more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 17/05/19...

Started by WhiteJC, May 17, 2019, 08:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Brede Hangeland Column

The Premier League season has ended, and there is no hiding from the fact that Fulham had a disappointing campaign. We never really found momentum and rhythm in the most challenging league in world football, and hopefully many lessons have been learned. I think overall the approach on the pitch was brave but bordering on naïve, and we were never able to strike the correct balance between attack and defence, and ultimately paid the price in the form of relegation.

However, all is not doom and gloom. The squad seems much more balanced than what was the case after our last relegation in 2014, and there is every chance and a realistic hope of a swift return back to the Premier League. Even still, I am sure the coming weeks will be busy for the people working behind the doors at Motspur Park. Deciding who is staying and who is going, along with looking for additions to the squad, is absolutely essential work in the quest for a strong season in the Championship.

On that note, the timing in the appointment of Scott Parker was good. He now has the time and control needed to influence these processes as he looks to put together the best possible squad for next season. In my opinion, the basic question for any player now is does he want to give his all to help the Club in the push for promotion? The Championship is a very tough league, and strength of character is essential.

It was evident again last week, watching the on-pitch celebration of Liverpool (after beating Barcelona) and Manchester City (after winning the title), that even football at the highest level is first and foremost about a bunch of guys achieving greatness together. No external motivation, be it money, fame or power, will ever beat the feeling of togetherness that a successful team has. I was lucky enough to experience this feeling many times in my career, most notably at Fulham, and these experiences of togetherness is what sticks with you later in life. I think it is very clear that while top players of course need talent, physique and attitude, the most important trait is a willingness to do it for the team. Those top players at Liverpool and Manchester City have every reason to get carried away by all the external forces, but they remained loyal to their team values and success was their reward.

I know Scott Parker thinks about football in the same way, and he will look for the above traits when making decisions on which players to rely on next season. He will also work very hard on the identity of the team, making sure the performance is recognisable and predictable from game to game. I wish him and the staff the very best of luck for the work ahead.

A few interesting trends in modern football might be worth noting. In addition to a certain character in players, the top teams led by the top managers (Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino) have developed a type of football that has been labelled press-and-possess. Through superior skills and organisation, the top teams in the country slowly but surely squeeze the opposition while they wait for the deciding moments in matches. They keep the ball extremely well and win it back early after having lost it. There are a great number of statistics showing this development over recent years, in categories such as possession, speed and pressing. While this impressive playing style certainly requires individual ability, for me it is very clear that it first and foremost requires a very coherent approach in coaching. Nothing is left to chance and everything is prepared. Football is a physical game, but the top level is a meeting between bright minds both on and off the pitch, in a continued process of improvement.

As for all of us supporting Fulham, we can only hope for magic sparks once again in SW6 next year. Supporting your club is a bit like life in general, there are ups and downs but it's well worth staying for the ride. I count myself very lucky to have arrived at Fulham many years ago, and the bond is forever unbreakable. I must also thank the Club for having given me the opportunity to share my thoughts with you during this season, and I hope some of you found it useful. Unfortunately I am not able to carry on writing the column next season, as there are simply not enough hours in a day to have the required level of understanding of the Championship on top of all the matches I must watch in my TV job. But we will of course see each other again. On Putney Bridge, in Bishop's Park or at the Cottage. We will always be at the Cottage, cheering the team on, through thick and thin.

Come on Fulham!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/may/16/the-brede-hangeland-column

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer plans and Mitrovic future discussed by club legend

Fulham need to sort out their defence before looking to add wide players to the squad in an effort to bounce back from Premier League relegation, according to Gordon Davies.

Scott Parker's men were relegated from the top flight despite a record-breaking summer where they spent more than £100million on players.

They sacked two managers before giving Parker the full-time job after he excelled as interim head coach and the former midfielder will now be charged with building a team capable of winning promotion for the second time in three years.

Fulham's record goal-scorer Davies, who in a word backed top-scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic to stay at the club next year,

"I think you've got to start from the back," Davies told The Fulham Fans Show (Wednesdays 8.30pm-10pm).

"Obviously with the goalkeepers we have Rico, who has been in goals all season.

"He will be going back as far as I'm concerned and I've heard a rumour that Fabri is going to be sold.

"So we are going to get Bettinelli probably back in as No 1 and about time.

"Then I think he's got to settle for a back four and they've got to be worked and worked defensively because this year we've needed to score three goals to win a game and you can't do that week in, week out.

"Next year, I think a good campaign is going to be based on defending properly and you've got to find a middle four or a middle three depending on how he wants to play.

"But, even if we go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, he's got to find a consistent back four that defend as a unit and defend as individuals because we've been all over the place this year.

