watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Jamie Oliver

Started by bobby01, May 22, 2019, 08:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

He doesn't seem to be such a ridiculous Mockney as he used to be.

simplyfulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 22, 2019, 04:42:39 PM
I wouldn't want to belittle anyone else's info but having worked with him for a few years now and was close to people who worked with him since his first cookbook, people only had good things to say about him. Very passionate guy, keen, ambitious, energetic verging on the irritating but overall, a guy whose heart is in the right place. He's also a very good chef to boot. I've never been on the other side of his business personality ie him buying stuff from us so maybe he's different there but I wouldn't say some of the stuff above is accurate.

Yeah I'll second that. Again not from personal experience but my other half works with people who have had huge involvements in a lot of his books.

All that comes out of that is how much of a decent guys he is and there is plenty of anecdotes to back that up.

Milo

Thought the restaurants always flattered to deceive. Good decor, good idea, mediocre food. Surprised they lasted this long!

Twig

Many years ago we went to the pub in Essex that he and his parents used to run.  Food was terrific. 

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I wouldn't want to belittle anyone else's info but having worked with him for a few years now and was close to people who worked with him since his first cookbook, people only had good things to say about him. Very passionate guy, keen, ambitious, energetic verging on the irritating but overall, a guy whose heart is in the right place. He's also a very good chef to boot. I've never been on the other side of his business personality ie him buying stuff from us so maybe he's different there but I wouldn't say some of the stuff above is accurate.

I've heard the exact opposite. 
I heard he was only offered a TV deal because he was "a bit ruff around the edges". He was bottom of his class as culinary school.
I also know a chef that worked underneath him and he said he is the worst one he worked for. Nice enough bloke apparently, just a very untalented chef.
I never ate in his places but people who have, have said it's vastly over priced, overrated and not to bother.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

grandad

I detest all these types of restaurants. Over priced, food arranged with their hands, hardly enough on the plate for a couple of mouth fulls. My wife & I owned a village pub & no food was handled. We gave proper food in good portions at sensible prices.
I have no sympathy for people who pay fortunes for poncy food.
Where there's a will there's a wife

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: grandad on May 23, 2019, 11:23:32 PM
I detest all these types of restaurants. Over priced, food arranged with their hands, hardly enough on the plate for a couple of mouth fulls. My wife & I owned a village pub & no food was handled. We gave proper food in good portions at sensible prices.
I have no sympathy for people who pay fortunes for poncy food.

Surely all good is handled at some point.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

FFC1987

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 23, 2019, 11:23:18 PM

I've heard the exact opposite. 
I heard he was only offered a TV deal because he was "a bit ruff around the edges". He was bottom of his class as culinary school.
I also know a chef that worked underneath him and he said he is the worst one he worked for. Nice enough bloke apparently, just a very untalented chef.
I never ate in his places but people who have, have said it's vastly over priced, overrated and not to bother.

I can only tell you what I know. Those statements, in my opinion, aren't true. He's a good, talented chef but maybe not the absolute best, knows how to market his brand well (in his books). I've eaten at fifteen for the last 3 christmas do's and its a very cool place with good food. BUT I wasn't a fan of Jamie's Italy. Thought it was a bit dated, pretentious, lacking in atmosphere and really, not memorable. As I said before, i wouldn't want to belittle others information or contacts but I've literally worked with the guy and don't agree with a lot of whats been said.