News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How much can we realistically get for the current players on our books?

Started by Southdowns White, May 14, 2019, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

Has anyone got made a comprehensive list of our current first team squad who we actually own and are under contract and how much if sold each player is worth. Of course there is a lot to take into account such as who would seriously take some of them off our books and actually pay money for them. As far as I can see we have Sess and Mitro who would bring in good money but beyond that how much of the £100 odd million can we get back to invest in new players without simply letting players go for peanuts.
I really can't see half of squad being up for life in the Championship, is it better that we clear out all the players who have not been good enough up to now rather than hope they come good?

Twig

For those recently purchased players it's not a case of what we can get but how much we would lose. As has been explained on here several times, player transfer fees are amortised over several years, so a sale significantly below the purchase price can mean a net outgoing on the books not income.

Barrett487

Slightly off topic, i know, but we'll benefit from parachute payments for a couple of seasons. This will hopefully ease the depreciation of the likes of Seri.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/truth-parachute-payments-how-fulham-16274230

In 2006, the Premier League introduced parachute payments to the three clubs relegated at the end of the season. Under the scheme, a proportion of certain revenues offered to Premier League clubs is given to relegated clubs for a set period of time. The Premier League pays out in multiple streams, including an equal split for all teams, known as the basic award fund; an amount depending on how many times a team is shown on TV; and a merit payment system depending on where a club finishes in the league (the higher the finish the higher payout, unsurprisingly). Clubs also take an equal share of international broadcasting revenues, from contracts signed with overseas broadcasters, as well as central commercial revenues.

A club relegated this season will receive 55% of both the Premier League's basic award fund and international broadcasting revenues.

This was worth around £41.5million for 2018/19, based on these streams being worth approximately £75.6million to Premier League clubs.In the second season after relegation, the parachute payment drops to 45% of the two streams – worth around £34million.

And in the third its 20% – or approximately £15million. However, a club that only plays one season of Premier League immediately before relegation is not entitled to the third season payout, like Cardiff City and Fulham in the most recent season.

filham

A number of our players were on loan so we will lose them without bringing in a penny.

In spite of a bad season I would expect big fees from premier league teams for Mitrovic, Sess. and Seri. This money alone, if spent wisely, should be enough to bring in solid players capable of patching up our poor team and making it suitable for a mid table Championship place.

We will not produce a great team by quickly splashing money in the transfer market, we now have to rebuild slowly and carefully and try to make as much use as possible of home grown talent.
The bright hope on the horizon right now is young Elliott.

The Rational Fan

Transfermarkt estimates £177m, i'd reduce Seri by 17m, Sess by 5m, Anguiisa by 5m and Fabri by 3m so probably around 147m, which is still £30m more than anyone else in the Championship next season.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Southdowns White on May 14, 2019, 01:28:00 PM
Has anyone got made a comprehensive list of our current first team squad who we actually own and are under contract and how much if sold each player is worth. Of course there is a lot to take into account such as who would seriously take some of them off our books and actually pay money for them. As far as I can see we have Sess and Mitro who would bring in good money but beyond that how much of the £100 odd million can we get back to invest in new players without simply letting players go for peanuts.
I really can't see half of squad being up for life in the Championship, is it better that we clear out all the players who have not been good enough up to now rather than hope they come good?

Realistically the only players we can clear out are profitable players (ie Mitro and those that came up with us), we can loan players out but that only really allows us to loan players in and not buy them. Parchate Payments are effectively for our PL players, once we start selling them off the parchate payments almost disappear with the player. Personally, i'd be playing players like Seri, because if you loan him out we'll be paying him more than we get from the club loaning him. While selling Seri would probably be more stupid than using him as a bench warmer or reserve bench warmer due to FFP.

If we lose money off any player sold that is where are parchate payments go. The sad truth is we either keep Cairney and Seri, otherwise we sell Cairney. If we must play Cairney and cannot play both, the we either put Seri on the bench or loan him out and loan someone in. FFP makes it virtually impossible to sell the players we bought this season and buy others. Some players like Seri would cost so much to clear out, we would have sell other players like McDonald and Johasen to cut the wages bill. If Seri doesn't want to play Championship, he can play PL2 (as the overaged player in the u23s).