https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Development Update

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 06, 2019, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

JimOG

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on June 11, 2021, 07:20:23 PM

Thanks - I love the openness, the sense of space and light. Wonder what the plan is for Putney & Hammy Ends?

Dunstable Fulham

I think it looks amazing. Bought my season ticket yesterday and can't wait to get back to the cottage. I just hope that COVID doesn't continue to prevent that from happening. We have to accept that it will be impossible to live in a COVID free environment- we just need to get on with it now that the most vulnerable in our society are fully vaccinated.

Fernhurst

Wonderful shots thank you. This really is my most favorite thread, the new stand has risen from the riverbank looking quite breathtaking.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

blingo

Looks great, BUT, I'm always going to be a hammy ender.

ealex40

And to think that back in the 1950's, we were one of the last clubs to have floodlights, because of the structural problems encountered to sink the (2) pylons, so close to the river....Or at least that was what we were told....

Fulham76

Quote from: blingo on June 12, 2021, 06:12:48 PM

Me too, but definitely want to watch a game from the new stand.

blingo

Quote from: Fulham76 on June 12, 2021, 07:40:35 PM

For sure lol

ron

Quote from: ealex40 on June 12, 2021, 07:26:59 PM
And to think that back in the 1950's, we were one of the last clubs to have floodlights, because of the structural problems encountered to sink the (2) pylons, so close to the river....Or at least that was what we were told....

I think the real problem was in sinking hands into pockets to pay for them...

.....in fact, as I recall, the pylons didn't go up until into the 'sixties.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ron on June 12, 2021, 11:11:49 PM

Yes It was into the sixties and Tommy Trinders short arms and long pockets.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

I was a Hammy ender for years but then when the seats came in I managed a successful conversion with other wrinklies to the JH stand. I think a further move to the Riverside may be a step too far but would love to watch just one game from that position of luxury.

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2021, 12:00:33 AM

Our new floodlights, the  last First division team to get them, were unveiled in  1962 v Sheff. Wed, a game which we  won 4-1, with goals from Stan Brown and a  Maurice Cook hat trick.
Before that mid winter Saturday games started at 2.15pm, with no evening games outside of  early and late season , and these kicked off at 6.15pm.

I was at the game, standing  down the front on the halfway line, on the Riverside terrace.
The game sticks in my mind because I had  a pre-game fight with a mate I'd  come with.

It was the Supporters' Club who paid for the floodlights, the club claiming  that they couldn't afford them after paying for Bobby Robson's return to Fulham.

shepperton white

The drawback for me is my st was in top row of block C in the JH stand.  we could not see the top of the old Riverside stand, so we will see even less of the new one!  Plus we could not see the scoreboards either (thinking about it, with some of our recent results maybe that's not such a bad thing!)

mullers

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 13, 2021, 12:00:33 AM
I always believed the supporters raised the money because Fulham risked being relegated. Once they'd done that suddenly all the problems disappeared.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: filham on June 13, 2021, 10:23:08 AM

I was a Hammy ender for years but then when the seats came in I managed a successful conversion with other wrinklies to the JH stand. I think a further move to the Riverside may be a step too far but would love to watch just one game from that position of luxury.
maybe it's me but I don't like the. Term Hammy End.Maybe it's an age thing,but never called that growing up in my era.I thi nk my family and friends would give me a funny look if I said it.

Ivorwasgod

spoke to a friend whose job involves going to lots of stadiums - i said that the new riverside looked very steep - he said he was told that was deliberate so that all people relatively close to the pitch and should help keep the noise in (resisted opportunity to point out noise doesnt come from that stand).

i suspect the angle has more to do with maximising the income generating facilities behind - call me cynic  064.gif

filham

Quote from: mrmicawbers on June 14, 2021, 02:14:36 PM

maybe it's me but I don't like the. Term Hammy End.Maybe it's an age thing,but never called that growing up in my era.I thi nk my family and friends would give me a funny look if I said it.
I understand how you feel, funny if we started to call the other end the Putty end wouldn't it.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: filham on June 14, 2021, 03:17:30 PM

I understand how you feel, funny if we started to call the other end the Putty end wouldn't it.
Ha ha might stick though.

MJG

Quote from: Ivorwasgod on June 14, 2021, 02:59:04 PM
spoke to a friend whose job involves going to lots of stadiums - i said that the new riverside looked very steep - he said he was told that was deliberate so that all people relatively close to the pitch and should help keep the noise in (resisted opportunity to point out noise doesnt come from that stand).

i suspect the angle has more to do with maximising the income generating facilities behind - call me cynic  064.gif
dictated also by the amount of River we had to buy, hence also a reason for the steepness.
Just the views of a long term fan

RaySmith

Quote from: filham on June 14, 2021, 03:17:30 PM

Even in the song they sang 'we are the Hammersmith End'  not the Hammy End!

But I've gotten used it being called that now I suppose.
I suppose it's because  Hammersmith is a bit of a mouthful, unlike Putney.