Who is the best goalkeeper

Started by Andy S, June 09, 2019, 11:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Vandelay

In order of the ones I have seen live are

1. Edwin Van Der Sar
2. Mark Schwarzer
3. Anti Niemi

I wonder in Neil Etheridge could of came close if he stayed.

Burt

Macedo was before my time, so for me it is VDS, followed by Schwarzer.

colinwhite

i would go for Schwarzer. Rarely put a foot wrong and completely dominated his box. Always had a soft spot for Ian Seymour.

Mince n Tatties

The one and only Elliot Macedo,my hero when I was a kid,and what made me to start playing in goal instead of outfield.

St Eve

ALG01

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 09, 2019, 03:58:45 PM
Schwarzer in his  first few seasons was immaculate, best I've seen at Fulham & that includes EVDS who was a fantastic keeper.

100% agree, te best we had consistently. EVS was a bot eratic and made too many howlers costing us points. Scwarzer angles were brilliant and he was calm and dependable.. my choice.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: ALG01 on June 09, 2019, 10:11:03 PM
Schwarzer in his  first few seasons was immaculate, best I've seen at Fulham & that includes EVDS who was a fantastic keeper.

100% agree, te best we had consistently. EVS was a bot eratic and made too many howlers costing us points. Scwarzer angles were brilliant and he was calm and dependable.. my choice.

Completely agree, some people think thats crazy but EVDS dropped a few clangers that a lot of people seem to forget.
He was a brilliant keeper but for me Schwarzer particularly in his first couple of seasons was phenomenal.I remember games where we would be hanging on at the end & he'd claim every ball pumped into the box. So calm.
Towards the end he himself started to go a bit but he was approaching 40

bobbo

Tony Macedo for sure, as already said he had the lot,bravery,shot stopper and in the air.
What a shame he couldn't get picked for England. But he did play for England under 21's.

He's 81 now .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fulham1959

Quote from: bobbo on June 10, 2019, 12:46:00 PM
Tony Macedo for sure, as already said he had the lot,bravery,shot stopper and in the air.
What a shame he couldn't get picked for England. But he did play for England under 21's.

He's 81 now .

It was Under-23s in those days.  I remember watching Grandstand, about 1959 or 1960, when they made some announcement about his eligibility to play for England.

I prefer the days when goalkeepers made saves with their hands, not their feet ;  and only wore gloves when the ball was wet or muddy.

cottage expat

Quote from: filham on June 09, 2019, 05:25:29 PM
My top 3 were quite clearly

!, Macedo
2. Van Der Sah
3. Schwarzer

When it comes to favourites who dare to leave out Jim Stanard.

+1

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: glenhodgso on June 09, 2019, 12:18:18 PM
Jim Stannard !

Damn right ! He's fat, he's round, always on the ground ....

love4ffc

Kasey Keller is one for me helping with the great escape  049:gif  :Haynes The Maestro:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Nick Bateman

Marc Schwarzer was by far the best followed by Van der Sar.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

RaySmith

Quote from: love4ffc on June 10, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
Kasey Keller is one for me helping with the great escape  049:gif  :Haynes The Maestro:

0001.jpeg

And a shout out to the likes of Tony Warner and Gabor Kiraly, who also helped us out in times of need.

Mullers OG

We've been very fortunate to see some great keepers over the years at the Cottage.  I find it very hard to pick the best.  EVDS, Schwarzer, Taylor and Macedo were all top class keepers.  Peyton was in my opinion not far behind.  If I was made to pick one I think I would go for Van de Sar who epitomised the step up in class Tigana brought to Fulham in the premier division.

I also thought Ian Seymour was a class act.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 09, 2019, 11:19:32 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 09, 2019, 10:11:03 PM

Completely agree, some people think thats crazy but EVDS dropped a few clangers that a lot of people seem to forget.
He was a brilliant keeper but for me Schwarzer particularly in his first couple of seasons was phenomenal.I remember games where we would be hanging on at the end & he'd claim every ball pumped into the box. So calm.
Towards the end he himself started to go a bit but he was approaching 40
Totally agree lads, it's Schwartz for me.

MikeW

On a wet June afternoon a few might like to have  read of the following which I penned for David Lloyd's TOOFIF a few years back. My reference to myself being middle aged could do with an update!

Hero worship between the sticks ...

Intro:

Middle age strikes our West Country correspondent Mike Waring who recalls the shock of visiting the Cottage only to discover his boyhood hero was missing from between the sticks.

Copy:

If you are of my age - perfectly positioned to be called middle aged - then you will recall a time when the first name on a team sheet was always, yes always, Tony Macedo.

Being a fledging 'keeper myself he was my boyhood hero and in all school boy games played in the adjacent dog poo park in New Malden I was always considered an odd cove for actually volunteering to play in goal.  But on with the green woolly polo-neck and Mum's cotton gardening gloves and I was the man.

Honourable custodian as he was - and to this day I recall the posed shot of a grinning and completely horizontal Tony turning an imaginary ball around the post (and I bet the landing hurt!) - Tony's era was notable also for his unsung understudies.

Ken Hewkins first came to my youthful attentions when I was pressed against the railings in the Stevenage Road paddock to watch my hero's play Manchester United in a memorable 4-4 draw in 1960.

Now as far as I was concerned we only had one 'keeper and that was Tony.

But on that grey un-floodlit December day with expectancy in mind and my hero's name printed in the programme, a new name was thrust upon me by the P.A. announcer - Ken Hewkins. 

