watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Well we wont see the sun set behind that stand anymore but Rodak may need to wear his cap for longer on a Saturday afternoon.

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

Someone stated it's now possible to see the brick foundations of the original terracing that was underneath the Riverside Stand.  Can anyone confirm this?

LBNo11

Below is a photo of the remaining Thamesbank foundations prior to the building of the recently demolished Riverside stand.

The original banking of the terracing was made up using the excavation materiel from the Shepherd's Bush underground building program in 1896-7. When Archibald Leitch built the Stevenage Road stand in 1905, the existing banked terracing around the remainder of the ground were concrete terraced and fitted with his soon to be patented crash barriers.

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: SP on November 23, 2019, 10:34:03 AM
Someone stated it's now possible to see the brick foundations of the original terracing that was underneath the Riverside Stand.  Can anyone confirm this?

Yes I am hoping that Half a Crown I dropped on the terrace in our last game there before the construction is still there, I will recognise it as it will be a 1946 date.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 08, 2019, 09:45:49 PM
...the third photo is of the Riverside/Thamesbank terrace, taken from teh Putney end, shortly after the clean up..:-

That actually looks better than some of the grounds we played away at early 90,s..

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

LBNo11

Admin · 8 mins

#CravenCottageConcepts Riverside Stand history.

Before the Riverside stand was built in 1972 there had been two previous proposals to build a stand on the Thamesbank. The first, in 1935 was designed by Archibald Leitch's son Archibald Kent Leitch and was designed to hold 6,000 fans for a cost of £11,000, however, the sum back in those days was a large amount that the club could not afford.

The second proposal, in 1950, was also based on a design by Archibald's son was for a two tier stand to hold 4,000 fans under cover; by then the cost had risen to £40,000 and again the amount was more than the board, headed by chairman Charles Bradlaugh Dean, could afford. Below is a page from the programme dated 23rd August 1950 (Vs Charlton) announcing the proposed new stand...

filham

As I remember it the terracing was stepped earth held in place with timber battens, the luxury of concrete terraces around the ground did not appear until after the 1949 promotion.

LBNo11

Quote from: filham on November 24, 2019, 05:41:31 PM
As I remember it the terracing was stepped earth held in place with timber battens, the luxury of concrete terraces around the ground did not appear until after the 1949 promotion.

as can be seen by the previous photos just after the war, there was concrete terracing. But I was not around in 1949 to dispute what you say...

filham

Quote from: LBNo11 on November 24, 2019, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: filham on November 24, 2019, 05:41:31 PM

as can be seen by the previous photos just after the war, there was concrete terracing. But I was not around in 1949 to dispute what you say...
We cannot be sure of the date of the photo it could have been 1950 or a little later.

Jim©

The terracing in the colour pic of the thamesbank seems to look wider or deeper than the riverside was or is. Is the touchline still inline with the same part of the hammersmith end?

JimOG

Congrats to all for this brilliant nostalgic thread - has anyone got a pic of the electronic scoreboard mid 1960s? I remember Charlton v Boro (I think) flashing up 6-5 at half time. Typically Fulhamish we said as all laughed . But it was accurate - the game finished 7-7!

Dr Quinzel

Wasn't as cold as I thought it would be on Friday. Could have been my seventeen layers though

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 24, 2019, 02:42:32 PM
Quote from: SP on November 23, 2019, 10:34:03 AM

Yes I am hoping that Half a Crown I dropped on the terrace in our last game there before the construction is still there, I will recognise it as it will be a 1946 date.
I think that half crown may be classed as Treasure Trove so you should dismiss any thoughts of self benefit from such a find.

Riversider

You MUST check out the video on fulhampier.com , oh my days, this is incredible.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Riversider on November 26, 2019, 05:24:22 PM
You MUST check out the video on fulhampier.com , oh my days, this is incredible.

Is there a view of the pitch included?
Actually, is there still a pitch at all?

_Putney_

Nothing new really. Don't mind if it's multi functional during off match days, as long as they retain the football feel for match days

davew

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 25, 2019, 01:57:05 PM
Wasn't as cold as I thought it would be on Friday. Could have been my seventeen layers though
Maybe our 2nd goal was a factor?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)