"Midfield-wise, he needs to find out where he's going to play Cairney and if he wants to play him further forward because he can create.

"Then he's got to look at the wide people and I think the wide areas are important because we definitely need pace in the side and players who can take people on.

"It's a bit like Babel. Babel has been the best player in the second half of the season because at 32, he's still got pace and he can beat a player.

"If you are not going to pass through teams by playing football, you need someone a bit like Harvey Elliott when he came on, we had two shots on goal and one came from Harvey Elliott. So, he's obviously got an eye for goal and an eye for a chance.

"We want some youngsters to come in, give them a chance but I think the back four needs some consistency. We need wide players with a bit of pace and I think we need somebody closer to Mitrovic who is going to help him next season and score 15 or 20 goals.

"We can't rely on Mitrovic just to be the one striker who's going to score 25 or 30 goals next year."

https://www.lovesportradio.com/news/love-sport-exclusives/fulham-transfer-plans-and-mitrovic-future-discussed-by-club-legend/

WhiteJC

Mills pinpoints problem with Spurs' Sessegnon move

Danny Mills has inadvertently pinpointed the main reason why Tottenham Hotspur should not sign Ryan Sessegnon in his column saying he would be a great addition, as per Football Insider.

What's he said?
Spurs have been heavily linked with Sessegnon in recent days.

The BBC claimed on Wednesday that the club will bid for the Fulham full-back-cum-winger in the coming weeks.

However, Mills does not believe that the 18-year-old is good enough defensively to play as a left-back and has instead urged Spurs, if they secure his signature, to deploy him further forward on the flank.

He said: "I see him as an attacking player rather than a left-back, as he has a lot to learn defensively.

"He looked great in the Championship but the Premier League is a totally different level."

A major issue
Sessegnon is not going to dislodge Heung-Min Son from the starting XI at Spurs.

He clearly has a high ceiling and has impressed even while playing in a genuinely terrible Fulham team throughout the 2018-19 season.

But there is little point in Spurs prioritising the signing of yet another attacking player when they really need a defensive overhaul.

It is at left-back and right-back where the most investment is required and, with Danny Rose surely likely to stay, the club should be looking at potential targets to replace Ben Davies.

Sessegnon, as Mills said, is not that player; Spurs would be better off looking elsewhere this summer.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/tottenham/mills-pinpoints-problem-with-spurs-sessegnon-move

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: End Of The Season Review Part One

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, we reviewed the Fulham season in a different way, We focused on many different talking points dealing with recruitment, coaching, the dressing room problems, and injuries. This is a supersized episode, as there was so much to discuss in this show.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/5/17/18628574/cottage-talk-end-of-the-season-review-part-one

WhiteJC

Man United signing this £30m English speedster would be a disaster for both parties – opinion

Manchester United Opinion: Red Devils join the race for Ryan Sessegnon – Good move?

According to a report in Telegraph, Manchester United have joined Tottenham and a few other big clubs in the race to sign young Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon in the summer transfer window.

It is confirmed that the 18-year-old will leave Craven Cottage this summer after his club got relegated in their first season back in the Premier League (h/t Telegraph). Along with United and Spurs, French champions PSG and German side RB Leipzig are also interested in him.

Despite the fact that the teenager would prefer to play under Mauricio Pochettino in north London, interest coming from other sides could lead to a bidding war once the transfer window reopens (h/t Telegraph).

Sessegnon was one of the star players for Fulham in their Championship season leading up to the Premier League. However, the Cottagers' struggles in the top-flight didn't help the player to further enhance his reputation.

However, he is still expected to cost around £30million this summer (h/t Telegraph).

Here's why Manchester United shouldn't look to sign the 18-year-old and look elsewhere for squad recuperation:

United need better signings in other areas of the field

Manchester United's season was a disaster. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his men have a big summer ahead of them and each step taken should be done with care in order to bring respectability back to the club.

No doubt that the lack of Champions League football may hurt them in their recruitment process. However, there is one thing this club always has – attraction and money.

Hence, they should use that to improve in other departments rather than signing Ryan Sessegnon, who is either a left-back or a left-winger.

With Luke Shaw now the first-choice left-back and the Glazers being adamant that they will keep left winger Anthony Martial (h/t Mirror), spending £30m on the Fulham man would make no sense.

The Red Devils should focus on spending to sign new midfielders, centre-backs and if possible, a new striker.

Furthermore, as mentioned above, even the 18-year-old is more interested in working with Pochettino at Tottenham.

Read more Manchester United news, click here – Manchester United latest news

Conclusion

Looking at the perspective of both the club and the player, it is better that they stay away from each other. It can lead up to a mismatch of interests in the future.

https://soccersouls.com/united-join-the-race-for-ryan-sessegnon-good-move/