more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR.Literature achievement.

Started by Russianrob, May 15, 2019, 06:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: Barrett487 on May 15, 2019, 07:35:44 PM
I've just started 'Catcher In The Rye', just in case I want to become a serial killer 😂. I'll let you know how I get on!

Edit: actually, I've just recalled that those associated with buying this were just obsessive, rather than aggressive, lol

Wasn't John Lennon's killer carrying a copy when he murdered the singer? or he claimed to have been influenced by it anyway.

But a classic of growing up and teenage angst, very influential - in a good way.

RaySmith

If you enjoyed War and Peace - you don't say if you did or not, you should enjoy the same author's Anna Karenina, which I think is brilliant, though my wife didn't like it.

Also, Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

Vasilly Grossman's Life and Fate is a modern War and Peace, covering WW2 and the Holocaust, and and Stalinist persecution in Russia. I found this compelling reading.

The Rational Fan

I'd read the book about a "Boy Pip that moves to Hammersmith", it has been made a movie 51x which i believe but haven't verified is more than any other book ever (except the Bible). The book is written by Charles Dickens and it's called "Great Expectations" and while the book is based partly in Hammersmith it accidentally describes the season for any boy in the Hammersmith End too.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Similar 'style/books
My biggest challenges but captivating
LES MISERABLES  - Victor Hugo  A huge book but a lot more about Thenadier looting the bodies at at the Battle of Waterloo  :0)
PILLARS OF THE EARTH  - Ken Follett
Also by Ken Follett "WORLD WITHOUT END" set about 150 years after POE.
Both made into TV Series but as per usual, the books by far exceed the TV/Movie
DR ZHIVAGO - Boris Pasternack
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD - THOMAS HARDY

FINALLY ANYTHING AND EVERTHING BY CHARLES DICKENS

Goodness knows why schools etc teach William Shakespeare instead of Dickens
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

The Railway Detective series of books by Edward Marston,through to book seven now.
Set in Edwardian times.

SWSixer

Quote from: ron on May 15, 2019, 10:21:16 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce.

As a clue to its complexity it took him 7 years to write it. An amazing parallel to the work by Homer.

I admire you finishing this. I read about 40 pages and gave up.

Did you actually enjoy it?

SWSixer

A couple I've read lately and would recommend;

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan
Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi

Art Vandelay

If you like long books then Stephen King's uncut version of the stand is a great read and comes in at a whopping 1152 pages just shy of war and peace.

The Old Count

Around 1970 a lot of girls seemed to have a copy of Leonard Cohen's Beautiful Losers in their handbag.

Russianrob

When you finally finis War and Peace it feels like an achievement.Crime and Punishment my all time favourite but have been addicted to Russian literature (in English) for about 30 years.Best British author is ...?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Russianrob on May 16, 2019, 09:55:04 AM
When you finally finis War and Peace it feels like an achievement.Crime and Punishment my all time favourite but have been addicted to Russian literature (in English) for about 30 years.Best British author is ...?

Charles Dickens
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Kentish Gent

Dixie

The Count of Monte Christo is easily the best book i've ever read (followed by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series)
+1 for To Kill a Mockingbird and Far from the madding crowd as well

Bit surprised that nobody has recommended a book about Fulham... I have a couple of encyclopedia types, but are there others i should check out? Biographies?
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

N_O_W_S

Very much enjoying Legends of the Condors Heroes series if you like historical fantasy.

Otherwise early Wilbur Smith and the Courtney Family series are amazing.

snarks

Quote from: SWSixer on May 16, 2019, 06:40:50 AM
A couple I've read lately and would recommend;

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan
Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi

Homegoing, not the most uplifting story but my partner enjoyed it.

As for my twopennyworth

I like the Anthony Beevor books about WW2, Stalingrad and Berlin are very good.

Bill Bryson's autobiography - the life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid had me laughing out loud on my own

Claire North - The first 15 lives of Harry August

Khalid Hossemi - The Kite Runner and 1000 splendid suns

jarv

The ball is round by david goldblatt.  A history of why football is the mot popular sport around the world and how it took hold everywhere, including some obscure places you would not think of. Also, it addresses the social structures and effects on the game (and the people)  in many different countries not only the 19th century but prior to that. An in depth book, over 900 pages.  I found it in a used book store here in America so not sure how easy it will be to find. (It cost me 50 cents).

ps, Fulham get a mention early on as they were in the second wave of a few teams to join the founder members of the league.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on May 16, 2019, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Russianrob on May 16, 2019, 09:55:04 AM

Charles Dickens

Great Expectations... Still my fav all time book.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ron

Quote from: SWSixer on May 16, 2019, 06:39:40 AM
Quote from: ron on May 15, 2019, 10:21:16 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce.

As a clue to its complexity it took him 7 years to write it. An amazing parallel to the work by Homer.

I admire you finishing this. I read about 40 pages and gave up.

Did you actually enjoy it?

I've worked through it twice, but have to say that I had the companion volume; "The Bloomsday Book" by Harry Blamires at my elbow throughout. It provides insight into the sheer depth of the book and its constant references to the classical work by Homer.
Without it, Ulysses is daunting. My hat is off to you for managing 40 pages flying solo!