more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

When did

Started by H4usuallysitting, June 07, 2019, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbie

Quote from: Dodger53 on June 08, 2019, 09:03:56 PM
Where did 'can I get' when ordering something come from? All our (grown up) kids use it.

and when I go to the bar...... are you all right? yes thank you, just wondering if there was anyone who will serve me a drink!  You could have said can I help you or what would you like but no ..are you all right, where did that come from?

I wonder if it evolved from mirroring the question "what can I get for you?".

OldBrownShoe

I dislike when many male footballers usually manage to throw in "...like I say.." to many of their interviews or when young people constantly use the word "like". By young people I don't mean Michael Gove. Snort, snort!  092.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Holders

"Underway" when they mean under way (even the BBC does it). It comes from vessels making way - hence giving way etc.

"Instore" when they mean in the shop. The store is out the back and it's no use out there.

Jumping "out the window" when they mean out of the window.

"If I was" rather than if I were.

"Should of" when they mean should have.

They're/their/there

You're/your

Graham Norton.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

As long as you are being understood I see no problem with the evolution of language. Although I still shiver when somebody pronounces the letter 'H' as Haitch and not Aitch. Language changes and expressions are different in different parts of one Country let alone further afield. SO, live and let live.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Cornishnick

'Stand out' performer instead of outstanding. ggrrr!

Cornishnick

Oh and another one;  when asking after someones health. "How are you today" - "Good thanks" 
I wasn't asking where you are on the moral compass, it was an equiry about your personal health.

kiwian

moving forward, offshore, at this point in time-that's enough for now
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Southdowns White

When people use "So, it was Like actually" then go on to describe what happened and also when discussing a project with a customer at work they say "Can WE do the math on this one" when what they really mean is can you please work out some prices for me. When did math replace maths?

Camel Club

Moving forward I hope the cohort of individuals who represent Fulham on the field of play next season can show the resilience required to achieve promotion.

Holders

Quote from: Cornishnick on June 09, 2019, 08:01:43 PM
Oh and another one;  when asking after someones health. "How are you today" - "Good thanks" 
I wasn't asking where you are on the moral compass, it was an equiry about your personal health.

Good one, rather like misuse of "if" and "whether". 

Peabody

What about Soccer instead of Football. Or Off Season instead of close season

bobbo

Quote from: Andy S on June 09, 2019, 12:10:19 AM
You lot are a bunch of misery's. Live and let live I say it makes life much easier
youre outvoted Andy sorry mate there's too many old miseries don't like it. But we all probably not got loads of years left that's why 😜😜😜
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Burt

The word "like" seems to, like, come up every second word, like.

Unless it's just my kids  :022:

Fulham1959

'Immersive' experiences (probably 'curated' just for you).  These are over-used rather than wrong. 

'Passionate', 'existential', 'evidence-based' :  all over-used, and I'm not entirely sure what 'existential' means.

'Amazing', 'awesome' :  both mean 'quite good'. 

" . . . and much, much, more" means, "We have listed everything and there is nothing else".

"Yeah, no" is often used in responses by sportspeople when being interviewed.

I've also noticed that 'question mark' is used in spoken reports, etc., when the word should be 'question'

Language is fascinating !

Holders

Quote from: Burt on June 10, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
The word "like" seems to, like, come up every second word, like.

Unless it's just my kids  :022:

A choirmaster once said that it took him ages to get his choristers to sing "father-like he tends and spares us" rather than, as they wanted to sing "father, like, he tends and spares us".

True story, I believe.

HV71

I posted on the pet hates thread that the over use and incorrect use of 'like' was getting on my ample man boobs . Second to this is how everyone is now on a 'journey ' without seeming to move more than a few yards !

cottage expat

Like HV71, a pet hate is people putting "like" in front of every other word. "I was, like, trying to like get on a bus when, like, this bloke, like pushed in front of me"

Heard a new one the other day: apparently, in parts of the pc community, the term "disabled" is now offensive and should be replaced by "differently abled". The language is getting crippled.

love4ffc

My wife hates when she is in a meeting and people ask "where we at with" instead of "how are we doing with" ?
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

Quote from: Fulham1959 on June 10, 2019, 12:53:25 PM
'Immersive' experiences (probably 'curated' just for you).  These are over-used rather than wrong. 

'Passionate', 'existential', 'evidence-based' :  all over-used, and I'm not entirely sure what 'existential' means.

'Amazing', 'awesome' :  both mean 'quite good'. 

" . . . and much, much, more" means, "We have listed everything and there is nothing else".

"Yeah, no" is often used in responses by sportspeople when being interviewed.

I've also noticed that 'question mark' is used in spoken reports, etc., when the word should be 'question'

Language is fascinating !

I think of 'existential' with a type of philosophy, Existentialism, associated with the post-war era, and the 50's, with the likes of John - Paul Sartre sitting in Parisian  cafes  drinking coffee and talking about individual freedom and the meaning of life, while smoking  strong fags, but today it just seems to mean 'existing'. An existential threat is just an existing threat, I think.

Nothing to do with Existentialist philosophy anyway, I don't think, which has confused me, and jars with me a bit.

But, as you say language is fascinating, and evolves all the time.

The tendency today seems to be to use a lot of flowery words, as you say, when simple language  would convey your meaning far more clearly. I prefer prefer straightforward, precise language. Why use existential if you just mean that something exists, for example?

Holders

Quote from: love4ffc on June 11, 2019, 12:50:14 AM
My wife hates when she is in a meeting and people ask "where we at with" instead of "how are we doing with" ?

Or even "where are we with...".

"Meeting with" instead of meeting, "talking with" instead of talking to.