watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Recruitment same as last season apparently

Started by Dodger53, June 12, 2019, 09:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodger53

I see from the notes of the recent FST meeting that the club don't acknowledge their recruitment policy was flawed. Buying players in the closing minutes of the window is not their fault......just that every other club did it better.... are you really sure you didn't get it wrong?

..FOF..

Other club did it better?

Not a good mindset to blame it on over a dozen other teams.

The question I hope that they will be asking soon is "How can I do it better?" or "What can I improve on to get better players?"

This is standard corporate way of having accountability... I hope Shahid can pass on some of his business skills to the Fulham's management.

hovewhite

If shad does nothing to address it,which I think will happen as he has put money into the club but as in investment for his departure whenever that happens.
His leadership in my view has been poor.

filham

We must have been the laughing stock of the Premier League, £100 million spent, three managers and runaway relegation contenders from an early date.
The best the recruitment team should expect is "must do better"

bog

What a load of nonsense. They knew where the problem lye well before January and T Kant promised 'loads of signings' ...then the window opened but it might as well remained slammed shut. Rubbish. If that is not flawed the I would hate to see our club when it is.

092.gif 

Sting of the North

Since it appears from the previous posts that it is very obvious, can someone maybe help us not in the know and maybe break down what our recruitment policy is, and what parts of it are hugely flawed?

Because if it is based on unsatisfying results, then it could of course be either a policy problem and/or a problem with executing said policy in a satisfying manner. And even that is of course extremely simplified, since the results of recruitment is very much also dependent on other factors.   

Southcoastffc

"............the relegation suffered didn't necessarily mean that there were lessons to be learned from the overall approach or that changes were now needed, albeit the season obviously did not go as they would have liked it to...........the aim for the coming season is promotion and nothing will change when it comes to the recruitment process. Transfer decisions will chiefly be in the hands of Tony Khan and Scott Parker.  The system works as it has done previously: players will be signed on the basis that they fit the necessary data and scouting requirements. It is then up to the manager if he wants the player and finally, it is about if that deal can be negotiated and financed." 

I don't normally swear but I am making an exception today.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bog

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 12, 2019, 10:45:30 AM
"............the relegation suffered didn't necessarily mean that there were lessons to be learned from the overall approach or that changes were now needed, albeit the season obviously did not go as they would have liked it to...........the aim for the coming season is promotion and nothing will change when it comes to the recruitment process. Transfer decisions will chiefly be in the hands of Tony Khan and Scott Parker.  The system works as it has done previously: players will be signed on the basis that they fit the necessary data and scouting requirements. It is then up to the manager if he wants the player and finally, it is about if that deal can be negotiated and financed." 

I don't normally swear but I am making an exception today.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Surely Scott Parker does make comments based on common sense?   :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

LittleErn

"....players will be signed on the basis that they fit the necessary data and scouting requirements. It is then up to the manager if he wants the player...."

So Scott will be fishing in a small pool of data scrubbed fish. this is the wrong way round. The manager should identify his targets, the scouts should review them and make recommendations based on WATCHING them play. Data should then be considered but it should NOT be the deciding factor. Why? Because the stats cannot take into account the quality of the opposition. Bad stats might rule a player out of consideration, but good stats might not be repeated at a higher level, so should only be taken as confirmation of the manager and scouts' assessment. 

Baszab

I know that in KS' first season in charge - he and the scouting team presented a list of about 20 targets including proven Championship players - this list was binned by TK and KS was given new "targets"

I am sure SP now doesn't need to bother - as usual he will be given the list by TK - who knows less than my grandma on the correct players to bring in

bill taylors apprentice

This in a nutshell is the problem.
Its been explained to me by a friend who knows someone in the know (believe that if you wish) that in recent times and under the present regime the data & scouting departments often offers players that are not on the wanted list of the HC.
It often over rides the HC's proposals on who he says he needs and rejects players he has named by putting forward other players that the stats and scouting say meets his criteria.
The so called managers final "tick" is ambiguous as it often only gives him names to choose (tick!) from a list that he has had little to do with.
The whole idea that the man who picks the team has the final say on signings is misleading due to the list generally only offering players presented by the stats & Scouting department.

