more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Quote from: shepperton white on December 19, 2020, 04:22:55 PM
What interests me is, if we are allowing people to stroll along behind the stand on non match days, how can we install turnstiles from the park, especially if we are opening the coffee outlets to the public  - or am I misreading the situation altogether?

Not sure I get your point. I imagine most turnstiles will be installed before stand is open and before people can walk around it.

b+w geezer

Quote from: sarnian on December 18, 2020, 03:42:14 PM
Back when MAF was in charge and had his Riverside Stand plans approved I was reliably informed from someone who worked for the club at the time that plans had already been drawn up for a 2 tier upgrade to the Putney End.
Now that is intriguing. As will be recalled on reflection....

What actually got approved by the Council was not just a redvelopment of the Riverside, but a heightened roof to the JH Stand plus a wrap-around, uniform transformation of the other three sides, including the removal of the Cottage. Many styled this 'the spaceship design.'  It gained planning permission. We decamped to Loftus Road for it to be built. It never even got started.

So the conversation you describe (which I'm not meaning to doubt) gives interesting insight into what can only have been an earlier stage of inhouse deliberations. It leaves me wondering how history might have differed if Al Fayed had confined himself to rebuilding the Riverside Stand only (stand alone, not with a Fulham Pier) instead of opting for something vastly more ambitious.

Maybe he could have afforded something more modest like that and it would actually have gone ahead. We'll never know. As it was, everyone got messed around for a difficult period of underhand dealing -- a story still online at, for instance: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/deeply-hurt-fayed-reconsidering-future-of-fulham-124610.html

Today we have an owner with deeper pockets who also changed his mind about what development exactly he wanted, and -- again similarly -- upped the ambitions of his scheme. But then differed in actually proceeding.

sarnian

Quote from: b+w geezer on December 19, 2020, 07:03:58 PM
Quote from: sarnian on December 18, 2020, 03:42:14 PM
Back when MAF was in charge and had his Riverside Stand plans approved I was reliably informed from someone who worked for the club at the time that plans had already been drawn up for a 2 tier upgrade to the Putney End.
Now that is intriguing. As will be recalled on reflection....

What actually got approved by the Council was not just a redvelopment of the Riverside, but a heightened roof to the JH Stand plus a wrap-around, uniform transformation of the other three sides, including the removal of the Cottage. Many styled this 'the spaceship design.'  It gained planning permission. We decamped to Loftus Road for it to be built. It never even got started.

So the conversation you describe (which I'm not meaning to doubt) gives interesting insight into what can only have been an earlier stage of inhouse deliberations. It leaves me wondering how history might have differed if Al Fayed had confined himself to rebuilding the Riverside Stand only (stand alone, not with a Fulham Pier) instead of opting for something vastly more ambitious.

Maybe he could have afforded something more modest like that and it would actually have gone ahead. We'll never know. As it was, everyone got messed around for a difficult period of underhand dealing -- a story still online at, for instance: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/deeply-hurt-fayed-reconsidering-future-of-fulham-124610.html

Today we have an owner with deeper pockets who also changed his mind about what development exactly he wanted, and -- again similarly -- upped the ambitions of his scheme. But then differed in actually proceeding.

I was referring to the permission to rebuild the Riverside in July 2012 and not MAF's early 2000 plans before our Loftus Road move.

b+w geezer

Quote from: sarnian on December 19, 2020, 07:13:04 PM
I was referring to the permission to rebuild the Riverside in July 2012 and not MAF's early 2000 plans before our Loftus Road move.
Ah, if 12 years later, then my misinterpretation (hardly your fault!) adds intrigue for no good reason.

A much smaller question only applies to the 2012 plans -- whether MAF ever had the slightest intention of proceeding with them himself, or gained the permission with a seller always in mind.

MJG

What interests me is, if we are allowing people to stroll along behind the stand on non match days, how can we install turnstiles from the park, especially if we are opening the coffee outlets to the public  - or am I misreading the situation altogether?
there are the permanent turnstiles but there is also the wide exit gates that will be open on non matchdays to allow full access to the riverwalk.
Just the views of a long term fan

Fulham1959

It's all a hoax.  Fake pictures.  This stand will never be built.

Meanwhile, 'back to the future' !

:005:

fcfulham55

Not sure if this works(pic upload), but this was taken down from twitter as possibly a leak "preliminary design" for the other 3 stands.

We got anyone with more info to this?

Can't upload the picture is a few mb.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Riversider

The pictures above I took today, I am simply in awe of this new stand, but I can't think of one other stadium in the entire United Kingdom where one stand is so out of keeping from the rest of the ground,
As others have touched on this stand must signal the start of a major redevelopment,  there is no way this is the end.

MJG

Quote from: MJG on December 20, 2020, 07:28:06 AM
there are the permanent turnstiles but there is also the wide exit gates that will be open on non matchdays to allow full access to the riverwalk.
Just the views of a long term fan

Friendsoffulham

mrmicawbers

What lovely photos.Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas

General

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on December 24, 2020, 02:12:22 PM

Taking shape nicely - looks like a very visually dominating stand. Will have to try and watch a couple of games from the very back of the stand so you can watch the game and also get the view of London. Imagine that's quite unique as far as football stadia go.

PhilEsh

Quote from: fcfulham55 on December 20, 2020, 02:46:17 PM
Not sure if this works(pic upload), but this was taken down from twitter as possibly a leak "preliminary design" for the other 3 stands.

We got anyone with more info to this?

Can't upload the picture is a few mb.

Please do share and try again....if not, can you DM it on twitter?

SP

I agree General, the view from the back centre of the stand should be something, perhaps similar to the view from the away end at Newcastle but better!

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: SP on December 24, 2020, 04:32:14 PM
I agree General, the view from the back centre of the stand should be something, perhaps similar to the view from the away end at Newcastle but better!

Far higher up at Newcastle, that stand is truly enormous. It's still going to be a great view though from ours. Think the city skyline will look amazing on evening games

BestOfBrede

I think you may find that the overhanging roof may be in the way up at the back?

mrmicawbers

I shall be drinking by the pool nothing in my way.