watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Pep Guardiola

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, May 18, 2019, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Obviously he's a superb manager, but do the clubs he's been at flatter to deceive his ability?
Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. All, arguably the richest clubs in their respective country. He's been given a relative open cheque book wherever he's been.
Could he do it at Fulham? Or Hull? Etc.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Brightster#2

I think so. He is a wonderful motivator, gets the best out of great players consistently. People always say Mourinho is better, but likewise he has had some of the best teams, with the most money, and has struggled, because of his negative Park the bus tactics. I think Pep is country miles ahead. He also plays the exact system that Slav wanted us to play to perfection.

Statto

Agree with the OP. Personally I reckon he's well overrated and has chosen a very easy career path.

A bit like Sebastian Vettel and some of those other drivers in F1 history who only won in the best car with team orders telling their teammate to stay behind them.

His domestic record is comparable to Mourinho's but winning the Champions' League with Porto (Porto!) and Inter is better than anything Guardiola's done. So is Hodgson getting us to the Europa League final for that matter.

Yes he's a good motivator but so is Neil Warnock... in fact when it comes to pure motivation, I suspect Warnock is better. 

hovewhite

Don't know the awnser,what I see is a team always well instructed,who work as hard for each other and off the ball harder.of course big money players who have the best ability and desire to win every game, competition.
And that starts that desire and belief ,will to win comes from Pep the manager.

Nero

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 18, 2019, 06:05:28 PM
Obviously he's a superb manager, but do the clubs he's been at flatter to deceive his ability?
Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Man City. All, arguably the richest clubs in their respective country. He's been given a relative open cheque book wherever he's been.
Could he do it at Fulham? Or Hull? Etc.

But could Warnock do it with that squad, yes hes had money but he was a Bara for 4 years won 14 trophies and they didnt want him to leave and they dont tend to be forgiving in Spain. Would he win the treble with Fulham probably not as the teams with money would buy the nest players would he have a team playing to the same standards yes as he demands it, you close down and chase back, Would we be top half probably would we be selling players for millions where he has improve them again probably

ALG01

i ask the same question but usually get the answer it's horses for courses. what would have dario gradi done at barcelona?

Luka

Mourinho couldn't get a tune out of De Bruyne. Pepe got him playing like Oasis at the O2
If you get a chance just watch the series about ManCity and Pepe on Amazon to see how good he is at it.
Not sure he is the best tactician in the game but he is a superb man manager and let's  the players to do the rest. He is a manager for top teams that already have the underlying talent on board.
He is definitely not as turd polisher.

Statto

Quote from: Luka on May 18, 2019, 09:06:59 PM
If you get a chance just watch the series about ManCity and Pepe on Amazon to see how good he is at it.

Have done. Personally think he looks like a prat doing that crouching thing and all the other silly theatrics for the cameras.
I can't stand Warnock but find this far more inspirational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVdfDa-PJSc

Luka

Quote from: Statto on May 18, 2019, 09:12:26 PM
Quote from: Luka on May 18, 2019, 09:06:59 PM

Have done. Personally think he looks like a prat doing that crouching thing and all the other silly theatrics for the cameras.
I can't stand Warnock but find this far more inspirational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVdfDa-PJSc

Warnock wouldn't get me out of the trenches, Pepe probably would.
Each to their own.

Woolly Mammoth

That's the big difference money, that's what makes the difference, there are plenty of good and better motivators, but it's the money and the open cheque books that makes the difference.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

I can guarantee he wouldn't have beaten Wally Downes achievement this season

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Statto on May 18, 2019, 06:40:00 PM
Agree with the OP. Personally I reckon he's well overrated and has chosen a very easy career path.

A bit like Sebastian Vettel and some of those other drivers in F1 history who only won in the best car with team orders telling their teammate to stay behind them.

His domestic record is comparable to Mourinho's but winning the Champions' League with Porto (Porto!) and Inter is better than anything Guardiola's done. So is Hodgson getting us to the Europa League final for that matter.

Yes he's a good motivator but so is Neil Warnock... in fact when it comes to pure motivation, I suspect Warnock is better. 

Mourinho never got his teams playing anywhere near as well as Guardiola's.

I Ronic

After retiring as a player (some of it playing in Johan Cruyffs "dream team") he was manager of Barcelona B for one season then Barcelona at 37. Has he been lucky managing three of the biggest clubs in football, maybe but that's not his fault. His record is outstanding.
I don't think he could do it at Fulham but that wouldn't be his fault. The resources and size of the three clubs he has managered allow that kind of success, it's in their DNA. If he were at Fulham he'd probably get performances from players and coaches that few other people could. Would be interesting to see if at some point in his career he chooses a lesser club to ply his trade.
Personally I think he's head and shoulders above Jose.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 18, 2019, 09:28:00 PM
That's the big difference money, that's what makes the difference, there are plenty of good and better motivators, but it's the money and the open cheque books that makes the difference.
£100m didn't make the right difference for us last season.

Skatzoffc

Yes.

And no he couldn't do it without the money.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I wonder if he'll spend as big as the others now they've won the treble. Or will they go for the quadruple.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

SG

Quote from: filham on May 19, 2019, 10:30:50 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 18, 2019, 09:28:00 PM
£100m didn't make the right difference for us last season.

That was a one off. He would spend that on one player now. Hundreds of millions spent over a protracted period virtually guaranteeing success. Not particularly impressed given they have almost certainly breached FFP in an underhand way and are backed by a Government that is dictatorial and misogynistic