toshes mate

TK offered explanations on FST questions about recruitment stating '[he] had had two good seasons in 2016/17, and 2017/18' as if to suggest that 2018/19 was 'a blip with mitigating circumstances (e.g. Mawson's injuries)'.  The corollary of that would lead me to suggest that on that basis Jokanovic deserved commensurate similar latitude for his 'blip with mitigating circumstances (e.g. Mawon's injuries)' since TK also argued that Seri and Anguissa 'were for the future', whatever that was supposed to mean.  His excuse for the winter window was players not wanting to leave their clubs or being refused permission to do so.   Players 'not wanting to leave their club' can also be read as 'not wanting to join FFC', and refusals of clubs to engage can be read as 'pipe dreams' as far from reality as you can get.

It is inconsistency and failure to accept responsibility for fault that always compounds errors in any workplace, whatever the nature of that work place.   That holds true whether or not nepotism is at work.  It is time TK measured himself by the same yardstick he measures the worth of his coaches, and so on.

Riverside

I agree with all the concerns raised here

But looking for a sliver lining many flawed processes can made to work with personal relationships

I don't think Klein and Joka spoke with each other . I have no idea how Joka was with Talbot .

And I would be surprised if he had good informal contact with Tony Khan . I think it was a more formal respect based relationship

Parker on the other hand is Mr relationship and is liked ( more than respected ) and he may well be able to work and manage the system better than Jokanovic ?

Or am I grabbing straws

hovewhite

Two Ton Ted

After last season it would be nice to think that a important lesson to be learnt in player recruitment is basic understanding of English.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

toshes mate

Quote from: Riverside on June 12, 2019, 12:24:57 PM
But looking for a sliver lining many flawed processes can made to work with personal relationships
I suspect this is key to the whole puzzle as to why it hasn't worked because relationships have not been 'business like'.  A part of that may be TK's special circumstances as being the owner's son.  I personally believe it goes much deeper than that. It could simply involve the age old 'networks' that professional football has, to a very large extent, relied upon throughout its history and are not for exposure to 'ordinary' folk.  It may be that TK is simply unable to hold meaningful relationships within that network and has decided, not unreasonably, to fight for his rights to be a part of it.  You are right to suggest that SP could be better placed than his predecessors were, but looking for a silver lining may be a risky and long term gamble if TK maintains his inability to consider the obvious i.e. he cannot improve without accepting his own shortcomings when and if they are pointed out to him. 

Jims Dentist

OMG.
I wonder if I can possibly cancel the ST I have just bought!

S.F.Sorrow

I don't see how Mawson's injury can be a 'mitigating circumstance' when they knew he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. Ok, so he got another injury later but that doesn't change the fact that TK actually planned to start the season with Mawson injured.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 12, 2019, 03:09:10 PM
I don't see how Mawson's injury can be a 'mitigating circumstance' when they knew he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. Ok, so he got another injury later but that doesn't change the fact that TK actually planned to start the season with Mawson injured.

We seem to sign a succession of players injured or not match fit enough to start a game. A massive flaw in the recruitment process IMO.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Statto

"............the relegation suffered didn't necessarily mean that there were lessons to be learned from the overall approach or that changes were now needed, albeit the season obviously did not go as they would have liked it to...........the aim for the coming season is promotion and nothing will change when it comes to the recruitment process.

Is this a quote from the May FST meeting?
If so, that is a bloody outrage.
It is a continuation of TK's performance in the March meeting where blamed relegation on other people and things beyond his control.
Sorry but he is a disgusting specimen of mankind and deserves all the abuse he gets on Twitter, and more.
Classic spoilt rich kid with no idea how useless he is because his dad pays people not to tell him