watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Six Confirmed Rule Changes to Come Into Effect in 2019/20

Started by love4ffc, May 20, 2019, 06:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Not sure if everyone has seen these new rules or not.  Like them or hate them they are coming for next season.

Article sourse from:
https://www.90min.com/posts/6371766-premier-league-six-confirmed-rule-changes-to-come-into-effect-in-2019-20

Premier League: Six Confirmed Rule Changes to Come Into Effect in 2019/20

As has been well-documented, VAR will be introduced in the Premier League for the first time next season which - in theory - should help officials manage the game much more effectively.

However, VAR isn't the only change we should be anticipating in the Premier League next season. The International Football Association Board (IFAB) have approved a number of changes to the current laws of the game which will come into force on June 1 2019, meaning that the Premier League will have to become accustomed to an array of new rules.

Here are six rule changes which will be enforced in the Premier League in 2019/20.

Handballs
Goals will now be ruled out in cases where the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand before crossing over the line and, if a player has accidentally handled the ball and created an advantage or subsequently scores, they will be penalised with a free kick.

Free Kicks
Attacking teams will no longer be allowed to have a player lining up in a defensive wall as, when a wall of three or more players is constructed, an attacking player will not be allowed to stand within one metre. The change has been made as an attacking player's presence in a wall is not deemed to be within the 'spirit of the game'.

Penalties
It's not all good news for goalkeepers, however. Officials will be much more stringent when it comes to penalty kicks next season as keepers must have at least part of one foot on or in line with the goal-line when the spot kick is taken.
In addition to this, keepers will also be prohibited from moving on the goal-line or from touching their goalposts.

Substitutions
In an attempt to reduce the amount of time-wasting that occurs during the later stages of matches, players won't be able to get away from taking themselves over to the opposite side of the pitch before being substituted.

Players will now be made to leave the pitch at the nearest point on the touchline, preventing them from slowly walking the length of the pitch before being taken off.

Yellow and Red Cards for Managers
The more outspoken managers in the league will have to watch themselves next season, as they will be punished in the same manner as their players for testing the patience of officials.

Managers will be awarded yellow and red cards for any poor behaviour on the touchline and if, in the event of a touchline melee for example, the offending individual cannot be identified for punishment, the senior coach who is in the technical area will be the default recipient.

Drop Balls

The drop ball rule has been a bit of mystery for quite some time, but it now looks to be a thing of the past.

Next season we will not be seeing any contested drop balls and the ball will simply be returned to the team who last touched the ball before play was halted. If the game was stopped in the penalty area then the ball will be given to the goalkeeper.

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

bobby01

No problem with any of them, but will they be enforced, especially for Colin.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

_Putney_

Not sure about the keeper moving on the line... if that's not 'fair' then should a player be able to sell any kind of dummy on a run up?

SG

I thought they also changed the law that states from a goal kick the ball must exit the 18 yd box. From next season it doesn't need to go out of the box

filham

They all sound reasonable to me although I still expect strong appeals about handball decisions.

MikeTheCubed

QuoteFree Kicks
Attacking teams will no longer be allowed to have a player lining up in a defensive wall as, when a wall of three or more players is constructed, an attacking player will not be allowed to stand within one metre. The change has been made as an attacking player's presence in a wall is not deemed to be within the 'spirit of the game'.

Seems unusual to me. What happens if a team is awarded a free-kick and then one of their players immediately goes and stands 10 yards away in the direction of the goal? Will the defending team be barred from forming a wall around them or will the attacking player be asked to leave their position?

SuffolkWhite

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Syd Cupp

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on May 20, 2019, 07:20:05 PM
QuoteFree Kicks

Seems unusual to me. What happens if a team is awarded a free-kick and then one of their players immediately goes and stands 10 yards away in the direction of the goal? Will the defending team be barred from forming a wall around them or will the attacking player be asked to leave their position?

Its going to be interesting when a free kick is given for a back pass.
It will be like a penaltly with a wall...!!

