watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Johnny Haynes Stand, what now ?

Started by Riversider, May 23, 2019, 08:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

For many years I stood in The Enclosure before moving to a seat in Block C , but let's face it the stand is barely fit for purpose in the 21st Century, terrible crowding at half time, poor facilities, many restricted view seats,,
So my question is this, how many J.H.S season ticket holders on here will be looking to move to The Riverside Stand in 3 seasons time and how many will remain in The J.H.S no matter what ?
Are you a leaver or a remainer ?

The Enclosurite

Definite remainer.

Stood in the enclosure and now sit in my nice comfy wooden seat.  Not sure I'll be able to afford the Riverside stand anyway even if I wanted to move.
¡COYW!

flyingfish

Quote from: The Enclosurite on May 23, 2019, 09:06:59 AM
Definite remainer.

Stood in the enclosure and now sit in my nice comfy wooden seat.  Not sure I'll be able to afford the Riverside stand anyway even if I wanted to move.

Exactly, I imagine cost will be the main determinant for most people. The current riverside is already too expensive for me.

Does anyone know if the new RS facilities will be available to non RS ticket holders before the game? Will I be able to enter the ground for the HE from there, or still from Stevenage Road?

The Enclosurite

Quote from: flyingfish on May 23, 2019, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: The Enclosurite on May 23, 2019, 09:06:59 AM
Definite remainer.

Exactly, I imagine cost will be the main determinant for most people. The current riverside is already too expensive for me.

Does anyone know if the new RS facilities will be available to non RS ticket holders before the game? Will I be able to enter the ground for the HE from there, or still from Stevenage Road?

Hopefully they will price it wisely as it would be pointless building a great big fancy new stand that is not full every week due to extortionate ticket prices.
¡COYW!

mrmicawbers

Been a Season ticket holder in Johnny Haynes H block for many a year and have lots of friends and family in and around there.  We all move in mass don't think will be moving to Riverside.What would be interesting is if the club let you upgrade from time to time for the experience. We have done this over the last few seasons and have done Corporate in the boxes which was great.

The Enclosurite

Quote from: mrmicawbers on May 23, 2019, 09:31:25 AM
Been a Season ticket holder in Johnny Haynes H block for many a year and have lots of friends and family in and around there.  We all move in mass don't think will be moving to Riverside.What would be interesting is if the club let you upgrade from time to time for the experience. We have done this over the last few seasons and have done Corporate in the boxes which was great.

I would definitely be tempted to maybe take in a friendly or a cup game in the stand just to see what it is like.
¡COYW!

N_O_W_S

Quote from: Riversider on May 23, 2019, 08:12:18 AM
For many years I stood in The Enclosure before moving to a seat in Block C , but let's face it the stand is barely fit for purpose in the 21st Century, terrible crowding at half time, poor facilities, many restricted view seats,,
So my question is this, how many J.H.S season ticket holders on here will be looking to move to The Riverside Stand in 3 seasons time and how many will remain in The J.H.S no matter what ?
Are you a leaver or a remainer ?

Unfortunately i think the options for the JH Stand are severely limited by the listed nature of the building and roof. Although, being listed does not mean that improvements couldnt be made to all those bits you list above. I do think it needs some love and attention.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I was in the Riverside Stand before we went to Loftus Road and moved to the JH Stand when we returned.
One never knew who you would be rubbing shoulders with in the Riverside sitting close to celebs and former players working as scouts for other clubs watching players or clubs and although the view was better I grew to prefer the JH stand for financial and practical reasons. Win or lose it is so much quicker to be out and on your way home from the JH stand and as age creeps on that is an important factor.
Preservation Orders can be an advantage or a big disadvantage and there is not much that the club can do with the JH stand when their hands are tied.

toshes mate

I am not sure how far the protected status of Stevenage Road facade goes but I do know the protection includes the turnstiles mechanisms.  I imagined the decision to maintain the wooden seats was a gesture by the Club to preserve the Johnny Haynes Stand in as much of its former glory as possible rather than being a direct responsibility of the stewardship of the protected status.  I would imagine there would be latitude for a well considered and well managed rebuild which retained all of the important architectural features but gave improved amenities for an increased capacity.  Is the roof and rest of the build aside from the facade and turnstiles protected?  I don't know the answer to that.

