watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who is the best goalkeeper

Started by Andy S, June 09, 2019, 11:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

To ever play for the club? It has to be between Macedo and Van Der Sar or does it?

bill taylors apprentice

Can't disagree with those two, saw them both when the game was very different.
I also highly rate Gerry Peyton & Maik Taylor.

sunburywhite

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 09, 2019, 11:23:05 AM

I think Taylor was a lot better than people actually think. Very unlucky to be No 2 to EVS
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

fulhamben

Quote from: sunburywhite on June 09, 2019, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 09, 2019, 11:23:05 AM

I think Taylor was a lot better than people actually think. Very unlucky to be No 2 to EVS
he couldn't kick though, his distribution was shocking. In fact I dont think we have had a keeper since  or before, who had to get defenders to take goal kicks for them
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

OldBrownShoe

Both were wonderful in quite different ways and way ahead of some good keepers we had and plenty of bad ones.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

JimOG

Macedo was so exciting a keeper - brilliant saves and extremely brave. EVDS was excellent too in so many ways but I'd put a quiet word in for Mark Schwartzer. I wouldn't put him ahead of the other two but I think he was the best I've ever seen at quietly commanding his area and plucking out long crosses. If Rico had that well....

JimmyConway

Macedo was a decent goalie in his era but nowhere as good even then as Van Der Sar Schwarzer Taylor and probably Peyton were.

sunburywhite

I never saw him but Ian Black was meant to be very good
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

glenhodgso

Woolly Mammoth

Tony Macedo for me, he was in an era where players could barge Goalkeepers over the line and basically bash them about.
Since the Premier League commenced you cannot break wind in front of a goal keeper these days without the referee administering a caution.
I brushed past the TV a few weeks ago and saw a keeper in la liga fall down clutching his wallet.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Tony Macedo for me, too.  Some of his shot stopping was absolutely breathtaking and his bravery was unquestionable at a time when there was so little protection for goalkeepers.  Nobody I have seen in FFC colours has even matched him since, in my opinion, although, as someone mentions above, Ian Black was also a very strong candidate as a really reliable and safe pair of hands prior to Macedo getting the nod over him.     

Peabody

Got to be Tony Macedo former keeper, Ian Black was OK but when TM took over, it was a whole new experience for us. The South East Counties team had produced these three exciting new youngsters, Alan Mullery, George Cohen and Tony MacedoWho made their first team debuts around the same time and the three of them were a great success. TM was such a great keeper and helped to improve what up to then. Was a mediocre defence. Tony Macedo for me

HillingdonFFC

Schwarzer in his  first few seasons was immaculate, best I've seen at Fulham & that includes EVDS who was a fantastic keeper.

bog

Tony Macedo for me. I will echo Peabody. Tony would have played for England but for being born in Gibraltar. He is my number 1. He came back to the club for the first time after leaving just a few seasons ago.

092.gif   

RaySmith

All the keepers spoken of here were great players for Fulham, but the great Tony Macedo was one of my Fulham heroes when I first began following the club in the early 60's (incidentally, does any remember South African, Ken Hewkins, whom Tony took over from, in my memory, and served as reserve keeper for some time?).

Anyway, I was on my way to a home game, travelling from Tulse Hill BR, then tube from Wimbledon.I was early as always, since I used to  get player autographs before the game, and who did I see down the carriage, but the great Tony Macedo, with a woman.

I took out my album of photos to be signed, and went down to where Tony sat. 'Sign please Tony' I said, expecting the usual scribbled signature, but this time the great man said -'no, I'm with my wife.'

But, I just think this shows how times have  changed - a player of Tony's status travelling to a top division game in which he was playing, on the tube

gang

Quote from: RaySmith on June 09, 2019, 04:16:08 PM
All the keepers spoken of here were great players for Fulham, but the great Tony Macedo was one of my Fulham heroes when I first began following the club in the early 60's (incidentally, does any remember South African, Ken Hewkins, whom Tony took over from, in my memory, and served as reserve keeper for some time?).

Anyway, I was on my way to a home game, travelling from Tulse Hill BR, then tube from Wimbledon.I was early as always, since I used to  get player autographs before the game, and who did I see down the carriage, but the great Tony Macedo, with a woman.

I took out my album of photos to be signed, and went down to where Tony sat. 'Sign please Tony' I said, expecting the usual scribbled signature, but this time the great man said -'no, I'm with my wife.'

But, I just think this shows how times have  changed - a player of Tony's status travelling to a top division game in which he was playing, on the tube

I thought Tony took over from Ian Black, Ken Hewkins then became 3rd choice until Black left the club.

bog

Quote from: gang on June 09, 2019, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on June 09, 2019, 04:16:08 PM

I thought Tony took over from Ian Black, Ken Hewkins then became 3rd choice until Black left the club.

He did and Hewkins ended up a reserve. Nowhere near Tony though. I recall it heart in mouth time when he was playing. Came from Clyde after they won the Scottish Cup...can you believe that, Clyde winning the Scottish cup?

092.gif 

filham

My top 3 were quite clearly

!, Macedo
2. Van Der Sah
3. Schwarzer

When it comes to favourites who dare to leave out Jim Stanard.

Ruislip Ray

Tony Macedo was my boyhood hero,while 99% of fulham fans went behind the visitors goal to get a better view of our goals i went in the opposite direction to see Tony pull off miracles,not only was he the best ever fulham keeper,in my opinion he was one of the best in the world.

Peabody

Another who was  Tony's deputy was Dave Underwood, who I always thought was a decent keeper