Syd Cupp

Three rules I'd like to see changed are...

1 - Throw ins  - to be taken from where the ball went out. Not using the place of where the ball went out as a starting run up.

2 - The ball placed in the quadrant on corners and goal kicks. I know that the ball is OK if it touches the outside edge of the marking, but more often than not on the side with no linesman its outside as no official to see it.

3 - If a player goes down injured to the point of play having to be stopped. Then player after treatment or just gets up must go off for 90 secs for injury recovery. This is aimed to stop feigning injury. 

70sPimlico

Quote from: Syd Cupp on May 20, 2019, 07:53:55 PM

3 - If a player goes down injured to the point of play having to be stopped. Then player after treatment or just gets up must go off for 90 secs for injury recovery. This is aimed to stop feigning injury.

If a player is injured, the ref can wave a medic on and he is considered not in play and treated on the spot. When ok, he must go off the field at the nearest point until waved on by the ref.

If they can treat a player on the pitch in rugby, they surely can in football. Overnight that will stop feigning injury.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

The way I see it is, handball is handball. None of this "ball to hand" nonsense. You either ban a ball hitting a hand/arm, or you don't. There shouldn't be a grey area. Actually a pet peeve of mine.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Ged

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 20, 2019, 10:33:47 PM
The way I see it is, handball is handball. None of this "ball to hand" nonsense. You either ban a ball hitting a hand/arm, or you don't. There shouldn't be a grey area. Actually a pet peeve of mine.
So you could deliberately kick the ball to hit somebody's hand in the area to get a penalty

Bill2

The Rational Fan

4. I'd like to see a rule that if a player gets a head injury with no subs left, then a player from the bench gets randomly selected (maybe using a dice) to come in for him.

love4ffc

Quote from: Bill2 on May 21, 2019, 01:01:08 AM
Is this a wind up?
Sadly these changes are not a wind up. 

So you could deliberately kick the ball to hit somebody's hand in the area to get a penalty
Yet this is already happening. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Mince n Tatties

The best one is,if you think you don't agree with the result at the end of the game you can try and get it changed by going on a march with some friends.
Now where have I seen this before. :023: :023: :023:

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Syd Cupp on May 20, 2019, 07:53:55 PM

1 - Throw ins  - to be taken from where the ball went out. Not using the place of where the ball went out as a starting run up.

I would like to see a bit more emphasis on throw ins. As you say sometimes the advantage gained by the dark arts of walking along the line with the ball, a staggered start feigning looking for options or the ridiculous theatre of dropping the ball, wiping it and gaining up to ten yards. I am slightly bitter about it as we are rubbish at it. However worse than all of that is the total disregard of the technical aspect of a throw in. We have seen some break all the rules unpunished now to the point where coaching it at grass roots level is becoming really sloppy.

toshes mate

These are all the rule changes made by the IFAB as they will in future appear in the Rules of the Game for referees etc.  Note the additions and the ones about the team winning the toss and, as someone else mentioned, the ball is now in play from a goal kick immediately after it is touched. (https://www.the-ra.org/news/ifab-law-changes-2019-2020)

Agree with those arguing for tighter controls on legitimate throw ins and where they are taken from.  I am really surprised they have not tidied up the offside rule to make it clearer about what constitutes interfering with play (any attacker in the penalty box in an offside position for example).

ALG01

Actually, it never used to be an issue. If the ball hit your arm or hand it was obviously an accident or unavoidable or yiou were protecting your face or delicate parts no ref gave it... now those things are often given. I think handball has to have an element of intent. Personally i think the 'sportsmanship' element has gone out of the game and the players have caused this stuipd state of affairs with their loathsome cheating ways.

Carborundum

I look forward to the first instance of a substituted player pretending to forget the new rule about departing the pitch, so heading 20 metres towards dugouts then theatrically playing the "deary me I forgot" card to head back in the opposite direction.  Will happen and probably in the first round of games.