The original Enclosure was my preferred place to be once the open terraces were divided by a stand, and, to this day, I wish the option to stand or sit had remained a choice at all football grounds and I cannot for the life of me understand why safe standing has not become accepted practice.

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on May 23, 2019, 01:30:50 PM
I am not sure how far the protected status of Stevenage Road facade goes but I do know the protection includes the turnstiles mechanisms.  I imagined the decision to maintain the wooden seats was a gesture by the Club to preserve the Johnny Haynes Stand in as much of its former glory as possible rather than being a direct responsibility of the stewardship of the protected status.  I would imagine there would be latitude for a well considered and well managed rebuild which retained all of the important architectural features but gave improved amenities for an increased capacity.  Is the roof and rest of the build aside from the facade and turnstiles protected?  I don't know the answer to that.

The original Enclosure was my preferred place to be once the open terraces were divided by a stand, and, to this day, I wish the option to stand or sit had remained a choice at all football grounds and I cannot for the life of me understand why safe standing has not become accepted practice.

When I was on a tour of the ground a few years back I was told that the wooden seats are part of a. Extensive listing and that if one seat wears out it or is damaged it has to be replaced like for like.

The Swan

I sit in the Johnny Haynes on a plastic seat.
The Swan

The Enclosurite

Quote from: The Swan on May 23, 2019, 06:24:44 PM

You really are missing out.  The wooden seats may get laughed at by other fans but they are so much better quality than the cheap flimsy plastic seats.
¡COYW!

SP

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on May 23, 2019, 01:07:44 PM
I was in the Riverside Stand before we went to Loftus Road and moved to the JH Stand when we returned.
One never knew who you would be rubbing shoulders with in the Riverside sitting close to celebs and former players working as scouts for other clubs watching players or clubs and although the view was better I grew to prefer the JH stand for financial and practical reasons.

I think they were our glory years in the Riverside with the likes of Jacko, Martina, Hugh & Tony Curtis dropping by.  Now it's more likely to be a celeb fan & his leary mates from the away team.

hovewhite

JH stand is listed isn't it.if so business as usual!

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on May 23, 2019, 05:44:38 PM
When I was on a tour of the ground a few years back I was told that the wooden seats are part of a. Extensive listing and that if one seat wears out it or is damaged it has to be replaced like for like.
Please forgive the deliberate ambiguity of my original post, Twig, but I was being as mischievous as I could be with the politics of listed buildings.  The whole stand, the contents of the stand, and arguably the Cottage 'appear' to be covered and yet the legality of the listings coverage is wholly misleading.  FFC were, after all, compelled to alter the Enclosure of the JHS to the political dictated all-seated environment against the unique Archie Leitch feature of a mix of standing and sitting spectators under the same roof! 

English Heritage make such dilemmas even more difficult to dissect and unravel when you look at the proposed Stonehenge Tunnel which was first suggested when the A303 became the preferred arterial route to the south west (i.e. ahead of the A30 which runs all the way to Land's End) in the early 1950's when private motor vehicle was beginning to expand.  The tunnel was discounted as being unnecessarily environmentally destructive to a hugely rich area of heritage at that time, and yet now English Heritage prefer Stonehenge to be 'out of sight' of passing motorists, traffic and travellers, as their eyes light up at the prospect of rich admission fees to view the monument.  There are alternative measures but they mean developing costly alternative routes to the south west at a time when motor cars are under challenge for other reasons.   

As I say it is all very political and ambiguous; after all the wooden seats would have to repaired under safety rules to pass inspections.

filham

Before we went to Loftus Road I was always on the Hammersmith Terraces but moved to the JH Stand on returning to the all searer Cottage.

So I will remain, much to soon to consider yet another change.

The Enclosurite

I'm hoping for some small improvements now after the £60 increase on my season ticket!  ;-)
¡COYW!

Twig

Quote from: The Swan on May 23, 2019, 06:24:44 PM

But I think that would be the lower tier which used to be standing so not subject to a preservation order.

Take Me Home MAF

Not enough toilets, have to go out on 40 mins if you want to get yourself a drink at halftime, can barely move down the concourse when its crowded...

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not a chance I would leave my wooden seat in Block D for anything.

Best ground in the world.