My mind was ablaze with unanswered questions!  Had Tony 'the cat' been sold to someone terrible like Arsenal or (worse) Chelsea?  Had he been deported back to Gibraltar to await some strange fate?  And of most importance, was this man Hewkins going to become my new hero?

Oh so many questions that needed answers!

In the event I discovered that Hewkins was a late replacement for an injured Macedo and since arriving at the Cottage some years earlier had always been destined to play second fiddle.  He was also a rare phenomenon in Fulham circles having won a Scottish Cup Final medal with Clyde and also being regular penalty taker for the stiffs.

Next to understudy Macedo was Dave Underwood who could, with some justification, be described as being in the twilight of his career not making a weighty contribution to Bedford Jezzard's youth policy at the age of 33!

He didn't get a single game in '62/63 as Macedo was ever present.  Underwood of course was ex Watford and he lasted a couple of years before Jack McClelland arrived from Arsenal. 

McClelland - a Northern Ireland international who represented his country as a Fulham player - had spent most of his career with the Gunners as understudy to Jack Kelsey and was destined for a similar role or to share duties with Macedo for the next few years.  He grabbed his chance late in 1965 when he replaced my hero between the sticks for the annual battle away from the basement of Division One.

Next season it was back to the reserves for Jack but with the arrival of Ian Seymour in 1966 the writing was on the wall.  Unspeakable of unspeakable Macedo was sold to Colchester in 1968 and while McClelland stayed on he was again largely second choice. 

Tragically, Jack McClelland died in the late 1970's but not before he had helped a then non-league Barnet to an FA Trophy victory at Wembley.

In my goalkeeping eyes, an era ended when those heady days of Tony 'Elio' Macedo ruling the roost finished but nonetheless, let's raise our glasses to his able and unsung understudies.

"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

cottage expat

Quote from: MikeW on June 11, 2019, 01:59:27 PM
On a wet June afternoon a few might like to have  read of the following which I penned for David Lloyd's TOOFIF a few years back. My reference to myself being middle aged could do with an update!

Hero worship between the sticks ...

Intro:

Middle age strikes our West Country correspondent Mike Waring who recalls the shock of visiting the Cottage only to discover his boyhood hero was missing from between the sticks.

Copy:

If you are of my age - perfectly positioned to be called middle aged - then you will recall a time when the first name on a team sheet was always, yes always, Tony Macedo.

Being a fledging 'keeper myself he was my boyhood hero and in all school boy games played in the adjacent dog poo park in New Malden I was always considered an odd cove for actually volunteering to play in goal.  But on with the green woolly polo-neck and Mum's cotton gardening gloves and I was the man.

Honourable custodian as he was - and to this day I recall the posed shot of a grinning and completely horizontal Tony turning an imaginary ball around the post (and I bet the landing hurt!) - Tony's era was notable also for his unsung understudies.

Ken Hewkins first came to my youthful attentions when I was pressed against the railings in the Stevenage Road paddock to watch my hero's play Manchester United in a memorable 4-4 draw in 1960.

Now as far as I was concerned we only had one 'keeper and that was Tony.

But on that grey un-floodlit December day with expectancy in mind and my hero's name printed in the programme, a new name was thrust upon me by the P.A. announcer - Ken Hewkins. 

My mind was ablaze with unanswered questions!  Had Tony 'the cat' been sold to someone terrible like Arsenal or (worse) Chelsea?  Had he been deported back to Gibraltar to await some strange fate?  And of most importance, was this man Hewkins going to become my new hero?

Oh so many questions that needed answers!

In the event I discovered that Hewkins was a late replacement for an injured Macedo and since arriving at the Cottage some years earlier had always been destined to play second fiddle.  He was also a rare phenomenon in Fulham circles having won a Scottish Cup Final medal with Clyde and also being regular penalty taker for the stiffs.

Next to understudy Macedo was Dave Underwood who could, with some justification, be described as being in the twilight of his career not making a weighty contribution to Bedford Jezzard's youth policy at the age of 33!

He didn't get a single game in '62/63 as Macedo was ever present.  Underwood of course was ex Watford and he lasted a couple of years before Jack McClelland arrived from Arsenal. 

McClelland - a Northern Ireland international who represented his country as a Fulham player - had spent most of his career with the Gunners as understudy to Jack Kelsey and was destined for a similar role or to share duties with Macedo for the next few years.  He grabbed his chance late in 1965 when he replaced my hero between the sticks for the annual battle away from the basement of Division One.

Next season it was back to the reserves for Jack but with the arrival of Ian Seymour in 1966 the writing was on the wall.  Unspeakable of unspeakable Macedo was sold to Colchester in 1968 and while McClelland stayed on he was again largely second choice. 

Tragically, Jack McClelland died in the late 1970's but not before he had helped a then non-league Barnet to an FA Trophy victory at Wembley.

In my goalkeeping eyes, an era ended when those heady days of Tony 'Elio' Macedo ruling the roost finished but nonetheless, let's raise our glasses to his able and unsung understudies.

Thanks, Mike. Brings back some memories. Tony lived in Raynes Park (as did I) .

LittleErn

Macedo was by far the most exciting goalie I saw at FFC, but like VDS he did make some howlers - especially in the cup semi-final replay against Man U at Highbury, where he gifted the ball to Charlton who did not miss! Schwarzer was, as someone said, quietly in command of his area and unflappable and VDS pulled off some great moments. Difficult to choose between them but all three were definitely better than Ian Black.