News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spare A Thought For Them Poor Coventry Fans.

Started by Mince n Tatties, June 08, 2019, 12:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 09, 2019, 08:12:54 AM
Lots of their fans stating will not be attending the games played at St Andrews in protest.
But they will take large amounts to away fixtures to support the players.

Exactly what happened when they ground-shared with Northampton Town...

toshes mate

Interesting to note that the Ricoh Arena is a multi-use stadium with a capacity of 40,000 for concerts and 32,000 for football and rugby, has its own railway station and is close to motorway access.  Wasps are c.£55m in debt and currently under investigation by FCA, and Coventry City FC group are c.£48m in debt.  Just goes to show that sometimes non-sport related income isn't as easy to come by when push comes to shove.

The Rational Fan

English Suppprters put more pressure on their club owners and country managers than almost any others. Insane supporter expectations seems to be often meet by club owners with insanely risky decision making from club owmers and by England managers by constantly trying young unproven premier league players in the national team.

toshes mate

@TRF

Once upon a time, before the advent of media coverage and broadcast rights and contracts with their heavily interested and invested counterparts in sponsorship and advertising, the sport's supporter (it isn't just football or in England) was the key component of professional survival i.e. no audience=no revenue.  Most supporters just want to attend games at reasonable prices, see their club do as well as possible, and have as good a chance as any other club of doing so.  As you tell us all too often and all too well it is the ambition of 'the owner(s) of a club' and their decision making prowess plus the real potential of that club to be or become 'bigger', that determines how big or small their debt will be, unless they already happen to fall into the elite group who actually show a profit.  The story of Coventry City FC is really a tale about how badly things can go wrong if poor decisions are made, not by supporters, but by the owners of the club they support.         

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 10, 2019, 11:53:27 PM
English Suppprters put more pressure on their club owners and country managers than almost any others. Insane supporter expectations seems to be often meet by club owners with insanely risky decision making from club owmers and by England managers by constantly trying young unproven premier league players in the national team.

There is a lot of truth to this. Supporters want wins and not balanced books. Wins cost money. So trying to win often leads to insolvency.

Fulham has been blessed with its owners. The rich can manage losses better than the non-rich. Fulham could easily be a club like Charlton, Bolton, or Portsmouth without exceptional owners.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 12, 2019, 01:52:58 PM

There is a lot of truth to this. Supporters want wins and not balanced books. Wins cost money. So trying to win often leads to insolvency.

Fulham has been blessed with its owners. The rich can manage losses better than the non-rich. Fulham could easily be a club like Charlton, Bolton, or Portsmouth without exceptional owners.
Since watching Malcolm McDonald's Fulham, I always dreamed of the club being owned by someone that i) loves the club, ii) gets involved with the club, iii) has the money to grow the club long-term, iv) has financial intelligence and v) has football intelligence. Tony Khan seems to have the four of five qualities in abundance and while he was hopelessly lacking the fifth quality a few years ago he is making every effort to acquire football intelligence.

And, while Fulham Fans over reflect on the owners son lack of Football Intelligence, its clear to me "The Khans" other qualities are keeping Fulham as a Yo-Yo Club. I am honestly surprised, that we aren't worse off than one year after MAF sold the club, I think that is a indication the ownership is at least overall average and i suggest we are improving very slowly, which is good. Much better than Malcolm McDonald days, when there was no money to keep the great players Malcolm McDonald was getting for free (like Paul Parker and Ray Houghton).

bog

I will never forget clicking on ceefax and reading the headline of....'Al Fayed buys Fulham...more to follow'...there certainly was 'more to follow'. How fortunate were we that he came along and not some mob like the lot at Coventry now?

092.gif

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 16, 2019, 08:18:26 AM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on June 12, 2019, 01:52:58 PM

Since watching Malcolm McDonald's Fulham, I always dreamed of the club being owned by someone that i) loves the club, ii) gets involved with the club, iii) has the money to grow the club long-term, iv) has financial intelligence and v) has football intelligence. Tony Khan seems to have the four of five qualities in abundance and while he was hopelessly lacking the fifth quality a few years ago he is making every effort to acquire football intelligence.

And, while Fulham Fans over reflect on the owners son lack of Football Intelligence, its clear to me "The Khans" other qualities are keeping Fulham as a Yo-Yo Club. I am honestly surprised, that we aren't worse off than one year after MAF sold the club, I think that is a indication the ownership is at least overall average and i suggest we are improving very slowly, which is good. Much better than Malcolm McDonald days, when there was no money to keep the great players Malcolm McDonald was getting for free (like Paul Parker and Ray Houghton).

I totally agree.