for us and I'm really looking forward to it."

Should Benitez stay at Newcastle?

"Yeah he's done a fantastic job, the fans are calling his name the whole day and he's a world class manager."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-press-conference-parker-sessegnons-16264702

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-4 Newcastle: Jonjo Shelvey hits first goal of the season and Ayoze Perez continues fine form as Magpies fans urge manager Rafa Benitez to stay

Jonjo Shelvey scored his first goal of the season with a fine two-touch finish following a Newcastle corner
    Newcastle 2-0 up by 11 minutes after Ayoze Perez netted for the sixth time in last five Premier League games
    Fabian Schar headed in a third for Newcastle as they extended their lead further just after the hour mark
    Salomon Rondon completed the rout in second-half stoppage time in what could be his last Newcastle game
    Newcastle finished the season 13th in the league while Fulham ended it 19th having already been relegated

They were already well served from a booze cruise down the River Thames, but the Toon Army were drunk on love for Rafa Benitez come the end of a match which could yet prove his last as Newcastle boss.

'Rafa Benitez, we want you to stay,' implored the 3,000 travelling fans after a victory as comprehensive as the scoreline suggests against their relegated hosts.

Owner Mike Ashley was here to witness the serenading of the Spaniard but he is seldom in tune with emotions of supporters and, as such, his manager's future remains unresolved.

PLAYER RATINGS
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Rico 5; Christie 5 (Babel 65, 5), Marchand 5.5, Mawson 5, Bryan 6; Ayite 5 (Elliott 74), Chambers 7, Anguissa 6, R Sessegnon 5.5 (Kebano 82); Cairney 6.5; Mitrovic 6

Subs not used: Fabri, Ream, de la Torre, S Sessegnon

Booked: Bryan

Manager: Scott Parker 5

Newcastle (3-4-2-1): Dubravka 6: Schar 7.5, Lascelles 7, Dummett 6.5 (Kenedy 81); Hayden 6.5 (Fernandez 69, 6), Shelvey 8, Diame 6.5, Ritchie 7.5; Perez 7.5, Atsu 6.5 (Muto 65, 6); Rondon 7

Subs not used: Darlow, Clark, Cass, Watts

Scorers: Shelvey 9, Perez 11, Schar 61, Rondon 90

Manager: Rafa Benitez 8

MOM: Shelvey

Ref: K Friend 7

Attendance: 24,979

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7020383/Fulham-0-4-Newcastle-United-Relegated-Cottagers-thrashed-final-day.html

WhiteJC

Fulham player ratings vs Newcastle: Floyd Ayite shows promise as Sergio Rico struggles

Errors left Fulham with a long way to come back in their clash with Newcastle

Sergio Rico

Could do nothing about Jonjo Shelvey's strike but produced a tame save from Christian Atsu that allowed Ayoze Perez to claim the visitors' second. Dealt with a high looping ball passed back to him by Alfie Mawson early in the second period. His save from Salomon Rondon probably wasn't strong enough and hit a teammate to allow the striker to score Newcastle's fourth. 4.
Cyrus Christie

The defender was steady without creating a real impact in attack or defence. 6
Alfie Mawson

A very quiet first half from the defender and you perhaps would have hoped to see more from him or Le Marchand when AyozePerez found his way into score. A better performance in the second period with the ball however. 5
Maxime Le Marchand

Looked the more prominent centre back in the first half but also had a quiet afternoon. 5
Joe Bryan

Generally looked pretty solid going forward and defending but like his teammates struggled to find a key pass to unlock the opposition. 6
Andre Zambo Anguissa

The miidfielder played very deep and look to get on the ball to create something. Solid performance but unspectacular. 6
Calum Chambers

Like Anguissa he looked to receive the ball as often as possible but was pretty wayward early doors. Shifted into the backline when Ryan Babel entered the fray for Christie to show his versatility again. 6
Tom Cairney

The Fulham captain had a rapid start to the match and was playing further forward than Aleksandar Mitrovic at times. Produced an exciting relationship with Ryan Sessegnon and always had something up his sleeve. Struggled to get as involved in the second period. 7
Floyd Ayite

Ayite was a hive of activity in the first half and perhaps provided the greatest penetration of any Fulham player. Turned the ball in during the second half but was ruled to be offside. 7
Aleksandar Mitrovic

Was involved in a real battle with Jamaal Lascelles and competed well but was unable to win often enough to create a real chance. 4
Ryan Sessegnon

Like Cairney had a very lively start before Newcastle took the lead. Constantly put crosses is from the left byline and made himself available. Would be such an asset in the Championship if the Cottagers can keep him. Was swapped to the right hand side when Christie was substituted. 6

Subs

Ryan Babel  - Showed plenty off energy in the 25 minutes he was on the pitch but did not create too much. 6

Harvey Elliott - Managed to hold off Salomon Rondon on his way to a composed performance despite a few errant touches.. 6
Neeskens Kebano -  Struggled to make an impact in the short time he was on the pitch. 5

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-player-ratings-vs-newcastle-16263721

WhiteJC

Improbable Triumphs   
The night Fulham stunned Juventus: how Craven Cottage gave rise to a legendary European comeback

This feature is a part of Improbable Triumphs

The home advantage is something that is so often spoken about in football. Clubs across the world, no matter what level they play at, look to make their stadium a fortress. While it is important to do well at home, at times it can feel as though the importance of home form is slightly overstated.

