https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2021, 10:37:20 AM
Quote from: filham on September 02, 2021, 10:07:05 AM
The stand is looking so impressive but what a shame there will no be a bum on any of those seats until next August.
I do understand there is now a lot of internal work to be carried our and safety inspections to be undertaken but you would think a small section of a few hundred seats could be made available in advance for a deserving few.
Well come on wooly what is the seat number, suspect it could be 10001 which is above the top row and they are reserving an early seat in heaven for you.

To be fair to the club I have already received my seat number.

cookieg

I think watching a game up with the gods has got to be done when the stand is open. Where I sit in the JH I can't even see the top of the stand.

Holders

It's truly a wonder that we ever got planning permission for that height.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

shepperton white

I do wonder (and hope) they have plans to change at least the roof on the JH stand.  I realise it a listed building so there will be problems with the beurocrats but really the current roof is a little out of place

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on September 03, 2021, 10:30:20 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 02, 2021, 10:37:20 AM
Quote from: filham on September 02, 2021, 10:07:05 AM
The stand is looking so impressive but what a shame there will no be a bum on any of those seats until next August.
I do understand there is now a lot of internal work to be carried our and safety inspections to be undertaken but you would think a small section of a few hundred seats could be made available in advance for a deserving few.
Well come on wooly what is the seat number, suspect it could be 10001 which is above the top row and they are reserving an early seat in heaven for you.

To be fair to the club I have already received my seat number.

As I have been sworn to secrecy, all I can reveal is that it is in excess of 10,000.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WhiteJC

ron

Quote from: shepperton white on September 03, 2021, 01:28:28 PM
I do wonder (and hope) they have plans to change at least the roof on the JH stand.  I realise it a listed building so there will be problems with the beurocrats but really the current roof is a little out of place

They raised the roof on the old stand at Ibrox as I recall, leaving the listed facade in place, so I guess all is possible, particularly seeing as the new stand has set a precedent for building upwards at the ground as a whole. Certainly a cantilevered roof would do wonders for the viewing experience from the JH, and I'm sure better use could be made of the space beneath, even with the cantilever steelwork in place.

filham

Quote from: Holders on September 03, 2021, 12:58:53 PM
It's truly a wonder that we ever got planning permission for that height.
I was surprised by that but I think our negotiating point was opening up the Thames Path. Also possible that our chairman has more clout than we are aware of.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: ron on September 08, 2021, 10:16:17 AM

They raised the roof on the old stand at Ibrox as I recall, leaving the listed facade in place, so I guess all is possible, particularly seeing as the new stand has set a precedent for building upwards at the ground as a whole. Certainly a cantilevered roof would do wonders for the viewing experience from the JH, and I'm sure better use could be made of the space beneath, even with the cantilever steelwork in place.

Not sure how accurate this is but someone involved with the club told me the club had some plans drawn up for another tier a few years ago. Apparently it was for a tier of boxes with a few rows of seats in front & hospitality lounges ,bar etc behind with glass rear overlooking Stevenage Road. The new roof had a mock gable mimicking the existing one
Would imagine it would a pretty difficult undertaking though, would need to drill piles through the existing structure & I'm guessing it would still need to have some support even with the cantilever roof. Also was told there would be a loss of some of the rear seats on the existing stand & a walkway through to the Cottage
I love the JH stand but I feel something should be done as long as it's sympathetic to the character of the stand

MJG

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 08, 2021, 03:36:42 PM

Not sure how accurate this is but someone involved with the club told me the club had some plans drawn up for another tier a few years ago. Apparently it was for a tier of boxes with a few rows of seats in front & hospitality lounges ,bar etc behind with glass rear overlooking Stevenage Road. The new roof had a mock gable mimicking the existing one
Would imagine it would a pretty difficult undertaking though, would need to drill piles through the existing structure & I'm guessing it would still need to have some support even with the cantilever roof. Also was told there would be a loss of some of the rear seats on the existing stand & a walkway through to the Cottage
I love the JH stand but I feel something should be done as long as it's sympathetic to the character of the stand
I saw some plans and had a few chats with people at the club on what your saying there. Safe to say they have looked at loads of ways of using the dead space above the exits as well to create rooms of some kind. You think of it they have probably looked at it.
Just the views of a long term fan

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: MJG on September 08, 2021, 05:39:33 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 08, 2021, 03:36:42 PM

I saw some plans and had a few chats with people at the club on what your saying there. Safe to say they have looked at loads of ways of using the dead space above the exits as well to create rooms of some kind. You think of it they have probably looked at it.

