watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Interesting video highlighting how poorly run we are

Started by RogFFC, May 17, 2019, 09:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogFFC

Great (partially) Fulham related video on YouTube, talking about strategic planning in football. Watford and Fulham used as the two main examples of how to run a club well and how to run a club poorly (no surprises for which one we are).

Worth a Friday evening watch if you have a spare 5 minutes, Tony Khan take note!

049:gif

YoungsBitter

Interesting short. Makes you wonder whether its a Post Grad project or someone pitching their animated PPT skills?
So was it Slavisa's fault the squad cohesion was broken or was it the current villain of the piece, according to most on here, Mr Tony Khan who signed the improved players that broke the cohesion?
The real blunder was probably hiring Ranieri, the 'risk free' appointment. The guy had no relationship with the club, its tradition, its way of playing or its players. His appointment was the real break with what had been built over the previous 2 years. Scott Parker, for all of his naivety, at least has the sense to realize what we are and how to get back to what we have been doing best.
It will be intriguing to see whether TK gives him the right tools (RB, CB, DM, RW) on the right terms, loans vs purchases.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Woolly Mammoth

When it comes to TK, don't hold your breath, SP will get no support from the chairman's son, TK is a liability and an itch you cannot scratch under the armpit of the club.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Steeeeeeeeeed

They do some great football videos that lot, first came across them when they had one on Sessegnon about 18 months ago.... (Dere ya go...)

https://youtu.be/zhrONEuUtgA

Some very interesting historical and quirky football stories too, as well as team strategy break downs. Very much worth a look through their videos.

Mitch

The premise is good, but its thr same old 'Fulham signed too many players and didn't let their existing players play' trope that we all know is bull, because of the loan and resultant squad size issue. That's still a TK problem, but just frustrates me to see it trotted out again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Andy S

If only football was as simple as they portray it. Sorry but it isn't and never has been

ALG01

Interesting analysis, albeit a bit two dimensional.
I think we would all more or less agree about long term stuff.
What it didn't say or even hint at is when an amateur tries to implement an inappropriate disruptive system, meaning an alternative from the recognised norm of successful  running of a club, and it is based on nothing more than the amateur believing his own hype and has a shed load of money that his dad is willing to throw away, then that is outside the video. Because what we have is allowing proven incompetence to continue unabated. You would never usually have to factor that in.

toshes mate

As good a piece of simple advice as you'll ever get from academia. 

Perhaps there is a moment when the philosophy of this video shoots over the heads of some of those who watch it, rather than grounding them straight away through its gifted wisdom of determining whether professional football in a league system is, by definition, an infinite or finite game.  If you do not understand how that decision can be and is made about football clubs (as distinct from individual games), and the reason's why, then you'll be forever barking up the wrong tree, perhaps as the Khans have been and are doing.  It isn't about what happens today it is about what you determined to be the way to go a long time ago. 

Should be required viewing until you get that one key message firmly entrenched in your head, and then the rest will simply fall into place.   

RogFFC

Quote from: Mitch on May 18, 2019, 07:59:26 AM
The premise is good, but its thr same old 'Fulham signed too many players and didn't let their existing players play' trope that we all know is bull, because of the loan and resultant squad size issue. That's still a TK problem, but just frustrates me to see it trotted out again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Do we ALL know it is bull?! The amount of people who were absolutely drooling at the end of the Summer transfer window to me highlights that modern fans (generally not just at fulham) thirst for short term gains, is definitely a factor in pushing the Khan style model of signing numbers and sacking often. It's pretty obvious that Parker will get stick if he loses a few early on when in reality he needs time to grow and implement his style (whatever that may be)... we are unlikely to go up next season IMO, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad season if we have a better team for a more sustained spell in the prem in 2 or 3 seasons? Welcome to challenges on that view however and we definitely should be top 8 at a minimum.

Mitch

I'm not sure we're following the same point to be honest, Rog? Of course fans get excited by signings - when you're told someone is good, you anticipate it. That doesn't necessarily make fans short termist.

My point was that Fulham weren't wrong to buy a large number of players - it was essential. The regret is how we got ourselves into a position where our squad of players contracted to FFC was so small.

That does feed into the 'infinite' point within the video - short term planning.

Statto

After the releases of Markovic, Babel and the loanees, we still have 20 first team players on permanent contracts. That doesn't seem small to me.

I've no problem with our use of the loan market this year or last year. The problem was we didn't take the opportunity to make those loans permanent where appropriate.

So yes, we needed to make 12 new signings at the start of this season as a consequence of loans coming to an end, but they didn't need to be new faces. If we'd signed (or rolled-over the loans for) Kalas, Targett, Norwood and Piazon instead of signing Le Marchand, Bryan, Chambers and Vietto, along with Button instead of Fabri, and Mitro, then the player turnover and incohesion would have been much lower.   

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Mitch on May 18, 2019, 11:13:28 AM
I'm not sure we're following the same point to be honest, Rog? Of course fans get excited by signings - when you're told someone is good, you anticipate it. That doesn't necessarily make fans short termist.

My point was that Fulham weren't wrong to buy a large number of players - it was essential. The regret is how we got ourselves into a position where our squad of players contracted to FFC was so small.

That does feed into the 'infinite' point within the video - short term planning.

Following on from that point, the option stood to bring in potential world class players and as such rip up the squad as we knew it , or to bring in a squad full of players of similar or less quality.
I think fans wouldn't have been happy either way and Feeds back into the longer term planning, where we need to build a strong squad and supplement it with exciting loans instead of building a team of loanees

YankeeJim

Seems like a long winded way of saying "sustainability".
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

toshes mate

There is a key moment in the video where, talking about Watford, there is a mention of their very own definition of success and suggests fifteen years in the PL finishing no less than eighth is, to them, being very highly successful, regardless of seeing star players leave for richer pickings, or managers and coaches etc moving on.  Their 'football game plan' is what dictates all that they will do in terms of recruiting players, managers, fostering supporter loyalty and having a worthy source of younger players via their academy.  The video commentary uses the word 'reactionary' to point the finger at short term thinking - don't react to ups and downs of football but simply make sure you are recruiting the right staff with the right potential for the job, and see how you must change methods for better recruitment outcomes.

The video is really saying a) make your plan; b) adhere to it with every decision made and c) do not change anything without being sure the overall plan can be maintained via that change.  It is really about keeping the tendency to panic under control because that is when bad decisions are made.