Although there are obvious benefits of playing in your own stadium, such as having the fans on your side, it can be hard to tell how far the margins sway based on where the game is being played. One place and time that perfectly captured the value of home advantage was Fulham's Craven Cottage during the 2009/10 Europa League season.

It was the first ever Europa League campaign – after the name had been changed from the UEFA Cup – and Fulham were indomitable at home. They had beaten Lithuanian side Vėtra and Amkar Perm of Russia in the qualifying rounds to progress to the group stages. They then beat both CSKA Sofia and Basel, as well as earning a draw against Roma in their home games, which were integral in earning a place in the knockout rounds. That was followed by victory over Shakhtar Donetsk in the last 32.

Their away form had not been bad either. They had suffered defeats in Russia and Rome and drawn in Sofia and Donetsk, but won the rest of their matches. But it was their home form that was setting them apart from the pack. When the draw for the round of 16 confirmed Fulham would be up against Juventus, they knew they needed to make the most of the home tie, which was to be played during the second leg.

It must be said that this wasn't necessarily a vintage Juventus side, although their squad still included the likes of Fabio Cannavaro, Fabio Grosso, Mauro Camoranesi, Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezeguet (Gianluigi Buffon didn't play for them in the Europa League that campaign). They were certainly no slouches.

However, even with their home record, the Cottagers must have been doubtful of whether they could pull off a comeback after the first leg. Nicola Legrottaglie had opened the scoring in the ninth minute, with Jonathan Zebina adding a second before the half-hour mark. Dickson Etuhu's deflected effort had put Fulham back into the tie and offered them a vital away goal, though the required comeback became steep when Hasan Salihamidžić glanced the ball in during first-half injury time to make it 3-1.

Roy Hodgson would have told his Fulham players to make sure they got off to a good start in the second leg, but it couldn't have begun much worse. After Diego had fought for the ball in the box, it popped up to Trezeguet who fired it into the bottom corner just two minutes in. Fulham had already lost their away goal advantage and were now in need of four goals to go through without extra time.

They hit back quickly, though. Paul Konchesky sent a ball into the box that Bobby Zamora chested down and volleyed home in the ninth minute, restoring hope and getting the deficit back down to two goals. Hope turned into belief just before the half-hour mark as Cannavaro was given a straight red card for tripping Zoltán Gera when the Hungarian was running through on goal.

It was Gera who scored Fulham's second goal of the leg in the 39th minute. Zamora played a clever flick to Simon Davies, who got to the ball just before it went out and fired a low pass across the face of goal. Gera was on hand to finish the move off, sending the ball into the roof of the net from inside the six-yard box. Half time came with the aggregate score at 4-3 to Juventus. Despite being behind, there was a palpable feeling among supporters in the Cottage that Fulham were going to get back into the game.

Those feelings were far from wrong as it only took Fulham three second-half minutes to get the tie back on level terms. Damien Duff had played a ball that was destined for the back post but was blocked by Diego's outstretched arm. The referee gave a penalty and Gera emphatically hit the spot kick into the top corner, sending goalkeeper Antonio Chimenti the wrong way.

Chasing the goal that would send them through to the quarter-finals, Hodgson brought on Clint Dempsey for Stephen Kelly in the 70th minute. This would prove to be a masterstroke just 12 minutes later. Dempsey received the ball from Etuhu just outside the box with his back to goal. With Zdeněk Grygera and Zebina ushering him away from goal, it seemed he had nowhere to go. The sense of security couldn't have been falser, though, as the American international sent an exquisitely dinked shot into the far corner.

Craven Cottage erupted as Chimenti turned around in horror, just in time to see the ball hit the back of his net. Supporters went mad as Dempsey ran in celebration and gestured towards the badge on his chest. He had been brought on to do a job and that was exactly what he achieved – and it's fair to say there's probably very few who expected him to do it in such style.

Del Piero was brought on in the dying moments to try to force something for Juve, but the move was futile. Frustrations grew quickly for the Italian giants as the limited time they had to get themselves back into the game dwindled away. It was too much for Zebina, who was given a straight red card in the 91st minute for kicking out at Duff.

The final whistle signalled the culmination of one of Fulham's greatest ever triumphs. It wasn't the end of their Europa League run, though. They beat Wolfsburg 3-1 on aggregate in the quarter-final, before navigating their way past Hamburg in the semis thanks to a 2-1 home win. All this set up an encounter against Atlético Madrid for the final, though Fulham fell just short, losing 2-1 after extra time at the hands of a Diego Forlán brace.

Fulham have made the Europa League just once since then – in 2011/12 – though they were unable to get through a group containing Twente, Odense Boldklub and Wisła Kraków. That their triumphs on the European stage in 2009/10 have come in such an isolated incident make them all the more glorious. Though it was not the last victory of that campaign, the one against Juventus is the greatest and most memorable of them all.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/05/13/the-night-fulham-stunned-juventus-how-craven-cottage-gave-rise-to-a-legendary-european-comeback/