Yep, people say about how Glasgow Rangers extended their old Leitch stand. That was a huge stand with far less restrictions than we've got, we're only about 25 yard's from back gardens. Also the pitch at Ibrox is sunk miles below street level from when it was a bowl

b+w geezer

Interesting last two posts there from trusted sources. The first scenario implied a lot of money, effort and controversy to create a limited amount of premium accommodation. That will be less relevant now with a Riverside to serve such clients.

As regards capacity, there's such a shallow footprint at ground level between the pitch and street that only a substantial cantilever could make any inroads.  That would be a huge undertaking, with great aesthetic implications for the listed frontage. And the extra that was achieved would be partly countered by the need for modern seat dimensions etc. -- what's there now would never be allowed anew.

Improving life for ordinary punters in the JH as it is now would be a different aim, still worth trying for, and it's good to know the club have investigated. I'm not surprised that they haven't fixed on anything, though. More legroom would mean fewer rows. More toilets and refreshment facilities would go where? Even an amateur eye like mine can see that there is dead space, but not in obviously exploitable locations. A retired architect on here quite recently spoke of having some ideas about this which it would be fascinating to hear about.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: b+w geezer on September 08, 2021, 06:30:17 PM
Interesting last two posts there from trusted sources. The first scenario implied a lot of money, effort and controversy to create a limited amount of premium accommodation. That will be less relevant now with a Riverside to serve such clients.

As regards capacity, there's such a shallow footprint at ground level between the pitch and street that only a substantial cantilever could make any inroads.  That would be a huge undertaking, with great aesthetic implications for the listed frontage. And the extra that was achieved would be partly countered by the need for modern seat dimensions etc. -- what's there now would never be allowed anew.

Improving life for ordinary punters in the JH as it is now would be a different aim, still worth trying for, and it's good to know the club have investigated. I'm not surprised that they haven't fixed on anything, though. More legroom would mean fewer rows. More toilets and refreshment facilities would go where? Even an amateur eye like mine can see that there is dead space, but not in obviously exploitable locations. A retired architect on here quite recently spoke of having some ideas about this which it would be fascinating to hear about.

Again not sure how true this is but was also told that the boundary of the club at the Putney end was actually a few yards beyond the existing wall. I think any future development is going to be very problematic, in some ways although an unpopular option, it would've made sense to move out for a season & do both ends at the same time. With the new Riverside stand are we still able to use the river in the same way for construction? Same goes from annexing a chunk of Bishops Park, the NIMBYs would have a field day

ron

Talking of NIMBYs, the response to them should be that if they had bought their house in the adjoining streets prior to 1896, then they had a valid cause for complaint. Otherwise........

MJG

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 08, 2021, 06:52:29 PM

Again not sure how true this is but was also told that the boundary of the club at the Putney end was actually a few yards beyond the existing wall. I think any future development is going to be very problematic, in some ways although an unpopular option, it would've made sense to move out for a season & do both ends at the same time. With the new Riverside stand are we still able to use the river in the same way for construction? Same goes from annexing a chunk of Bishops Park, the NIMBYs would have a field day
next time you are outside the JH stand look at the line of paving that runs the length of the stand, we own everything to the left of it

MJG

Quote from: MJG on September 08, 2021, 07:09:48 PM

next time you are outside the JH stand look at the line of paving that runs the length of the stand, we own everything to the left of it

As for the putney end I have heard that before as well and that we lost a few yards over the years making that wall stable.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: MJG on September 08, 2021, 07:11:23 PM

As for the putney end I have heard that before as well and that we lost a few yards over the years making that wall stable.

Wow I never knew that, suppose it explains why cars are allowed to park there?

MJG

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 08, 2021, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 08, 2021, 07:11:23 PM

Wow I never knew that, suppose it explains why cars are allowed to park there?
when I was trying to push for refreshments area at the exit gates during HT and even looking at an outside area for smoking and drinking was when I found that out. Hence it would only work at the Cottage end as the pavement reduces closer to the Hammersmith end.In the end club decided security,safety and noise  wise it was a no go with that.

mrmicawbers

I have said before that it would be a good time to do work on the Johnny Haynes stand once the Riverside is complete.This would utd mean the majority of season ticket holders would be forced to relocate.I for one would be happy to have a season over in the new stand.Who knows maybe to stay over there.If the facilities are as good as I hope I would have a drink in the ground before and after maybe some food too.Would make commercial sense for the club to think about this in my opinion.

grandad

I always thought that it was only the red brick façade & sandstone decoration that is listed & not the roof or interior of the stand. Both of which are not terribly old.
Where there's a will there's a wife