Main Menu

nfr aston villa

Started by ALG01, May 14, 2019, 10:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

3 play off games in a row they have an opposition  player sent off
all deserved but strange nonetheless

Nick Bateman

1st leg was completely underserved - Graham Scott must have been a Villa fan from a previous life.  Surprised that goalkeepers like to dive out of the way of penalties, if they did that in normal play they would let in 100s of goals a season.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

glenhodgso

I assume at Wembley they will need to arrange two opponents to be sent off......

grandad

The Villa GK was jumping around every time.I thought his feet had to be stationery at the time the pen was taken. A GK can wave his arms & sway from side to side but the feet must be planted.
Where there's a will there's a wife

JoelH5

That's given me a lot of optimism for next year. The quality in that match was shocking.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Sting of the North

Quote from: grandad on May 14, 2019, 10:51:30 PM
The Villa GK was jumping around every time.I thought his feet had to be stationery at the time the pen was taken. A GK can wave his arms & sway from side to side but the feet must be planted.

I think they changed that rule many many moons ago. I believe they are allowed to move sideways (or backwards) as much as they like, but obviously not forward. Unless they changed the rules again.

Sting of the North

Quote from: ALG01 on May 14, 2019, 10:35:43 PM

I agree, kind of. Think Odoi's first yellow was completely incorrect. The second was correct though.

Syd Cupp

In a way I hope that Villa go up so that I dont have to witness Jack Grealish next season.
He may have some good flair and playing skills but his dives, Injury feigning and bad tackles
for me always outstrip his positives.
Plus he seems to have gained the John Terry moan to the ref attitude on just about anything.

Andy S

I think Villa have had all their luck in the first leg I think they will get beaten at Wembley for the second year running. However should they win they will struggle as we did

bog

They keep on banging about about Jack Grealish. If they do make it will he sink or swim?   :022:

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on May 15, 2019, 08:30:03 AM
They keep on banging about about Jack Grealish. If they do make it will he sink or swim?   :022:

092.gif

He has a dinghy and a lifebelt.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

092.gif

I am fairly sure that he will have no trouble adapting to the PL. Class player, regardless of whether you like him or not.

toshes mate

Disagree with you about Gayle from the first leg, which meant they lost him for a further two games.  Brunt deserved his two yellows but with Gayle on the pitch who knows what may have happened?

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 15, 2019, 08:45:50 AM

092.gif

I am fairly sure that he will have no trouble adapting to the PL. Class player, regardless of whether you like him or not.
For sure he is a class act in the Villa side but his team have to get to the PL first, and that may prove quite tricky for them against either of the teams playing tonight.  I wasn't impressed by what I saw from Villa in their two play off matches thus far both against ten men for some of the game.

peter w

You have to remember that in both games Albion packed their defence and midfield trying to nick a goal from either the counter or from a set-piece. That's what they did twice. Only one team tried to play football but Albion stuck to their Pulisball principles and tried to stifle the game. As for the sendings off - Gayle was rightly shown the second yellow. The challnege was no better than a 40-60 against him when he caught Steer. 15 or so minutes earlier after his first booking he was lucky to not get another yellow when he went straight through the back of someone. Then he tried to pull a bamford by going down as if smashed by a sledgehammer.

We weren't at our best, no, but difficult to play against a team that try to stop you playing football first and then nick something second. You could say that football was the winner...

ALG01

Quote from: Sting of the North on May 14, 2019, 11:01:38 PM
Quote from: grandad on May 14, 2019, 10:51:30 PM

I think they changed that rule many many moons ago. I believe they are allowed to move sideways (or backwards) as much as they like, but obviously not forward. Unless they changed the rules again.

That is correct but you cannot move forward from the line, in fact I thought you had to stay on it until the kick was taken. In the old days the keeper had less chance because his feet had to be still and why grobbelar's antics were so interesting in putting off the taker.

ALG01

Quote from: toshes mate on May 15, 2019, 08:46:29 AM
Disagree with you about Gayle from the first leg, which meant they lost him for a further two games.  Brunt deserved his two yellows but with Gayle on the pitch who knows what may have happened?

i thought even the wba manager conceded gayle may have been harshly treated but he was stupid with the second yellow incident... never give the ref a decsion to make unless it is absolutely vital.