watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advantage or not

Started by Andy S, June 08, 2019, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Is being a London club an advantage or disadvantage when signings a new player? The cost of property although a consideration will rise more than that outside London. Then there is the crime rate. No wonder McCormack had gates fitted.

WhiteJC

I would imagine that most players live near the training ground rather than near the stadium

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I think if I could earn $30+ a week with a signing on bonus, and had good dissability insurance
I'd probably buy either a flat in London or a 'mansion' in the North Downs.
Charles would drive me to work and back in the Rolls, so no stress there.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

filham

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on June 10, 2019, 02:55:44 PM
I think if I could earn $30+ a week with a signing on bonus, and had good dissability insurance

[/quote

That is right a lot of London club players have mansions in the North Downs or Chilterns and enjoy quick access to
London and the good shopping and bright lights.
Think a London club is probably more attractive than say Middlesboro, Lincoln or Exeter

Holders

Quote from: filham on June 10, 2019, 03:58:59 PM

[/quote

That is right a lot of London club players have mansions in the North Downs or Chilterns and enjoy quick access to
Think a London club is probably more attractive than say Middlesboro, Lincoln or Exeter

Really surprised you say Exeter. I'm not a young tearaway footballer but give me the environs of Exeter any day of the week. You have the coast and Dartmoor to live on; similarly Southampton or Bournemouth have the New Forest. But London you have to go a long way out.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MikeW

Think you will find McCormack's gates were in a Birmingham suburb.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Tabby

Quote from: MikeW on June 10, 2019, 04:11:27 PM
Think you will find McCormack's gates were in a Birmingham suburb.

And they were clearly there to keep Steve Bruce away, not burglars.

Fredericks and Smalling are two players off the top of my head that decided to come here partly because of location.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

he was born in Greenwich

During his youth, Smalling played for the Millwall academy before joining non-League club Maidstone United.
After establishing himself in the Maidstone United first team, he signed for Middlesbrough in May 2008.
However, shortly after joining Middlesbrough, Smalling had his contract with the club cancelled after raising concerns over homesickness. Soon after, in June 2008, he signed for Premier League club Fulham.
He made his professional debut with them in May 2009 and helped them reach the 2010 UEFA Europa League Final the following season.

I thought we signed him straight from Maidstone, I didn't know he'd played for Middlesborough

He could I have lived at home when at Fulham.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Dr Know

Don't think he played for Middlesbrough , Roy Hodgson signed him from Maidstone !

Beamer

I know it's only Wikipedia but
'After attracting strong interest from Fulham, Gillingham, Charlton Athletic and Reading,[13] Smalling signed for Middlesbrough on a two-year contract on 30 April 2008.[13][14] However, within a month of signing, his contract with Middlesbrough was cancelled, with Smalling concerned about homesickness,[15] and in June 2008, he signed for Premier League club Fulham.[16] Smalling was not on a contract at Maidstone United, for it would have prohibited him from playing for England Schoolboys, and as such the Isthmian League club were not entitled to a fee for the player; however, Fulham struck a deal which saw Maidstone United given £10,000 upon the transfer and £10,000 for every 10 league matches he played.[17] He was made captain of the club's Development Squad by manager Billy McKinlay.[18]'

and this from the Daily Mail
'Smalling signs on at The Riverside
By COLIN YOUNG
Last updated at 16:17 06 May 2008
Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate has signed England youth defender Chris Smalling from Maidstone United of the Ryman League.
More Boro news
The promising 18-year-old centre-back has agreed a two-year contract and will join up with the club's senior pros after the summer.
Boro's Academy manager Dave Parnaby said: "We tracked Chris through his international programme with England, and a member of our recruitment staff forwarded very favourable reports from his performances with both England and Maidstone.
"I am very happy to announce that Chris has agreed a two-year contract with Middlesbrough.
"He is a very intelligent and level-headed young man who we feel has a lot of potential to fulfil.
"We look forward to him joining us in July for pre-season training."

Ged

Quote from: Holders on June 10, 2019, 04:06:57 PM
[quote author=rogerpnowinFlorida link=topic=71565.msg1063814#msg1063814 date

Really surprised you say Exeter. I'm not a young tearaway footballer but give me the environs of Exeter any day of the week. You have the coast and Dartmoor to live on; similarly Southampton or Bournemouth have the New Forest. But London you have to go a long way out.
Not true the North Downs are only 20 miles from Fulham and the Chilterns about 30 about the same as Exeter to Chagford

filham

[/quote

Yes, I fully agree with you Holders, but the young man with more money than he knows what to do with, a big fast car, and a  trendy dresser sees things differently and wants to be closer to his jet set friends in the big smoke.

Holders

Quote from: Ged on June 10, 2019, 06:19:53 PM
[quote author=rogerpnowinFlorida link=topic=71565.msg1063814#msg1063814 date

Not true the North Downs are only 20 miles from Fulham and the Chilterns about 30 about the same as Exeter to Chagford

I know how far the North Downs are from Fulham - I used to cycle to matches from Dorking. Not much fun around the Kingston by-pass on a wet Wednesday evening.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BigbadBillyMcKinley

30k a week to live in Hull or 30k a week and live in london. Know which I'd prefer.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

MikeW

Fredericks had an equally brief spell at Bristol City I recall.  Homesick or didn't realise where Bristol was? Not sure.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."